Start by marking “Winterscroft” as Want to Read:
Winterscroft

Winterscroft

Paperback
Published February 24th 2017 by Bloodhound Books

To ask other readers questions about Winterscroft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winterscroft

sue
Having never read any of this authors books before and having an opportunity to do so now, I was eager to start this.

The author starts the story off with quite a heart rendering punch. An accident.
This affects this Christian family enormously as you can imagine. With a fatality of the daughter Lavender.
Read that name and I dare you to not get a whiff of the heady scent of Lavender in your subconscious mind. I know I did.

Things seem to be plodding on until (not going to name names as don't want
Amy
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

One of my reading goals for 2017 was to branch outside of my go to genres and try something new, so when the lovely Helen Claire from Bloodhound Books was looking for people to review Waller’s latest book and I saw it had supernatural elements, I was convinced. I’m so glad that I’ve been experimenting, I loved this book!

When Winterscroft begins, it’s 1991 and a young woman named Lavender is killed in a car accident with her grandparents. Her
Joanne Robertson
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved Anita’s last book 34 Days so I was looking forward to her new book. I went into it rather blind so was a little bit apprehensive when I realised that it was more of a supernatural suspense than a psychological suspense. I’m not a huge fan of that genre so it was a pleasant surprise to actually get into Winterscroft very quickly and become involved in the death and subsequent “reappearance” of the beautiful 18 year old Lavender.

The start of this spooky tale actually read like one of those
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Winterscroft is very much a supernatural/suspense story.

Nearly six years after Lavenders death, disturbing and horrible things start to happen to the family and friends of those who live in Winterscroft. Winterscroft has very much been a loving family home up until Matt announces his upcoming wedding which seems to waken Lavender who is not happy, at all!

You could even to a certain extent take this for a horror novel as I could just imagine this as a film and it would be a very disturbing one at
Misfits farm
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enter, hang on, and enjoy. The story centres around a family made up of 3 sisters, their parents and the children of one of them. Lavender tragically died 5 years before when at the wheel her grandfather has a heart attack and all 3 of them in the car were killed. Life goes on and takes new twists. Especially when her previous fiance decides to get married. Springs of a certain plant keep appearing along with a lingering smell. Could Lavender really be back and is a strong christian community st ...more
Jane James
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A ghostly presence with revenge on its mind – exactly my cup of tea
This book leapt to the top of my TBR pile simply because I fell in love with the cover; and because I love a good ghost story. This was a very easy read and I was able to instantly pick up the story whenever I had to dip in and out of its pages (due to time restraints – I never get the luxury of reading a book all in one go). I’ve never read any of this author’s work before and I sensed that she had invested a lot of her personal
Terry  (TBC)
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and found the supernatural elements spooky & interesting.
A younger sister died in a car accident and the family obviously devastated have to move on & live their lives. Close friends of the family are affected by this loss & by the consequences as the story unfolds.
Rebecca If Only I Could Read Faster
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour
Having read and enjoyed the author’s previous book, 34 days, I was keen to read this one. I started it without knowing anything about the book, I hadn’t read the blurb, which is something that is often the case when I read books by authors that I’ve read before. I quite like it that way, I have no expectations and can just enjoy the journey that the book will take me on.

I’m especially pleased that I hadn’t read the blurb for Winterscroft because if I had, I’m not sure that I would have read the
Kath Middleton
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a really gripping story, whether or not you believe in ghosts. Lavender, the younger of three sisters, died with her grandparents in a road accident when she was nineteen. Five years later, Matt, who was about to become her fiancé, is preparing to marry, and Rose, Lavender’s sister, offers the gardens of her home, Winterscroft, for the wedding reception. Soon things begin to go wrong. Sprigs, and the scent, of lavender presage inexplicable events in the lives of the two families. Lavende ...more
Craig Gillan
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not usually a fan of supernatural books but this one was absolutely brilliant. Had me hooked from start to finish
Susan Hampson
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-reads
Oh my if you have any sort of bladder control issues get prepared because this novel won't help your situation. I knew it was a super natural book and it leads into it as what I can only describe as a sort of fairy story way. No really, there is a Once upon a time followed by the birth of three sisters, all given beautiful names to match the beautiful babies they were. Rose and Violet were brown haired, brown eyed  beauties  but some 14 years after the birth of the first baby, Lavender was born, ...more
M.A. Comley
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first time I've read anything by Anita Waller but it definitely won't be my last.

This is book has all the elements needed to make it creepy, read-through-your-fingers-at-times kind of read. There is spooky suspense on every page.

