Start by marking “A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man Behind the Rifle” as Want to Read:
A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man Behind the Rifle

A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man Behind the Rifle

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In 1968, Gary Mitchell enlisted in the army and was sent to Vietnam, where he caught the eye of his superiors, who found that he excelled at long-distance shooting-a discovery that set him on the path to a new identity as a sniper.

During his time in Vietnam, American intelligence agents "borrowed" him from his Army unit and used him to carry out planned assassinations mo
Published January 2nd 2007 by NAL (first published January 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Sniper's Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sniper's Journey

Blake
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. I picked it up thinking it would be about snipers. This is because the title of the book is a sniper's journey. It did talk about his war experience through most of the book, but the overall story was how the war is affecting him still today with PTSD. It was good to hear the voice of someone who struggles with this and how he copes with this on a daily basis. It makes me respect veterans even more.
David Ward
Feb 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: military, non-fiction
A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man Behind the Rifle by Gary D. Mitchell with William Hirsch (Penguin 2006) (616.85212). Gary D. Mitchell was an army sniper in Vietnam who went on to become an asset for the intelligence agencies. My rating 7/10, finished 2007.
Kyla Squires
Quite interesting book on military psychology.
Liam
Actually, 3 stars; I really didn't expect this book to be that good, nearly left it in the free box. I'm glad I took it anyway... ...more
Nate Shaeffer
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man Behind the Rifle by Gary D. Mitchell, is the story of how Gary (referred to as Mitch mostly in the story) enlisted in the army at age 19, as an engineer to work on trucks and other vehicles. But when the Vietnam War kicks into full gear, he is selected to go into combat in Southern Vietnam. He begins his military career the same as most new enlistees, a simple private with an M16. After a few months in country, he is selected to go to marksman school w ...more
Fred
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
"A Sniper's Journey" is a page turner and an easy read. What I liked about the books was the fluid style of the authors and that it covered aspects of the war in Vietnam that I had never read before. But it is written in such a quick summary fashion that the boredom, mental anguish, fear, exhaustion, etc., that Mr. Mitchell experienced while in combat didn't come through on the pages for me. I felt that I never really got to know Mr. Mitchell or his comrades-in-arms.

Where the book does succeed
Ckw538
Jul 20, 2009 rated it did not like it
If i could give negative stars then this book would get a few of those. The book is a poorly written story about how he went on three sniping missions and then it goes into his PTSD crappy life. He should have stopped at the end of the Vietnam war and then had himself an almost worth of print book. Even better he should have never shared this crap of a story with anyone.
Sarah Robbins
This was an easy read. It gave an interesting perspective into how the military trained and used snipers during Vietnam. This book also gives a first hand account of what it's like living with PTSD.
Eric
Oct 25, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There were some good stories in the book, but for some reason, it didn't capture my attention like most autobiographies do.
Hannah