Start by marking “Promise Not to Tell (Cutler, Sutter & Salinas #2)” as Want to Read:
Promise Not to Tell (Cutler, Sutter & Salinas #2)

Promise Not to Tell

(Cutler, Sutter, & Salinas #2)

Listening Length: 10 hours and 40 minutes

A painter of fiery, nightmarish visions throws herself into the sea—but she leaves her secrets behind . . .

Audio CD, Unabridged, 10 pages
Published January 2nd 2018 by Recorded Books, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Promise Not to Tell, please sign up.
Marie There are references to events from book 1, but she fleshes them out enough that this can be read on its own.
…more
(less)
Alexandra Zepeda I'm currently working under the assumption that the editor was comatose during the editing process.

Start your review of Promise Not to Tell (Cutler, Sutter & Salinas #2)
Julie
Promise Not to Tell by Jayne Ann Krentz is a 2018 Berkley publication.

Rebound! I’m beginning to sense a little excitement with this series!!

The first book in this new series by veteran author, Jayne Ann Krentz, got off to a rocky start, or at least it did for me.

I was hoping fervently that this second installment would show some improvement, and so I am happy to say it is a much stronger effort and I really enjoyed it.

Seattle comes to life in this story, adding the right touch to set the sta
.Under the pages
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, review
Review available at Under the Pages

description
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Fast paced with lots of twists.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The author has stepped up the game in this newest offering and I am excited to share my review and thoughts on this story. One good thing, if you missed the prior book, do not dismay. This is a total standalone. The family is the tie between the books, not a story continuation.

In the prior book, I enjoyed the story but it had some flaws to me. I was so happy this this story was much more exciting and the flow was great.

Even though this is a
Chloe
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Virginia Troy owns an art gallery in Seattle and is one of the kid survivor of the cult led by Quinton Zane. The past comes back to haunt Virginia when one of her artist leaves her a clue in a painting about the cult before committing suicide. Virginia decides to ask PI Cabot Stutter who also survived the cult when he was a child for help. As they start getting closer to solving the mystery of the painting the bodies start piling up close to home.

This is the second book in the series but can be
Monnie
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This complex, intriguing story spans more than 20 years - from the time eight young children are rescued from certain death in a barn fire deliberately set by the leader of a cult to which their parents belonged to the present, when death once again stalks the survivors. Now, one of them - an artist whose work is in an art gallery owned by another of the survivors - commits suicide. Virginia Troy, the gallery owner, suspects the death was murder; to test that theory, she hires the private invest ...more
♥Rachel♥
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Virginia and Cabot survived the machinations of twisted cult leader as kids, when he tried to kill them all in a fire, but their mothers weren’t so fortunate. They’re reunited when Virginia hires Cabot’s detective firm to investigate the suspicious death of one of the survivors. The police think it’s a suicide, but Virginia is convinced there’s more to her death when she receives a message in the form of a cryptic painting depicting the supposedly dead cult leader in a horror scene that
☕️Kimberly
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the onset, I liked the chemistry and back and forth banter between Virginia and Cabot Sutter. They share a connection and played to each other's strengths.

Virginia has reached out to the firm because Hannah Brewster's recent death was ruled a suicide. As the reader, we are made privy to what occurred on the night of Hannah's death. I was immediately pulled into the investigations and loved the plot Krentz developed from the paintings to the hidden key. Twists and unexpected connections made
Corina
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, mystery
If you enjoy romantic suspense – JAYNE ANN KRENTZ is your author.

I have read Jayne Ann Krentz for more than 10 years now and can say that with certainty. First I started by borrowing all her JAK books from the library—not nearly enough. Then I read her alter egos Amanda Quick and Jayne Castle. All in all JAK must have written 50 plus novels thus far and I have read them all.

JAK is a master storyteller!

Her romantic suspense novels are as addicting as they are entertaining. With a formula in mind
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

It's not often you can sum up a book in one word, but that's the case with Promise Not to Tell-convoluted.

It starts with the death of an artist, Hannah, who is convinced she has been seeing a nightmare vision from her past. She does what she can to warn her vulnerable friend, then leaps to her death off a cliff on her isolated island. The friend, Virginia Troy, understands the warning and goes to the one person she know has ties to that same past-Anson????? Anson rescued Virginia and several oth
Beth
A complex and engaging mystery, spanning 20 years, makes for some seriously intense reading especially when it comes from Krentz.

Virginia Troy, gallery owner, and Cabot Sutter, private eye, have a tragic past in common. But 20 years later that tragic past has come back to haunt them, and it has definitely turned deadly.

