Start by marking “The Last Bachelor” as Want to Read:
The Last Bachelor

The Last Bachelor

(Mistress #1)

SHE CREATED A STIR

Some found her ingenious, others diabolical. But no one could argue with the success of Lady Antonia Paxton's technique. For the beautiful young widow had made a career out of helping destitute women marry well -- by trapping London's richest young bachelors in compromising positions with her willing ladies, then forcing them to marry.

HE CREATED A
Hardcover, Large Print, 612 pages
Published December 1st 1994 by Wheeler Publishing (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Bachelor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Bachelor

Start your review of The Last Bachelor
Regan Walker
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Victorian Romance At Its Best!

Betina Krahn is a favorite author of mine with her detailed, well-crafted stories. And this is one of my favorite Victorian romances.

Set in London in 1882, a beautiful young widow, Lady Antonia Paxton, occupies her time by saving widows and trapping gentlemen into marrying them by using their own perfidy against them. When a bachelor seeks to take a young widow's virtue--albeit a woman he's ostensibly been courting--Antonia follows them and, interrupting, forces
HR-ML
England 1882. This story started off strong but the last few
chapters tied up the issues too perfectly

Remington, an earl, & widowed Lady Antonia ("Toni") had
opposing views on the roles of men & women. Remy scorned
marriage & wanted all men and women to be self-sufficient.
Toni helped 13 widows, by trapping ea. man getting amorous
w/ a particular widow. (This trope didn't thrill me). She later
regreted her actions. 6 trapped husbands wanted the H to
seduce/ compromise the h, & for
Niranjana Jagadeesan
Sometimes even a predicatable storyline can be enjoyed if the book is executed as impressively as Betina Krahn managed The Last Bachelor. The main characters: Remington Carr and Mrs. Antonia Paxton (the widow), were well developed and realistic. Although I personally did not favour either of them, they were well written and ideal in their characters.

The book was a rather long read and I found myself getting bored in the middle and especially the parts where Remington or Antonia were keeping up
Carol Storm
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The ultimate Victorian romance -- warm, funny, exuberant. And the love scenes are plush, luxurious, and oh-so-discreetly sensual!
Margaret Foxe
This is great classic romance, and my favorite by this author. The historical detail of this work is really well-done. You actually learn a thing or two about the early suffrage movement in Victorian England, and all of the different social obstacles and conventions women had to circumvent in order to gain civil rights. But it doesn't turn into a history lesson, either. The romance is charming, and the hero, who starts out a bit of a misogynist, really redeems himself by the end. If you want a ...more
Jessica
As usual, Mz. Krahns books have so much more depth than the romantic story. All the back and forth learning and teaching of the 2 main characters was interesting, and it gave a lot of the general perspectives of men and women of the day; the situations and opinions regarding the roles of women in marriage and society, and the attempts to break free of societal norms.
Krista
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Every now and again I feel a bit nostalgic and reach for a historical romance. This one sounded uniquely entertaining. The wager made by the match-making widow and the marriage-opposed bachelor hinted at the possibility of humorous situations gone awry as well as plenty of opportunity for lust to turn to love. I was not disappointed. The nobleman being coerced into a corset and an apron was quite funny. What I did not expect was the widow's many companions. I expected young women but found ...more
Corrine
I would give this one 4.25 stars. The first half is amazing, but it falters when Remington tries to hold Antonia to her side of the wager, and never really recovers. Although, once again, this is a glimpse at a fascinating period in history and how social progressiveness rose up against a tide of morality. I’m still confused why this series is called “Mistress” though.
Shaz
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read, Loved both Antonia and Remington. warm and funny, also shed a tear in parts. Lots of other characters involved,
Victorian battle of the sexes.
Jackie
Jun 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in 1994 but set in the 1880s, Krahn's story is a classic battle of the sexes tale: widow Lady Antonia Paxton, who helps widows trick men into marrying them, meets Remington Carr, Earl of Landon, who advocates for women's rights because he feels men are oppressed by having to support women through marriage. The two enter into a bet: Landon will do "women's work" for a fortnight to see if his opinion of the uselessness of women changes; if it doesn't, Antonia will do "men's work" for two ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Okay, this one I did find amusing and remember it. Antonia's focus on getting a woman married off is the worst idea I've ever seen. I do realize many people do this all over the world, but I still disagree with it. In this story, I'm thrilled that Antonia receives her comeuppance. She's kind of annoying to me and I wish she was humiliated a bit more. Remington was not too much better off, but at least he tried. The "wager" was amusing but after a while, I was bored with it. The end is a happily ...more
Maura
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
Historical England 1890's I enjoyed the theme of man vs. women in a classic battle of wills. Loved the setting and various character's that populated the story. Each person learned a lot about themselves and the other sex. This story was funny, romantic and thoughtful. I'm glad I read it.
Nessa
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ONE OF THE GREATEST HISTORICAL ROMANCES I HAVE EVERY READ! KRAHN'S WRITING ENCOMPASSES AND TRANSCENDS BEYOND THE NORMAL STORIES YOU HAVE READ, YET AT THE SAME TIME ADDRESSING ISSUES THAT HAVE BEEN THERE SINCE THE EARLY 80s. THIS WAS A WHOLESOME STORY, THAT STARTED OFF WITH A MAN AND A WOMAN, WHO LOGGED HEADS BECAUSE OF DIFFERING OPINIONS, YET IT WILL SERVE TO BRING THEM TOGETHER.

