Start by marking “Katamari Damacy (Boss Fight Books, #17)” as Want to Read:
Katamari Damacy (Boss Fight Books, #17)

Katamari Damacy

(Boss Fight Books #17)

The universe falls into chaos. The moon and the stars vanish from the night sky. The son of a fickle deity must restore balance to the cosmos… by pushing a sticky ball around and picking up every toothpick, tree, and skyscraper in its path. A plotline this wild could only describe “nah… nah nah nah nah nah nah nah” Katamari Damacy, the irresistible little cult game turned ...more
Published 2018 by Boss Fight Books (first published June 20th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Katamari Damacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katamari Damacy

Start your review of Katamari Damacy (Boss Fight Books, #17)
Eric Mesa
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: crowd-funded
I think I just had unreasonable expectations for this book. It's one of my favorite games. The book was very late to be delivered which also made me long for it even more. While I learned some neat stuff in it, it didn't quite have what I'd come to love from a lot of the other Boss Fight Books, like Chrono Trigger. Many of the other books were deeply personal, talking about how the games brought them closer to their siblings or helped them deal with being trans or blew them away. This one felt l ...more
Agustín Fest
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
La fabulosa historia de un juego extraño que nunca he tocado. Un compendio de ideas que me dio suficiente para anotarme el juego, explorarlo un día y ver qué emociones provoca. Me gusto mucho este libro, es un buen ensayo y una excelente investigación sobre Katamari.
Dima Vesnin
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-short
пять звёзд, но только если вам уже интересно всё, что связано с Katamari Damacy
Caleb Ross
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(click the image below to watch the video review)

Katamari Damacy Boss Fight Books book review

I’m reviewing all of the Boss Fight Books releases, so subscribe to my YouTube channel to be sure you don’t miss future reviews.

Boss Fight Books come in two flavors with degrees of overlap between them. The biography style and the memoir style. The biography styling being less personal and more objective.

This book is a straightforward telling of Katamari Damacy's creation and lineage, and in being so it falls neatly into the biography
Jon Harrison
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book chronicles the "pre-birth" of one of my favorite games - Katamari Damacy. A fun read about a gem of a game that almost did not happen, made by a non-game designer, that never should have made it outside of Japan. Against all odds, we have Katamari, it's music, humor, and quirky fun on almost every platform, in one shape or another.

Author L.E. Hall digs deep with exclusive interviews with the genuine genius behind the game, Keita Takahashi, as well as notable industry insights. Do not
Jesse Lehrer
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This had some pretty solid and interesting quotes from Katamari creator about art, the importance of fun, the offering an alternative to traditionally violent/grueling/gun games of the time. The success of Katamari Damacy and the creator's vision shows the importance of respecting art as art and not trying to homogenize everything. Katamari is fairly unique in its story - it's not often a new IP in games that is weird and total opposite from what everyone is doing is actually supported by the co ...more
Chris Mize
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read giving insight into design and history around one of my favorite games. Laura E Hall does a great job compiling many of Keita Takahashi’s interviews (and does some new ones) about how and why he designed Katamari the way he did. I particularly appreciated the discussion around Japanese cultural context that non-Japanese players like myself may miss or not understand, like how the King of All Cosmos both fits with and juxtaposes gender and sexuality tropes in Japanese media. A ...more
Avedon Arcadio
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
So far from the books I’ve read in this series, this release is the most direct documentary text on the creation of a game. It’s less about the author and their experiences with the game as many of the past have been and more about referencing interviews, curating historic facts and producing a very thorough examination of the games creation to its lasting impact in culture.
The best I could ask for for one of my all time favorite games.
Jamie Perez
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book brings back the joys of the first night I spent playing this in my would-be little brother’s apartment late at night in NYC with a 6-pack of Kolsch. Or introducing the game to countless friends who would buy a PS2 for sole purpose of this game. And so many other memories. Endless joy.
Caro
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wish this book was longer!!!
What I mean with this is that it feels like it brushes the surface of what Katamari Damacy is about, and i wish there was more to read on the subject matter. Good bibliography I’ve saved for later too. Would love to delve further into the themes touched in this book.
RavenWorks
On the short side, but some great context on the creation of the game, and the environment it was released in.
C.E. Murray
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I was kind of hoping for more. "Katamari Damacy might not have happened, but it did, please play it".
Bob Makin
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant insight, history, making of and afterwards.
Mut
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very inspiring book about a very inspiring game.
Meg
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
An enjoyable read about the creation of Katamari Damacy. It’s well-researched and well paced, with a nice blend of history and appreciation for this wonderfully strange game.
Chris Neumann
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
A great read about a unique game's development.
A Thompson
Mar 22, 2020 rated it liked it
I wish it had more information on the music.
Bridget
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: truetrue
Na nananana katamari damacy.
I wish this book had been longer and talked more about the levels of game play but I found it interesting and learned a few things.
Adrian Hon
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nimble, delightful backstory to a nimble, delightful game.
Andrea
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Can we maintain a sense of playfulness, caring, and punk rock dedication to our visions?”
Sam Levatich
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well paced book smartly centered around interviews with the creator and the story of this wacky game getting made in the first place, without unnecessary fluff
Alex LaMotte
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
A fascinating behind-the-ball look at the man behind it all: Keiko Takahashi. Also known as the sculptor, the mastermind of Katamari Damacy gets an introspective look at his philosophies behind the quirky surreal delight that is Katamari Damacy.
Rob Brammeld
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rolling up all the details of Katamari development

Katamari Damacy was very different to other games of its time the endless racers and shooters broken up by something fresh and original. This book goes through a wealth of sources to tell its story of development and gives an insight into the creators thoughts. Games don’t need guns when you have a sticky ball.
Dylan Posa
Mar 07, 2019
corkhead
Mar 25, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Blood, Sweat, and Pixels: The Triumphant, Turbulent Stories Behind How Video Games Are Made
  • Killing Gravity (The Voidwitch Saga, #1)
  • The Will and the Wilds
  • Medallion Status: True Stories from Secret Rooms
  • Axiom's End (Noumena, #1)
  • Shadow & Claw (The Book of the New Sun #1-2)
  • The Incal
  • Alfons Mucha, 1860-1939: Master of Art Nouveau
  • God: A Human History
  • Springfield Confidential: Jokes, Secrets, and Outright Lies from a Lifetime Writing for The Simpsons
  • The Tiger's Daughter (Their Bright Ascendency, #1)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: THE ORIGIN, Volume 3: Ramba Ral
  • Nancy: A Comic Collection
  • Toujours Provence
  • Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah
  • Are You Listening?
  • On a Sunbeam
  • Finite and Infinite Games: A Vision of Life as Play and Possibility

Boss Fight Books (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • EarthBound (Boss Fight Books, #1)
  • Chrono Trigger (Boss Fight Books, #2)
  • ZZT (Boss Fight Books, #3)
  • Galaga (Boss Fight Books, #4)
  • Jagged Alliance 2 (Boss Fight Books, #5)
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (Boss Fight Books, #6)
  • Bible Adventures (Boss Fight Books, #7)
  • Baldur's Gate II (Boss Fight Books, #8)
  • Metal Gear Solid (Boss Fight Books, #9)
  • Shadow of the Colossus (Boss Fight Books, #10)

News & Interviews