A set of disturbing painting, an artist’s “suicide”, and a group of children that all survived a fire that wiped out the cult their parents belong too, draw Virginia and Cabot cl
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup. (posts 1/9/18)
Amazon: http://amzn.to/2BQisDL

Krentz always hits the spot and Promise Not To Tell...seriously delivered!

The Gist: Decades ago as children Virginia and Cabot were rescued from a cult. And all these years later there's a real possibility that the man behind their near deaths and their mother's murders has resurfaced and they're in his sights once again.

I loved Cabot and Virginia. Cabot has a strong sense of right and justice. Virginia a carin
Kat Valentine
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Promise Not to tell is cabot and virginia's story. Virginia was one of the 8 children who were victims of the fire that cult leader Quinton zane set to kill the children of his followers and Cabot was the sheriff who saved her and the other children's lives. When virginia recieves a picture of a painting hannah worked on just before her apparent suicide she's sure it was a murder and that it was Zane who killed her. When she asks Cabot Sutter now a private eye to look into her death both Cabot a ...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
This was an enjoyable story. Not riveting but a good companion audiobook for when you have stuff to do and want company. JAK has a formula and is an experienced technician in terms of putting a book together so rarely disappoints me.
RachelW (BamaGal)
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Full review...

3.5 Stars. This a continuation of sorts of the first book in this trilogy about three foster brothers who survived a fire started by the crazy leader of the cult they were trapped in as children. The book is a pretty decent mystery, and just a little different from JAK's standard formula.

This time around, both Cabot and Virginia were childhood survivors of the fire. They meet again when she hires his PI firm to help her investigate the suspicious death of a former cult member; and
Lisa
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a very superficial book. None of the characters will stick with you in the years to come and nothing about the plot or the romance will drive you to read it again and again. But there was nothing wrong with it, exactly. It was just kind of meh.

(view spoiler)
Christina/ The Blog for Teachers, Readers, & Life!
Explosive! Sizzling hot read! I have hit the jackpot with my reading list so far this year.💖
Cheri
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one more than the 1st in this series. The beginning was slow to interest me but it got so much better. Very intriguing and mysterious. I continue to love JAK!
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
I did not know that this was book two of a trilogy, but it was good as a stand alone mystery. I also have never read Ms. Krentz so I was pleasantly surprised.

The book opens with an artist setting fire to her cabin after painting one last painting on the wall, knowing that the fire will consume it. She had a very traumatic childhood, being one of only a handful of children who were saved when a cult leader set fire to a barn housing all of the children. Hannah believed that “the monster”, Quentin
Paraphrodite
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
4 stars.

I thought it was quite a good RS. Personality-wise, Cabot & Virginia is a typical JAK couple, but probably more scarred than usual. Both of them are dealing with nightmares from their shared childhood experiences in a cult, but managed to accept each other's weird habits of dealing. I found this really nice.

I can't wait to see what the villain is going to do. A pity it'll probably be another year before we find out!
Kimberly
4.5 stars - My review cross-posted from Wit and Sin

Promise Not to Tell is a real page-turner. It’s fast-paced, interesting, and has some great twists and turns without ever losing sight of the main couple. I absolutely hated it whenever I had to put Virginia and Cabot’s story down, and quite honestly, by the end of the book nothing could have torn me away.

Virginia and Cabot were children living in a cult until one fiery night where they lost their mothers and were rescued by the local po
UnusualChild{beppy}
4 stars

Synopsis: Virginia survived a fire her mother died in that was set by the leader of the cult that they belonged to. She now owns an art gallery, and has paintings by an artist who was also part of the cult. The artist dies, but manages to send Virginia a picture of her final painting. Virginia is convinced that the artist didn't die naturally, and hires a private investigator to check into it.
The firm that she hires is one that is co-owned by the man that rescued Virginia and 7 other chi
Laurel-Rain
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A painter of fiery, nightmarish visions throws herself into the sea—but she’ll leave some of her secrets behind...

Seattle gallery owner Virginia Troy has spent years battling the demons that stem from her childhood time in a cult and the night a fire burned through the compound, killing her mother. And now one of her artists has taken her own life, but not before sending Virginia a last picture: a painting that makes Virginia doubt everything about the so-called suicide—and her own past.

