Start by marking “Dreams in Deadwood (Seven Brides of South Dakota, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dreams in Deadwood (Seven Brides of South Dakota, #1)

Dreams in Deadwood

(Seven Brides of South Dakota #1)

He has a vice as bad as her father.

Jennie Arnsby wants nothing more than to turn around and go home. Her family is on their way to Deadwood, SD, when Aiden finds his way to their small wagon train. His teasing and banter leaves her wanting to toss him out the back and in the dust. When, they are separated outside the city, she is left wondering if she’ll ever see him again
Published February 28th 2017 by Self

To ask other readers questions about Dreams in Deadwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreams in Deadwood

Start your review of Dreams in Deadwood (Seven Brides of South Dakota, #1)
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)

Dreams in Deadwood by Kari Trumbo is a sweet western romance. The series itself follows characters first introduced in A Ruby Glows (part of the Cutter’s Creek series) – a family of sisters relocating to Deadwood, South Dakota. It can be definitely read as a stand alone but there were times, especially early on, when I felt like everyone knew each other but me lol.

The romance between Aiden and Jennie is full of flirting (mostly from Aiden) and emotion (mostly from Jennie) and some gre
Sydney
Book one in the Seven Brides of South Dakota Series, Dreams in Deadwood, by Kari Trumbo, is an excellent sweet inspirational western romance that readers will absolutely fall in love with. From the very beginning of the novel, the characters come to life off the pages and readers will come to know and love them. Trumbo’s excellent storytelling and rich western theme will keep the attention of readers from the first page all the way to the very end of the story. Through overcoming the struggles o ...more
Bess
Jul 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
This was my first book by Kari Trumbo. Not sure it was for me.
It started out really well. Jennie & Aiden met on the way to Deadwood, SD. Their friendly banter was great. However, it didn't really last. I guess I was hoping for more of a quick witted comedy than an actual historical read. That's my fault.
Both characters were deep. Aiden was trying to prove himself to his family. Jennie was trying to make a place for herself in her family of 8 girls.
This was a clean, non-steamy romance. More of a
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
I like a male lead who is a little rough around the edges, and Aiden was that person for me. Combine that with a stubborn woman and it makes for an interesting storyline. I found Jennie to be set in her ways, and although she says she'll do as she's told, she does it sort of grudgingly. Ms. Trumbo picked wonderful setting in the historic novel and I enjoyed reading about their journey as much as when they arrived in Deadwood.

It was evident that the author did her homework in researching this ti
Hart's Reader Group
This was a sweet, fun, romantic, emotional romp through American history. I've loved the Arnsby family since reading A RUBY GLOWS where I first met Jennie and her sisters. I am so glad Jennie found a man who could be patient with her, protect her, and love her. Aiden is a hardworking man, who loves his family, is loyal to a fault, and falls hard to Jennie. So sweet!

This was a well-written historical romance that focuses on the development of characters rather than unnecessary sexual elements.

Gre
Claire
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
While reading this I kept thinking that I've started a series part way through, but no, this is book one, and yet, I definitely feel like there's history I should know and don't.

Jennie and Aiden are so sweet together, the chemistry is there from early on and the way they dance around each other is amusing. The relationship develops in a believable way and the other characters form a great supporting cast.

I loved Jennie's stubbornness at times and at others I wanted to tell her to stop. Her abili
Brenda
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful audiobook. The narrator was great and took me right on down the Oregon Trail and into Deadwood. The story itself was an Inspirational Western Adventure and takes us on a great journey. Oh yes and there is plenty of romance from Aiden and Jennie. Ruby and Bo are already married but there’s still a good romance going on there too. I loved the way Bo, Ruby and Aiden explained to Jennie how the men looked after the safety and well-being of their women and would provide for them. Because ...more
Lori D
This started it all. Well the Arnsby's going to Deadwood, SD anyway! Jennie Arnsby was about to turn eighteen and she was stuck on a wagon train going to SD. All she wanted to do was stay in Cutter's Creek with her mother, but she was told she had to go with her sisters. Her older sister Ruby and her husband Beau pretty much lead everyone and Beau had deemed himself their protector, taking the place of a father figure (of course their real father was another matter).
Along the way they ran into
Trisha
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Two stubborn hearts wrestle with each other and try to push away from a love that is obvious to everyone around them. I enjoyed listening to the unabridged audio book version from audible. It sure made housework more enjoyable. I have to admit that toward the last several chapters I was actually searching for extra things I could do so as to have more time to listen!