OUR HERO is a man who was simply dragged into the the mess that the Matrimony Dragon has wrought, and he's an Earl of
Mary23nm
Very good read with some tender 5 star moments.
Linda
I loved it! I certainly didn't want it to end, but I couldn't put the book down: I didn't want to sleep, or do anything else besides reading the next oaragraph, page, chapter. Toni and Remington's story was horribly wonderful! I loved how they changed each other's minds about the opposite sex and marriage. Simply wonderful. I don't remember where I found the book, or how it caught my attention, but I am so glad that I / it did. I discovered a new author, so I will be hunting down more of her ...more
Lisa
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't care for the attitudes, which was the point I guess. The idea was good, though predictable. There were some redeeming moments, and it did improve toward the last quarter of the book. I usually really enjoy Ms Krahn's books, but this one just didn't do it for me. I will try another of her books, though as I do like her writing and humor.
Antoinette
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent genre romance. Very good use of "feminist" women's work and men's work -- the battle of the sexes. Good chemistry between the hero and heroine. The set-up has the right balance of fun and silly. The old ladies are a bit sappy, but that's a minor element.
Joan
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-z-2018
I enjoyed this book, lots of depth and dimension in each of the characters.
Little twists and turns keep you very engaged.
Tells about a lady showing a lord just how much a lady has to do and know and vise versa.
Lots of funny moments to enjoy.
EuroHackie
I made it 460 pages in and I just had to give up. It was beyond verging on the point of ridiculousness - it had tipped over into a full-blown soap opera, and not in a good way.

The first half of the book was delightful. Antonia and Remington are on opposite sides of the marriage question: Antonia sees it as the last bastion of protection for women, whereas Remington sees it as a trap. They make their "woman's wager," where Remington promised to do a fortnight of women's work and if he changed his
Patrizia
Sep 25, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
L'autrice dichiara nella postfazione di essersi documentata: ha compulsato giornali dell'epoca, ha verificato dati storici, ha ricostruito addirittura il carattere e il comportamento della regina Vittoria. Ma tutto questo non impedisce che l'intreccio si presenti come un pasticcio infernale, i cui personaggi pensano e agiscono in modo stravagante e contraddittorio, e, per giunta, senza che un lampo d'ironia lasci immaginare, qua e là, che in fondo si tratta di un gioco, di un (lungo, ...more
Loretta
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: excellent, hot, save
Excellent.

First few pages kinda hard to get thru- but after that- it was a solid page-turner.

I have read it more than once, though years apart. In my 30ies, 40ies and now later 50ies- it delivers, AND against a plethora of other romances I've read since- from the simple to the rawest erotica.

It's the type I always look for- think I've found, then cast aside as a great read- but not a keeper.

This one however is- and I'm sure I'll read it again in another 10 years.

I LOVE how she takes you inside
KP Pryce
I wanted to give this book a higher rating because the characters were well developed and the storyline was refreshingly different. But this battle of the sexes was far too drawn out, and the reading therefore became tedious. The ending was let down as well.
Carmen Long
I don't usually read romance novels but something about this one seemed interesting. But it wasn't really my thing.
Chantal Dupuis
The writing is lovely however I found the story to be a bit repetitive.
Danette Steward
Cute story, but a tad longish.
Katkat
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You will have an idea how the story will develop and end, but still a good read. Made me laugh and touched my heart.
Rebecca
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, a good change of pace from the usual historical romances. Character development was well thought out and evident. Definitely could have been at least 100 pages shorter.
Anna
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sweet-nothings
Betina Krahn tackles the "The Woman Question" in Victorian England with great humor and a classic battle of the sexes.
Fun read for a lazy afternoon ....
Carla Weathers
Nov 21, 2016

• A Duke in the Night (The Devils of Dover #1)
  • Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5)
  • I've Got My Duke to Keep Me Warm (The Lords of Worth, #1)
  • The Duke Buys a Bride (The Rogue Files, #3)
  • A Good Rogue Is Hard to Find (The Lords of Worth, #2)
  • Between the Devil and the Duke (Season for Scandal, #3)
  • The Wedding (Lairds' Fiancées, #2)
  • How to Forget a Duke (Misadventures in Matchmaking, #1)
  • Duke of Pleasure (Maiden Lane, #11)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane, #8)
  • That Scandalous Summer (Rules for the Reckless, #1)
  • There Are Plenty More Dukes in the Sea (The Inheritance Clause Book 1)
  • You're the Earl That I Want (The Lords of Worth, #3)
  • Seven Minutes in Heaven  (Desperate Duchesses by the Numbers, #3; Desperate Duchesses, #9)
  • A Rake Never Changes His Spots (The Inheritance Clause Book 2)
  • Once a Wallflower, Always a Wallflower (The Inheritance Clause Book 3)
  • All's Fair in Love and Debauchery (The Inheritance Clause Book 4)
Krahn, born Betina Maynard, is the second daughter of Dors Maynard and Regina Triplett. Krahn learned to read at the age of four, and began making up her own stories when she was only six. In fifth grade she won a silver "Noble Order of Bookworms" pin for her achievements in reading, and the following year she began writing down her stories.

Krane was graduated from high school in Newark, Ohio and

Mistress (2 books)
  • The Perfect Mistress (Mistress, #2)