Start by marking “Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World” as Want to Read:
Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World

Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World

Product Description

A visual, poetic exploration of the narrative nature of the world and the personality of the Poet behind it all.

When Nate Wilson looks at the world around him, he asks "What is this place? Why is this place? Who approved it? Am I supposed to take it seriously?" What could such an outlandish, fantastical world say about its Creator?

In these sparkling

Published June 29th 2009 by Thomas Nelson (first published May 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl

Start your review of Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World
Douglas Wilson
Jun 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Stupendous. More to follow.

I had read Notes from the Tilt a Whirl before in its various manifestations. But when it arrived in its final printed form, I was happy to sit down and go through it again, left to right. What a good book this is.

The conceit for the book is that the solar system is a ride at a carnival, with circular motions inside circular motion. Not only do we have the carnival-like motions, we have a carnival-like environment, gaudy colors and situations included. The book works th
Jen H
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So, on Saturday I was the lone woman sitting amongst a group of men when the subject of this book came up. I'd started to read it once before and hated it. Why? I didn't like the author. I've thought for years he was trying too hard to be like his father and never quite measuring up. Ugly, I know. But true. And I happen to think his father a right jolly old elf, with a bit of Lewis, Chesterton and Luther thrown in for good measure. Who wouldn't like THAT sort of guy, right?

So when talk about thi
Banner
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
This was a refreshing, honest and very personal book about faith...from one man's perceptive. He doesn't seem to be trying to convince anyone about anything (well maybe in a couple of places...not totally sure). He just expressed how he saw the world through faith.

His style was kind of like reading Robin Williams teaching Sunday School or maybe talking with his fellow theologians down at the pub. It took a page or two to get into, but I enjoyed the style.

This is not one of those get pumped up,
ladydusk
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Own.

This is one of those books that's hard to rate because I read it over more than a year setting it down and picking it up. I think it was best read in small batches, actually, as the essays - and I use that term somewhat loosely - are based on the seasons as the earth - ahem "tilt-a-whirl" - revolves around the sun.

I like much -most- of what Wilson has to say about God (Father, Son, and Spirit), Creation, and the interplay with man. I like the way he holds things up in the culture, church, s
Jacob Rush
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
The Wilson family probably share Chestertonian blood. In an insightful and poignant way, N.D. Wilson dismantles the academic skepticism of the secular, evolutionist by his sharp, sometimes crass, wit. Without God, without the Divine Storyteller, life is meaningless, we are a drift and alone in this vast cosmos. Wilson paints for us what it would look like to be amazed at the story that God is writing with our universe. This world and everything in it is being spoken by God like a master novelist ...more
G.M. Burrow
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking. Hilarious. Scathing. Fiercely jolly. If you ever want to read about poetry, ants, creation, thunderstorms, evil, Hamlet, eternity, snow, hell, pain and death all rolled into one ecstatic ball, then read this book. It will sprawl you, wind you, pick you up, and push you on your way even as you hold out both arms to stop the world from rocking. It will blind you with beauty and insist that you see.

I read this in one dizzy three-hour sitting in June 2009, then again (much slower) in M
Barnabas Piper
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The peaks of this book were higher than almost any book I have read in recent years. Wilson has a genuinely unique voice and a gift for seeing the world and the greatness of its minutiae. If you want an exploration of God's kingdom and reality in a fresh way, this is the book.
Sydney Kirsch
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't love it quite as much as Death by Living, but that doesn't really mean anything because it was still incredible and beautiful and sparkly.
Joel
Dec 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
N.D. Wilson's book is peculiar. I set out reading this not having a clue what to expect; and to the author's credit, I got a good handle on what I was in for after reading the introduction. Wilson's style is distinct. He is very self reflective and loooooves metaphors. This I do not mind. But it is also no guarantee of a good read.

