Start by marking “The Plant-Based Solution: A Vegan Cardiologist's Plan to Save Your Life and the Planet” as Want to Read:

With more and more physicians promoting grass-fed beef, free-range eggs, and organic butter as miracle foods, have we forgotten about the scientifically proven power of a vegan diet? Leading cardiologist Dr. Joel Kahn wants to set the record straight--eating plants can save your life and the planet too.

With The Plant-Based Solution, Dr. Kahn provides a comprehensive guide
Published January 1st 2018 by Sounds True

To ask other readers questions about The Plant-Based Solution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plant-Based Solution

Start your review of The Plant-Based Solution: A Vegan Cardiologist's Plan to Save Your Life and the Planet
Kathleen
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mom was right! Eat your vegetables! Kahn presents compelling evidence that a vegan diet is the healthiest diet and can even reverse heart disease. Indeed, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid services (CMS) has approved only two reimbursable programs for intensive cardiac rehabilitation (ICR). One is called the Pritikin ICR program, and the other is the Ornish ICR program. Both are plant-based programs combined with exercise and support for cardiac patients.

Improved heart health is just one of th
Kristy K
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is by far the most comprehensive and detailed book regarding a plant based diet that I've read. Kahn gives example after example of research results and his own patients’ testimonies as to the positive effects of a vegan diet (he’s a cardiologist). It can be quite dense at times, but I appreciated all of the studies shown.

Kahn details how a plant based diet can lessen and even reverse many medical issues. I’ve seen first hand the proof of this through a few friends who are vegan (one had a
Melissa
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book and I like Dr. Kahn. I took a point off because he recommends soy and I found it confusing that he states multiple times throughout the book to avoid oils, but a lot of the recipes use olive oil. Otherwise, a good book.
Stephanie
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love good books that promote healthy eating/vegetarianism, so I was pleased to receive The Plant-Based Solution by Joel Kahn, M.D. from Sounds True Publishing and NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. As a non-carnivore for 30+ years, I have had some concern about whether or not I am getting enough protein in my diet, how much protein a woman my size actually needs, and whether I really need as much protein as my husband keeps reminding me I do.

I’m kind of a skeptic about books which cla
SheAintGotNoShoes
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
A good primer for the new vegan or the vegan curious. Nothing new for the seasoned veteran.

I much preferred Dr Michael Greger's ' How not to die ', it was an easier and far more enjoyable read and even at over 500 pages, books that I rarely like to read at that length anymore, it was a breeze and I finished it in about 4 or 5 days.
Bill Warren
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nutrition
This is a really good starting book to jump into a plant based lifestyle, it gives a good overview of the benefits to make the switch. Dr. Kahn presents some of the science behind his reasoning but doesn’t overwhelm the reader. It is a great book to reference back to because it introduces the reader to many other of the leading plant based advocates and resources.
Neil Gaudet
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a book clearly aimed at someone considering a plant based diet. It’s not really valuable to someone (like myself) that has been eating this way for a long time. However it would an excellent gift to a family member or friend that is “veg curious.” It’s full of recipes to get you through the first 21 days and I know most new people are worried about what to cook. My biggest criticism is that it’s a bit simplified, doesn’t dig deep enough (aimed at beginners) and does get a bit dramatic wi ...more
Kaila
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaway-wins
This book is packed with info and sources. Hurray! The writing keeps it from being too dense; it reads like a personal memoir and not a thick nonfiction info-session. I went into this thinking I already knew a lot but I learned so much. I'm excited to try some of the recipes in it!
Michelle
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I read this book after listening to an interview of Dr. Khan on the Rich Roll podcast, because the podcast episode was so so good (Is Butter Really Back?) Hint: no. I found the book informative and hopeful, if a bit light academically.
Ammar
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Good reminder on the benefits of plant-based eating. Giving it a 3 bc it seems a bit too ideological and I prefer the scientific and proven dash literature more.
Rachel Oppitz
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lots of delicious sounding recipes.
Frieda
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Dr. Kahn offers an overview of the benefits of a plant-based diet and what you can incorporate into your diet. He offers science based back information about what eating less or no meat will do for the body. This is an easy read with many illustrations backing up the evidence of this healthy diet.
Connie
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book because I wanted to add more plant-based foods to my diet. I didn’t expect to read such compelling reasons to completely change to that way of life. The information out there is at times completely baffling. I’ve read books that say adopting a diet loaded with fat is one the healthiest on the planet. Then there are the middle of the road diets that tell you eat everything you enjoy in moderation, and even ones that say we should give up all wheat products. There are some th ...more
Jeffrey Cohan
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, veganism
This is a very useful book for anyone with health concerns who is thinking about adopting a plant-based diet.

Dr. Kahn -- one of the most prominent, respected and credible leaders in the vegan world -- lays out the science-based rationale for ditching animal products and offers a 21-day meal plan, complete with recipes.

