Start by marking “False Start (Wilmington Breakers, #2)” as Want to Read:
False Start (Wilmington Breakers, #2)

False Start (Wilmington Breakers #2)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  200 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Nixon Cross isn’t wired to share his life with anyone. He’d considered a relationship once, but after the one man patient enough to put up with all his quirks shut him down, he committed all of his energy to football and helping his players. Now, one of his players need more help than Nixon can provide and his former flame is the one man who will know what to do.

Retired N
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 231 pages
Published May 13th 2017

To ask other readers questions about False Start, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about False Start

Ky
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I started reading this book I wasn't prepared for such an emotional story. I'm not talking about romantic stuff here. I'm talking about the harsh reality that some retired players have to face as a result of all the brutal hits they took while on the field. The possibility that some of the injuries they suffered years ago can come back and hunt them long after they occured and were percieved as healed.

Even though it wasn't one of the MCs that suffered from his time on the field, it was stil
Cadiva
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Superb follow up for this new spin off series from Sloan Johnson.

I've said before how much I enjoy a good sports romance. While the real world seems to sadly lag behind when it comes to top level athletes and sportsmen being able to be out safely and successfully, these novels provide the joy and the hope things might reach that state eventually.

This was both a later life and a sort of second chance romance, two of my favourite tropes, both men coming with plenty of baggage and fears about being
Sandra Shipman ~ Two Book Pushers
False Start is the second book in the Wilmington Breakers series but it can be read as a standalone. If you read Down by Contact then you have met Nixon and Lincoln. I knew they had some kind of past but I had no idea how deep it truly went.

Nixon and Lincoln met each other when Linc played in the NAFL while Nixon was the team strength and conditioning coach. They became the best of friends during that time and even after they both left the Birmingham Bengals. But, a few years ago their friendsh
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
ARC received from author for an honest review

We met Nixon and Lincoln in the first book in the Wilmington Breakers series, Down By Contact, and there was something between them that we just needed to know.

And what a story theirs is. I love a friends-to-lovers story, love it even more when there is a bit of history behind them.

Linc and Nix's story is beautiful. It is heart breaking. It is thought provoking. There are subject in this story that made me stop and think, and I am sure it will for oth
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The second book in this series is grittier and more mature than the first - and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This is a second chance love story between two men in their forties. Lincoln is a retired American football star and Nixon is a professional trainer we met in the first book. Twenty years earlier, football was a much more hostile environment for gay athletes and staff and Nixon and Lincoln were never free to follow their hearts. Now, with a very different social climate and LIncoln’s son abou ...more
Ruthie Taylor
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is the second on the series - and I would recommend that you start at the beginning to get the full story. That said this centres around a new pairing, but in a familiar setting.

The blurb gives you some context as to these two men who have been important in each others' lives for a long time as friends, but never prepared to be open about their sexuality. The story of how they are at their current point in life, an
Angie
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy to read and review for Wicked Reads

This is the second book in the series, while you can read it is as a stand alone, you would get more out of it if you read the first book.

False Start deals with not only the relationship between Linc and Nix it also deals with a very real subject matter in today's world, the reality of what happens in football when you take too many hits to the head.

Linc and Nix have danced around their feelings for each other for years and it's finally time
S.M. Harshell
**I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.**

False Start is the second book in the Wilmington Breakers series. It can be read as a standalone without issue.

I am without a doubt a huge Sloan Johnson fan. I love her m/m like no other. This story while entertaining hit on the topic of CTE specifically with football players and the effects it can have not only to the person suffering with it but those that love them. It was such an emotional raw look at those it impac
The Novel Approach Reviews
When I started reading this book, I wasn’t prepared for such an emotional story. I’m not talking about romantic stuff here. I’m talking about the harsh reality that some retired players have to face as a result of all the brutal hits they took while on the field—the possibility that some of the injuries they suffered years ago can come back and haunt them long after they occurred and were perceived as healed.

