Start by marking “Devils Glen (Bettendorf Tales, #1)” as Want to Read:
Devils Glen (Bettendorf Tales, #1)

Devils Glen

(Bettendorf Tales #1)

Seek the gates and save the boy.

Welcome to Bettendorf. At first glance, it seems like a typical Midwestern town, but take a closer look and you might be surprised.

High schooler Jack Davies sees the darkness coming; he lives with it. Cold voices call out from the closet door; dead hands reach up from under his bed. Although he doesn't know it, Jack wields a great power.

Now,
Published March 14th 2017 by Kindle Press (first published February 4th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Devils Glen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devils Glen

Start your review of Devils Glen (Bettendorf Tales, #1)
Montzalee Wittmann
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Devils Glen (Bettendorf Tales #1) by Matthew Speak is a kindle scout book. It is a teen book and speaks the teen language well. It has creatures, horrors, suspense, all teen age based. The group of kids seem likeable and adventure/action right down the alley for teens. I liked it but I think teens will like it more than an adult. I don't think it is a re-reader for adults. Too many things repeated in spots, I would remove some things. But a pretty good read esp. for teens.
Susie
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Susie by: Kindle Scout

Booked By Random

*I received a free copy of this book via the, now defunct, Kindle Scout program, and am voluntarily leaving a review.*

Darkness descends

I took my time getting around to this book, so long in fact that Kindle Scout has now died and gone. But, no matter, I still own a copy of the book, so I have to read and review it at some point, dont I?

Anyway, this book was darker than I normally like to get in to. I was lucky that I didnt have nightmares afterwards! But, I plodded on.

The beginning almost
GracieKat
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-horror

First off I want to say that I love the cover of Devil's Glen. The art is pretty and magical looking. I also love the feel of it. That might seem like a weird thing to mention but it has a grippy feel to it that makes it easy to hold.

I really liked Devil's Glen. The characters were likable and the dialogue of the teenagers flowed nicely. The author didn't make them sound too adult or go overboard in trying to make them sound trendy. The story of Devil's Glen was a bit of an odd mix but somehow
Mary
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to pick up this book up because it was by a former Quad Citian writing about my hometown. And the descriptions of the area did not fail to bring a smile as I read of places that I had known growing up.

Jack Davies is a regular high school kid who has a dark secret that makes him not so "regular". In this version of Bettendorf some really hellish forces are gathering and Jack is right in the middle of it what's going to happen.

I enjoyed this book but would have liked more details about
carmen
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good smattering of story lines that wove together seamlessly for a book that was impossible to it down!

Excellent story line! Couldn't strop reading, so many interesting characters, so much p!of development. Great reading! Would highly recommend to everyone!
Chadwick Vogel
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A new voice in the horror/thriller genre. My friend, Matthew Speak, has written this great novel that combines all the great elements from "The Goonies", "Stand By Me", and "It" - SO. MUCH. FUN.
Julianne Johnson
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun read.

An entertaining twist on monster legends. Bit of a slow start, but picks up the pace quickly. I enjoyed it.
Edward
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Got this title through Kindle Scout. I really had to force myself to continue to the end.

There were some editing errors, and the dialogue seemed really stilted or clumsy in a lot of places.

If this was a normal library loan, I would have set it aside and moved on to other books, but I felt like I owed the book a full read for nominating it in Scout.

Probably will not keep up with subsequent titles in the series.
Rebecca
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-scout
This story felt like a B-level movie--not always elegant, but meant purely for entertainment. It's wacky, gory, and far-fetched, all at the same time. It's filled with all kinds of creatures imaginable, and sure to please those who enjoy horror stories. There are sections that are a bit repetitious when told from the perspective of different people, and some things were mentioned a few too many times. Other than that, it did what it was supposed to do: entertain.

I received a copy of this book
Sharon Sell
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Devil's Glen by Matthew Speak

An amazingly good paranormal read with a bit of something for everyone. Very well written with strong characters, wicked monsters & dark good folks vs light bad guys all combined. Question is which is which? Lots of twists & unexpected turns leaving you hungry for more! I'd give you a 10 star review if possible Mr. Speak! Well done!
Marisa
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Book

My Mother-in-law lives in the area of Devils Glen and all the places they talk about I know... it makes this book all the more interesting.... It kept me on the edge of my seat... There was never a dull moment in the book. Awesome book to read, I think people of all ages could enjoy this book...
Clint Heitz
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-series
I rated a bit higher seeing as how this is a first novel. Characters were interesting, and there were lots of plot lines skillfully wrangled back together. Dialogue needs a little work, and one key character was left in a cliffhanger, but perhaps that will be resolved in the next book. Great first novel!
Brent Doerzman
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'll start out by saying I'm truly not a horror story kinda guy. But loved this! Been a while since I read a good page turner, can't put down kind of book. Even if I'm a wimp and only ready in the daytime! :) I grew up in Bettendorf, so it was fun to actually know all the locations the story took place in also. Just bought book #2!
Christine L
Jul 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I read approximately 100 books a year and have for many, many years so I feel I can say with absolute certainty that this is one of the worst books (if not THE worst) book I have ever read.
Robert Nisi
Mar 23, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Magdalena's Ghost: The Haunting of the House in Gallows Lane
  • The Haunting of Towneley Manor: 'The Haunting of' Series - Book 1
  • Get Your Sh*t Together: How to Stop Worrying About What You Should Do So You Can Finish What You Need to Do and Start Doing What You Want to Do (A No F*cks Given Guide)
  • Life
  • Fifty Shades Trilogy (Fifty Shades, #1-3)
  • The Hero's Journey: Joseph Campbell on His Life & Work (Works)
  • The Twilight Saga (Twilight, #1-4)
  • Women & Money: Owning the Power to Control Your Destiny
  • The Forbidden Door (Jane Hawk, #4)
  • The Crooked Staircase (Jane Hawk, #3)
  • The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset (The Hunger Games, #1-3)
  • The Demise of Humanity
  • Fear (The Quiet Apocalypse #1)
  • Prison of the Dead
  • The Summer the World Ended
  • EMPTY EARTH

Bettendorf Tales (2 books)
  • Crow Creek (Bettendorf Tales, #2)