Start by marking “The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born” as Want to Read:
The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born

(The Dark Tower: Graphic Novels #1)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  74,730 ratings  ·  1,039 reviews
'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.' With those words, millions of readers were introduced to Stephen King's Roland ' an implacable gunslinger in search of the enigmatic Dark Tower, powering his way through a dangerous land filled with ancient technology and deadly magic. Now, in a comic book personally overseen by King himself, Roland's ...more
Published November 21st 2007 by Marvel Comics (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Tower, please sign up.
Richard Man the first book is trash but I was told to keep going and Man look the Dark Towers and the Game of Thrones series is the best thing ever written. B…moreMan the first book is trash but I was told to keep going and Man look the Dark Towers and the Game of Thrones series is the best thing ever written. By the second book of DT it picks up but the 3-7 books are explosive like nothing I ever read.(less)
Scott The graphic novels are an adaptation in sequential art form, or as we used to call them, comic books. Personally, I got bored with this one. I don't t…moreThe graphic novels are an adaptation in sequential art form, or as we used to call them, comic books. Personally, I got bored with this one. I don't think you can exchange books you read years ago.(less)

·  74,730 ratings  ·  1,039 reviews

Start your review of The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born
Anne
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I'm probably going to get crucified by King fans, but I thought that The Dark Tower story was the same as The Stand. And, not being a huge fan of King's horror/fantasy/whatever tales, I hadn't been motivated to figure that out till now. But yeah.
Hey, those are two different series!
And all the King fans simultaneously do this:

description

That's ok, I deserve that one.
Here's the thing, I don't really enjoy the rambling, weird, sometimes downright gross style of some of his writing. But please don't think
Matthew
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: King and graphic novel fans
Dark Tower graphic novels? Yes please!

This is the very first volume and it is a collection of seven issues telling the same story as in Wizard and Glass (4th book of The Dark Tower series). That part of the Gunslinger story lends itself very well to the graphic novel format. Who am I kidding!? The whole thing lends itself to this format, book four is just a very good place to start.

I am very impressed with the adaptation of a 500+ page novel into a 150 to 200 page graphic novel. The artwork and
Emma
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! This is actually the content from Wizard and Glass and I think it’s a good idea to do things in chronological order. Great art work.
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
9/22/17 - (ALL TEN VOLUMES are currently) ON SALE for $1.80 - $2.20 each:

Trish
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yep, I've fallen down the rabbit hole. Not yet entirely done with the novels (I'm finishing #7 tomorrow probably) and just reveling in all the additional information these comics give the reader.

Apparently, the comics follow the Dark Tower story chronologically. Personally, I don't think this would have worked for the novels AT ALL so I'm glad SK didn't write the story like this. But once you've read the novels, these are a great way to gain deeper insight into some events and characters.

Thus, t
Char
I absolutely adored this graphic novel. The artwork was STUNNING!

It seems that the graphic novels tell the story quite differently than the books do. Having just listened to most of The Dark Tower: Wizard and Glass, the story of Susan Delgado and Rhea of Coos is still fresh in my mind. Their stories are told here, in Volume 1 of the GN series.I can't wait to read the next one!

You can get your beautifully illustrated copy here:

Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born

All Hail the Crimson Kin

Bradley
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You know, even if I wasn't already a die-hard fan of King in general and a super-fan of the DT in specific, I have to say that the quality of this artwork is EASILY enough to deserve a 5-star rating while totally skimming the text.

That being said, I DID NOT skim the text. :) And what did I find?

I didn't find The Gunslinger. Nope. I found KID GUNSLINGER. You know, a wealth of details about the dark YA version of Roland and his youthful Ka-tet. Not to mention a wealth of information only gleaned b
Shannon
I never got into the novel series but after reading this particular graphic novel I just might give it another try. This volume focuses on the Gunslinger before he became a legend in this post apocalyptic Spaghetti Western Fantasy tale. It covers the legends of his home realm life, how he earned his guns at an early age and his first mission which led to him meeting his first love.

The tone is dark, gritty and at times brutal and women don't have many options unless they hold a great deal of pow
Sud666
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, comics, favorites
Magnificent! This is truly a work of art. Gorgeous paintings accompany a wonderfully written story. The Gunsligner Born is the story of Roland. This acts as a prequel to the Dark Tower novels, since Roland is only 14. We see his training with Cort and the other Gunslinger's of his Ka-Tet- Cuthbert and Alain. The story then follows Roland and his Ka-Tet as they undertake a mission against Farson's troops. Roland also meets and falls in love with Susan, which has tragic consequences for both.

I can
Lukas Sumper
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is nothing short of the most epic graphic novel series. I have yet to come across something remotley close in epicness, and while contemporary artists still try to achieve something similar, I need to take a swing at "saga" as it is labeled by so many people as such an epic on the modern side.

The first 14 pages of "The Gunslinger Born" win me over in multiple ways at once while all the 176 pages of Saga Volume 1 fail to do so in one way. It is not even in the same league.

