Start by marking “The Lost Book of Wonders” as Want to Read:
The Lost Book of Wonders

The Lost Book of Wonders

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  49 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Venice is sinking.
As engineers struggle to save the city from its watery fate, a metal chest is discovered beneath the surface of a murky canal. Tossed into the waters in 1355, it contains the long-lost possessions of none other than the famed explorer Marco Polo. When the chest is brought to light, its discovery stirs an ancient society from the shadows of history. Convi
Published April 6th 2017 by Deeds Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Book of Wonders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Book of Wonders

Judy
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was amazed when I realized this is a debut novel - the writing was excellent and the story was riveting. While reading it I felt as I did when reading Dan Brown's 'The Da Vinci Code' - totally engrossed and excited. I couldn't put it down. What a great adventure story! Archeologists follow clues left by Marco Polo, the great adventurer, to try to track down a legendary place - The Garden of Eden. There are those who wish to stop them and steal their clues no matter the cost. This was a 5 star ...more
Joyce
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

Our story starts in 1355 in Venice. A man is trying to get a mysterious chest aboard a ship when he discovers the captain has been murdered. He is being chased, so he tips the chest into the water and commits suicide.

When Venice is undergoing a facelift due to the sinking of the city, the chest is discovered. This brings a secret society to the fore to take possession of the chest. Supposedly the chest belonged to Marco Polo who as we know, said that he didn’t tell all in his memoirs. Th
Roopkumar Balachandran
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this Kindle edition through Netgalley.

"The Lost Book of Wonders written by Chad Brecher has exciting plot line, is a fast paced novel with fantastic characterization and superb narration".

The story opens in Venice, 15th April 1355, as Domenico secretly takes a metal chest to hand over it to his Captain. But he finds that his captain is dead and he been followed. Domenico drowns the metal chest before he dies.

Present day in Venice an engineer Pietro Zeno finds the metal chest and hand
Devann
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

I used to read a TON of these archaeological thrillers back when The DaVinci Code was really popular, but I don't think I've actually touched one in at least eight years. I mention this mostly because while I found this book very fun and enjoyable [if a BIT on the long side], I can easily see how someone who reads this genre a lot would be put off by all of the [if I am remembering correctly] really common tropes.
Michelle
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast-paced archeological thriller in the vein of James Rollins and Dan Brown. Two archeologists following Marco Polo's clues are chased by organizations who want the secrets which just might have to do with Genghis Khan and the Garden of Eden.
Vijay Anand
Such promise, such potential, such a tragic waste.

Chad Brecher’s ‘The Lost Book of Wonders’ begins on a very intriguing note — a man is secreting away a chest belonging to the famed Marco Polo, as Venice comes under siege from its own people. He is — expectedly — unsuccessful, and the chest is lost to time.

Fast forward, and a feisty archaeological expert called Eleanor Griffin and a partner are involved in a failed expedition to extract important historical objects from Iraq, with the exception
Melisende d'Outremer
With a mystery that would rival Dan Brown's "Da Vinci Code", you hit the ground running as this action adventure with historical twists takes off from the prologue. The scene is set - you know that contained somewhere in the pages to follow is the mystery - and at its heart, adventurer and explorer Marco Polo.

Just what could Marco Polo have discovered that is worth killing for?? Ellie Griffin and Alex Stone set off, as the clues lead them into the Mongolian heartland where Marco Polo spent time
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy tales of adventure with a hint of history and mystery, this book just might be a great fit for you. Think along the lines of Indiana Jones or Dan Brown's series of books featuring Robert Langdon.)

The main characters are primarily academics studying particular time periods of history. When a few artifacts are discovered, they are brought together on a wild ride that takes them across the globe.

The artifacts are tied to Marco Polo and the 'prize' is the Garden of Eden. The question i
Anna
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like my escape fiction.   Action, adventure and if there is a little historical intrigue all the better.  Although it promised to be, this novel was not of that caliber.  There was something off about the writing, little inconsistencies that made it difficult to slog through (for example in the prologue, in one paragraph someone struggles to carry a chest, in the next he's described as carrying it with no issues) and often the word choices made me wonder if someone without a grasp of the engli ...more
James Fisher
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it
By turns exciting, educational but overly long on explanations, this was nevertheless a page turner as we follow a professor and an undergrad on a quest for the Garden of Eden. My review at Books and Benches: http://ow.ly/irUR30aq63S
Abigail
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This book is non stop action! Every page compels you to read the next. I hope to see a lot more from Chad Beecher!
Manuela Wilfinger
Amazing Book!

It is very well written and a real page-turner. I would definitely recommend the book to everyone who enjoyed reading Dan Brown, James Rollins or the stories of Indiana Jones.

I am not a fan of spoilers, so I will keep the summary down to the essential. The story starts in Venice in 1355 with a mysterious chest and picks up in the year 2005 where a wooden box is found in Iraq, costing Dr. Gordon Russells life. After mourning his death, Dr. Eleanor Griffin decides to uncover the secre
Annemarie Macken
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novel is a good read for those with an avid interest in history, adventure and escapism. There is a wealth of detail provided throughout and incredible subject knowledge displayed, although this could also be seen as a deterrent that gets in the way on occasion - sometimes explanations can be a little long-winded and repetitive. That said, there is enough plot here to keep the reader engaged and wanting to get to the end of the mystery.
The plot bears a resemblance to the kind of story the re
Katie
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of the book through Netgalley.

He was reminded that, "history is written by the victors"

History meets mystery. It is a fast paced book that has elements of history together wish some speculation and mystery, as it is proper for the genre. The book is easy to read and keeps the reader reading it even through the night. I do not know how historically accurate the 'history' things are, but it sure invoked the desire to look up more about Marco Polo. The beginning is interesting a
Amutha
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received a kindle version for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

An archaeological thriller. Marco Polo. Genghis Khan. Garden of Eden. Everything is there.
The story is fast paced and keeps you on toe. It seems once I started reading, I cannot put it down. I love it so much. I would seriously suggest this book to those who love historical thriller. Not much of romance going on between the two leads. A hint here and there only.
So, nothing to distract you from the action paced
Cynde
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, a little slow developing. The main characters (good guys) are supposedly well educated professionals but I found they often acted immature and childish. That and thetwo main characters budding romance sometimes got in the way of the story. The opposition characters are reasonably stereotypical. The history and the storyline was very well done just needs some work on characterization.
Nancy Schwartz
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down. It is suspenseful and fascinating. I am inspired to learn more about history, science, and religion because of the way Chad Brecher took me on this adventure. I highly recommend it!
Nancy Schwartz
Monica
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting read. It was a page turner from page 1.
Ceylan
Nov 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, i-give-up
I tried so hard to get through this book, but it just wasn't working for me. It started off well enough but then was downhill. I couldn't care less about the characters, and although I can tell the author did a lot of research, I started to feel like it was all about all these details and the plot wasn't moving fast enough.
In the end, I got about half was thru the b0ok and decided I have so may others to read, I should just move on.

I received a copy of this book through NetGalley for an honest r
S. E.  Drummond
An interesting, but sometimes pondering read. While getting off to an interesting start, after the initial momentum slows down, the story starts to drag amid too much history and explanation. Without the character development, and with the language deficits, the plot turns into a slightly mediocre DaVinci Code that leaves little lasting impression after the final page.

Thank you to the publisher and to NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Jamie S
Apr 29, 2017
Marjolein
Full review to come!

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Mine
  • Ritual: A Novel
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • Birdman
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)