Start by marking “Broken Lands (Broken Lands, #1)” as Want to Read:
Broken Lands (Broken Lands, #1)

Broken Lands

(Broken Lands #1)

New York Times bestselling author Jonathan Maberry returns to the world of Rot & Ruin with this first novel in a brand-new series that’s more thrilling and filled with exceptionally terrifying adventures.

Ever since her mother’s death, Gabriella “Gutsy” Gomez has spent her days flying under the radar. But when her mother’s undead body is returned to her doorstep from
Published December 11th 2018 by Simon & Schuster

Start your review of Broken Lands (Broken Lands, #1)
Karen’s Library
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
ALL the stars to Jonathan Maberry's return to the Rot & Ruin world in book 1 of his brand new series, Broken Lands! I'm so happy he chose to return to this world and to return to some of my favorite characters ever, Benny Imura, Nix, The Lost Girl, Chong, and especially Joe Ledger!!

Broken Lands opens with a brand new character, Gutsy Gomez, who lives in New Alamo, Texas, in the part of the U.S. they call the Broken Lands.

The book opens with Gutsy burying her Mama, twice, first on Monday and
Annette
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Wow! Wow! I'm so happy to be back in the Rot & Ruin. Well, actually, I'm very glad I'm not actually there, but Broken Lands was such a welcome addition to the world that Maberry created in his Benny Imura (Rot & Ruin) series.

Gutsy is our main character. She lives in New Alamo, a very protected and seemingly thriving community, safe from the "Los Muertos" (her mother's name for the undead.) Her mother has just died from tuberculosis - yes, many of the old diseases have returned. And
Tracy
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic edition from Mr. Maberry! Loved hearing from one of my fall time favorites - Joe Ledger!
This series is geared towards the YA age group - with the main protagonist being 15yo and was a nice change in perspective. Speaks to all age groups as well.
Lots of action to go along with the superbly well done character development. Looking forward to book #2 with much anticipation since the conclusion is quite the cliff-hanger. . .
Haley Hope Gillilan
Oh man, it's incredible to be back in the Rot and Ruin.

I mean, not really. This is truly one of the bleakest dystopias I've ever read. But Fire & Ash (the last book in this world) came out when I was a freshman in college, so it's been a while. I was really pleased with the new characters, and it's so great to see Lilah, Chong, Nix, and of COURSE, my son Benny Imura- one of my favorite Japanese-American YA characters of all time.

Even though I felt like a lot of the twists were somewhat
stormin
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, young-adult
At this point, I think I've read enough post-apocalyptic zombie novels that I could create a shelf just for them. This would be the most fun book on that shelf, but not the best.

I really, really enjoyed the world-building. For lack of a better word, the setting had more character than almost any book I've read in a long time. A lot of the writing was also just really incredible, with gripping scenes and setups that definitely pulled me in. The cast of characters was large and diverse with lots
Heaven Ashlee
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a sequel series (duology?) to the Rot & Ruin series by Maberry. I read that series previously and thoroughly enjoyed it. From the artwork on the end pages, to the drab and gory and horrifying world of Mountainside and the Rot & Ruin....it hooked me! So I was super excited to see this pop up in my library and read it immediately.

As a sequel series, we spend half the book with familiar faces from Rot & Ruin (Benny, Nix, Layla, Chong) and half the book with new faces (Gutsy,
Ricky
Maberry's back to his old world of YA zompocalypse action, and more than ever, we get to see just how screwed up the world got After The End. No longer simply focusing on Benny Imura and his crew, we also get to follow the POV of a new survivor: Gabriella "Gutsy" Gomez, a bi Mexican girl with more than a passing resemblance to Chloe Bennet according to that stunning cover art - and hell, in text it's stated that likely due to her Native-looking features, she's often mistaken for Asian, just as ...more
Darcy
I really like the world these books are set in, like how the different series connect. This book seems like a continuation of the Rot & Ruin series, set in a different place with new characters and some old favorites.

