Start by marking “Promised Land (Promised Land Tales, #1)” as Want to Read:
Promised Land (Promised Land Tales, #1)

Promised Land

(Promised Land Tales #1)

When a young Prince and a farm boy meet in the forest, a growing friendship between them blossoms into love. However, when the Queen re-marries, her sinister new husband seeks control of the enchanted forest and the land the farm boy’s family are responsible for protecting.

In a Kingdom where all are considered equal regardless of what they look like or who they love, Pro
Published February 14th 2017 (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Promised Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promised Land

Start your review of Promised Land (Promised Land Tales, #1)
Allyce
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Promised Land is a beautifully illustrated picture book that tells the tale of a prince and a farm boy. The story is so very sweet and well written, showcasing strong women and championing a LGBTQ love story.

I thoroughly enjoyed this cute book and would recommend it for any family!
Linn
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such an important and beautiful book! We need more childrens books like this one! And the artwork is gorgeous!
Paisley
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love Conquers All

An updated version of the classic love story. This time the story involves a rich prince and a poor farm boy. The heros of the story are two women, a strong queen and a loving mother. Love wins!
Rachel Jones
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I got sent a request for this book and saw that it was a picture book, I almost immediately dismissed it. I rarely ever review picture books, not because I think i'm above them, but because they're so short I feel that I will run out of things to talk about, and of course I can never do the gorgeous illustrations justice! However, when I saw the topic of this book, I knew that I had to make an exception!
I loved the friendship between the two boys, and how their relationship developed as the
Shunt27
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This delightful fairy tale is a lovely way to casually introduce children to positive portrayals of LGBT and other diverse characters. The story centers on Jack (a farmboy) and Leo (a prince) who become friends and eventually fall in love amid classic fairy tale problems including an evil sorcerer tricking the queen into marriage and a forest spirit who helps save the day. In addition to the central romance, the book also features strong female characters (the queen is skilled with a sword and J ...more
Elaine White
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. Satisfying and colourful.

This story has some gorgeous illustrations, along with a beautiful, empowering story where love wins, women are strong and good prevails over evil. A perfect story to help kids embrace who they are and who they could be.

And those subtle nods to the biggest LGBT icons in the Kingdom of Valeria map were awesome!
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is such a great book. The story was delightful and the illustrations were a total treat. Just gorgeous and well worth getting th hardcover if you still can. Beautiful book.
Thomas Gültzow
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
While it is a bit sad that this is the first (one of the first?) storybook to tell the story of a queer love, it is great that it has been written. Not just to show young LGTBQ children that they are not abnormal, but to show young children in general that being LGTBQ is nothing abnormal. Apart from this: the females in the book are strong characters which is a second strong storyline in the book which conveys a great message. A must read for young and old!
Néstor Silverio
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, lgbt
Once upon a time, in a faraway land, two young boys discover the meaning of love. In this heartwarming adventure, we discover a much-needed tale for next generations, hoping for them to grow up certainly without bigotry poisoning there minds.
I believe "Promised Land" is an example of the better days that may be coming.
Jarna
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The kind of story I wish I had access to as a child. Beautifully written and animated. A new favourite of mine and a great story to share with my nephews and nieces.
Kaelan Rhywiol
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG. I'm sitting here crying with the rep I needed to see. That I need my kids to see. I bought the book after learning of it and sat here enchanted for the short time it took me to read.

Not only is it a world where it doesn't matter if one is queer or cis/allo/het, but there's on the page rep of two boys falling in love, and having a HEA, and it's normal. It's beautiful. There's also on the page PoC rep as well, and that too is beautiful. I needed this book, I didn't know how much I needed it u
luiloth
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful fairy tale dealing with magic, a bewitched queen, an evil villain, enchanted woods and the love story between a prince and a farm boy.

The illustrations are beautiful! Plus, I noticed on each page a special surprise so be sure to seek out and find Bo's bugs.

Included is a map of the Kingdom of Valeria with iconic names in honor of people and places in the LGBTQ community and history.
Johnny Mejía Burbano
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It worths reading it just for its first page: Once upon a time, in a land not far away, a place where no one cared if you were straight or you were gay, a prince and a farm boy both longed to be free.
Shannon Rohrer
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated, forward-thinking children's book, filled with charm and magic. ...more
Nick
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such and wonderful and beautiful example of the way more fairy tales should go. The representation was lovely in more than just the obvious category, and I would love to see more books take this route.
Kelli Santistevan
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I listened to this story on YouTube and I liked the characters and the story.
Hypable Books
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Beautifully written and illustrated!
Drizz
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
Beautiful artwork and very sweet story. I love this book. The characters are great. I teared up a bit :)
A lovely example of GLBT fiction for kids.
I'm really looking forward to their next book, Maiden Voyage.
Rayna
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a delight to read.

As a New Zealander I am extra proud of this book. It follows the story of a farm boy and a prince who meet in the woods as children and soon become best friends. As they grow, so does their friendship and it blossoms into love.

LGBTQ+ representation is so important, especially in children's literature. Having these characters represented lets children and young people know that they can ALL do wonderful, amazing things, and that EVERYONE deserves to be loved.

Anyone ca
Nathan Frechette
Gorgeous art and great story! I enjoyed reading it to my kids.
Kayla Mary
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
very important book for children
Martin McDonald
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
Fabulous! Lovely story and beautiful illustrations. The kind of book I wish had been around when I was growing up. An essential part of every kid's library. ...more
Jenny
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I first came across this book concept on Kickstarter, I was excited to have something on the market for the next generation. There's not nearly enough out there-- I certainly never read any LGBT books as a child. Reading the final version of the book was an experience that made me want to share it with all the children out there feeling alone or ashamed of being who they are. The gorgeous art and story really carry the message well and make it a must-read! ...more
Eric Desmarais
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent fantasy book with all the right twists and turns to keep it fresh in formulaic story. The world and art are beautiful and I look forward to seeing more.

It makes me sad that the authors needed a disclaimer at the beginning saying that homosexuality was accepted in the world. It shows the ridiculousness of our own world where we'll easily accept mind control and magic but not love between two men.
Tobias Mile
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The timing and topic of this book could not have been better. In conversation and education with your children, this book series provides great tools. It's beautiful, illustrations are absolutely stunning and I suggest everyone read it! ...more
Tori
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Enchanting!

Love this story! I read about it in an article of great LGBTQ stories for kids then saw all the great reviews for this book. The artwork is beautiful and the story is great
Miriam Cumming
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything about this book is fantastic. I've read it over 100 times and still smile when the kids bring it to me to read. ...more
Stas
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Listened to this on YouTube.
Fresh and beautiful.
Chiara
An adorable queer picture book!!
omar
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
gay kids books... i am genuinely crying, i love they. 🥺💞

• Jabari Jumps (Jabari, #1)
  • Hair Love
  • Soulfire (The Soulfire Chronicles, #1)
  • The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games, #1)
  • Chaos Rising (Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy, #1)
  • The Cambridge Companion to Feminist Theology
  • Cycle of the Werewolf
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Imbalance, Part 1 (Imbalance, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Team Avatar Tales (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  • Riot Baby
  • The Masque of the Red Death
  • Requiem for the American Dream: The 10 Principles of Concentration of Wealth & Power
  • Care Work: Dreaming Disability Justice
  • The Little Mermaid
  • Walking the Heartroad: The Devotional Path in Spirit Work
  • Dealing With Deities
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search, Part 1 (The Search, #1)
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Search (Avatar: The Last Airbender, #2)

Promised Land Tales (3 books)
  • Maiden Voyage (Promised Land Tales, #2)
  • Raven Wild