Start by marking “Mortal Sins (World of the Lupi, #5)” as Want to Read:
Mortal Sins (World of the Lupi, #5)

Mortal Sins

(World of the Lupi #5)

FBI agent Lily Yu is in North Carolina with her lover and mate, Rule Turner, Lu Nuncio of the Nokolai werewolf clan. He is there to take custody of his son from the boy's grandmother. It's a purely personal trip until Rule, in wolf form, finds three bodies in a shallow grave. They carry the stench of death magic, which makes the murders a federal crime. Lily takes charge o ...more
Published February 3rd 2009 by Berkley (first published January 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mortal Sins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mortal Sins

carol.
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Every now and then I read a review that mentions something along the lines of, "I'm not going to summarize this book because you can read the description."

You kids are so cute with your functioning memories. Despite having placed book #7 of the series on my TBR list, I did not remember the general plots of books #3-#6, so I decided that I must have skipped them. Until I reached the last third of Mortal Sins and recognized a particularly tense emotional scene. I thought I remembered how it turned
Choko
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
*** 4.25 ***

The more I read this series, the more I like it. What I like about it - it tells its story through actions and series of events, it does not "tell us" what to think and feel, it just lets us experience it. I have noticed that I have become quite impatient toward stories which get bogged down into telling us all the emotions the characters are feeling, just to justify their actions or angst. Thus the Lupi series has my favor at this time - it just is. Action, reaction, life and death,
Jilly
She did what she did out of choice, and his Chosen chose him over and over.

Lily and Rule were thrown together in the werewolf equivalent of an arranged marriage, but since then they have grown to love each other. Still, it may have felt like a rip-off that we never got to see them in a romance, and organically fall in love. But, little by little, we have been seeing them grow into a great couple. The big question would always be in our minds, though: would they have picked each other without t
edge of bubble
I'm not in a mood to do a review rn, so I'll be short and a little bit spoilery...

Nice look at ghost stories. Plot was different as always.

I loved what happened with the bond. It let us see whether the relationship between Rule and Lily was real or forced upon them.

Finally Toby turned into a reality in their lives instead of being just a plot point. I don't like when kids are hidden in the closet to take them out only when story needs a shake down. I loved his PoVs. He is really cute and I felt
Catherine
I was very glad to get back to Lily and Rule as the main characters. I think that switching to a different set of lead characters for a book or two was a great idea to keep the series fresh, and I was really excited to read about Cynna and Cullen originally, but I ended up not really enjoying their storyline that much. So, getting back to Lily and Rule was something of a relief.

This isn't a series that I feel you can pick up in the middle. Each book builds on each other and I think you'll lose
Julie (jjmachshev)
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-reads
I just adore Eileen Wilks' Lupi series. "Mortal Sins" is book five and heroine Lily Yu is the best. She's a take-charge, don't take crap, stand up for what's right regardless of the cost kinda gal...and she has one of the sexiest four-to-two-legged wolf guys you'll ever read about. This is one series that just keeps getting bigger and better.

Lily and Rule are in North Carolina on a personal vacation. Rule is about to finally get custody of his son--a son who will likely one day become the Rho of
Jen Davis
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’ll admit, I haven’t been 100% sold on the Rune and Lily relationship. One of the reason I liked Night Season so much is because I enjoyed watching the romance evolve between Cynna and Cullen. Theirs isn’t a mate bond; they’re together because they want to be… because they love each other. In this book, I finally felt the love that ties together Lily and Rune as something more than a physical connection. It’s real. It would exist even without bond. And it made such a difference.

The story picks
Mei
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
This keep getting better and better! :)
I love how every book introduces new elements to the world! It's the most excellent thing in this series!
Obviously the characters are wonderful too!
What I enjoy most is their being constant to themselves! They don't act stupid, they don't rush head-fist into danger! They have a healthy reasoning and, incredibly, for this world is a place where magic, strange things occur, everything makes sense!!!!
On to the next... :)
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

There is a lot going on in this book, both on a personal front for Lily and Rule, and in the clans. I think that Wilks did a great job of balancing out the storyline of Toby's custody with the progression,of Rule's role in Leidolf and the "Lady's" overall agenda.

Emily
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ahh, so nice to get back to Lily and Rule! Their story took a few surprising directions this time, and the twist with the wraith was great. I love this author’s imagination. Dialogue got a little explainy at times, but the story built momentum like it always does, and I stayed up way past my bedtime to finish.
Sophia
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pnr-uf
Finally back to this series. I love World of the Lupi and got distracted from it, but it is my goal to get caught up on the series this year.

So yes, this is an engaging urban fantasy series that focuses on the author's intricate and fabulous werewolf world, but isn't limited to weres. All other forms of supernatural drop in for the series which is an exciting blend of paranormal, suspense, action, and romance.