Even though it wasn’t one of the MCs that suffered from his time on the field, it was st
Heather Martin
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by the author for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.*

False Start is Book 2 in Sloan Johnson's Wilmington Breakers series, a spin-off of her Homeruns series. I truly think you should read Down by Contact, Book 1 of this series, to truly enjoy it. The two books overlap in parts and I think it would make it more enjoyable if you know both sides of what's going on. And really, reading a Sloan Johnson book is no har
Heather
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**Advanced copy of the book received from the author in exchange for an honest review**

We first met Lincoln Sims and Nixon Cross in the first book in the Wilmington Breakers series, Down By Contact. It was clear there was something between them, but it was also clear that their history was anything but easy.

Nixon has always been that guy that feels like he's better off alone. He doesn't do relationships well and so instead of failing at them, he just steers away from them. There is one man that
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie

I love a good friends to lovers story, besides second chances it's one of my favorite tropes. This was an enjoyable read, but it was also frustrating to read at times. While I love Sloan's writing, It's frustrating that the majority of her books are centered around sports, so most of her characters have to fight their way out of the closet. I was looking forward to reading Lincoln and Nixon's story, especially since they are older and I thought maybe that closet door would have been blasted off
Kara Hildebrand (Two Book Pushers)
I’m loving this new series, Wilmington Breakers, by one of my favorite authors, Sloan Johnson. I especially loved False Start for two reasons. It's a friends to lovers romance with a little second chance in there, and they are over forty. Thank the Lord! We met Nixon and Lincoln in the first book and I just knew there was a good story to be told! Nixon is cranky, set it his ways and very good at his job. He's committed to the team and doesn't have a life outside of work. Lincoln is a retired pla ...more
Lora
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 out of 5 stars

I enjoy a friends to lovers story in general and when the friends happen to also be characters from a book I’ve already read and enjoyed, it makes the story even better. Linc and Nix captured my attention in Down by Contact, the first book in the Wilmington Breakers series and I was so, so excited to know that this book was going to be all about them.

I think at the heart of this story is family - and not always family by blood, but family by team and life experiences. I enjo
Lynn
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for gay sports romance. Add in older characters and second chances and you have me hooked. Lincoln and Nixon's story is about a retired pro-football player and his longtime friend and trainer who, despite having feelings for each other, have never taken the chance to see if they could be more. Lincoln finally takes that chance. No longer married he is free to explore his sexuality and he discovers that he doesn't want to give up without at least trying. Nixon while never denying his ...more
Bookaholic And
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nixon Cross and Lincoln Sims are best friends that have a long history. Their friendship runs so much deeper and due to their secret they must part ways or so Nixon thought.

As always fate has a way of opening old wounds and for Nix, Linc is his, and it was not strange when they must cross paths. Nix and Linc will take you to a story with sorrow, regrets and lots of love.

Again and again Sloan Johnson managed to suck you into the story without leaving you room to breath. The emotions this two cha
Rata Robinette
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Can unrequited love last over 20 years?

Lincoln a retired footballer, divorced with one child in college desperate to follow his Father's foot steps. Nixon has had feelings for Lincoln that he's denied over Twenty years. Lots of guilt,shame,an just plain being afraid has kept these two apart. AFTER all this time can Nix and Linc build a bridge to combine their separate worlds? Can true love stand the test if time an separation? Can these two men put their fears away an step into their futures? Th
SiKReviews
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Down by Contact told the love story of Zack and Griffin. This book kind of overlaps it. This is the story of Nixon and Lincoln.

Nixon, like many people do when hurt, ran away from the one who hurt him. However, I can't blame Lincoln for what he said and did, he was confused on so many levels. He had to accept himself before he could ever give his heart to someone.

Patrick bring the reality of what can happen to the players in football. You WILL cry. No and, if , or buts about it. Very emotional
michelle  Shelly
Absolutely wonderful!!

I am in love with Sloan's books. She won me over with her Homerun series but I'm thinking I might just love this series more. And funny thing I don't like football, like at all. But these characters.... Nixon and Lincoln I'm all in with them.