One of the things distinguishing Dr. Kahn from some other vegan-advocates in the medical community is that he doesn't limit himself to health concerns. In this book, he also writes
William J.
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I won this book from Good Reads First Reads and was happy to receive the book. Dr. Joel K. Kahn, MD has presented an excellent 21-day plan to power your health but what I liked the best was all the recipes. The recipes alone are worth buying this book. We tried two of the smoothie recipes, the Lentil Loaf, the Easy Black Bean Burgers, the Lemon Poppy Breakfast Cookies, and the Energy Balls. We loved all the recipes we tried. There are many more recipes we can't wait to try. Our health is very im ...more
Liz
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This felt like a summary of Dr. Michael Greger’s How Not to Die, which could be good for those who aren’t inclined to read 500-page science-dense books. To be clear—this was still a good book with wonderful recipes at the end, but the writing was a bit frenetic at times and the message sometimes redundant. I will still share this book with others who are considering a plant-based diet, however, because it is a quick read with sound information based in mostly peer-reviewed sources, and it touche ...more
Rick
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an easy read with just enough science to provide proof and references to back the stated facts. I’ve just recently converted to Whole food plant based diet and am absorbing as much info as I can to validate and understand the health Beni fits. Dr. Kahn provides excellent narrative on the health benefits based on not only his personal experiences but sited studies and individual experiences . I highly recommend this book for someone looking to confirm the health benefits of a Whole Food ...more
Sheri
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, let me say that diet and nutrition books are some of my favorites. This book is filled with information I had not read before and I try to keep up on the latest nutrition facts, not fads..
Food can cure you. Plain and simple... actually, not so simple if you have a difficult time giving up your treats and meats but so worth it to live a life full of pleasure instead of pain.
Kristine
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nutrition
This book is like a mini summary of some better books out there by Ornish, Greger, Esselstyn, Campbell, and Barnard, but I still like it. It's like a refresher course on nutrition. It's not particularly well written or thorough, but, again, I still like it. Where Goodreads came up with that subtitle I do not know. My copy and all I've seen online are subtitled "America's Healthy Heart Doc's Plan to Power Your Health." Review of the text only, as I haven't made any of the recipes yet.
Allysia K
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like keeping up with nutrition literature and this was a solid, if standard, plant-based one. It emphasizes diet and health, but touches on environmental and ethical concerns too. I found the writing to be very clear and easy to understand, and I like that the recipes are simple and appealing (with handy tips sprinkled throughout, a useful addition).
Sherri M. Weiler
Beware!

This is a vegan book. I read the Look Here pages and what Amazon chose to excerpt did not mention vegan, so I bought it. It was too late to get a refund, so I feel I wasted my money. If vegan is what you want, you'll happy.
Mike
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was just OK. I've recently read some similar books and found this to be redundant (although redundancy is also consistency). I just didn't find this book as informative. The last quarter of the book was recipes which don't make for the most exciting reading.
Sandra Scott
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Similar to the book, Forks Over Knives but again stressed the scientific studies for why plant based eating is good for a person and the environment.
Chloe Brzozowski
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great book to start your vegan reads journey. This book is full of information about how impactful a whole foods, plant based diet can have on the body, mind and soul.
Tyler
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science
This book is basically a less-well written version of How Note to Die by Dr. Michael Greger. The other book is more worth your time.
Amanda Rahimian
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We finally finished this book! I read this book aloud to my husband. It’s short, it’s well-written, it’s fascinating, and it’s motivational. Dr. Kahn discusses why plants will help fix your health (along with healthy lifestyle choices such as exercise, stress management, and social interactions). He explains concisely why a plant-based diet will reverse or prevent specific diseases, as well as why you should eat plants from the ethical perspective as well as for environmental concerns. He then w ...more
She
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Dr. Kahn is awesome! I was excited to see this book by him had come out. It's filled with research to support the benefits of eating a plant based diet. There are some recipes that I want to try as well. Lots of good information all the way around. Two thumbs up!
Peter Rice
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are not a dedicated Vegan, this book might just push you all the way in. The author has discovered all of the arguments in favor, and arguments against eating meat, etc. For those of us who are already there, this is an easy read, confirming and fun.
Lisa Haneberg
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Kahn knows his stuff and is in alignment with many other physicians who are advocating plant based diets. I like this book because, although he addresses health in general, he emphasizes things from his perspective as a cardiologist. Very helpful and well researched/cited.
Jo-Ann Houde
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Message of the book is consistent with other nutrition books I've read: eat more plants for a healthier life!

• Proteinaholic: How Our Obsession with Meat Is Killing Us and What We Can Do About It
  • Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure
  • The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good!
  • Undo It!: How Simple Lifestyle Changes Can Reverse Most Chronic Diseases
  • Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
  • How Not to Diet: The Groundbreaking Science of Healthy, Permanent Weight Loss
  • Fast Food Genocide: How Processed Food is Killing Us and What We Can Do About It
  • The Cheese Trap: How Breaking a Surprising Addiction Will Help You Lose Weight, Gain Energy, and Get Healthy
  • How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Eat to Beat Disease: The New Science of How Your Body Can Heal Itself
  • The Longevity Diet: Discover the New Science Behind Stem Cell Activation and Regeneration to Slow Aging, Fight Disease, and Optimize Weight
  • My Beef with Meat: The Healthiest Argument for Eating a Plant-Strong Diet - Plus 140 New Engine 2 Recipes
  • The No Meat Athlete Cookbook: Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes to Fuel Your Workouts—and the Rest of Your Life
  • The Healthiest Diet on the Planet: Why the Foods You Love - Pizza, Pancakes, Potatoes, Pasta, and More - Are the Solution to Preventing Disease and Looking and Feeling Your Best
  • The Blue Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who've Lived the Longest
  • The Nutritarian Diet
  • Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss
Dr. Joel K. Kahn is a plant-based cardiologist and is the Professor of Medicine at Wayne State University

He passionately lectures throughout the U.S.A. about the health benefits of a plant-based anti-ageing diet inspiring a new generation of thought leaders to think scientifically and critically about the body’s ability to heal itself through proper nutrition.

He has written articles for Reader's

News & Interviews