Start by marking “The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born” as Want to Read:
The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born

(The Dark Tower (Graphic Novels) #1)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  69,626 Ratings  ·  951 Reviews
'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.' With those words, millions of readers were introduced to Stephen King's Roland ' an implacable gunslinger in search of the enigmatic Dark Tower, powering his way through a dangerous land filled with ancient technology and deadly magic. Now, in a comic book personally overseen by King himself, Roland's ...more
Published November 21st 2007 by Marvel Comics (first published November 7th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Tower, please sign up.
Richard Man the first book is trash but I was told to keep going and Man look the Dark Towers and the Game of Thrones series is the best thing ever written.…moreMan the first book is trash but I was told to keep going and Man look the Dark Towers and the Game of Thrones series is the best thing ever written. By the second book of DT it picks up but the 3-7 books are explosive like nothing I ever read.(less)
Scott The graphic novels are an adaptation in sequential art form, or as we used to call them, comic books. Personally, I got bored with this one. I don't…moreThe graphic novels are an adaptation in sequential art form, or as we used to call them, comic books. Personally, I got bored with this one. I don't think you can exchange books you read years ago.(less)

Anne
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I'm probably going to get crucified by King fans, but I thought that The Dark Tower story was the same as The Stand. And, not being a huge fan of King's horror/fantasy/whatever tales, I hadn't been motivated to figure that out till now. But yeah.
Hey, those are two different series!
And all the King fans simultaneously do this:

description

That's ok, I deserve that one.
Here's the thing, I don't really enjoy the rambling, weird, sometimes downright gross style of some of his writing. But please don't think
Matthew
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: King and graphic novel fans
Dark Tower graphic novels? Yes please!

This is the very first volume and it is a collection of seven issues telling the same story as in Wizard and Glass (4th book of The Dark Tower series). That part of the Gunslinger story lends itself very well to the graphic novel format. Who am I kidding!? The whole thing lends itself to this format, book four is just a very good place to start.

I am very impressed with the adaptation of a 500+ page novel into a 150 to 200 page graphic novel. The artwork and
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
9/22/17 - (ALL TEN VOLUMES are currently) ON SALE for $1.80 - $2.20 each:

Do you understand how cheap that is for a graphic novel? Go! Get them ALL! Now!

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Even though one of my few legitimate phobias is anything Stephen King-related (I read one of his short story collections when I was far too young and have been unable to sleep in a room with an open door ever since #truestory), all the hype surrounding The Dark Tower movie, made me curious . . .

Of al
Char
I absolutely adored this graphic novel. The artwork was STUNNING!

It seems that the graphic novels tell the story quite differently than the books do. Having just listened to most of The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass, the story of Susan Delgado and Rhea of Coos is still fresh in my mind. Their stories are told here, in Volume 1 of the GN series.I can't wait to read the next one!

You can get your beautifully illustrated copy here:

Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born

All Hail the Crimson King

Anna
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To prequel της ιστορίας του Μαύρου Πύργου, όπου μας διηγείται τα νεανικά χρόνια του Ρόλαντ και πώς ξεκίνησαν όλα. Εν όψει μάλιστα και της τηλεοπτικής σειράς που αναμένουμε το καλοκαίρι (με Idris Elba και Matthew McConaughey) καλό είναι να το φρεσκάρουμε λίγο!

Οι φαν του Μαύρου Πύργου θα το λατρέψουν (εγώ ομολογώ ότι δεν τρελαίνομαι), αλλά το σκίτσο είναι εντυπωσιακό, η ιστορία περιγράφεται στο ίδιο ακριβώς στυλ με τα βιβλία, ενώ στα μπόνους έχουμε περιλήψεις, σημειώσεις από τους συντελεστές και π
StoryTellerShannon
I never got into the novel series but after reading this particular graphic novel I just might give it another try. This volume focuses on the Gunslinger before he became a legend in this post apocalyptic Spaghetti Western Fantasy tale. It covers the legends of his home realm life, how he earned his guns at an early age and his first mission which led to him meeting his first love.

The tone is dark, gritty and at times brutal and women don't have many options unless they hold a great deal of pow
Sud666
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, horror, favorites
Magnificent! This is truly a work of art. Gorgeous paintings accompany a wonderfully written story. The Gunsligner Born is the story of Roland. This acts as a prequel to the Dark Tower novels, since Roland is only 14. We see his training with Cort and the other Gunslinger's of his Ka-Tet- Cuthbert and Alain. The story then follows Roland and his Ka-Tet as they undertake a mission against Farson's troops. Roland also meets and falls in love with Susan, which has tragic consequences for both.

I can
TK421
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I have been told that if you HAVE NOT READ book four of the Dark Tower Series, WIZARD AND GLASS, The Dark Tower graphic novels provide some spoilers.