Like V
Kate Douglas
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was trying to come up with the perfect analogy for Jayne Ann Krentz’s latest romantic suspense, PROMISE NOT TO TELL, and the first thing that popped into my head was the Wild Mouse ride at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk on the California coast. Now, this ride shut down in 1976, and I only rode on it once in the early 1960s, but I will never forget the pure unadulterated terror at the rapid-fire twists and turns, the sharp shifts of direction and that ultimate heart-in-my-throat feel as the car bar ...more
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***ARC Provided by the Publisher/Author via NetGalley***

4.5 Stars

If you have read Jayne Ann Krentz, you have a pretty good idea what to expect from one of her titles. You are going to get interesting, charmingly quirky characters who seem all the more human for their faults and eccentricities. The writing will be sharp, the pacing will be quick. The mystery will move quickly and will end up drawing people into the mix who seemed to only be on the periphery. The pacing will be strong and the book
One chapter more
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I still love Jayne Ann Krentz, however this book was so similar to Trust No One... Tragic memory that makes a heroine to have panic attacks and all the ending, meaning who killed whom (can't say more without spoilers). Also, I felt like it was simply over complicated at times... OCDs, everyone's hidden agenda, embezzlement
... Well, for a 350 pages book it surely had a lot of crime and drama.

But I still love this author and I will read more of her. Just gonna take a break for the moment.
Fabiola Chenet
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very intense and there were a lot of very unexpected twists.

Important informations for next readers:
- you have to read the first book in the series: When all the girls have gone
- you have to be very concentrated when you read it

I'm happy the last volume is already available in paperback because I can't wait to read it now

Katie
This book had a million bad guys. Not red herrings. They were all actual bad guys! That was too many.

The romance was okay, but you know . . . (view spoiler)
Ceki
I enjoyed the story in general since there was a big development since book 1 and we are getting closer and closer to the "big villain" who will reveal himself (finally) in Untouchable.

However, I found this book a bit lacking in the romance department - the chemistry between Virginia and Cabot was almost non-existent to me. I liked their first meeting but after that everything was a bit meh.

The ending was very suspenseful though and can't wait for the sequel. Hopefully the next and probably the
Wit & Wonder Books
** ARC provided by the author for an honest review **

Jayne Ann Krentz has done it again. Her latest novel, Promise Not to Tell takes a look into the dark, debauchery of cult life. This is the second novel in Krentz’s Cutler, Sutter and Salinas series, but it can be read as a standalone story.

Artist and gallery owner Virginia Troy has lived a life of nightmares and struggles to leave her demons in the past. When one of her artists turns up dead and a mysterious painting suggests that the pronounc
Sophia
A woman's leap to her death off the cliff of Lost Island in the San Juans of Washington State brings the past back into glaring detail for art gallery owner, Virginia Troy, and private investigator, Cabot Sutter. Deadly focus turns onto Virginia and a fiendish cult leader from her past may be at the heart of it. I was sucked into this story and couldn't put it down through all the tension, danger, and twisting end.

Promise Not to Tell is the second book in the Cutler, Sutter, and Salinas series,
Play Book Tag: Promise Not To Tell by Jayne Ann Krentz - four stars 1 8 Jun 11, 2020 03:52PM
Help!! Can’t remember Author or Title 1 13 Jan 09, 2018 08:04AM

• The Other Lady Vanishes (Burning Cove, #2)
  • Tightrope (Burning Cove, #3)
  • Close Up (Burning Cove #4)
  • The Girl Who Knew Too Much (Burning Cove, #1)
  • Midnight Crystal (Ghost Hunters, #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3)
  • Illusion Town (Ghost Hunters, #13)
  • Deception Cove (Rainshadow, #2; Ghost Hunters, #10)
  • The Hot Zone (Rainshadow, #3; Ghost Hunters, #11)
  • The Lost Night (Rainshadow, #1; Ghost Hunters, #9)
  • Otherwise Engaged
  • Siren's Call (Rainshadow, #4; Ghost Hunters, #12)
  • After Dark (Ghost Hunters, #1)
  • After Glow (Ghost Hunters, #2)
  • Canyons of Night (Rainshadow, #0; Ghost Hunters, #8; Looking Glass Trilogy, #3; Arcane Society, #12)
  • The Perfect Poison (Arcane Society, #6)
  • Silver Master (Ghost Hunters, #4)
  • The Mystery Woman (Ladies of Lantern Street, #2)
  • Quicksilver (Arcane Society, #11; Looking Glass Trilogy #2)
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre

Cutler, Sutter, & Salinas (3 books)
  • When All the Girls Have Gone (Cutler, Sutter, & Salinas #1)
  • Untouchable (Cutler, Sutter & Salinas, #3)