Start by marking “Kingdom Hearts II (Boss Fight Books, #16)” as Want to Read:
Kingdom Hearts II (Boss Fight Books, #16)

Kingdom Hearts II

(Boss Fight Books #16)

Light and darkness. Heroes and villains. Final Fantasy epics and... Donald Duck? The Kingdom Hearts series has always walked a fine line between masterfully executed crossover and nonsensical fan mashup, but Square Enix and Disney's intercompany franchise remains beloved throughout numerous sequels, prequels, and remixes. Despite the outlandish premise and convoluted lore, ...more
Published June 27th 2017 by Boss Fight Books

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom Hearts II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kingdom Hearts II

Start your review of Kingdom Hearts II (Boss Fight Books, #16)
Kalin
Nov 14, 2017 marked it as part-read
Shelves: games
A quote that struck a chord with me and my on(-and-off)going quandaries:

Giving up too much of yourself for others can be just as detrimental as being utterly selfish. Fatigue feeds into resentment, and resentment into negativity so deep it’s difficult to settle your state of mind.
Benjamin Kass
I really like Boss Fight Books, and this was a nice entry but it never seemed to rise above simply being a collection of personal essays. KH2 was formative for me artistically, and I liked what the author had to say, good and bad, about the game. I expected/had hoped for a deeper excavation and exploration though. Without that, it never justified needed to be a book. Not that all books need to argue their existence. It's just that when you offer criticism as a book, your audience is going to (an ...more
Erika Schoeps
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
The cover for Kingdom Hearts II is lovely. The cover for every book in the Boss Fight books series is lovely. Kingdom Hearts II isolated this repeated friendship symbol (sea-salt ice cream, in popsicle form presumably because soft ice cream would be real tricky to render) for important characters and isolates it in crisp white. It's a basic fact that popsicles are just aesthetically pleasing, and every popsicle cover i've EVER seen has looked as good, if not even better, than Corriea's cover ...more
Travis Riddle
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
It seems like a book written for those already familiar with the franchise, but it doesn't offer a particularly deep or insightful analysis of the games' stories, themes, or design. Mainly just surface-level explanations about the storyline that most fans would already know, offering no real reason to read it.
Caleb Ross
(click the image below to watch the video review)

Kingdom Hearts 2 Boss Fight Books book review

I’m reviewing all of the Boss Fight Books releases, so subscribe to my YouTube channel to be sure you don’t miss future reviews.
I'll say this right away because I need to get it out: Kingdom Hearts 2 is an unfortunate blemish in the Boss Fight Books catalog.

Where other books blend personal anecdotes, with explorations of the subject game's development, history, legacy, and plot to create a compelling narrative full of personality and i
Eric Mesa
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
As with the best books in this series, Ms. Corriea has a deep passion for the game she's writing about and it had a profound impact in her life. Over a number of chapters, she makes a great case for why this series is capable of deeper reflection than it would seem for a game with Donald, Goofy, and Cloud McCrono-face the protagonist (Sora). She does a great job blending the history of the series as well as pulling in information from later games to show the deep universe the creator put togethe ...more
Agustín Fest
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Un libro que se enfoca en narrativas personales, especulaciones y teorías sobre lo que significa Kingdom Hearts II. Hace algunas rápidas disertaciones sobre los símbolos, la estructura y los personajes (arquetipos o estereotipos). Nada muy profundo o elaborado; pienso que muchas de sus conclusiones son igual de locas o elaboradas que la misma historia principal.

Hasta entonces había encontrado algo más interesante en los libros de esta editorial, como el proceso de creación, el trabajo en equipo
Anthony Chan
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A must have for any Kingdom Hearts fan!! If you don't have this and you're a fan of the game, shiiiiet I don't know what you're doing.
Julie
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I expected much more from this book. I was looking forward to reading something from the “Boss Fight” series, as I’ve only heard good things. With Kingdom Hearts being one of my favorite games, I was pumped!

But unfortunately all the writer did was sum up the plot for Kingdom Hearts 2. The analysis seemed like I was reading an excessively long college paper, and it covered concepts that almost any fan could realize on their own.

Maybe I’ll try others in the series and have more success.
David Macpherson
Jul 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
I have read six or seven of the boss fight books and this is the nadir. It has no balance and is just a written run through of the game. Alternates between boring and impenetrable. This is only for those who love the game, not for anyone interested in the intersection between game and culture.
Alain Casseus
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Alexa Ray Corriea, the author of the 16th Boss Fight Books entry, has long worked in this industry, most notably as an editor at Gamespot, and currently at FANDOM. This entry in the series is focused on Kingdom Hearts II, part of one of the most unlikely and confusing crossover story in gaming. As the author so points out, it's rather hard to have imagined that a fusion of Disney and Square-Enix could actually result in anything good. And yet, they pulled it off expertly, both in terms of gamepl ...more
Quiet
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
So this book took me about 8 months to read. It’s small, only 256 pages on my small iPhone, so it’s not a good thing it took me forever to actually get “into it” on about the 100th page, but then again I’m also not a kingdom hearts fan.