It is an ongoing story that really needs to be read in order to get the full, wondrous
Mitabird
Feb 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Mortal Sins was excellent and this series just keeps getting better and better. I was happy that Lily and Rule were the main focus in this book. They are in North Carolina to get full custody of his son, when Rule finds some bodies in the woods. These bodies have a trace of death magic and Lily starts the investigation of what killed them and why. This story was suspenseful and kept me on the edge of my seat. I enjoyed every aspect of this book and I cannot wait to read the next one.
Shannon C.
4.5 stars: Great paranormal romance mixed with a good amount of mystery and adventure

FBI agent Lily Yu is on vacation with her werewolf mate Rule Turner. They are in NC awaiting a court case to gain custody of his son. While running as a wolf, Rule comes across several bodies. Since its determined that they were killed due to magical means, Lily's boss asks her to take the case. With her gift as a Sensitive she is one of the few who is immune to Death Magic. There are lots of twists and turns to
Trix

So many topics touched in this installment:
(view spoiler)

So many things happening at once. Never a dull moment when this pair is front and center. This i
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Dec 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: UF or PNR fans
Grade: A+ and/or strong 5 Stars

Mortal Sins has action, mystery, a strong story, convincing dialogue, a little bit of horror and romance. The storytelling is focused and fast-paced. What’s not to love?

The Story
Lily and Rule are in North Carolina for personal and clan reasons. Rule is seeking custody of his son Toby, who has long been kept from him by his former lover and her mother. Carrying partial Leidolf mantle, he will also perform the gens compleo, a ceremony accepting young wolves as full
Cathy (cathepsut)
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
I liked this much better than Night Season.

The story centered around Lily and Rule, it is set in the here and now and not some other fantastic realm, werewolves play a large part of it and the plot that developed in Blood Lines is picked up again. It's a cop story with shapeshifters, ghosts and magic.

I liked the new characters, especially the cops and FBI agents. Alex also developped nicely. And visiting Toby's home and meeting his grandmother and mother was a nice addition to Wilks' world.

Hope
Steph
Mortal Sins was my favorite installment of World of the Lupi so far. I enjoyed trying to ID the mysterious murderer Lily was tracking in North Carolina. And, Toby, Rule's son, is absolutely adorable. I really liked that he had a larger part in this installment; I look forward to seeing more of him in the future.

With each installment, my enthusiasm about this series grows. The character growth continues to impress. I highly recommend this series to all fans of UF.

(✮✮✮✮)
Katyana
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved getting back to Lily and Rule. I loved seeing them both learn to make room for the other in their lives, learn to incorporate the other as their friend, their confidante, their advisor. Honestly, this is one of the best, most real relationships that I have seen in a novel, and I am really loving it.

I don't have any complaints about this one, honestly... I gobbled it up. It was great getting this in-depth look at Rule's family, and I hope this isn't the last we'll see of Louise.
Kathleen
Not bad, but the tone felt almost academic and therefore slow. I put it down several times. The author fills the pages with analytical discussions and thoughts about the precise nature of the double mantle, the soul, analysis of blood magic, lupine cancer, the mate bond, religion, and police procedures. Plus, there's the issues of child custody.

I did like the characters, including some new secondary characters. And the setting in North Carolina felt real.

But this could be a book to skip.

Several
Julie
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
wonderful addition to the series. Love Lily and Rule :)
Fangs for the Fantasy
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lily Yu and her mate, Rule Turner are completing the legal procedure to get Rule full custody of his son. It’d be nice if the could do it interrupted- but the looming politics of the press attention for the “lupi prince” and the complication of Rule now carrying the magical Mantle of the Leidolf clan despite them being his ancestral enemies

Then people start dying – and in the post-Turning world with wild magic and long gone creatures now emerging, this is far from a simple murder. And unsimple m
Janet Robel
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sorry, this was not one of my faves. In all fairness, I haven't read the others so I was quite lost with this one. I also felt like there was too much going on for me to really enjoy it. There was a lot thrown in here that didn't make sense to me. We have a story with werewolves and now wraiths in the mix. Lily and Rule are good characters, and if there wasn't so much going on, may have been a great read. The surrounding plot just didn't hold my interest and made me keep putting the book down.
Daisa
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another success. As long as these books continue to be well written, interesting and full of twists and turns that I can never figure out, I’ll continue to read them. Its kind of crazy, because I haven’t really stuck with a series this diligently in a while. Usually i’ll read one or two books and then go off and read 5 or 10 other books, come back to the series, rinse and repeat. But for the past three months, I’ve been for the most part reading World of Lupi books. I love them!