The events at New Alamo were a bit crazy and more crazy the more you learned. I liked that Gutsy did her best to learn what was going on, to hold people accountable and to do something to save those in her town when they needed. I really loved the people that came to her aid,
P.M.
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Here I was - thinking that Benny, Nix, Lilah, and Chong were all living happily in Mountainside after defeating St. John. Apparently not! It seems like they are off on a new adventure to find out what happened to the fledgling government in Asheville, North Carolina. Needing to detour because of the hordes of zoms in their path, they uncover a plot to annihilate New Alamo, Texas. (Seriously? Who would name a town New Alamo considering what happened to the Old Alamo?) The author introduces some ...more
Cindee
I loved this book it exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds the best Rot and Ruin book yet and now I really want the sequel in my hands now. I really loved the characters Benny and his group I really liked Gutsy and her group so much too I liked the LGBT part too pairing Gutsy with Alice. I liked how well the characters have developed so far and I really liked the new characters. I loved the story starting with Gutsy and then picking up right where we left off with Benny the story was so ...more
Michelle
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't even tell you how excited I was to read this. It was like visiting really good friends you haven't seen in years. The original gang is back together, along with Joe Ledger, and a few new characters. There is a new threat among the undead and it's up to Benny and the gang to stop it. We are introduced to a new character that made my heart leap out of my chest. No spoilers, you have to read for yourself.

If I could give this 10 stars I would. I can't wait for Book 2 to come out!
Audra
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a LONG book but it never lacked in action which is why it took me almost two weeks to read it. I had to give myself breaks from all the zombies. These were no ordinary zombies, either. I don't want to spoil anything for you so I won't go into detail about them, but they were CREEPY.

A very good book and the ending, of course, was a cliff hanger. I'm trying to decide if I want to read the rest of the books in this series. I think I need some time to recover from this one first. :-)
Preston Stell
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m pretty excited about this series. It’s got a lot of classic characters and some new promising ones. Maberry is impressive in that he can switch over to YA pretty easily and write the characters very well...as if he was recently a YA himself. I enjoyed the Rot & Ruin series but think I’m going to like this a whole lot more. And you can’t ask for a better narrator!
Jenny Robinson
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This was everything I wanted. It was such an awesome reunion of characters from my favorite stories (Joe Ledger Series and Rot & Ruin Series). And the new characters are forging a way into my heart. I found it hard to put down. I will admit, I was dancing when the "hunter" appeared. These are such dark horror with an amazing drive towards the positive. I can't wait to ready Book 2!
Susan
Jan 29, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
Readers should be aware that this book is not just a new Benny Imura book, but also a Joe Ledger book AND a Dead of Night book, so beware readers who have only read the Rot & Ruin stories...
Bojan
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cheesy and fun!
Carlos Cabada
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book to all poe who like a good suspense book. It is realist and loved it. I couldn't imagine being in this situation. Me as a sixth grader I could not imagine being in this situation. Overall This is a very good book.
Lou
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Towns and settlements swamped by the dead, zoms, or the biters aka los muertos vivientes, the living dead. There is some kind of evolution in these dead there are the Ravagers, living dead but with some brains in ways still able to kill and maim.
“The Broken Lands were broken indeed.”
There are some theories about these new batch of zoms things unspoken and secretive research with the plague, right from the genesis with patient zero.
You have the memorable crew of men and women from Rot and Ruin
Evan
Jul 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Not sure if this was a horror novel or a medium for Jonathan Maberry to express his political views...

I got this because I thought Maberry's Joe Ledger series and Pine Deep trilogy were some of the best writing I've read. I had not read the "Rot and Ruin" series because it was hailed as a teenage series. So here is why I didn't like this book:
- intended audience was definitely still for teenagers
- main character, Gutsy, was incredibly naive, and it was hard, as an adult, to listen to hours of
Debbie
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had thought the Rot & Ruin series was over so seeing this one was a pleasant surprise. I was happy to see what Benny and his crew were up to after defeating the reapears. There is a lot going on especially with the relationships between friends and the couples which was interesting to see evolve. It's understandable that after everything that happened that they might start looking at each other and their way of life differently than when they were constantly fighting for their lives.

We
Adriana
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Actual Rating: 2.5

It was a good story, I can see why people like it, but it didn't hold my attention the whole time, and it didn't interest me as much as I would've liked.
Rot & Ruin was better. There was more happening, more suspense and action, and I liked the characters more.

