Start by marking “Little Secrets” as Want to Read:
Little Secrets

Little Secrets

What happens when ambition trumps the truth?

A town reeling in the wake of tragedy

An arsonist is on the loose in Colmstock, Australia, most recently burning down the town's courthouse and killing a young boy who was trapped inside..

An aspiring journalist desperate for a story

The clock is ticking for Rose Blakey. With nothing but rejections from newspapers piling up, her jo
Published October 17th 2017 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about Little Secrets, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Little Secrets
Chelsea Humphrey
I’m such a sucker for books set in Australia; I’m not sure what it is about the setting, but they feel atmospheric in a way that reading about stories happening in the United States just doesn’t compare to. I was a huge fan of Snoekstra’s last book, Only Daughter, and when I saw she had another book coming out I couldn’t request it quickly enough. While this was a good read, I want to be clear that it is completely different from the style and pacing of her debut novel. Where Only Daughter was t ...more
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: It was a pleasant, quiet morning until the woman started screaming. The street had been silent except for the sound of birds chirping in the sky and the distant rumbles of a lawn mower. Mrs Lucie Hoffman had opened her front door to collect the morning edition of the Star. Instead, she found a porcelain doll sitting on top of the paper on her doorstep, staring up at her. It had thick dark hair and glassy green eyes. That was when the screaming started.

THE BLURB: What happens when ambit
Brenda
As the local courthouse burned in the small town of Colmstock in country Australia, the shock of the police and fire crew turned to desperation – there was someone inside and there would be no getting them out alive. Was it arson?

As Rose Blakey’s time for moving out of the only home she’d known all her life moved closer, her desperation at the continued rejections from newspapers all over the country heightened. She had wanted to be a journalist for as long as she could remember. The waitressing
Veronica ⭐️
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anna Snoekstra has written a complex and riveting novel with a clearly manipulative and unlikeable protagonist.
Straight up Rose starts to manipulate the reader. I initially felt sorry for her but the more I read the more I learned that she was selfish and unscrupulous.

Set in a small country town where unemployment is high and drug use is on the increase you could feel the oppression. Rose’s only ambition is to become a journalist and leave Colmstock behind.

As in “Only Daughter” Snoekstra has aga
Lisa
Sep 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aussie-authors
The blurb got me in straight away a prose about a boy murdered in a fire in the Court house in Colmstock Australia he had a memorial out the front& his father Frank who did it as his son was special in Colmstock as he was brain damaged, he was 13 but acted more like a child which Frank could easily do a fire to get the insurance payout which would be quite a settlement now that sounds good doesn't it?

But as we read further into the book we get a history lesson on the town & every buildi
Carolyn
Living in a struggling little rural town in Australia, full of little secrets and some big lies, Rose Blakey hopes to escape by getting a journalist's cadetship in the city. So far she's had no luck so when strange events start to happen in her town she decides to make her own news story by writing for a local paper. What she doesn't realise is that she will cause a lot of fear and stir up a lot of trouble that will have major repercussions for the town.

I really enjoyed Anna Snoekstra's second n
Zoe
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars!

Creepy, gritty, and exceptionally atmospheric!

In this latest novel by Snoekstra, Little Secrets, she transports us to Colmstock, Australia, a small town not only devastated by economic depression but reeling from the destruction and tragedy caused by an arsonist with no conscience, and a potential predator who seems to be targeting the local children.

The prose is somber and taut. The characters are deceptive, scheming, and self-involved. And the plot, which is ultimately about life, lo
Aditi
“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places.”

----Roald Dahl

Anna Snoekstra, an Australian author, has penned a riveting psychological thriller called, Little Secrets that is centered around a small Aussie town, where a female wannabe journalist lives amidst her unhappy family and the haunting memories of burning down of the courthouse with a kid inside it, but when porcelain dolls looking like
Heidi
I think that over the last decade or so, Australian mystery & crime fiction has really come into its own, with authors using unique characteristics in their stories and creating a niche market for themselves that draws readers from all around the world for an Aussie interpretation of “noir”. For me, these are books that have a strong sense of place, using the harshness of nature and the remoteness of the setting to create tension and a constant undercurrent of menace and danger to the story. Lit ...more
Dale Harcombe
A small town in Australia is experiencing shocking events. A fire which burnt down the courthouse and one of the businesses in town, was also responsible for the death of a young boy. And then dolls looking eerily like some of the children in town are left at various doorsteps. One arrives for young Laura at her home. The police of Colmstock are concerned about the implications of the dolls. Rose, who is desperate to get out of Colmstock, sees the dolls could be a big story. She elicits what inf ...more
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
With temperatures steadily rising here in Australia, Australian novelist Anna Snoekstra of Only Daughter fame returns with her second work of fiction, a sizzling summer crime thriller titled, Little Secrets.

