Start by marking “Champions of Illusion: The Science Behind Mind-Boggling Images and Mystifying Brain Puzzles” as Want to Read:

A full-color celebration of stunning visual illusions and the science behind them

In Champions of Illusion, Stephen L. Macknik and Susana Martinez-Conde highlight the most mind-bending, mystifying images, printed in sumptuous full color, and explain the neuroscience behind them.

Macknik and Martinez-Conde are researchers who produce the Best Illusion of the Year Contest,
Published October 24th 2017 by Scientific American

To ask other readers questions about Champions of Illusion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Champions of Illusion

Start your review of Champions of Illusion: The Science Behind Mind-Boggling Images and Mystifying Brain Puzzles
Kam Yung Soh
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general
A fantastic book, containing a list of illusions that will have you wondering just what your brain is up when you look at the environment, observe A, only to learn that what you see wasn't A at all.

The illusions are divided into various categories, each illustrated with several illusions with possible explanations on what the illusion might be doing to mystify your brain. Not all the illusions are explainable; this field is very much still a work in progress.

Some illusions can be seen as static
Jordi
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! Be enchanted by lots of visual illusions not discribed in detail until now. Looking forward for the second part in 2027 featuring the next 10 years or so of the Best Illusion of the Year Contest!
Sandra Blakeslee
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Every page is a delight. Let your mind expand and be surprised!
Thomas V
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely well done!!! It is obvious that the authors and the publishers strove to offer a high-quality product and they achieved it on many fronts: on the selection of the illusions, on the effort to explain them, on the quality of the illustrations, on providing a thought-provoking introduction, on including relevant references, and on having a sensible mix of illusions from the Best Illusion of the Year Contest and some "additional illusions to help explain important ideas". Given how ...more
Stephen L.
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Thanks to Jorge-Otero-Millan for the outstanding cover art! We’re also so very grateful to our beloved Illusion contestants who succeed in pushing the limits of reality every year with their amazing new illusions!
R Alex
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating illusions, and there is some amazing stuff in here. Very entertaining. I wish most books gave me as much pleasure as this one!
Stephen Waite

As an academic radiologist whose job it is to detect and characterize abnormal findings on medical imaging, an understanding of perception is of critical importance. With their ongoing research and this text, Drs. Martinez-Conde and Macknik continue to shed light on the neural mechanisms behind what we see. The study of the neuroscience behind illusions can lead to insights on how radiologists perceive abnormalities amid a sea of normal findings and how sometimes we fail to detect important
Sally Norton
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of the authors' Best Illusion of the Year contest http://illusionoftheyear.com/
This book shares, discusses, explains some of the best of the best from this contest in a way that is both understandable for the layperson but also scientific.
It is also a fun book with excellent illustrations. Great idea for Christmas gift!
Rumeur
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads-won
This book is awesome! I’ve always loved optical illusions as a kid & well.....still a kid as heart & still love optical illusions! IMO this is also a great coffee table book. If a friend/s come over or relatives etc., they can peruse through the book while I’m perhaps finishing cooking or whatever the situation. I believe all ages can have fun with a book like this!
The authors write a small forward & table of contents, but mainly, on left side of book,they describe what the optical
Mike Elphick
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I've always wanted to learn the secrets behind "magic" illusions. As an engineer, I could usually figure out how the various gadgets and environments were constructed. For example, I knew that a bird cage was designed to collapse into a flat package that could be slipped into a pocket in a magician's cloak to make it "vanish". But the tricks I was unable to unravel were the ones based on optical illusions and other neuroscience. This book promised to deliver those ...more
Nuff
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I checked this book out for reference on some visual explorations I was doing, and was pleasantly surprised to find a book that delves into the phenomena that drive optical illusions, as well as the art applying these principles, and the artists creating them.

There is plenty of narrative here, as well as theory and imagery, which makes the book a lot more compelling as a straight read. Of course, it's still a great reference book as well.
Terri
May 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Some fascinating optical illusions...some of them I never did understand.
Don  Kent
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting but not fascinating.
Jackie
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous compilation of illusions with detailed explanations. This book is well worth it!
Susana
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Just finished my own copy! Our publisher, Scientific American and Farrar, Straus and Giroux's joint imprint, did a beautiful job of printing all the gorgeous illusions in full color and making them pop.
Garrett
TC
Feb 24, 2018
Thomas
Dec 29, 2018

• Cleaning the Gold (Jack Reacher, #23.6; Will Trent, #8.5)
  • Infinity: 40 Haiku inspired by Zen practice
  • Weight Watchers Points Great Tasting Snacks Recipes (Ultimate Weight Watchers Points Recipes Series)
  • The Silence of Mind: 40 Haikus inspired by Zen practice
  • Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes
  • An Unexpected Kiss (Treasured Dreams, #2)
  • The Lady on the Road: An Urban Legend Short Story
  • AFTER MOON DELIGHT
  • Hekití and the Moon: A Taíno Legend
  • Instant Pot Fast & Easy: 100 Simple and Delicious Recipes for Your Instant Pot
  • Immortal Born (Argeneau #30)
  • The Truth About Magic
  • Father McMahon's Confession: A Short Story
  • The Woman By The River
  • Haikus for Jews: For You, a Little Wisdom
  • An Unwelcome Guest (Penny Green Series Book 7)
  • Air Fryer Cookbook: 70 New and Best Air Fryer Recipes for Fast and Healthy Meals, Bonus 20 Air Fryer Keto and Vegetarian Recipes (home air fryer, air fryer cookbook for beginners, air fryer cooker)
  • Self Defense Made Simple