Here’s why I’ll give it 4 stars:
This is a good book if you like the Kingsom Hearts series despite not knowing what the hell is happening. Author Alexa Ray does an outstanding job writing a succinct summary and providing brief, somewhat limited but also enjoyable t
Aaron
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Corriea's book is mostly well-written and very engaging, making me want to catch up on and finally finish the Kingdom Hearts series. My only major complaint is the consistency in focus between chapters. I know that Boss Fight Books allows each author to play around with genres, balancing personal and critical material in each book, but this text in particular wavers between chapters. Some chapters make personal connections between Corriea's life and the game (the approach I was expecting and wan ...more
Avedon Arcadio
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Definitely one of the better books written in the anthology series. While others in the series tend to write a lot about their own personal history interwoven with their particular games dogma, Alexa briefly writes about her experiences with the Kingdom Heart series while making more of a connection to mankind’s morality and nature. The bulk of the book really rests in explaining the core belief of the story and the deep relationships fostered within.
Kingdom Hearts is a game series I have alway
Huascar
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read!

If you’re a fan of the game, or the series of Kingdom Hearts, this is worth the read. It’s an opinionated piece, like an analysis of the game, mechanics, and plot similar to what you’d find on a YouTube video doc.

While I didn’t agree with all of the points the author made, it did open my eyes to another perspective on such a beloved game. It was interesting to see how similar our experiences were, and how we took away different things (some times the same thing).

The chapters
Hannah
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Utterly love this game series, being my favourite since I was small. So to be given this book was just as brilliant as actually playing the game. A really well written inisight and overview into particular plot points, devices and themes surrounding the games, including excerpts from interviews with Tetsuya Nomura, and justified critique of some of the more questionable design and story decisions. Perfectly balanced and a joy to read. Finished in less than a day!
Tyler Spragg
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first experience with the Boss Fight Books series. Despite the title, Kingdom Hearts II, this volume provides a recap of the previous and future installments of the Kingdom Hearts series as well. Alexa Ray Corriea offers insight into the complexities of the series, while acknowledging and pardoning some of the flaws along the way.
Juanita Luera
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best book on the series. Not only does it thoroughly explain the vagueness the game gives the players but it goes into so much detail about the friendships, relationships, characters and the series itself.
Meredith Farmer
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

Insightful, well researched and personal, an easy recommendation to any Kingdom Hearts fan. Purchased KH 1.5 + 2.5 remix earlier because this book gave me an intense need to replay the game.
Owen Palmer
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Could have finished in one sitting if I had the time. I like hearing this personal take on the series. Knowing her love of RPGs I hope Alexa writes more of these.
Arturo Bory
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nick Rodriguez
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fan love letter

To write about KH2 is a huge tazk, as a huge part of the game involves a character you could care less about. Don't let the subject matter fool you, this book also covers the first 4 console/hand held games in the series.
It's an okay read, and you can tell the author does like the game. But I was not as invested as I hoped. I enjoyed KH but like some things you can't go back and the memories are better than what it is.
Scott
Dec 29, 2017
Sofia
Nov 21, 2017
kris
rated it did not like it
Jul 12, 2017

• Powers of Darkness: The Lost Version of Dracula
  • From Ritual to Romance
  • The Blazing World
  • Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
  • Dead Man's Walk (Lonesome Dove, #3)
  • Flame and Crimson: A History of Sword-and-Sorcery
  • Tarzan, Conqueror of Mars (The Wild Adventures of Edgar Rice Burroughs Book 9)
  • Nintendo Magic: Winning the Videogame Wars
  • The Complete Poetry and Translations Volume 1: The Abyss Triumphant
  • Bran Mak Morn: The Last King
  • The Book of Enoch: Translated from the Ethiopic, with Introduction and Notes
  • Clásicos DC: Crónicas de Atlantis

Boss Fight Books (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • EarthBound (Boss Fight Books, #1)
  • Chrono Trigger (Boss Fight Books, #2)
  • ZZT (Boss Fight Books, #3)
  • Galaga (Boss Fight Books, #4)
  • Jagged Alliance 2 (Boss Fight Books, #5)
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (Boss Fight Books, #6)
  • Bible Adventures (Boss Fight Books, #7)
  • Baldur's Gate II (Boss Fight Books, #8)
  • Metal Gear Solid (Boss Fight Books, #9)
  • Shadow of the Colossus (Boss Fight Books, #10)