Start by marking “Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence” as Want to Read:
Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence

Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  10,235 ratings  ·  1,058 reviews
How will Artificial Intelligence affect crime, war, justice, jobs, society and our very sense of being human? The rise of AI has the potential to transform our future more than any other technology--and there's nobody better qualified or situated to explore that future than Max Tegmark, an MIT professor who's helped mainstream research on how to keep AI beneficial.

How can
Audio CD, 384 pages
Published August 29th 2017 by Random House Audio Publishing Group (first published August 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Life 3.0, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mark Plutowski
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  10,235 ratings  ·  1,058 reviews

Start your review of Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence
Manny
Last week, I read Nick Bostrom's groundbreaking Superintelligence , an extremely serious, well thought out look at the dangers of creating real artificial intelligences. It left me feeling more than a little concerned: despite working in AI myself, I had not fully appreciated how scary it is. I've just finished this book, written about three years after Bostrom's, and now I'm even more concerned.

Bostrom's book has the air of being primarily intended for senior policy-makers in industry and
Brian Clegg
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I have to confess that my first reaction to this book was not anything to do with the contents, but trying to work out if there was something really clever about the the way the book's title is printed on the spine in white on cream, so it's illegible - would it be, for example, a subtle test of human versus artificial intelligence (AI)? However, that was just a distraction.

Max Tegmark is an interesting and provocative thinker in the physics arena, so I had high hopes for what he'd come up with
Manuel Antão
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Deep Learning Architectures: “Life 3.0 - Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence” by Max Tegmark

“Life 3.0, which can design not only its software but also its hardware. In other words, Life 3.0 is the master of its own destiny, finally fully free from its evolutionary shackles.”

In“Life 3.0 - Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence” by Max Tegmark

See how good your PC is as it ages or you want to install a better
Lor-El
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
description

Unlike the author, I will try to be concise and make my point clear:

1) There is so much name-dropping (authors, books, theories, Ivy League Universities, tv shows, movies... you name it, it's gonna be there) and basically it seems like a secondary literature review rather than an original work.

2) Some chapters feels like fillers, put there just to make the book thicker, they add little to no useful information on Humans and AIs whatsoever.

3) The long awaited (like, 300+ pages awaited)
ScienceOfSuccess
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
tl;dr My animated summary ofLife 3.0 is available here: https://youtube.com/watch?v=9XIcOo5mwQ4

We are approaching times when machines start to understand our world. There is a possibility, that in the near future we will be working with Artificial Intelligence as equal partners. This idea divided people into two groups. Some people expect androids to be our slaves, and others think that people will be working for AI. How should we approach this new age? Should we destroy all electronics, or work
Andrei Khrapavitski
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just finished listening to an audio version of "Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence," a new book by Max Tegmark. His "My Mathematical Universe" is one of my favorites, so I was really looking forward to his new book. And he didn't disappoint. This is a gripping text for anyone interested in AI and the future of life on our planet and beyond. Without a doubt, this is the most important conversation of our times. If you fail to see why it is so important, consider this. ...more
Gary  Beauregard Bottomley
Dec 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Nothing in this book was original. All of the many topics covered in this book were covered in other books that I have read previously. There was definitely a tedious feel to each of the chapters. I think there is no more important or interesting topic then super AI and the author is right when he wants to highlight the topic, but, please tell me things I don’t already know.

The author started each chapter by telling me something that I had already knew, then he would tell me almost nothing more
Graeme Roberts
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best book so far on the possibilities and dangers of artificial intelligence. The grown-up boy genius, Max Tegmark, is ebullient, full of energy, and very charming. What might be considered name dropping in another author is readily forgiven, as he pulls us into the excitement of this rapidly developing field, and his cofounding of The Future Life Institute to ensure that safety measures are adopted to stop AI from dispensing with its dumb old human forebears.

The prelude contains a
Tomq
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Life 3.0 is in turns enlightening and infuriating. It is worth reading for the many enlightening bits.

We are likely to invent A.I. soon. (1) What could happen next, and (2) what should happen next?