Colmstock is a small Australian town doing it tough. The local automotive factory has closed its doors, leaving behind a trail of debt and unemployment. Further despair comes to this tiny town when the local courthouse is burnt down by an arsonist. Even m
TL
I received this via Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for an honest review. All my opinions are my own. 😊
---

Interesting idea but ultimately didn't capture me fully. *shrugs*
marlin1
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Little Secrets by Anna Snoekstra, my first by this author.
It was dark, gritty and handled the stifling atmosphere of a small town down on its luck so well. I could feel the hopelessness of it all.
It opens with the courthouse and local store recently being set alight by an arsonist and a young boy being trapped and killed in the fire. Then creepy porcelain dolls appear on the doorstep of young girls in the town, strangely they look like the girls living in the respective houses.
R
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
This is a fantastic book! And it is an Aussie book... so proud! The descriptions and the characters are so real that I could see it all happening while I was reading. The story of a small town and a girl with ambition.. that sometimes made her unpopular in town with the locals. A wonderful story.. A very big thank you to Netgalley and Harlequin Australia for an advance copy of this book to read and review
Elaine
Nov 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Little Secrets was my first, and now, my last book by Ms. Snoekstra.

This was a very easy review to write because everything about the book was so effing awful.

The only takeaways I got from Little Secrets besides the dumb title is that the small town of Colmstock is full of:

1. Homophobes and racists

2. A sexual predator in the form of the loser cop who salivates over Rose, the main character, in all its disgusting imagery (Hi, sexual violence as a literary device - its been so long! NOT!!!
Emma♔☯ (Bookishfix)
Im still not sure how i feel about this book, i find when this happens and i put my thoughts down that i come to the realisation on what trumps out, the good or the bad.
I have never heard of this author, and that's okay, because sometimes that's when you find your new favourite, or know to avoid them at all costs.

Colmstock, Australia a once blooming mining town full of opportunity, is now the shell of what it once was. Businesses are closing down, drugs are taking over, employment is scarce an
Marti
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well I have discovered a new favorite author. What a great book. BUT be forewarned if you like mushy gushy all is well that ends well happily for ever and ever....This aint your book.

This book was real and honest and makes you look at things and examine yourself. Who do you assume you know and judge them? What goes on behind closed door? How dishonest and backstabbing can hurt innocent people.

Highly recommend this book.
DeAnna
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this book. Would I recommend it? I'm not so sure. It had a good ending but it took literally 65% into the book for anything exciting to happen. I considered DNF'ing but I stuck it out. I'm glad I did because I was already so far into the book and I liked the "tricky" ending. None of the characters were really very likable. And no happy endings here. But that ending...so different from other mystery thriller books. ...more
Judy D Collins
3.5 Stars Anna Snoekstra returns following her dark and edgy debut, Only Daughter, with her second psychological suspense thriller, LITTLE SECRETS an arsonist, a cop, porcelain dolls, a stranger, dark secrets, mystery, and a journalist are all part of a dying town.

Rose Blakey is living in the small town of Colmstock, Australia. a small town. She is tired of the dead-end job at the Eamon’s Tavern Hotel and her dead-end life.

After the car factory shut down the town had quickly lost its sen
Elaine Tomasso
I would like to thank Netgalley and HQ for an advance copy of Little Secrets, a psychological thriller set somewhere in Australia.

Rose lives in Colmstock, a formerly prosperous mining town but now gone to seed, and dreams of escaping to the city and a career in journalism but dreams are all they are until someone starts leaving porcelain dolls on the doorstep for young girls and her reporting gets her a byline in a city newspaper.

Little Secrets is not really my kind of novel and I struggled to g
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
Last year, I read Only Daughter, the debut by Anna Snoekstra, and I absolutely loved it. I loved the narrative style, the dark tone and the creepy ending. It was a book that I continuously recommended. Needless to say, I was pretty excited to read Snoekstra's follow up with her sophomore novel, Little Secrets.