These characters have great chemistry and I especially enjoyed the banter. I laughed out loud several times and found myself talkin
Margie Vickers
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Will love overcome the list for gold or family obligations?

A young girl was uprooted from home and moved to Deadwood S. D. by her sister and brother-in-law. Along the way she meets a man who is good hungry and has a past he can't explain. The young lady refuses to marry because of her ma and pa's marriage. They go back and forth on the idea of marriage, will they get together. It also tells of her sister's, one who leaves in a mysterious way. A very entertaining story and fantastic characters. I
Shonda
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Jennie and Aiden are characters you cant help fall in love with. Jennie was so cute! Her character had her sometimes a young girl but sometimes a woman. She had me laughing at how cute she could be. The story is one about forgiveness, the prodigal son returns home and romance. I know you will love this book as much as me. I have to read the second book in the series! You will love this book and series!
Sonya
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jennie and Aiden's story

This book kept my attention the whole way through. I loved it!! It was a clean, wholesome tale about a family that moved to a town none of them knew anything about. Along the way they meet a man named Aiden, who joins them on their journey and becomes a very important part of their life. Read about how he and one of the girl's fall in love, but then he has to leave. It is an adventure you don't want to miss!
Judy Kieffer
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the book

I enjoyed the book the history it gives a total different view of Deadwood. A must read for people who enjoy history
Sandy
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book

This is such a great story. I can't wait to read the rest of the series. It is so well written and gives a glimpse of Deadwood, which I will be visiting in June.
Lilmissmolly
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming Gold Rush Era Romance
Dreams in Deadwood by Kari Trumbo is the first book in the Seven Brides of South Dakota series. It is a clean romance set during the gold rush era. Unlike most books of this genre (with yet another mail-order bride), here we have a family of sisters relocating to Deadwood, South Dakota. The story centers around Jennie Arnsby who wants nothing more than to turn around and go home. Along the way, Jennie and her family meet Aiden Bradly who left Kansas in search of
Delena constant
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dreams

This was a delight to read,very well written and the Story is Easy to follow. Time and space does not change a lot with in true Love. Never a boring moment from the moving wheels of a Wagon to the destination. I give this a 5🌟 rating. I enjoyed this Book.
Robyn Echols
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Feel Good Romance

This sweet family oriented romance draws on the old fashioned values and practices typical of the time. Jennie resists leaving a place she feels at home and going somewhere new, even though family is going with her. She meets Aiden who is battling his own demons and desire to be a son his family can be proud of. Tragedy strikes more than once as the author keeps the story exciting. An enjoyable romance with a satisfying ending hinting at more stories to come.
Karilyn
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good book

Well written and incorporates real events. I have been to Deadwood and I can see a story like this happening back then!
Erin Krol
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story!

Truly enjoyed Jennie and Aiden's story. Well developed, likable characters who grow and evolve. Can't wait for the next book!
Toula
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hero is Aiden. Heroine is Jennie This is book 1 of the 7 sisters.
Jennie is on her way to Deadwood SD. She dreads going there all she wants is go back home Half way there she meets Aiden Jennie doesn’t know how to take Aiden.
Aiden has a purpose in life. Find his gold and go home . Aiden is attracted to Jennie but he doesn’t want to get off tract.
This story is full of mystery suspense and love

Love how Meghan Kelly nailed it right on she did the parts great
Jenn (YeahOrNeighReviews)
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
Jennie is traveling to Deadwood with her family when Aiden comes across their path. She's not sure what to make of his attention and keeps him at arms length. This was a charming story that had me yelling back at the audiobook during the last few chapters, lol.
Kailey
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. This is the first book I have read from this author, but it won’t be the last. I look forward to reading more. I liked all of the characters. I really liked Aiden and Jenny. I think the storyline progressed pretty well. I recommend this book. I also highly recommend the audiobook version. I listened to the whole thing in a few hours, it was that good.
Stephanie (Between the Coverz)
A sweet adventure of healing and finding love!

Dreams in Deadwood is a sweet western romance in the Seven Brides of South Dakota Series. This is a story that shows a person can change and keep their promises when love is on the line. You learn so many different lessons in this story – honesty, forgiveness, love, respect, healing and even how to overcome the hardships that we all face in life. Even though tragedy strikes, Aiden and Jennie still find love and healing together.

A delightfully writte
Suzie Waltner
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A new life in a new town is more than enough change for Jennie Arnsby.

Yet, when Aiden Bradly joins their group as the wagons near Deadwood, South Dakota, more change is exactly what she gets.

A story of letting go of past mistakes and hurts, Kari Trumbo brings readers into the hustle, bustle, and dangers of the newly-formed gold rush town. As Aiden challenges Jennie to find something she likes about her new home, she challenges him to let go of something he’s been dead-set on since leaving his fa
Pam
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dreams in Deadwood: Seven Brides in South Dakota Book 1 is by Kari Trumbo. This starts the second in the series about the seven sisters of the Arnsby family. Ruby and Beau head out from Cutter’s Creek to Deadwood to begin a new life along with Ruby’s sisters.
Jennie Arnsby, the second oldest girl, doesn’t want to leave Cutter’s Creek and their Mother. She wants to stay here where it is fairly small and the community is nice. She doesn’t want constant change. However, her Mother insists on her go
Deb
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having grown up in the Mount Rushmore state, I was pleased to find a series of western romances set in the Black Hills. I spent a great deal of my childhood and adolescence in the area the area the book takes place, since I have an aunt & uncle who lived in Lead (until their recent passing).

I love the strength and integrity possessed by Aiden, as well as the pluck and desire to protect her heart displayed by Jennie. That they belong together is clear from the beginning, and I adore the way the a
April
Dreams in Deadwood
: Kari Trumbo

This is a sweet clean historical, western romance. A group of sisters are moving to the wild town of Deadwood. They meet up with a lone traveler along the way. There are plenty o twists and turns to keep the listener on the edge of their seat. Will a real romance develop or will family obligations and differences keep them apart. Interesting start to this series. I'd like to see where it goes from here.

The narration was well done. The characters were well portrayed
Pamela Mitchell
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful beginning to the Seven Brides of South Dakota series by new-to-me author Kari Trumbo with memorable characters and beautifully written story that gives an afternoon of reading pleasure and a glimpse of history in and around Deadwood in the 1890's. I loved the sweet and tender romance between Jennie Arnsby and Aiden Bradly. Dreams in Deadwood is a must-read for fans of this genre.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book and enjoyed it so much I purchased a copy.
Lisa
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet historical romance. I was quickly rooting for Aiden and Jennie. There is a love for family very evident in the book. The characters develop throughout the story. The dialogue felt natural. There are some interesting historical facts sprinkled through the book. I would not hesitate to recommend this book to readers of historical romance. I will look for more opportunities to read Kari Trumbo’s work.
Pat
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The great character and storyline development hooked me right from the very beginning and I stayed totally captivated until the very last page! This was the first book that I have read from this author and it definitely will not be the last!

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.

• Jake's Honor (Romancing the West: Cowboys of Coulee Crossing #1)
  • Luella's Longing (Romance on the Oregon Trail #2)
  • Crane's Bride (Wild Rose Country, #1)
  • This Treacherous Journey (Heart of the Mountains #1)
  • Finding a Bride for The Cowboy
  • Wagon Train Matchmaker (Love on the Santa Fe Trail #3)
  • Cinders' Bride (Mail Order Brides of Texas, #1)
  • We've Only Just Begun (Oregon Trail Dreamin', #1)
  • Lacy's Legacy (Westward Home and Hearts Mail-Order Brides, #1)
  • This Daring Journey (Heart of the Mountains, #6)
  • The two Christmas Gifts
  • Loving a Rebel: The Preacher's Daughter (Glory, Montana #1)
  • Love in Times of Injustice: A Historical Western
  • Wagon Train Wedding (Love on the Santa Fe Trail #2)
  • Reluctant Bride (Dakota Brides #4)
  • The Redemption (Legacy of the King's Pirates, #1)
  • New Beginnings (Cutter's Creek #2)
  • Cora's Courage (Romance on the Oregon Trail #1)
Kari Trumbo is a writer of Christian Historical Romance and a stay-at-home mom to four vibrant children. She does freelance developmental editing and blogging. When she isn't writing or editing, she homeschools her children and pretends to keep up with them. Kari loves reading, listening to contemporary Christian music, singing when no one is listening, and curling up with a fluffy blanket when wi ...more

Seven Brides of South Dakota (7 books)
  • Kisses in Keystone (Seven Brides of South Dakota #2)
  • Love in Lead (Seven Brides of South Dakota Book 3)
  • Romance in Rapid (Seven Brides of South Dakota Book 4)
  • Sparks in Spearfish (Seven Brides of South Dakota Book 5)
  • Hearts in Hot Springs (Seven Brides of South Dakota, #6)
  • Courting in Custer (Seven Brides of South Dakota Book 7)

News & Interviews