Start by marking “The Web Designer's Idea Book: The Ultimate Guide To Themes, Trends Styles In Website Design” as Want to Read:
The Web Designer's Idea Book: The Ultimate Guide To Themes, Trends  Styles In Website Design

Inspiring Web Design at a Glance

The Web Designer's Idea Book includes more than 700 websites arranged thematically, so you can find inspiration for layout, color, style and more. Author Patrick McNeil has cataloged more than 5,000 sites on his website, and showcased in this book are the very best examples.

Sites are organized by type, design style, theme, color, element and
Published October 6th 2008 by HOW Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Web Designer's Idea Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Web Designer's Idea Book

Start your review of The Web Designer's Idea Book: The Ultimate Guide To Themes, Trends Styles In Website Design
VaultOfBooks
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By Patrick McNeil. Grade: A+

When I opened this book, my amazement could have made me gasp aloud. The book opens to pages of full-color, top-notch designs. My mind started ticking away immediately. The inspiration was already sparking in the air above me. No words were read; just viewing and consuming.
The Web Designer’s Idea Book includes more than 700 websites arranged thematically so you can find inspiration for layout, color, style and more. Author Patrick McNeil has catalogued more than 5,000
Laurian Vega
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux
This is 1/2 of this months UX book club read at my company. I found it when I was at Powells a few months ago and thought it would server as a useful tool when I get stuck while doing design. I often find myself just unhappy with what I'm producing because it is the same thing over and over again. This is fine for creating a consistent look-and-feel across a spectrum of products, but it can also mean that what I'm doing is derivative and not staying up-to-date. And, lord knows, the US government ...more
Tom
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
These types of books are tough, since as soon as you bind them the websites are no longer in vogue. However, I really like the way the book is organized, showing sites by type, design style, theme, color, element and structure. You can look at blog designs, or red designs, or designs that make good use of gradients, and the index is helpful in getting where you want, fast. Lots of Scandinavian sites, interesting.
Chris
May 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-design
Had some decent examples, but felt limited in its breadth. Would have liked more corporate categories as well as CMS-centric examples, since those are all the rage these days (for better or worse [worse]).
Mark Shropshire
Jan 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Enjoyed how the designs were organized in this book. Paper/print quality is great. I think web based css galleries now superced the need for books like this unless the books have a lot explanation and review of the work.
Y
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design, internet
I enjoyed this catalog and his comments on the different types of design there are today. The sites screenshots are organized by type, color, and style so you can clearly see how similar these sites really are. Love the neat organization of this book.
Marva Whitaker
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was really interesting. -Which is weird, given that it's just examples of good sites divided into various types. But I liked the notes and the color combos at the ends of the chapter were helpful.
Jeffrey Ning
Jun 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: design
Structured approach of web development using HTML5 and CSS3 web design. However, the examples are still based on HTML 4.0 or XHTML instead of responsive design using HTML5 and CSS3. Good read for systematic developer, designer or programmer.
Chris
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a good book for beginner new to web design. Offer a lot of visual ideas but not much on the academic side.
Alex
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: internet
A lot of websites broken down into categories. As a web designer I thought it is a good reference to see different websites and different styles of sites.
Erika Reyes
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book yo get your feet wet. Nothing technical, just talking about types of layouts and how certain features or colors affect perception of user.
Cheryl
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Visual delight; inspiring
Bart De Pelsmaeker
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very inspiring, a must-have resource for all involved in designing sites and apps.
Michele White
Very visual book to help you think about what constitutes good web design, broken down by elements and style. A helpful resource when approaching your own design project.
Kelley Taylor
Mar 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
Color schemes were not accurate and very little was informative. No font suggestions that I could find. But it was a great lookbook.
Patrick
Jun 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I wrote it, so of course it gets 5 stars :)
Michelle
Download Themes Premium for Wordpress 1 2 Mar 07, 2014 08:32AM

• Get Into Bed With Google
  • Content Strategy for the Web
  • Head First Design Patterns
  • Regeneration (Regeneration, #1)
  • High Line: The Inside Story of New York City's Park in the Sky
  • Synchronicity: An Acausal Connecting Principle
  • Creating a Data-Driven Organization: Practical Advice from the Trenches
  • Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life
  • Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
  • The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon
  • 100 Words Almost Everyone Confuses and Misuses
  • Notes from a Small Island
  • The All New Captain Underpants Extra-Crunchy Book O' Fun 2 (Captain Underpants, #14)
  • Oh, Yuck!: The Encyclopedia of Everything Nasty
  • Other Worlds
  • Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #2)
  • Guinness World Records 2006
  • Cabin Fever (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #6)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »