Start by marking “Fear the Darkness (Dark-Hunterverse #11.5)” as Want to Read:
Fear the Darkness (Dark-Hunterverse #11.5)

Fear the Darkness

(Hunter Legends Series #13.5)

This is a special thank you to readers for all the great years. It’s a small story about Nick’s homecoming to New Orleans after his mother’s death and after Katrina.

I knew from the beginning what was going to happen to Nick. I wanted the reader to see the birth of a Dark-Hunter, only to have it with a twist. And even though I knew what was going to happen, I still cried wh
Published January 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Fear the Darkness, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Sophia Triad
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nick Gaultier

A teeny tiny story (less than 20 pages) about Nick's return to New Orleans.
Nick is
-heartbroken after his mother' s death
-sad for the destructions after hurricane Katrina
-angry with Acheron because he didn't help him when he needed him the most
-manipulated by Satara snd Stryker
-ready to become a traitor
Exina
It’s a short story about Nick’s homecoming to New Orleans after his mother’s death and after Katrina.
It's perfect, the only problem is that it's too short.

I'm afraid Nick's journey won't be easy...
Gavin
Jul 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
This is just a tiny novella that tells of Nick's return to his New Orleans home for the first time since the death of his mother and the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.

Nick still holds a lot of hatred and anger for Acheron, who he blames for the death of his mother, but at least he was not as whiny and annoying in this as he was when he popped up in Dark Side of the Moon.

That said, both Stryker and Satara are pulling Nick's strings and he is rapidly heading on the slippery path to becoming a fu
Lisa Elliott
Mar 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Delve into Nick Gautier (Squire gone Dark-Hunter) head a little bit. OK OK I get it, Nick loved his mother but geez, get over it already! I get really tired of all the characters taking it out on Ash. Nick was the one who got himself in trouble not Ash. And Ash didn't make Nick sleep with Simi nor did he kill Nick's Mom.
I can already see the writing on the wall - Nick the traitor is gonna do something really bad and stupid and Ash is going to have to hurt him... to be continued (I'm sure!)
Kevin
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
OK for all of you people dissing Nick and saying he should get over the death of his mom, you should really read the entire series. Acheron is one of the most powerful gods alive, and has more control over fate than the fates themselves. If he wanted to he could destroy the entire greek pantheon, including demigods and lesser gods. So when he told Nick to kill himself and save him the time, he cursed him. There would be no way for Nick to get out of the situation after that. Also if you read The ...more
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
Nicks being a butt!!!!!!!
Kaycee ❤️

Oh myyyy! Nick Gautier. I love, love, loved Nick Gautier. I liked him from the moment I saw him in Kyrian's book (Night Pleasures). And it broke my heart what happened to him. It saddened me to see him consumed by so much hatred and bitterness. I miss the goofy, fun and loving Nick. I hope Ms. Kenyon bring him back to his old self soon. This book made me excited to read more about Nick's journey and made me realized how much I missed this series.
Miss Kim
Sep 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dark Hunter lovers
This short story gives us an update on Nick Gaultier. He is still wicked angry about the death of his mother, and also what he perceived as a betrayal by his best friend, Ash. I understand his anger, but I also think he needs a kick in the pants!
Patricia
First Thoughts:

I know, I know. How can I give this little thing 3 stars when I gave all the other books just as much. Especially when I already told everyone that Nick's shit (while Ash is the Shit).

Well, he still annoys the hell outta me, but in this book we see another part of him. Not only the "Oh, the whole world's crap!"-part, but the "I am crap, too"-part. The part where he doesn't blame Ash the whole time, but himself, too. I don't say it's healthy, because, hell, it isn't. But it made me
Mojca
Nick Gautier is back in New Orleans. He's bitter, angry, vengeful... and in complete denial.

Nick was one of my favorite characters, though I sometimes wished someone (or something) would bitch-slap the boy, already.

Now that he's immortal, apparently with powers similar to those of Ash, and with an express link to Kalosis and Stryker, I wish someone would kick his idiotic Cajun ass to Katoteros and back.