This novel was completely different from Snoekstra’s previous novel and, to be completely honest, it was not what I was expecting at all.

The novel opens in the wake of a tragedy. An arson
Kari
Jan 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Little Secrets is about a small working class town in Australia where too many secrets and too many hot tempers end up causing a lot of damage to the community. In the wake of a tragic fire where a child was killed, dolls start showing up on the door steps of the children in the town. They strangely look like the children they are left for. Rose is looking for a story that will give her a big break in the world of journalism and uses this one as her jumping board.

I really disliked this book. I p
Bookread2day
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
After reading the prologue with a fire, I thought that this was going to be a really good book but after reading the first page from then on the story dipped for me. I read Only Daughter by Anna Snoekstra and enjoyed every page so I just couldn't get a copy quick enough of Little Secret. Although I didn't like reading Little Secret I definitely will be reading Anna's next book which I hope I will enjoy more. If you haven't read Only Daughter I recommend that book . As for Little Secret some read ...more
Jean
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although I was frustrated off and on throughout this book, I must admit that Snoekstra weaves a good tale. At first I was all set to rate this one 3, but the more I thought about the book I ended up rating it 3.5 rated up to 4.
Jeanette
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 star, nearly a 5. This will be some task to review this book and so please be patient with me. There's a lot to say. This is one I truly recommend. First, I think its title is a misfit? This is about basics of "life management" and very little of anything in this book is truly secret, IMHO. The lies are not little/ small lies either- not to my own scales of emotional OR legal bases of "small". It's more about finding a life's work when you come out of a place or education which have given yo ...more
Mary Bird
Feb 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
I always feel bad about one star reviews, because I still respect that the author had the dedication to sit down, write a whole story, and figure out the publication process. But I just actively disliked this book. I was interested enough at the beginning, but it’s just so over the top, and a majority of the characters are basically revolting and don’t behave in ways that feel genuine. Lots of threads that didn’t go anywhere, and I just wasn’t enjoying it at all. I feel like maybe this is what s ...more
Shirley Revill
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book and I loved the storyline. I really enjoy a good crime mystery and this story ticked all the boxes for me.
Recommended.
Charlene
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There were times when Little Secrets was interesting and engaging, but at other times, I found the story line difficult to buy into. Many of the sub-plots showed promise (which is why I read the book to the end), but fizzled out becoming somewhat implausible with disappointing, unrealistic outcomes. The characters started out with the suggestion that they would develop into well rounded participants in the story, but ultimately turned out to be shallow, self-centred, unlikeable and difficult to ...more
Kirsten
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This is what I would call a pressure cooker story. Take an isolated and poor community, add some pressure, some heat, and some wild cards and see what happens. What happens is crazy.

People think that big cities are dangerous, but small towns can be even more dangerous. When you are a tight community, the other becomes more and more of a threat to people.

This story has some great characters, some sordid goings-on, and quite a few mysteries. Very enjoyable.
Dave Martino jr.
Nov 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
I found the book long and drawn out.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Mysteriet i Genbrugsen
  • The Blackbird Season
  • The Blind
  • That Summer (That Boy, #6)
  • Inspire: Life Lessons from the Wilderness
  • Private Moscow: (Private 15)
  • Power of Play: How Spontaneous, Imaginative Activities Lead to Happier, Healthier Children
  • Not What I Expected
  • Life Sentences
  • You Don't Know Me
  • The Bookworm's Guide to Faking It (The Bookworm's Guide, #2)
  • Final Cut
  • Ever After Always (Bergman Brothers, #3)
  • Bootlegger's Daughter (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #1)
  • Act Your Age, Eve Brown (The Brown Sisters, #3)
  • A Terrible Secret
  • Confessions of a Medical Heretic
  • Falling for Your Boss (Love Clichés, #2)
Anna Snoekstra was born in Canberra, Australia in 1988. She studied Creative Writing and Cinema at Melbourne University, followed by Screenwriting at RMIT University.

Anna's short films and music videos have screened around the world. She has written an array of published and award winning short fiction. Her debut novel ONLY DAUGHTER was published in September 2016 (Mira). Her second novel LITTLE S