Start by marking “Piper” as Want to Read:
Piper

Piper

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  1,584 Ratings  ·  262 Reviews
Long ago, in a small village in the middle of a deep, dark forest, there lived a lonely, deaf girl named Maggie. Shunned by her village because of her disability, her only comfort comes from her vivid imagination. Maggie has a gift for inventing stories and dreams of one day finding her fairy-tale love.

When Maggie meets the mysterious Piper, it seems that all her wishes ar
Published October 31st 2017 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Piper, please sign up.
Pink I would say for older/more mature middle schoolers it would be okay. There is plenty of death in this but I don't think it's worse than any PG-13…moreI would say for older/more mature middle schoolers it would be okay. There is plenty of death in this but I don't think it's worse than any PG-13 movie.(less)

Lola
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Believe it or not, I have actually never read or heard about the original story of the Pied Piper of Hamelin before, so although this is a retelling, I would not be able to point out what details were changed or added.

But the Piper did remind me a lot of Peter Pan, since the latter is also very good at controlling other people and has a darker side. Plus the Piper himself gives off this vibe of being immortal – a legend more than a human being. And if we want to compare the two in terms of styl
may ❀
this short retelling has bewitched me. i am entirely in love with the art and the characters and the slightly morbid plot.

i'm like a mix of heart eyes and crying emoji right now

it was bloody cute too.
damn.
Azbaqiyah
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, graphic-novel
Just wow! Didn't I tell ya that I'm totally sucker for retelling? I simply love this retelling! The art was impressively gorgeous.

Right after reading it, my mind keep wondering what the music sound like when the piper play. It's must be haunting~~~
Krista Regester
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Piper is a new take on an old tale. The illustrations and colors are beautiful.

My only issue : Hearing-impaired persons are not magical lip readers. Lip reading, while helpful without sound clues, is only 30-50% effective, and sometimes less! I found that many times the illustrations didn't show Piper facing towards Maggie. . . so how was she supposed to read his lips?
Colleen Fauchelle
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
I didn't know this story is based on possible facts and that it is a very old story. I liked this telling of the story.
Anabel
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me ha gustado muchísimo y tengo que confesar que he llorado durante la lectura y al terminar sobre todo. El tema que trata me toca muy de cerca, la sordera y el acoso desmedido por parte del pueblo me ha tocado muy hondo. Los personajes pese a ser tan corto me han tocado mucho y los he sentido muy cercanos. Una novela gráfica que me ha animado a leer más novelas así.
Brittney Andrews (beabookworm)
2.5

A haunting short story that features some stunning artwork. However, I'd be lying if I didn't admit that this was an overall letdown. Maybe I’ll write a mini review in a day or two—who knows? I will say this though: do not spend your hard-earned money on this graphic novel.
Serena | TheBookUnicorns
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
So many thoughts, not all of them good about this book. But to start, I'll go over the good things:

- The art was fantastic! As with every really good graphic novel, I got about ten times more from the pictures than the words and dialogue. The use of colors was super nice and more often than not it was the colors that influenced the tone of the story. It was also pretty impressive how the authors managed to convey that Maggie was deaf just through pictures at times.

Now onto the reasons my rating
Maine Caulfield
I have never read he original story.
But this was just okay for me. The art was definitely the best part. Very beautiful illustrations.
Cori Reed
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
My favourite part about this graphic novel was definitely the art. It was stunning.
Kazia
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-comics
Hmmm I need to think about this one more, there are a ton of panels where folks talking to the deaf (lipreading) protagonist don't appear to be in her sight line but she understands them anyway?
Mandy
This was a bit hard to judge. I really enjoyed parts, but I kind of just felt like I was being pushed and jostled around by rats the entire story, so I mean, I don't know quite what to do with that.

Let's just start with the artwork. Goodness gracious, it was gorgeous. When Magdalena was daydreaming was my favorite scenes in the book because they were just so beautiful. Can I just talk about her hair, too, for a second, BECAUSE I WAS OBSESSED WITH HOW IT LOOKED AND I JUST WHAT MY HAIR TO LOOK LIK
Omaira
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esta novela gráfica es preciosa, de hecho, si no fuera por un detalle, la hubiera considerado perfecta.

Maggie, la protagonista, afronta su día a día como mejor puede. Es sorda y eso hace que sea despreciada y humillada por algunos de los habitantes de Hamelín, el pueblo en el que vive, pero ella está convencida de que todo el mundo tiene un lado bondadoso y parece no guardarle rencor a nadie. Cuando una invasión de ratas comienza a causarle graves problemas al pueblo, un misterioso flautista apa
Eva
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un retelling de "El flautista de Hamelin" que te llega al corazón. Con un toque algo mas oscuro y con la misma moraleja que deja el cuento original.
Con personajes nuevos, y los personajes de siempre.
Sin duda una novela gráfica muy pero que muy recomendada.

Pronto reseña en www.magiaocultasite.wordpress.com
Heather Hughes
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Penguin Random House for allowing me to be a part of the blog tour for Jay Asher and Jessica Freeburg’s upcoming graphic novel. I received an early copy in exchange for an honest review.