Story/Plot
I like plot twists, cliff hangers, a lot of questions the reader has that are gradually answered, and uniqueness. This did have some of that, but not enough for my liking. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good.
Alison Paulette
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jonathan Maberry's newest about Benny Imura and the Rot and Ruin does not disappoint. I am a huge fan of the Rot and Ruin series and loved his characters. This newest endeavor introduces a few new characters, most notably, Gutsy Gomez. Gutsy is smart and analytical. As the story begins, she has just buried her mother and someone has returned her mother (who is now a zombie because as a Catholic she was not spiked) to Gutsy's home. Gutsy, along with her friends Spider and Alethea seek to find out ...more
LindaJ^
I've read one other book by Maberry - it was a book of short stories that featured a private detective who was a werewolf. I enjoyed them, so when this first in a series book was offered as daily deal on Audible, I bought it. It was not as good. It is a YA series with a lot of teens (15-16 yrs) as the main characters. As I learned after the reading the book (but suspected pretty early on) half of the characters come from a prior series (Rot and Ruin) and this series takes place in the dystopian ...more
Meg McGregor
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Mr. Maberry! Did the zoms eat your heart? How could you leave me like that; right at the most exciting part!

Of course, this entire book is full of exciting parts!

There were a couple of places that really stood out for me!

When Gutsy was talking about her love for her deceased Mama, it really struck home for me!

"It was different when Mama died. The hurt seemed to live on both sides of the street, and that street was a dead end."

"Oh, Mama," cried Gutsy, caving forward, and hammering the mound
Mel
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Deep breath*
This book was awesome! I have read maybe one of the Rot and Ruin books and one of the Joe Ledger series.
When I picked this up, I didn't realize it was somewhat of a continuation.
Memorable characters, action, a strong teenage Latina (who is also bi) protagonist, and a plot that somehow ties in with current events. I couldn't put it down.
When Gutsy's mom mentions "Rat Catchers" in a sickness induced haze (from tuberculosis) before she dies... Gutsy thinks it's just that. Delirious
Jen | Jen Talks Audiobooks
Wow.

In this new series set in the world of Benny Imura, we meet some new characters and some surprising ones. Joe Ledger continues to be the entertaining badass that he has always been. Benny and friends now are more saviors than kids who are learning how to defend themselves and their own. Maberry expertly crafts yet another part of this world with zombies that are more complex and we get a glimpse into their creation and the motives behind it.

All in all, it's a great ride. Even more so
Sheryl Salvage
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay! At first I thought this would be the first book that flopped, but after the first 50 pages I finally started to get hooked once again. Jonathan Maberry is an amazing author who has changed the view on zombies. I honestly have loved every book and cannot wait for the next one to find out what happens. I am so glad Sam finally popped up!! I totally forgot about him. I am not going to lie.. I really dont care for the new characters yes. Gutsy and her friends just dont really do anything for ...more
Kimberly
Benny Imura is BACK! A new saga from the Rot & Ruin has begun and I am here for it!

The story is told from 3 main perspectives

*Benny Imura
*Gabriela "Gutsy"
*The old soldier (who's name I will not reveal, because, SPOILERS)

Other POV's enter from time to time, but those are the main ones. The setting is new, as Benny and the gang are headed into the rot & ruin to check out a town that they have lost contact with. Gutsy is a resident of the town of New Alamo (very unfortunate name) and the
John Perrone
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the series "Rot and Ruin" so this continuing adventure for Benny and his friends is a delight. New characters and new zombies that make one not put down the book for a breath occurs. Jonathan Maberry knows how to tell a story. Does it stand alone? With the continuing tale involving Benny I would say no. One must get some background on this group of recurring characters but the new group of teenagers led by "Guts" begin a new chapter for this series and they do stand alone. The new ...more
Regina
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hardback with red and black cover.

Returning to the apocalyptic world of Jonathan Mayberry's "Rot & Ruin" with a new teen survivor, Gutsy Gomez. Reflecting political and ethical topics of current times: racism against BIPOC and immigration.

Gutsy is a great character and I truly enjoyed her story. I found it interesting that Benny Imura and his "warrior smart" gang, along with Joe Ledger, were also brought in to tie everything together but the world of living survivors is ever shrinking and
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dead Moon (Threshold, #3)
  • Rip-Off!
  • Harden (Lee Harden, #1)
  • Alter
  • The Last Kids on Earth and the Midnight Blade
  • Outland
  • Alita: Battle Angel
  • The Others
  • Alexander X (Battle For Forever Book 1)
  • Five Midnights
  • The Void Protocol (The ICE Sequence, #3)
  • We Told Six Lies
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and five-time Bram Stoker Award-winning author, anthology editor, comic book writer, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. He was named one of the Today’s Top Ten Horror Writers. His books have been sold to more than two-dozen countries.

He writes in several genres. His young adult fiction includes ROT

Broken Lands (2 books)
  • Lost Roads (Broken Lands, #2)