WARNING: THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not read WIZARD AND GLASS, so I don’t know if I am writing any spoilers in this review. (Let me know if I am!!)

THE GUNSLINGER BORN is a graphic novel that packs just as much punch as King’s first book in the Dark Tower Series THE GUNSLINGER. But instead of an older Roland, we are introdu
Steve
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well, I was warned that there were changes to the story...

I read this as individual issues. Several reviews stated that Marvel, in their infinite wisdom, left a significant portion of the seven issues out of the compilation, dropping Robin Furth's history of Gilead and Arthur Eld completely. Without these, the story as presented makes even less sense. I'll explain that statement shortly.

This is part of the story from Wizard and Glass in which (view spoiler)
Richard
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark Tower fans and those who are interested in jumping in
*3.5 Stars*
Here we go. Years ago, I had a great time going on the epic adventure of Roland and his ka-tet as they travel in search of the Dark Tower in order to save the world(s) in Stephen King's massive genre-bending epic. With the Dark Tower movie being released this year, I thought I'd delve into the huge multi-series comic book adaptation of the story, and it starts here.

In this first 5-volume series, with guidance from King, Peter David and Robin Furth decided to begin the story by compili
Jean
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed the Dark Tower series, so I looked forward to getting back to some places and characters I missed through the graphic novels. I might read the next one, to give them a second chance, but I'm not chomping at the bit, that's for sure.

The writing in The Gunslinger Born is dull--an overdone mimic of the language King uses in the original series. Still, although King's writing is enjoyable, he's no great word-master (great story-teller, yes). So I wasn't expecting miracles in the writing d
David Sven
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great graphic novel that goes into the Roland origins story as related in The Gunslinger and Wizard and Glass.

The art was great. Fans of Dark Tower will love it. I'm not sure how it does as an entry into the main series of books though. The books also give more detail than is in the comic, but what this has that the books don't is extra information interspersed about the histories of Gilead and Arthur Eld and the mythology of "In World." This is actually NEW information that the books only hint
Stephen
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
5.0 stars. WOW, WHAT AN AMAZING ADAPTATION!!! First off, I must say that this book is not recommended for those who have not read the Dark Tower series (especially Wizard and Glass on which this graphic novel is based). However, for those that have read and enjoyed Wizard and Glass, this graphic novel is a real treat. The artwork is superb, the tone is spot on, and the writers do an amazing job of translating a 500 page story into 150 page graphic novel without losing the scope of the book in th ...more
juan carlos
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En estos momentos donde mi vida sólo es depresión y dolor, me dije: " vamos a releer mi guía de la torre oscura y esperar mi muerte".

Así que en los próximos meses van a ir encontrando en estas reseñas puntos importantes que no deben olvidar para entender mejor esta saga de fantasía oscura creado por Stephen King.

¿En qué me tengo que enfocar al leer el nacimiento del pistolero?

1. El origen de Roland y como este consiguió sus armas.
2. Pongan principal atención a dos conceptos principales. EL SI
Kandice
Aug 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
7/2015 - I bumped it up a star because I very recently re-read The Gunslinger and this satisfied a craving. I am so in love with Lee's illustrations! I'm still not a fan of the familiarity of the narrator with the reader, but the story is solid.

I love the way the GN explains things like Ka and Ka-tet as soon as the words are used. King lets the reader figure their meanings out, but with the GN there is a very finite number of words and a lot of information to pass along, so explaining is a good
diegomarcapaginas
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantástica precuela? del pistolero de Stephen King. Me esperaba una fiel adaptación de la novela y me encontré con mucho más. Nuevos personajes, villanos entre bambalinas y escenas que dan redondez a un personaje que un principio resulta un tanto árido. Con este principio tan épico tengo muchas ganas de continuar leyendo los cómics.
Mark
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
We had our national comic days in Breda Netherlands and a colleague of mine did get some copies of this book for free so he could pass them at his work so hence my adding this to my reading-list and reading this today.

The Dark tower a series I steered clear from, which is odd as I like Stephen King novels, I did not see the movie which is odd as my wife kinda fancies Idris Alba and Matthew McConaughey. Not sure why we did not go.

I recently downloaded the whole Dark tower series on my e-reader as
Melissa Chung
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
YES! What a great story. If you have read the novel and first book of the Dark Tower series, Gunslinger, then you are going to love this graphic novel. This is a prequel in a way. It's not officially called the prequel, but I'm considering it to be. 5 stars for being amazing.

