Start by marking “Dolores and the Big Fire: Dolores and the Big Fire” as Want to Read:
Dolores and the Big Fire: Dolores and the Big Fire

Dolores and the Big Fire: Dolores and the Big Fire

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Dolores and the Big Fire

Dolores is a very timid cat. Her owner, Kyle, keeps a light on all night so she won't be scared. One night Dolores pokes at Kyle's face while he is sleeping. The house is on fire! Can Dolores wake Kyle up in time?

Published March 1st 2003 by Simon Spotlight (first published February 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dolores and the Big Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dolores and the Big Fire

Dolly
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
True story about a cat who saves her owner's life during a fire. We had a similar situation occur recently. One night my mother-in-law fell asleep after putting some food to cook on the stove. Our dog got antsy when the food was starting to burn and she wouldn't leave my hubby alone until he got up and discovered the smoking pan. She recognized the danger before the smoke detectors did. Luckily for us, it wasn't anything more serious than that, but we were thankful for an alert pup.

The narrativ
A
Dolores was always a shy cat and never really wanted to be held. One day there was a fire and she went and woke up her owner by scratching him on the nose. In this way she saved him, but Dolores was badly hurt by the fire. For days she appeared as if she might die. When she finally came to, she was a new kitty and enjoyed being held and loved by her owner. Another in the pets to the rescue series of easy readers, level 1.
Alexandria Hiam
Russell
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Kyle's pandering to his cat's fear of the dark isn't very sustainable.

(view spoiler)
Meg McGregor
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
This is based on a true event.

Dolores needs to wake up Kyle before the fire traps both of them in the house. She does succeed but is critically wounded.

This is an excellent story to demonstrate how loyal and loving animal companions are. Just make sure to prepare your little one for the fact that sometimes animals can get hurt too.
Mary
Sep 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Based on a true story, this is an easy to read story about a fearful cat who saves her owner's life. It is a little sad because the cat suffers from the fire, but young independent readers enjoy reading about this brave hero cat.
Laurie
Dec 08, 2011 added it
Great beginning reader. Also teaches about empathy and the will to survive along with love above all else.
Michelle
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I cried when I read this! Not the best art but so touching. Not for the faint hearted child
Beth Lequeuvre
Sep 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
I guess I'm just a curmudgeon but this seemed sad rather than heart warming. Just didn't get into it. Dylan didn't seem impressed either.
Lisa C
Mar 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Okay, but not as riveting as Brave Norman.
Tiffany Johnson
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This story is so sweet.
Amy
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cat lovers at this house thought this was a sweet, true story. Great beginning reader book.
The Cute Little Brown-haired girl
I have a cat that is this breed, so I am of course wanting a children's book with a kitty that looks like mine in it! Cool!
Alexa
Liberty Sage
May 14, 2013
Lisa
Feb 23, 2012
I was born in Camden, New Jersey in 1949 and lived in Oaklyn and Cherry Hill until the middle of sixth grade. Then we moved to Springfield, Illinois. My parents were avid readers and they gave that love of books and reading to me and to all my brothers and sisters. I didn’t think about being a writer at all back then, but I did love to read. I'm certain there's a link between reading good books an ...more
More about Andrew Clements