This book has problems. It is a compilation of random personal reflections capped off by one powerhouse chapter concerning hell towards the end of the book. The writin
Hannah Jayne
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these words. I love this world. I love this life. And the Artist—the Artist is best of all.

Tara
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
As the title implies, this book was like being on a tilt-a-whirl. I felt at times discombobulated and punched in the gut. At other times I was filled with awe and wonder. My eyes poured tears on more than one occasion. I pondered the beauties and pains of life and it was good for my soul, good for me to consider God and His creation, his artwork. I will most likely come back to this book again some day.
Kris Irvin
Aug 25, 2010 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. But holy cow, reading it was like stabbing myself in the ear with a toothpick.

There were a few lines and paragraphs I enjoyed. I loved the entire chapter on Hell. But the rest of the book I found painful. It reminded me of "one thousand gifts" by Ann Voskamp, another very flowery, Christian book that goes on and on without ever coming to a point.

Actually, Wilson does make a point in his book. He makes several. But I found him condescending, repetitive, and ir
Megan Lane
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Review for 2nd read:
Still amazing. Still exactly what I needed. (Will there be a time when these words are not relevant to life?) Still my favorite book.
2018: listened to an audiobook version this time, read by the author himself. Still love these words. A lot.
2018 2.0: I gave this to a friend of mine, and I started glancing through it to remind myself of pieces and then I was like, "Forget this, I'm reading the whole thing." So I did. For the second time in a year. And the 4th time overall, app
Mark Jr.
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I succumbed to the buzz the year this came out; I read it, and I'm glad. It's not quite like any other book I've encountered. If it's a little too self-conscious at times of its witty uniqueness, it's equally full of insights and great little stories—like the toddler and the butterfly. The great John Frame says that theology should be written in many genres; Wilson seems almost to have created a new one. A good book to savor a bit at a time.
Suzannah
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read October 16, 2011 and October 12, 2014.

Maybe it's something about Octobers. Even richer and more perceptive than I remember it being the first time. This is a volume of literary criticism on the biggest Art of all. I particularly recommend it to writers.
Aaron Fox
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Hmm. This book is very interesting. I would recommend it to most people, but it did not have the same impact on me as it has had for others. This is a very mainstream Christian book that would probably land in most church and/or Christian bookstores but for the 1 swear word (kind of used in context...) and a couple misuses of the word "hell".

Personally, when I read a book that tries to get me to rethink how I think about the world, I like it to put the seemingly random pieces of the puzzle toge
Emma Story
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars. Well done. Much deep.
I’ll be thinking about this one for a while.
Abrahamus
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: misc-non-fiction
I resolved before I even began Page One that I was not going to like this book—at least not too much. I figure that I've read enough books by this guy's dad that I really don't need to become a cheerleader for two generations of Wilsons. Well, I'm sorry. Putting on my game face didn't work and, in spite of a heroic effort on my part, I really did love this book. It's quite a ride. A bit out there, to be sure, but as far as all that goes, really nothing even remotely as inscrutable as some of the ...more
Crystal
Jun 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
When this book was not what I was expecting, it was ok. I liked the wide-eyed wonder theme because I think we lose too much of that in our modern world. However, this book did seems to ramble and not have a clearly defined "purpose" or if it did, it was blurred into the background by the imagery and wonder. Which maybe that's what Wilson was headed for. I think maybe I set myself up expecting too much like he might write like Brennan Manning or some spiritually enlightening master. He did, howev ...more
marylyn
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
the most beautiful book about God that I have ever read, besides the one he wrote about himself.
Helena Sorensen
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wilson uses words in surprising and delightful ways. It's always a treat to read his stuff. And, besides, I don't think I've ever read anything so aggressively joyful.
Becky
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
first read: October 2014
second: audio book, July 2018
(also, only the second audio book ever that I finished and loved.)
Aberdeen
I read this book slowly because I needed to stop often and ponder what I had just read. Like an actual tilt-a-whirl, this book takes you on a wild ride. It's not written in a conventional style with a conventional structure, I will warn you. I understand that the style is just not for some people, although I do urge you to get at least a few chapters in, because sometimes it simply takes time to get adjusted to his way of writing.

This is a brave book. Brave, because he doesn't talk about God in
Aaron
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
To sum up, this book made me think, "God, You're awesome. You're beautiful. I love you." That, to me, is the makeup of a spectacular book. And not only that, but that is actually the practice of theology - worship.

While theology books certainly can help you discover God, there's one witness to the nature of God that many in our age do not listen to - that is, the witness of creation. N.D. Wilson masterfully supplies humans a perspective on what it is like to see God through the beauties, uglies
Joshua Jenkins
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simply one of the best books I’ve read. I laughed. I cried. I laughed laughs while crying cries. Out loud. I’ll never be able to experiencing mosquito bites the same, nor will croaking frogs sound the same. And I’m glad. This book made me love Jesus more, and that makes me happy. 10/10 would recommend and wish that all would read.
Savannah Grace
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oh, wow. My thoughts won't even articulate. What do I even say about this book? I read it faster than I've read any book in a long time - I even snuck it in to college to read between classes (i.e. in the five minutes I should have been dashing to the next classroom). I just couldn't stop. And yet ... I still can't fully comprehend this book. There's just so /much/. My brain is spinning (in a good way).

Reread one of many, here we come.
Nicholas Zerangue
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Wildly poetic in the greatest of ways. If you ever stop pondering the world around you, this is the book to reintroduce yourself to God's spoken creation.
Laura Minton
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This book was mind-blowing, eye-opening and worshipful. I’ve tried to describe it to a few people and have found myself unable. Just read (or listen 😉) to it!
Eleanor Story
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you are ready, N.D. Wilson will take you on a ride so dizzying and wonderful, you'll start wishing you saw the world from his eyes. The clear wonder and majesty that he draws from the littlest things leaves you wondering why you never asked God to hold a butterfly and also asking yourself why you haven't added to the spit crystals on trees. If you like a lot of structure and clear concise chapters, this book probably isn't for you. (I highly recommend the audio book as he reads it himself)
Rebekah
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-mini-library
"Breathe, taste His words, and marvel that you are here to feel the blowing swirl of life. To be blown by it."

What seems to resonate most in my mind is how this world is art from the Creator. He spoke, and the world was. He is the Artist, the Author, the Orchestrator. And all for His glory. N. D. Wilson has a way with words that really bright that point out.
Watch the Tilt-a-Whirl book trailer 4 40 Mar 25, 2013 01:22PM

• The Household and the War for the Cosmos: Recovering a Christian Vision for the Family
  • Inteligência humilhada
  • As Boas novas em Rute: redenção nos campos do Senhor
  • Adorning the Dark: Thoughts on Community, Calling, and the Mystery of Making
  • Eve in Exile and the Restoration of Femininity
  • The Four Loves
  • Is Christianity Good for the World?
  • Angels in the Architecture: A Protestant Vision for Middle Earth
  • That Hideous Strength (The Space Trilogy, #3)
  • Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life

News & Interviews

“The world is rated R, and no one is checking IDs. Do not try to make it G by imagining the shadows away. Do not try to hide your children from the world forever, but do not try to pretend there is no danger. Train them. Give them sharp eyes and bellies full of laughter. Make them dangerous. Make them yeast, and when they’ve grown, they will pollute the shadows.” 100 likes
“Do not resent your place in the story. Do not imagine yourself elsewhere. Do not close your eyes and picture a world without thorns, without shadows, without hawks. Change this world. Use your body like a tool meant to be used up, discarded, and replaced. Better every life you touch. We will reach the final chapter. When we have eyes that can stare into the sun, eyes that only squint for the Shenikah, then we will see laughing children pulling cobras by their tails, and hawks and rabbits playing tag.” 80 likes