In The Gunslinger Born, we meet Roland as a boy. Those that have read Gunslinger, have heard about Roland and his duel with his teacher Cort. We learn that he earns his guns 2 years earlier than his father who was the younge
Steve
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I came to the Gunslinger Born, somewhat nervously. I've not read the entire series - or more accurately, I've been stuck on The Wastelands, unable to get further into the Dark Tower. But lately I've gotten into reading graphic novels, and I know King has been interested in them as a medium (Just look at the main character in Cell). That said, some of the reviews here seem quite upset over missing material. I don't know how to respond to that (maybe it was a "flow" problem), since I didn't read t ...more
☠tsukino☠
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fumetti
Ho avuto un inizio un po' difficile dovuto al fatto che mi sono abituata a leggere manga e mi sono dovuta riabituare alla lettura occidentale ^^
Graphic novel fantastica, alcune parti leggermente diverse rispetto al romanzo e altre complementari.
Le tavole di Jae Lee (tra i miei fumettisti Marvel preferiti) sono spettacolari.
Piccola curiosità: nella postfazione, Stephen King, parla di idee nuove che avrebbe voluto utilizzare per fare altri fumetti e ci racconta la trama di 22.11.63, quattro anni p
seak
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Chris
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
My first, of what I expect to be many reads of the Dark Tower series started almost two years ago. Since I have finished it I have wanted to find more ways of enjoying the saga while my to-read shelf continues to grow. This will make me wait a little longer to re-read the Dark Tower series; but then I found my library has every one of these graphic novels and I got excited. Finally a new experience of the Dark Tower that is fresh and new to me.

This graphic novel is basically the fourth book in
Katherine Furman
Aug 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of The Dark Tower, and I was a mixture of excited and apprehensive when I heard about its comic book adaptation. I thought that they were going to be prequels or something like that, but they turned out to be Wizard and Glass retold (which happens to be my favorite of the series.)

After this first issue, my fears were allayed I was sold. They are phenomenal. The illustrations are addictive and entrancing. They're all shadow and dark, and the use of black negative space is incredibl
Marc-Antoine
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Funny thing, I actually enjoyed this more than Wizard and Glass.
Lasairfiona Smith
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Comic books fans who love _amazing_ artwork
Just to clear things up, this is NOT the first book in the dark tower series. This is a comic of Roland's early years. The story is told in book four of The Dark Tower series, Wizard and Glass. The comic follows Roland from training and his gaining his majority and guns through his first lesson in love and loss. To those that have read the series, this story is just a compact retelling of most of Wizard and Glass. I collected the individual issues as they came out.

There are maybe six pages of ne
Maria
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
And I'm back in Mid World. Back with Roland and his ka-tet. Back for the Dark Tower. Oh happy days. After reading this first volume, I know that I'll love this series. Seeing the characters brought to life with such vivid, amazing art is fantastic. The writing, while not done by Stephen King, has his feel. It fits in the world he created.

My advice: don't read the comics if you haven't read the books by SK first. There are some major spoilers in this first volume alone, which aren't revealed in
Andrew
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
Ok this is a second time around for this book but there is a reason...I have finally been able to get all the various instalments to both series of the Dark Tower.

The series was intended to tell the early story of Roland Deschain linking up with the novels. Much of the material is new but does have various vague references from the novels so there is a continuity even if not directly stated (after all the books are from different publishers).

So the book - the artwork is clean and vivid in a st
Paul
Jun 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, horror
I think it's become clear over the past few months that graphic novels just aren't my thing. In this case, the graphic-novel rendition of Stephen King's Dark Tower series begins with the creation of Roland as gunslinger, the backstory told in book 4 of King's series, Wizard and Glass. That book was the best of the series, but all of the things that made it such a terrific novel are missing from the comic-book version. Where King injected emotion and pathos, this is flat and sterile. Where King b ...more
Krystal
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a stunning accompaniment to the series I love so much. The artwork is incredible, and I like that they break down the process at the back of the collection to show you how much work goes into creating each frame.

There's little to say about the story itself - here, the Dark Tower saga begins in chronological order, and I'd recommend people read the series before the comic, or only read the comic if they have no intention of reading the novels. The books obviously have so much more de
Angelar
Aug 23, 2007 rated it liked it
If you haven't yet read the Dark Tower series (or finished the series) and plan to, don't read this book! The writers and artists have crammed an impressive number of spoilers into this brief volume, and have also bulldozed levels of nuance which make the Dark Tower series such a good read.

Some elements of the artwork are inspired and atmospheric, which I appreciate, but the artists still work for Marvel, so the male characters look like they're on steroids and have had chin implants and the one
  • The Stand: The Night Has Come
  • The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)
  • The Road to the Dark Tower: Exploring Stephen King's Magnum Opus
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 13: Too Far Gone
  • Wolverine: Old Man Logan
  • Keys to the Kingdom (Locke & Key, #4)
  • Stephen King's N.
  • American Vampire, Vol. 3
  • Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse, Vol. 1: Birds, Bees, Blood & Beer
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum

The Dark Tower (Graphic Novels) (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home