To tackle this subject satisfyingly would require somebody who is an unbiased AI researcher, a psychologist, a neuroscientist, a moral philosopher, a metaphysician, a philosopher of mind, an economist, a political scientist, a poet, and perhaps more. Since that person doesn't exist, we're stuck with
Wendy
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wendy by: Goodreads Giveways
“Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence” which I won through Goodreads Giveaways is a fascinating subject that seems like the stuff of a science-fiction novel. It begins with an imaginative “what-if” premise with the tale of the Omega Team who, with a strong commitment to helping humanity secretly build an AI called Prometheus. With security measures in place, this ultra-intelligent machine not only makes millions for its parent organization but transforms the world ...more
David Yoon
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Tegmark is an exuberant AI cheerleader awash in the unbridled nerdy enthusiasm of an inevitable post-human future. To his credit the book, a reflection of the work he's doing out in the world, attempts to broaden the discussion around AI to something more than wondering if sentient robots will kill us all.

His prelude on a plausible AI trajectory is compelling and thoughtful stuff and I loved how it expanded the way I think of AI's progress. The exploration into considering whether super
Romanas
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Artificial Intelligence (AI), in many different forms, has been around for a while now. Most of us, surely, have noticed that this buzzword now frequents many fields of modern human (still) activity. From small things, like my friend recently letting AI to clip and edit his GoPro movie to IBM Watson with deep thinking capabilities, AI is here to permanently alter our lives.

According to Marshall Brain, humans will become as irrelevant as cockroaches. Indeed, if humans create something more
Tashfin Awal
I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways and have chosen to give my honest opinion about it.
This book was a phenomenal read! It opened my mind up to so many new things, it was truly very insightful! The arguments and ideas presented in this book develop some current well-known facts as well as some new theories, all of which are incredibly interesting! The lengths to which arguments are presented and the details greatly help develop the book.
Niklas Laninge
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
By far the best book i have read on the topic. To approach life and AI from a physicists perspective really sets this book apart from say Superintelligence, 2nd Machineage and Humans need not apply. Also, the fictional aspects really makes this book a bit of a page-turner.
Radiantflux
68th book for 2017.

This book is somewhere between a 2-and-3 stars for me.

The book focuses on the long-term dangers of General Artificial Intelligence. The sort of problems that might occur with the great-grandson of HAL3000 in the distant future. There is no discussion of short-to-medium-term dangers from AI destroying millions of jobs. This book is firmly focussed on the danger of the coming age of superminds.

One of the perceived dangers mentioned multiple times is of the form "how do I keep
Paul
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2018
Ask people to describe what they imagine artificial intelligence and a number of their reference points would no doubt be rooted in film and literature. There is the brutal robot from the Terminator films, the benign but deadly HAL9000 from 2001 A Space Odyssey, and the contemplative Deep Thought that Douglas Adams gave us. AI has a long way to go, but it is becoming something that people are beginning to use on a daily basis when they talk to Siri or Alexa.

The potential benefits of AI for
Rob Adey
Jul 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was wary of this book when I saw an Elon Musk blurb on the cover. But I enjoyed Tegmark's last book so I gave it a go and... I'm sorry to say he's having dinner with Elon Musk in the first chapter, and if you have dinner with Elon Musk and don't mention some pretty straightforward and low-tech ways he might actually help humanity, and instead indulge him in some hackneyed sci-fi wank fantasies about corporations creating AI and secretly taking over the world, then, well, you're just enabling a ...more
Peter Mcloughlin
A basic book on Artificial intelligence and the future of life in the universe. This book touches on the major issues with Artificial intelligence including the prospects and dangers but it doesn't go very deep into the issue. I think Nick Bostrom goes deeper but this book makes a nice introduction to the general topic.
Bouke
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very thorough book about the last invention humanity will make: human-level artificial intelligence. AI has enormous potential ramifications and this book very clearly goes through all of them, this book explains what AI is and how it will be built, and what the benefits to risks are to humanity. It ends with a solid philosophical exploration of what intelligence and consciousness are.
Tobias Leenaert
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
a fascinating, lucid and well written exploration of AI and the possible futures for humanity, and a plea for how we all have to get involved into this converstation.
This book contains really big ideas, yet it is rarely too heavy.
Ross
Sep 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book based on a review that stated the book was about artificial intelligence (AI) and was extremely disappointed to find there was almost zero technical coverage of AI.
The author mentions several of the well known AI applications such as games, language, etc., but nothing about how these apps are built.
The book is about the future of life with AI becoming the life of the future as super intelligent computers. It is based on the saying "it will be a long time before machines are more
Steven Peck
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Don't let this 3 star review keep you from reading this book. It is well worth engaging with. Tegmark has done a great service in getting people thinking about these issues. It's just his view is too seeped in our current situations and imagines future AI as being rather mundane extensions our current concerns. Much of this is long expositions of trivialities of imagined futures. I think Tegmark needs to read more science fiction to get a better sense of the breadth of possible futures. Still, a ...more
Kair Käsper
Unless God is finally bothered enough to take the elevator down to earth and ban all further technological research, we will eventually give birth to AI. That AI will then be capable of developing a far better AI than the one we, smartish ape cousins, mashed together.

This book does a wonderful job of laying out the context and some possible scenarios of what will happen next. Unfortunately it also excels at describing the microscopic chance we have of getting it right. It is like building the
Menglong Youk
If you are confused by the title of the book, let me have a moment to explain. The author divides stages of life into three: 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0. Life 1.0, or biological revolution, consists of bacteria and single-celled organisms. Both hardware, the body, and software, the algorithms used to process our thoughts and emotions, are evolved; the hardware and software can be changed, but the process cannot happen in a single organism's lifetime—it has to gradually evolve over many generations. Life ...more
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf-science
An excellent read, thought provoking and insightful, a must read for anyone interested in the challenges that scientists face in shaping the behaviour of new technology. It often strays on the realm of speculative fiction but in doing so, it forces the reader into answering important questions.

What future do we want?

Might a superintelligent friendly AI (AI whose goals are aligned with
Azita Rassi
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audiobook, which was very good, but I need to read it as well and pause at its more difficult parts. Anyhow, this is a profound book and very much worth everyone’s time.
Isil Arican
This one was the most disappointing book I read this year. I started it with optimism: after all the writer is a very intelligent man, it is a very interesting topic, and a particular area I am interested in. Maybe I had too high expectations, but it was an utter disappointment and a waste of time for me.

I should admit, the writer has a clear language, he describes his thoughts well and book is well written. However, my issue is with content more than the style.

I wanted to read this book to
Morgan Blackledge
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book for the first half, and became less in love as I progressed through the text.

But it’s still a really good book.

Allow me to explain.

The problem wasn’t the arguments or the writing.

It was the editing.

No, not the copy editing.

Because hew cares about typos?

Not me.

Rather, it was the content editing that lagged.

On Sam Harris’s Waking Up podcast, Life 3.0 author Max Tegmark praised the editor (no need to name names) of the book as a personal friend.

This dual relationship may
Kadri
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If actual Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) were possible, what kind of future could humankind hope for or live in the fear of, if they don't take precautions and make AI mostly harmless? In Life 3.0 there's some talk about the level of AI that is already available, and in use and what could be the ultimate technology and solution to every human problem - AI that could eventually do everything a lot more efficiently.

Tegmark envisions ways how our future might look like in different
David Hall
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: facebook
Max Tegmark gives a really fair and objective perspective of the range of impact AI might have and the questions we ought to be asking ourselves. Max is able to bring keen insight from his own research as well as his many collaborations and conversations with top AI experts around the world. This book has opened my eyes and allowed me to see the breadth and depth of this debate and how we should be preparing proactively for this revolutionary change taking place.
Tips For Startups to Select the Right Artificial Intelligence Companies | Arstudioz 1 1 Nov 01, 2019 04:11AM
Arstudioz | Artificial intelligence companies |+1 956- 253-1420 1 2 Oct 15, 2019 01:55AM
PewDiePie's Liter...: Life 3.0 - Max Tegmark 1 28 Jun 20, 2018 02:05PM

• AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley, and the New World Order
  • Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress
  • Homo Deus: A History of Tomorrow
  • How to Create a Mind: The Secret of Human Thought Revealed
  • Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World – and Why Things Are Better Than You Think
  • Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams
  • Brief Answers to the Big Questions
  • L'ordine del tempo
  • The Future of Humanity: Terraforming Mars, Interstellar Travel, Immortality and Our Destiny Beyond Earth
  • Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
  • Our Final Invention: Artificial Intelligence and the End of the Human Era
  • The Master Algorithm: How the Quest for the Ultimate Learning Machine Will Remake Our World
  • 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos
  • Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst
  • Principles: Life and Work
  • Scale: The Universal Laws of Growth, Innovation, Sustainability, and the Pace of Life in Organisms, Cities, Economies, and Companies
“Your synapses store all your knowledge and skills as roughly 100 terabytes’ worth of information, while your DNA stores merely about a gigabyte, barely enough to store a single movie download.” 9 likes
“computer scientists call validation: whereas verification asks “Did I build the system right?,” validation asks “Did I build the right system?” 4 likes