Start by marking “A Spy's Journey: A CIA Memoir” as Want to Read:
A Spy's Journey: A CIA Memoir

A Spy's Journey: A CIA Memoir

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  187 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
For thirty-five years, Floyd Paseman served in the Operations Directorate of the Central Intelligence Agency. From spy in the field to the top ranks of the Company's career agents, he experienced it all as well as seven different presidential administrations. While Paseman's account of his long service has enough real-life derring-do to keep the reader engaged, of even gre
Published January 28th 2005 by Zenith Press

To ask other readers questions about A Spy's Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Spy's Journey

Doyle
A fun and informative read. Intelligence work is anonymous unless it goes astray. Appreciate the context it was written in. For those frustrated by the lack of names and places, I can only suggest to read up on geography and history to help fill some of the gaps by using analysis. Otherwise, I give this 4 stars. Truly appreciate the second half and final chapters, as well as the recommended reading list in the end.
Margaret
Jan 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Somehow the author makes 35 years of spying sound tremendously boring, mostly by not saying anything. "I was in a country, and I met with a contact." Really? Anything else you want to tell us??
Also, the author likes to tell tales of his macho manliness that he doesn't seem to realize make him sound like a raging asshole. As a prank on a coworker, he knocks out electricity on a whole block in a country with little electrical coverage, during a heat wave, as her husband that she hasn't seen comes
Catherine
Dec 07, 2010 rated it did not like it
Mark
Oct 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book was not well-written. Although there were some cute anecdotes about his personal experiences, the book doesn't hold much "big picture" value. However, there were a few reflective chapters after his retirement that looked at intelligence in the larger frame of things that I thought were mildly interesting, though I still felt Paseman could have used an editor to help him clean up and focus the text better.
a.t.m.
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful book about the modern day spy.

Because of the nature of the book in which the author was obviously hamstrung in telling his story and yet protect his agency and fellow spys . At times it was a hard read. The author is very intelligent, a brave and courageous patriot, and seemed to be perfectly suited for the job. Best part of the book was his assessment of all the modern day directors of his agency. I highly recommend this book.
Macjest
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Truly fascinating look at Paseman's years with the CIA. He served covertly in Asia and Europe for years before working a desk. Got an insiders look at spy craft and the administration that ran it as well as the politics. Would have like a little more background on how some things came about, but I did appreciate his unflinching look at what's right and wrong with the agency.
Carl Phillips
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Pretty simple writing, just hope he was a better spy. Too many good books to spend time on this one unless you really want to know something about the CIA.
Laurie Schrall
Sep 04, 2007 rated it liked it
Good book, provides the reader with insight into the Agency's Case Officer career track - particularly overseas. Would recommend Class 11 before this book.
Emmy
Aug 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, true-story
Makes for a good family-history style read, not necessarily a polished memoir. Interesting, though.
Stan
Dec 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
not too much about the internal workings and more about the fun they had in the office.
Santo Golando
Feb 28, 2012 rated it liked it
CIA AGENT'S 35 YEAR LIFE AS A SPY. INTERESTING BUT TOO MUCH DETAIL ABOUT UNIMPORTANT STUFF
Boozy
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
recommended for the intelligence professional. excellent list or recommended reading, and authors insights into political interference with the business of Intelligence.
Loren
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting but goes on way too long
Libby
Jun 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spy
Paseman has a great sense of humor. This book chronologically follows his path as a CIA spy. Compared with other CIA memoirs, his is one of the most fun ones to read.
Peter
Mar 28, 2012
Thomas
Mar 14, 2014
Bo
rated it did not like it
Jun 24, 2014
  • The Book of Honor: Covert Lives and Classified Deaths at the CIA
  • The Main Enemy: The Inside Story of the CIA's Final Showdown with the KGB
  • The CIA at War: Inside the Secret Campaign Against Terror
  • A Spy For All Seasons: My Life in the CIA
  • Wilderness of Mirrors: Intrigue, Deception, and the Secrets that Destroyed Two of the Cold War's Most Important Agents
  • First In: An Insider's Account of How the CIA Spearheaded the War on Terror in Afghanistan
  • The Interrogators: Inside the Secret War Against al Qaeda
  • The Great Game: The Myth and Reality of Espionage
  • Leaderless Jihad: Terror Networks in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Other Side of Deception: A Rogue Agent Exposes the Mossad's Secret Agenda
  • Operation Dark Heart: Spycraft And Special Ops On The Frontlines Of Afghanistan- And The Path To Victory
  • Through Our Enemies' Eyes: Osama bin Laden, Radical Islam, and the Future of America
  • A Mosque in Munich: Nazis, the CIA, and the Rise of the Muslim Brotherhood in the West
  • A Look Over My Shoulder: A Life in the Central Intelligence Agency
  • The Very Best Men: The Daring Early Years of the CIA
  • The Master of Disguise: My Secret Life in the CIA
  • Confessions of a Spy
  • The Interrogator: The Story of Hanns Joachim Scharff, Master Interrogator of the Luftwaffe

Nonfiction Deals

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99