I had absolutely no idea that this would be a graphic novel before I received it in the mail. I looked it up on Goodreads and saw how small the page count was. I should have known just looking at that that it was a graphic novel, but my mind wasn’t there. Either way, the premise really inter
JuD
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1book-1coin-18
Un retelling que me ha enamorado por sus ilustraciones y la forma en la que trata temas tan complicados como la discriminación a los que son distintos, la soledad y el deseo de venganza.
Rendz
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I am not really that familiar with the Pied Piper so that little explanation at the beginning of the book was really helpful. Kind of. But what really intrigued--besides the story--was the art. I mean the cover is so hauntingly beautiful, I mean, I had to read it.

The Likes:

I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS ART.
ABSOLUTELY STUNNING
UGH, THAT FULL PAGE ILLUSTRATION OF HER THOUGHTS, G O R G E O U S.
Maggie was alright. She was wonderfully brave to be living in a town who shunned her for being deaf, but I never f
Lizzy // The Bookish Unicorn
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Haunting but beautiful story!
Longhairpanda
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Jay Asher proves once again he really shouldn't write from a woman's perspective. Bad nonsense sort of plot. Don't read this kids.
Amber J.
I can count the number of graphic novels I own on one hand. But when I saw this was authored by Jay Asher (the writer of 13 Reasons Why), I pre-ordered it and waited impatiently for its arrival.

This story drew me in from the first panel where in the distance through the trees of a dark forest a sliver of bonfire can be seen rising into the night sky. But as the story continues it becomes clear that the narrator is not the person featured in these initial panels. The person seated by the fire see
Alexandra Consolver
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full Review:

4 Stars - I recommend if you are looking for a solid graphic novel. This also contains diverse characters, the main character is deaf.

This graphic novel is a re-telling of the Pied Piper, and follows Maggie, a deaf girl who is shunned by her village. She just wants to live a normal life, but comforts herself by imagining up (rather dark) stories. When her village is facing a rat infestation along with the diseases they carry, the Piper shows up just in time to save them. Maggie is ac
Melissa Jacobson
Actual Rating 4.25

This was such a dark and moody retelling of the pied piper tale and I think the graphic novel format worked so well for this story. The writing was concise yet fairy-tale-esque and the art was just lovely. Overall this was really great and I think this would be a great place to start with comics and graphic novels.
Taylor Ramirez
Maggie Chen
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
A short retelling with 90% similarity with the original story, and 10% additional romance between the Piper and a girl with similar name as mine (Maggie).
Quiet enjoyable, but doesn't bring anything new to the table.
JoJo
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Piper is a graphic novel collaboratively written by authors Jay Asher and Jessica Freeburg and illustrated by Jeff Stokely. It is a retelling of the Pied Piper and the twist is that his music does not affect one person: Maggie. Maggie is a deaf girl, hence why his music does not endanger her. Maggie’s hearing was lost due to an act of violent bullying and the injustice only stems from there as villagers continue to bully her relentlessly. Yet she continues to make the best of it by telling funny ...more
Payne Yance
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I ordered this when I found out that the story is about a deaf girl! I'm deaf myself, before you say I'm sorry, don't. It's very dumb thing to say to me. I can do everything, including driving- a shocker, I know right.
Anyway, I was excited to see what Jay Asher had come up with this one. I loved his other two works, The Thirteen Reasons Why and The Future of Us.
When I started reading, I was already disappointed of his portrayal of the deaf person. She could lip read, which is common for some d
Megan
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was all kinds of creepy and entertaining. I got a little lost here and there since I don’t really read graphic novels but it was fairly easy to follow the story line. I suggest reading it on ebook if you don’t read graphic novels much. You can zoom in on each part and just swipe to go to go to the next one.

I never really knew much about the Pied Piper but that didn’t stop me from liking the book. I’m ready to read it again already!
Ariel Hess
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it

I loved this graphic novel and recommended it to others. It is filled with a surprising twist and a bit of romance. The ending is even more interesting with yet another plot twist. If you haven’t read it, you should pick up a copy at your local bookstore. Piper was a highly anticipated read for me, which is why I love it.

I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars due to the shortness of the novel. I wished it was a bit longer with more of a storyline added.
Moon Love
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This illustrated retelling of the classic The Pied Piper is amazing! The colorful images, the story, it was all just wonderful! I feel like this is a great way to bring classics to younger readers and even create new readers. I would've absolutely loved to have this in novel form, but still think this is a great medium!
Liz
Dec 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This story is not good for a graphic novel format. The story/dialogue was confusing and jumpy. The art did not match the story/dialogue very well, especially when trying to illustrate the deaf main character. Interesting concept, it felt like Asher didn't want to spend the time writing a novel about this and thought a graphic novel would be quicker.
Jay Asher was born in Arcadia, California on September 30, 1975. He grew up in a family that encouraged all of his interests, from playing the guitar to his writing. He attended Cuesta College right after graduating from high school. It was here where he wrote his first two children’s books for a class called Children’s Literature Appreciation. At this point in his life, he had decided he wanted t ...more
More about Jay Asher

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)