Start by marking “Sacred Places of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Most Peaceful and Powerful Destinations” as Want to Read:

(Journeys of a Lifetime)

This inspirational book showcases 500 of the world's most powerful and spiritual places–and guides modern-day travelers who wish to visit them.

With eloquent text, hundreds of gorgeous full-color images, and practical visitor information, Sacred Places of a Lifetime: 500 of the World’s Most Peaceful and Powerful Destinations highlights fascinating icons of many religions ar
Published October 21st 2008 by National Geographic

To ask other readers questions about Sacred Places of a Lifetime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sacred Places of a Lifetime

Neil
Dec 04, 2008 rated it liked it
OK, I'm a sucker for this kind of big grab-bag travel book with pretty pictures but rather impractical content. This book takes a new approach and I appreciated that, although in its efforts to be diverse and inclusive, it skipped over a lot of really beautiful churches one can actually visit without much difficulty. There are an awful lot of places in this volume that aren't practical travel destinations for most of us.

I also have to say that it makes me sad when I read books like this lately.
Megan (ReadingRover)
This was a spectacular National Geographic book of Sacred Places to travel to throughout your lifetime. The photographs are gorgeous, bold, bright and incredibly detailed. The information is interesting and thorough listing each place's notable features and the best times of year to visit. A few of my favorites were the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland, the Plain of Jars in Laos, Ajanta and Ellora Caves in India and the Hill of Crosses in Lithuania. I hope to be able to Boate each of these o ...more
Kelly Salasin
Family favorite to page through, read, share and dream...
Brenna Bonner
Dec 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all travelers
Gorgeous and inspiring photography and descriptions. Now who is going to give me money to travel to these places?!?! :)
Iulia
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great travelling guide!
Novieta Tourisia
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sacred Places of a Lifetime is a National Geographic's spiritual-cultural odyssey packaged in a 387-page combo book consists of ten sections: Landscapes, Megaliths & Mysteries, Cradles of Faith, Majestic Ruins, Daily Devotion, Shrines, The Pilgrim's Way, Ceremonies & Festivals, In Remembrance, and Retreats.

The title says '500 of the World's Most Peaceful and Powerful Destinations', combination of incredible nature and rich culture. From Devils Tower in USA, to Debre Zion Monastery in Afr
Janet
Jan 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
I didn't realize this book was geared toward faith-based travel, and was instead simply looking for travel that was good for the soul. Many of these places are unfortunately geared toward the masses. When I read the words "tour buses" in relation to something, I am immediately turned off. Some of the photography was stunning, however, so excellent for the armchair traveler.
Keri
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Beautiful photos but you've probably already heard of most of these places. The locations may be peaceful and powerful but this book doesn't bring you on an emotional journey. I was hoping to be moved. Unfortunately this book is more fact oriented and there's simply no room for story telling or mysticism.
Hunter R.
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Francine
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The pictures are wonderful; it's National Geographic after all!!!

The pictures and accompanying text were great to learn or re-learn about a particular sacred site.
This would be a great book to browse before your next trip so that you might visit a sacred place when you are traveling.
Vicki
Jul 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I am such a sucker for geography...especially of the whole world. then overlay that with the context of peace, power, or sacred places, I just LOVE it.
Lee
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for me and my kids. They have pages doubled over of sites they want to see and begin asking questions about beliefs.
Adam
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Absolutely amazing!
Stephy
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
Pretty pictures, and not a whole lot more. Practically useless to someone who is not a full time world traveler with an unlimited budget.
Beth
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful, inspiring book of photographs. I shared it with a number of friends, who agreed.
Sharon
Feb 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Lovely book, beautiful pictures. I did wish they would provide more infomation about the site and why it is a spiritial spot. Provides good infomation for those planning to visit the sites.
Kimberly
Sep 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • 1001 Natural Wonders: You Must See Before You Die
  • 1000 Ultimate Experiences
  • Where To Go When (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • National Geographic Visual History of the World
  • 1001 Historic Sites You Must See Before You Die
  • World Heritage Sites: A Complete Guide to 890 UNESCO World Heritage Sites
  • National Geographic Dinosaurs
  • National Geographic 125 Years: Legendary Photographs, Adventures, and Discoveries That Changed the World
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • 1001 Buildings You Must See Before You Die: The World's Architectural Masterpieces
  • The New Roget's Thesaurus in Dictionary Form
  • Hubble: Imaging Space and Time
  • 1001 Foods You Must Taste Before You Die
  • Understanding Islam: An Introduction to the Muslim World
  • Great Britain
  • Scholastic Children's Dictionary
  • Flying Without a Broom: Astral Projection and the Astral World
  • Immediatism

Journeys of a Lifetime (5 books)
  • Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips