Start by marking “Seeds of Change” as Want to Read:
Seeds of Change

Seeds of Change

Imagine the moment when the present ends, and the future begins -- when the world we knew is no more and a brave new world is thrust upon us. Gathering stories by nine of today's most incisive minds, Seeds of Change confronts the pivotal issues facing our society today: racism, global warming, peak oil, technological advancement, and political revolution. Many serve as a c ...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Wildside Press (first published July 21st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Seeds of Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeds of Change

Wealhtheow
May 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: think_galactic members and other fans of smart, lefty sf
A collection of stories about paradigm shifts. This is easily the best anthology I've read this year (although the single author collection Pump Six still contains my favorite short stories of the year). The editor kept his choices to the best, not the biggest names, and thus captured some of the most innovative work in sf. Unlike pretty much every other anthology I can think of, there are no losers here--no stories that insulted or frustrated me, no lazy writing or poorly thought out plot point ...more
John Ottinger
Copied in full from my blog Grasping for the Wind[return][return]When John Joseph Adams, editor of the apocalyptic short story collection Wastelands and Slush God for The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction offered readers of his blog the opportunity to read and review an ARC e-copy of his newest collection Seeds of Change, I jumped at the chance. Adams has proven himself to be an editor worthy of comparison to Gardner Dozois, Martin H. Greenberg, and George R. R. Martin. And this antholgy ...more
Res
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sff
Fiction on a theme of paradigm change. I finished nearly every story in the book, but I can't actually say I liked any of them. Some of the authors really struggle with the theme, and I can see why -- it's vague and constrictive at the same time.

I must say that as a physical object, this book is one of the most pleasant ones that I've read for a long time. I didn't so much enjoy reading it, but I hated to put it down. So small and friendly!
MH
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
A slim collection of science fiction short stories centered around cultural and technological paradigm shifts. Most of the pieces were fine, with some interesting explorations of identity and art, although a couple didn't work at all for me (I find the central idea of the story about racism problematic, as academics say), but I greatly enjoyed the well-constructed stories from Mark Budz and Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu, and I'm looking forward to reading more of both of those writers.
Scott Marlowe
Aug 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Rating

Review

*** This review originally appeared on Out of this World Reviews. ***

Back in early June, John Joseph Adams sent out a request for advanced readers for his Seeds of Change anthology. Of course, I took him up on it.

Adams is the assistant editor at The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, but he's also been on a tear of late editing anthologies. There's The Living Dead, Wastelands, and, now, Seeds of Change.

While Adams gave plenty of advanced notice of the imminent release of the
Dorothy Emry
Aug 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
On StaticMultimedia.com I gave this 3 1/2 stars. I have to fess up and say that I wanted to review this anthology because it contains a story written by a friend of mine, Ted Kosmatka. Ted's had a nice amount of success over the past few years and his stories have appeared in Asimov's. (Am I envious? You betcha. But his success is well deserved.)

Looking back on this reading experience, I'm so happy that it introduced me to the writing of Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu. I had the pleasure of hearing her
Ross Lockhart
Oct 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One book that I have read recently is the John Joseph Adams-edited anthology Seeds of Change, in fact, this was my in-flight reading on the long, long flight back from Worldcon (and may have been one of the only things keeping me sane on said flight). Seeds of Change is a short collection (240 pages) of nine original science fiction stories by the likes of Jay Lake, Tobias S. Buckell, Ted Kosmatka, and K.D. Wentworth, each of which marks the turning point, the paradigm shift, between now and “th ...more
Alan
Nov 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alan by: Multnomah County Library
This slim volume of original science fiction stories went well with The Starry Rift, which I also recently read. This anthology too is largely positive about the future.

The theme is "paradigm shift" - radical changes growing from small seeds of technology, the essence of science fiction. With such a wide-open framework, the stories here are all over the map, both figuratively and literally. The settings range from Nigeria to outer space to California; the topics are as varied as voting, racism,
Brooke
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Seeds of Change is an anthology that contains nine short stories confronting issues that our society faces today such as: racism, global warming, peak oil, technological advancement, and political revolution. All with a Science Fiction twist. This is a book that activist will enjoy, and if as readers, we don't understand the problems our world faces, Seeds of Change can really open our eyes to them. I really enjoyed what John Joseph Adams has done here. As an author and editor he has put this in ...more
Greg
Jul 23, 2010 rated it really liked it

Seeds of Change was one of the best collections of new short fiction I read the year it's release. The cost of admission is worth the first story alone with it's treatment of prejudice and the possible reactions of people to a reborn species in our reactionary fragile and emotion filed world. There are stories that are hopeful and ones that are dystopic but in all they give a mixture of hope and failure. I recall even one that moves towards the revelation of post singular freedom. Seeds of Chan
Tyrannosaurus regina
This rating is definitely an average of how I felt about the stories, some of which fell on either side of this center line. Endosymbiont, for instance, really moved me (despite any passing similarities to The Matrix trilogy), but Drinking Problem felt more like a call to alcoholism than to responsible recycling. In general, the stories tended to lean a touch more towards talking about ideas than writing stories about those ideas, but just a touch, and the writing itself was overall high quality ...more
Cesar
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought that this was a very interesting and unique book. I've never read a book like this before, mostly because it had nine stories in one book. Each story to tell and had a different author. Each story explains in some way science-fiction, our future, or addressing some of our world's most pressing problems. Since there was different authors, there were different types of stories. There was one really good story, one bad story, and the rest were decent. Overall, I enjoyed reading this book ...more
Nicole Bunge
Oh, how I loved this book!
At least 3 of these stories have been featured on "Escape Pod" - which is why I bought it.
Near-future paradigm shift moments. Yummy good.
I got to meet the editor and get it signed at Wiscon. He does a lot of anthologies - zombies, and a new one coming out on vampires - woot!
Assistant editor of Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction.
If'n you want to borrow my copy, holler, but I AM KEEPING THIS. I GOT IT SIGNED. :P
Colin
Aug 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars on this. Great concept, the stories were all thought-provoking at minimum, and there were a couple standouts, like Tobias Buckell's "Resistance" and Nnedi Okorofor's "Spider the Artist." But I wish it had at least been longer; there are only 10 stories in here. A specifically social justice-oriented science fiction collection could have had more to offer on a greater variety of issues.
Ezmyrelda Andrade
May 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Seeds of Change had highs and lows. Some of the stories were quite engaging, others failed to capture interest. Some of the stories such as Faceless in Gethsemane were subtly intriguing and emotionally charged, while others like Arties aren't Stupid were pointless and needlessly confusing due a glut of ill defined words or concepts. But since the entire book was a short read it wasn't much of a loss of wasted time or effort.
Anthony
This really is one of the strongest anthologies I've read in a while, perhaps because the TOC is reasonably short and the theme is reasonably broad. There wasn't a story that didn't make me think. Some made me laugh, and a couple did make me cry (Blake Charlton's story in particular, and parts of Ted Kosmatka and Nnedi Okorafor's stories as well). Individual story reviews can be found at http://365shortstories.livejournal.co...
David Littlewood
I picked up this because because I was following Ted Kosmatka who has a short story, "N-Words" in this anthology. I'm not as taken with this story as I was with his "Divining Light", but it's another good one.

I was also impressed with Blake Charlton's "Endosymbiont" and Tobias S. Buckell's "Resistance".
Amy
Mar 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Haven't had a chance to read through the entire collection, but read Blake Charlton's Endosymbiont and was thoroughly impressed with his work. I am a big science fiction fan and this short story was a quick read and brought up very important issues with medical ethics that I really enjoyed. Definitely take time to read this collection, and make sure to read Endosymbiont!
Rochelle
Jul 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Many of the stories in this collection has vey intriguing ideas based on themes in science I myself have noticed in recent years. These ideas lent themselves to stories well in about the half the stories - the other half felt a little under-baked, as if there wasn't enough "story" there to hold the piece together.
Sara
Apr 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous collection of stories! There wasn't a single one I didn't like. The stories all deal with the authors' thoughts about how our world is changing and where that might go. There were some really interesting and thought provoking takes on robots and AI's.
I highly recommend this anthology.
Christie
Jun 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
A compact volume that packs a punch. As with any anthology there were hits and misses for me as a reader. My favorite stories were "N-Words" by Ted Kosmatka, and "Arties Aren't Stupid" by Jeremiah Tolbert.

April
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Some of the most mind bending, political, sci fi I have read in a long time. All things I enjoy!
Dance of Armageddon was one of my favorites, but all too real. I could really lose myself reading the n-word. Gave reality a new twist.
Michelle
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A short anthology of SF stories about, as the title implies, sowing seeds of change, usually involving change that affects the whole world. As with most anthologies, some stories are much stronger than others. I think my favorite was the first; it was the most affecting.

A good weekend read.
Diana
Nov 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
OK, so I blew through this book in one evening. It is just science fiction. But the premise is interesting. Write a futuristic answer to a problem of today. The most interesting stories (they each can stand alone) for me were the ones about racism and about global warming.

A fun read.
Steven Farmer
Feb 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
More often than not, each of the nine stories hit their intended mark.
Steven
Jun 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a collection of some of the best fiction I've read in sometime. the Stories are all short and are about big topics so don't read on an empty head.
Cindywho
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
The stories were ok, non particularly memorable, except for the one I'd read before about the Neanderthals and another one about a pipeline in Nigeria (hmm, maybe that's why they were first and last)
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
i liked almost all of the stories. a couple of them were too short (i would have liked more of the story). a couple others were just confusing to me. worth a read though.
krista.
Jan 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
There were only two stories that I truly didn't like, and several of them, I liked very much. The collection was the perfect length for me, too. Worth checking out for sure.
Alexis
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
I didn't even remember to add this to my goodreads list until a month later, that's how meh this collection left me.

• The Apex Book of World SF (Apex Book of World SF #1)
  • Dark Faith
  • The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology
  • Other Earths
  • The Stories: Five Years of Original Fiction on Tor.com
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2016
John Joseph Adams is the series editor of BEST AMERICAN SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY. He is also the bestselling editor of many other anthologies, such as ROBOT UPRISINGS, DEAD MAN'S HAND, BRAVE NEW WORLDS,WASTELANDS, and THE LIVING DEAD. Recent and forthcoming books include WHAT THE #@&% IS THAT?, OPERATION ARCANA, PRESS START TO PLAY, LOOSED UPON THE WORLD, and THE APOCALYPSE TRIPTYCH (cons ...more
“And so the name by their box had changed every few years, as the college entrance questionnaires strove to map the shifting topography of political correctness. Every few years, a new name for the group would arise—and then a few years later sink again under the accumulated freight of prejudice heaped upon it.” 0 likes