I adored the first book but False Start pulled me in and I fell hard. I love that the characters were older, that's something we don't get a lot of and for me it was one of my favorite things about the book. Now don't get me wrong, it
Leda
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this series! And as much as I love Sloan's Homeruns series, I think I might love this one just a little bit more. I can't wait for the next one!

I adored both Nixon and Lincoln. I really like books with older MCs, these guys in their 40s and yeah, smokin' hot together! I liked the progression of their relationship and thought they were really great together. I also loved Blake and was excited for him at the end of this book!

As always, this book was well written and just an all
Amy
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as an ARC and I was so happy!! Nixon and Lincoln were magnificent!! What a story!! There was always a pull towards each other but they never acted on that pull. Lincoln played professional football, got married and had a son. Nixon lived alone and dug into his work as a trainer for professional football team. Then years later Nixon needed Lincoln's help with a player. Was it finally their time to be together, to finally act on those feelings?

What a fantastic book full of li
Relly
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ok

I'm a big fan of this author, and have enjoyed a lot of her work, but with this one I felt like it took me a long time to connect with both the characters and the book. Personally I'm thinking it's just me, because I really liked both Nix and Linc in the previous book and was looking forward to their book, but it took me a long time to connect with either of them in this one. Eventually I did get into it and did enjoy it, just not as much as previous books from this author
Denise GremoryKohta
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books you enjoy reading so much that you really slow down and take your time. So many little nuances and emotions that I didn't want to reach the end. As much as I love Nix and Linc and how their friendship had grown into something so powerful, I think Blake got to me more. An amazing young man who I hope to read more about. I would like to thank the author for the privilege and opportunity of reading this advanced reader copy. My review is an honest opinion of the book. I l ...more
Mags
3.5☆

I really liked Lincoln and Nixon and was looking forward to reading their story. Especially after their appearances in Zachs story, Down by Contact. However, this didn't really click for me and as much as I liked them. I didn't feel they had as much chemistry as they did in Down by Contact. And on the whole their relationship just felt a bit flat.

Yet the overall story was still enjoyable, it did have more angst than I was anticipating. But it did keep me engaged and I would still happily rec
Beth
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story with attention to important issues

This was a great story with relatable characters. I also very much enjoyed the was Johnson worked in a very important timely issue revolving around football and head injuries.

Nixon and Linc are great characters with baggage that is not only a result of personalities but also being products of their time period. It's nice to see a story revolving around older main characters.

This is the second book I've read by this author and I'll definitely be readi
Jessica
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I REALLY hate to write this because I love Sloan, and I love her books, and was really looking forward to Linc and Nix but I just really couldn't get into this one. I felt like I was being told their story instead of discovering it for myself. I had to force myself to keep going when normally the book is over before I'm ready. I do hope that we see more of Blake in the future though, I think there is something really interesting going on there. 2.5 stars on this one though. :(
Krinessa
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing story

I love all of Sloan's books and this one was no different. A great story and ending with a glimpse into the life of Blake, Linc's son and John. I'm wondering who John us so hopefully Sloan is going to write a story for them.

I was so happy to see that Nixon and Lincoln found their way to each other and were able to make it work. A great ending or beginning depending on how you look at it. Either way it was an amazing story.
John-Torleif  Harris
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Emothionally compelling

Nixon and Lincoln's story was full of very emotional moments throughout. I loved that Linc was able to help Nix learn to relax and make his own desires and life a priority. It was great to see both characters strengthen and support one another. Each truly inspired his partner to become the best he could be.
Jen
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good, but not Hot.

Compared to other books by this author, it definitely does not have the hotness factor that others have had. There are some serious issues covered and the main characters are older and more seasoned. Good story...and hope we get more of them in future books.
Becca
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review to come
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
7162059
Sloan Johnson is a big city girl trapped in a country girl’s body. While she longs for the hustle and bustle of New York City or Las Vegas, she hasn’t yet figured out how to sit on the deck with her morning coffee, watching the deer and wild turkeys in the fields while surrounded by concrete and glass.

When she was three, her parents received their first call from the principal asking them to pick
More about Sloan Johnson...

Wilmington Breakers (2 books)
  • Down By Contact (Wilmington Breakers, #1)