It begins in 1991 when a young woman and her grandparents are sadly killed in a car accident and the story picks up six years later when a special event is announced in the family, that's when the spookiness begins to creep in. It would appear that the little
Dawn
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this down. It's a ghost story, a haunting, but for some reason, I really enjoyed it. The writing was well done and it held my attention to the end. I liked how the story got right into it, not 5 chapters leading up to the haunting. Will continue to check out other books by this author in the future.
Netta Newbound
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Spooked myself out reading this alone in the dead of night. This is a great read and would highly recommend it if you're into ghost stories. It grabbed me from the first page and the ending totally shocked me. Very well done Anita.
PrettyFlamingo
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started this book on Halloween and have just finished it - a day and a half later. Yes, I couldn't put it down. This is a modern haunting, set in the summer of 1997 happening to normal people doing normal things in a normal close-knit village. The ordinariness of the setting makes the events that unfold all the more terrifying. The activity takes place around the time of Princess Diana's death and there are clear parallels between her and Lavender.

Lavender was just 18 when she was killed in a
Robin Lee
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Lavender: is a flowering species native to the “Old World”, mainly Europe. It gives off a very, heavy sweet scent.

Anita Waller usually writes very disturbing crime/psychological thrillers. This is her first foray into a different genre. A very terrifying, supernatural/paranormal mystery which I think she handled quite well. I loved the vivid details given about the picturesque Winterscroft itself. It almost like a plantation that has extra cottages, warm inviting atmosphere, and well-tended rose
Val
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anita's books get better and better.I loved this captivating and enthralling read as it was a different format/storyline to anything I'd read before. It was based in /around Castleton, Derbyshire, my favourite holiday destination. The characters were credible and lovable. It stirred emotions +++. Looking forward to a sequel. If you enjoy a good read , go for this lip biting tale.
Absolutely brilliant!
Jennifer Black
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good story by a great author.

I doubt real people give a paragraph answer, rehashing what's already known, again, to a simple question of a want of beverage or not. Which caused this story to drag in some spots. Still good intense story, made me cry and laugh so I enjoyed it overall.
Dawn
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. The first Anita Waller that underwhelmed me. It dragged a bit much. Black folks would have just packed up and left. So it seemed unrealistic and I’m not sure how any of this went down as they drank so much damn tea and coffee. Amazing they could hold conversations.
Joy Burton
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spookily different

Having read and enjoyed 34 days I thought I'd give this a try. I wasn't disappointed. I am intrigued with the paranormal and as Anita Waller's books are easy to read this was one I really couldn't put down
Lisa-Jaine
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
New to this author, I started this book with no expectations. A supernatural suspense, which certainly gave me the chills. I worried about so many characters appearing at once but the story is so well crafted it doesn't take long to identify them.
Janina s. Asselin
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good scary read

Nice build up. Scary stuff. Some interesting twists and turns. What is annoying is the "requirement" of a certain number of words for a review. We should be able to say what we want.
Carol Young
Great book

I loved the suspense of the book but was disappointed by the ending. I assume Lavender was finally at peace because she got her own way. Don't want to say more because I don't want to spoil the ending.
Susan Clark
Uncomfortable

The author does a great job of building to the shocking ending. However, i am uncomfortable with the subject matter and did not expect the book to be as cloying as too much lavender. I like good mysteries that make me giggle. Not a single giggle in this ine
Julie Rein
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling what a page turner

Great paranormal story vivid characters twisting turning plot and an unbelievable ending. Highly recommend reading all her books I've read them all
Nicola
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good read and one I did enjoy. Took a while to read because life got in the way but when I had the time I sat and read this book.
Sooz (P.Turners Book Blog)
** Review to come as part of Blog Tour on 07/03 **
Connie Miller cline
Great book

Very well written! I loved all the people in the story! (Except Lavendar's spirit). I can't believe how much tea and coffee everyone drank!
Nicola
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first read from this author and whilst I enjoyed it, I much prefer her others. I’d still recommend it if your a paranormal fan.
Alexina Golding
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
When Lavender dies in a horrific car crash, her family are devastated. The book picks up the story a few years later when Matt, is preparing to get married. He has as you can read from the blurb, stayed close to the family and they help him with the arrangements of his Wedding Reception.
This is when it sparks the events.  It was good to have the preview to this, and fast forward to Matt’s dilemma I really felt it brought the story forward quickly, and with such a dramatic start, it made me aware
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
I live in Sheffield, UK. I am retired and have recently fulfilled my lifelong ambition of becoming a published author with Bloodhound Books.
I am married (almost 50 years to Dave) with three children and seven grandchildren.
I am a patchwork and quilting tutor as well as a writer.
My first book was Beautiful and my second, a sequel to Beautiful, is called Angel.