Start by marking “Holy Rascals: Advice for Spiritual Revolutionaries” as Want to Read:
Holy Rascals: Advice for Spiritual Revolutionaries

Holy Rascals: Advice for Spiritual Revolutionaries

God is real. Everything we say about God is made up. Holy Rascals is a rousing call to anyone ready to go beyond "isms" and ideologies, and live in the world as a liberating force of justice, compassion, and joy.

"Holy rascals are spiritual culture jammers who use humor, play, creativity, and critical thinking to reveal the human origins of religions—and how religions mask
Published December 1st 2017 by Sounds True

To ask other readers questions about Holy Rascals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Rascals

Start your review of Holy Rascals: Advice for Spiritual Revolutionaries
Curious Reader
This is a fun read. I enjoyed it. I was expecting much more but still it's cool. Definitely recommended for spiritual followers and readers.

Note: I received a free e-copy of the book via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. Special thanks to the author for giving me a chance to read it.
Gem BookEater
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a book for those that believe in a higher power but are somewhat disillusioned by religion. As the blurb says ‘God is real. Everything we say about God is made up. Holy Rascals is a rousing call to anyone ready to go beyond “isms” and ideologies, and live in the world as a liberating force of justice, compassion, and joy.’

Inside it reminds us that twenty-five hundred years ago Diogenes exclaimed, “I am not an Athenian or a Greek but a citizen of the world.” Today many of us are strugglin
Kevin Hogan
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book via NetGalley edition.

The thesis of this book is that lowercase-r religion is best when it brings people together, gives us compassion for one another, and so on. Capital-R Religion (or as the author would say, Name-Brand Religion) is problematic when it becomes more about the creation and perpetuation of itself, the husbanding of its power, and the point where it sets itself above all other religions (and by extension sets its practitioners above all other practitioners).

There
Kaye
Jan 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Generally, I love everything Rabbi Shapiro has to say, but not this. Too overtly whimsical, choppy, and the end was a plagarization of The Monster at the End of this Book, in the most maudlin and cheesiest of ways.
Johnette
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I really like how this book makes me think from a different prospective. It validates some of the questions I've had over the years and makes a lot of sense. It won't be for everybody, I think it requires an open and curious mind. A good read.
John Kaufmann
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Mediocre. There were some pithy parts to it. But generally I didn't like the author's holier-than-thou attitude -- calling oneself a "holy rascal" epitomizes it, if you get my point (i.e., only the rebellious , like the author, can expect to achieve some kind of enlightened state.)
Stefani Goerlich
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book. And I did love certain lines, some pages, specific moments. There were elements that captured me and spoke to my soul. But on the whole, it seemed infatuated with its own cheek and not nearly as deep as the author wanted it to be. This was 5 good ideas expanded into 165 mediocre paragraphs.
Candice
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
While I love Rabbi Rami's writings and general slant on things, I think this book was a little repetitive and choppily written. I found the related "How to Be A Holy Rascal" audiobook to be MUCH better.
Blue
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rabbi Rami, Thank Goddess

I've longed for Divine Wisdom from a beloved Circle Of Women and I'm delighted & proud to add him to the Holy (Rascally) Circle of the wise ones whose words get me through this strange, wonderful & terrifying journey of life.
Matt
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maybe a bit 'too' cheeky on its surface, but offers a thoughtful and liberating approach to the practice and shaping of religion.
David
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun, whimsical, profound, and sarcastic lens on religion. Thumbs up!
Lori
Aug 23, 2018

• Breathing Underwater: Spirituality and the 12 Steps
  • Holy Envy: Finding God in the Faith of Others
  • Drinking from the River of Light: The Life of Expression
  • Christianity After Religion: The End of Church and the Birth of a New Spiritual Awakening
  • The Sign and the Sacrifice: The Meaning of the Cross and Resurrection
  • The Twisted Ones
  • The Song of the Dodo: Island Biogeography in an Age of Extinctions
  • Everything Trump Touches Dies: A Republican Strategist Gets Real About the Worst President Ever
  • Teaching with Heart: Poetry That Speaks to the Courage to Teach
  • Good Poems
  • No Way: A Guide for the Spiritually 'Advanced'
  • When the Heart Waits: Spiritual Direction for Life's Sacred Questions
  • God and Empire: Jesus Against Rome, Then and Now
  • The Rumi Prescription: How an Ancient Mystic Poet Changed My Modern Manic Life
  • Dignity: The Essential Role It Plays in Resolving Conflict
  • How Beautiful the Ordinary: Twelve Stories of Identity
  • The Last Temptation of Christ
  • Buddhism: An Introduction to the Buddha's Life, Teachings, and Practices (The Essential Wisdom Library)