Mortal Sins takes

Kt
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Lily and Rule are back in the forefront in this book. What started out as a trip to pick up Rule's son, Toby, quickly turns into a huge mess when Rule stumbles upon three bodies stinking of death magic. Of course Lily is assigned the case, but she quickly learns things are not as they seem. To complicate things further, Toby's mother is now trying to contest Rule gaining custody. Adding into the trouble is the mess with Rule holding both the Leidolf and Nokolai mantles, and all the politics that ...more
PepperP0t
(4.75 Stars Actually)

In my new favorite for the series, Lily and Rule are in South Carolina to complete arrangements so they will be sole guardians to Rule's son Toby's and stumble into a Death Magic Case.

Lily's case introduces a new entity for her that requires the expertise of favorites Cynna & Cullen take a field trip to South Carolina. The elusive culprit twines into the introduction of Toby's mother and Toby's growing into his role as a lupus approaching first change and as Rule's son.
Amy A
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-of-lupi
I was a little hesitant to start this book, the premise just didn't seem too interesting, but honestly after reading it, this book has been the strongest in the series so far to me. It goes back to simplicity. It's a crime solving book with a paranormal twist to it. The series started out this way but beginning with the second book they all started getting very much steeped in mythology of demons, lupi, and other species. While I know that all these things are a part of the world that Wilks has ...more
Chachic
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's good that the focus is back to Lily and Rule. We see their relationship develop further, here's a passage that I really liked:

"She didn't speak. She just held him.

And undid him. A slow tsunami shuddered up his spine, all the crammed feelings unwinding in a mudslide of fear and fury, razors and sludge. All, all at once, rolling up through him so that all he could do was hold on. Hold on.

He wrapped himself around her and inhaled hard, bringing the citrus of her shampoo inside him, the musk of
Sandra
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Book 5 and we are back to Lily Yu and Rule Turner, after our brief aside with Cynna & Cullen in Book 4.

Rule & Lily have gone to Halo, to gain custody of Rule's son, Toby. It's supposed to be a straightforward case in front of the Judge, so we know something is about to go wrong.

To unwind from the stress, Rule goes for a run and discovers bodies in the woods, covered in death magic. He notifies Lily, who is an FBI Special Agent with the magic division. Turns out the local law enforcement
Shari Kay
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr-uf
This was pretty good. I always prefer reading about Lily and Rule than any of the side characters. But this series is not about the romance... not totally. Doesn't mean the romantic relationship isn't strong... because it is. Rule and Lily have the mate bond, but neither take their love for granted, each giving and taking equally. They are truly partners. Neither has any limits about what they would do for the other.

I thought this one set a pretty good pace. The main plot had enough mystery to i
~Leslie~
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book-nook
I think this is my favorite in this absolutely wonderful series. I've been calling this Urban Fantasy for grownups and this was the most grown up book yet. We are back with Rule and Lily, who are in North Carolina to finish up the custody hearing for Toby. Lily then becomes involved in a murder mystery that eventually involves Rule and Toby. Through all of this, their relationship matures and grows even stronger. From the first page I was completely wrapped up in what was going on in this world. ...more
  • Inked (World of the Lupi, #5.5)
  • Witch Craft (Nocturne City #4)
  • Fatal Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #3)
  • Howling Moon  (A Tale of the Sazi, #4)
  • The Fire King (Dirk & Steele, #9)
  • Dragon Moon (Moon, #9)
  • On the Prowl (Tales of an Urban Werewolf, #2)
  • My Life is not a Horror Movie, Derek (I Know Where Babies Come From, Derek, #2)
  • Frostbound: The Dark Forgotten
  • Hidden Moon (Nightcreature, #7)
  • Cold Blooded (Jessica McClain, #3)
  • Play It Again
  • Firewalker (Stormwalker, #2)
  • Kitty Raises Hell (Kitty Norville, #6)
Eileen Wilks’ first book, a Silhouette Desire published in 1996, hit the USA Today Bestseller List and was nominated for Romantic Times' Best First Short Contemporary award. Since then, her books have appeared consistently on national bestseller lists. With thirty two books in print and novellas in nine anthologies, she has been a finalist in the prestigious Rita Awards three times, as well as rec ...more

World of the Lupi (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Tempting Danger (World of the Lupi, #1)
  • Mortal Danger (World of the Lupi, #2)
  • Blood Lines (World of the Lupi, #3)
  • Night Season (World of the Lupi, #4)
  • Blood Magic (World of the Lupi, #6)
  • Blood Challenge (World of the Lupi, #7)
  • Death Magic (World of the Lupi, #8)
  • Mortal Ties (World of the Lupi, #9)
  • Ritual Magic (World of the Lupi, #10)
  • Unbinding (World of the Lupi, #11)
“I see you. I will be careful with the places that hurt.” 11 likes
“Alex, seated on her left, was one of those men who acted like he‟d been issued a certain number of words at birth and didn‟t want to run out. It took a little effort to get him talking,” 7 likes