I understand he's bitter because of his mother's death, I understand his anger, but his convic
Laura the Highland Hussy
It's a short story and it is such a teaser. There's no ending, just a set-up for the next Dark-Hunter novel...kind of an "in case you were wondering what Nick was up to in between books." :) it's a good teaser, though
Ivy
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

Good to see Nick again. Hope he will see that Satara and the others are manipulating him. Still wonder when they, the Dark-hunters will find out he has powers.
Renee Howell
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tash
I don't know if it was such a good idea to pick up these novellas. I mean, after reading this short story I can tell that I'm missing ALOT. Nick has come along way from being a simple squire, apparently. But I'm kinda annoyed because this doesn't really tell you anything....or maybe it does. I'll have to read the main books to get the whole picture. Although this was a super short read for me, it was enough to draw some serious emotions like, confusion, frustration & pity. Now, I really gott ...more
Megan
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Goodness me, thought Nick was coming back there for a second but he's still too angry and hateful. I hope he does the right thing in the end....
Ronda  Tutt
May 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Julianna
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the Dark-Hunter Series
Reviewed for THC Reviews
Fear the Darkness is a short story that is about the length of a chapter set in the Dark-Hunter world. It follows Nick Gautier as he returns to New Orleans for the first time after being turned into a Dark-Hunter. This story added some depth and dimension to Nick's grief not only over his mother's death but also the destruction of his beloved home town following Hurricane Katrina. I liked that Nick was having some small measure of doubt about his anger toward Acheron for
Silver
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Alison
Wow, this was really too short for a review, less of a short story and more of a snippet.

Nick Gaultier comes back to New Orleans to see the devestation. He is approached by forces for good and evil (for want of a better description) and each tries to sway him.

Which one will he pick?

I have issues with Nick's hatred of Ash - I just don't get it, it doesn't 'feel' genuine for a man to turn against his best friend and hate him so much and refuse to listen/believe in anything good about him.
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
A short story told mostly from Nick's POV with a bit at the end from that bitch Satara. I do not like that woman.

The road Nick is walking scares me. I hate that he's consumed by so much grief, hatred and bitterness. I really hope he doesn't seriously consider doing what Satara has asked him to do. Kyrian, Amanda, Ash and just about everyone else would never forgive him for it. I'm really hoping he doesn't do it. Still, I'm sure things are going to get a whole lot worse for Nick before they have
PepperP0t
Nick comes back to an entirely different New Orleans. He still holds Ash responsible for his mother's death and the fate of the city. This reader's opinion is that since Nick's made more than a few changes it's doubtful he'll ever be the lovable scamp from the beginning of the series. All I know is Nick can only be mad at Nick. (Everything he did, he did of his own free will.)

While this teaser doesn't have much more than a chapter or two it does give great insight into Nick Gautier as he becomes
Deidre
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a tease this is!!! Now I feel like going back and reading this series again....I have never had the chance to read them all in order and the idea now is sounding pretty good so I can fit this story in where it belongs in the storyline.

You can read this story for free here > http://hbpub.vo.llnwd.net/o16/FearThe...
Sheri
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, buddy-reads
This is a super short story to give us some insight on Nick, what he is thinking and feeling. I love Nick and can't wait to have some more of him. I can't imagine where Kenyon is going to take his story, but it will be an interesting journey for sure.
N.L. Riviezzo
My biggest issue with this short story is that it is just too short and ends very abruptly.
Athena
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Oh Nick... I'm scared for you.
Cindyg
Oct 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love Nick...Please Nick come home.
Brie
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Poor Nick.

That is all.
Chasidy
Aug 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: sherrilyn-kenyon
In my opinion, not long enough. I wanted to read more about Nick .
Sammy
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I HATE Tory.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Lost Challenges: Book 11.5 Fear the Darkness 1 7 Jun 22, 2013 02:00PM
Insomnia Book Club: Free Short Story From Sherrilyn Kenyon 3 18 Feb 17, 2012 09:08PM

• Midnight Pleasures (Wild Wulfs of London #0.5; Dream-Hunter #0.5)
  • Tapestry (de Piaget, #8.5; de Piaget/MacLeod, #8.5; Were-Hunter, #0.5; Entire Dark-Hunterverse, #1.5; Dark-Hunterverse, #2; Highlander, #8)
  • Knight of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, #2)
  • NOT A BOOK
  • Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • Heart of Darkness (Includes: Lords of the Underworld #4.5)
  • Overkill: Snippets of Demonica Life (Demonica #5.7)
  • Atlantis Betrayed (Warriors of Poseidon, #6)
  • Dark Hunger
Official Black Hat Society site
Official Witch of Endor site
Official Lords of Avalon site
Official Facebook site

New York Times and international bestselling author Sherrilyn Kenyon is a regular at the #1 spot. With legions of fans known as Meny

Hunter Legends Series (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Fantasy Lover (Hunter Legends Series #1)
  • Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1)
  • Night Embrace (Dark-Hunter, #2)
  • Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter #3)
  • Kiss of the Night (Dark-Hunter, #4)
  • Sword of Darkness  (Lords of Avalon Graphic Novels #1)
  • Knight of Darkness (Lords of Avalon Graphic Novel, #2)
  • Night Play (Dark-Hunter #5, Were-Hunter #1)
  • Seize the Night (Dark-Hunter, #6)
  • Sins of the Night (Dark-Hunter #7)