What stephen king
TK421
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I have been told that if you HAVE NOT READ book four of the Dark Tower Series, WIZARD AND GLASS, The Dark Tower graphic novels provide some spoilers.

WARNING: THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not read WIZARD AND GLASS, so I don’t know if I am writing any spoilers in this review. (Let me know if I am!!)

THE GUNSLINGER BORN is a graphic novel that packs just as much punch as King’s first book in the Dark Tower Series THE GUNSLINGER. But instead of an older Roland, we are introdu
Steve
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well, I was warned that there were changes to the story...

I read this as individual issues. Several reviews stated that Marvel, in their infinite wisdom, left a significant portion of the seven issues out of the compilation, dropping Robin Furth's history of Gilead and Arthur Eld completely. Without these, the story as presented makes even less sense. I'll explain that statement shortly.

This is part of the story from Wizard and Glass in which (view spoiler)
Tiago
Even better on a second read through, truly a work of art, one of the best graphic novels out there. Flawless engaging storytelling, terrific world building and outstanding art.
Richard
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dark Tower fans and those who are interested in jumping in
*3.5 Stars*
Here we go. Years ago, I had a great time going on the epic adventure of Roland and his ka-tet as they travel in search of the Dark Tower in order to save the world(s) in Stephen King's massive genre-bending epic. With the Dark Tower movie being released this year, I thought I'd delve into the huge multi-series comic book adaptation of the story, and it starts here.

In this first 5-volume series, with guidance from King, Peter David and Robin Furth decided to begin the story by compili
Jean
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed the Dark Tower series, so I looked forward to getting back to some places and characters I missed through the graphic novels. I might read the next one, to give them a second chance, but I'm not chomping at the bit, that's for sure.

The writing in The Gunslinger Born is dull--an overdone mimic of the language King uses in the original series. Still, although King's writing is enjoyable, he's no great word-master (great story-teller, yes). So I wasn't expecting miracles in the writing d
Stephen
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
5.0 stars. WOW, WHAT AN AMAZING ADAPTATION!!! First off, I must say that this book is not recommended for those who have not read the Dark Tower series (especially Wizard and Glass on which this graphic novel is based). However, for those that have read and enjoyed Wizard and Glass, this graphic novel is a real treat. The artwork is superb, the tone is spot on, and the writers do an amazing job of translating a 500 page story into 150 page graphic novel without losing the scope of the book in th ...more
David Sven
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great graphic novel that goes into the Roland origins story as related in The Gunslinger and Wizard and Glass.

The art was great. Fans of Dark Tower will love it. I'm not sure how it does as an entry into the main series of books though. The books also give more detail than is in the comic, but what this has that the books don't is extra information interspersed about the histories of Gilead and Arthur Eld and the mythology of "In World." This is actually NEW information that the books only hint
Kandice
Aug 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
7/2015 - I bumped it up a star because I very recently re-read The Gunslinger and this satisfied a craving. I am so in love with Lee's illustrations! I'm still not a fan of the familiarity of the narrator with the reader, but the story is solid.

I love the way the GN explains things like Ka and Ka-tet as soon as the words are used. King lets the reader figure their meanings out, but with the GN there is a very finite number of words and a lot of information to pass along, so explaining is a good
Stepheny
Absolutely amazing! Really brings the wonderful tale of Roland to life. The artwork is breathtaking, and it was very well written.
Melissa Chung
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
YES! What a great story. If you have read the novel and first book of the Dark Tower series, Gunslinger, then you are going to love this graphic novel. This is a prequel in a way. It's not officially called the prequel, but I'm considering it to be. 5 stars for being amazing.

In The Gunslinger Born, we meet Roland as a boy. Those that have read Gunslinger, have heard about Roland and his duel with his teacher Cort. We learn that he earns his guns 2 years earlier than his father who was the younge
Steve
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I came to the Gunslinger Born, somewhat nervously. I've not read the entire series - or more accurately, I've been stuck on The Wastelands, unable to get further into the Dark Tower. But lately I've gotten into reading graphic novels, and I know King has been interested in them as a medium (Just look at the main character in Cell). That said, some of the reviews here seem quite upset over missing material. I don't know how to respond to that (maybe it was a "flow" problem), since I didn't read t ...more
Andrew
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
Ok this is a second time around for this book but there is a reason...I have finally been able to get all the various instalments to both series of the Dark Tower.

The series was intended to tell the early story of Roland Deschain linking up with the novels. Much of the material is new but does have various vague references from the novels so there is a continuity even if not directly stated (after all the books are from different publishers).

So the book - the artwork is clean and vivid in a st
seak
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Chris
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
My first, of what I expect to be many reads of the Dark Tower series started almost two years ago. Since I have finished it I have wanted to find more ways of enjoying the saga while my to-read shelf continues to grow. This will make me wait a little longer to re-read the Dark Tower series; but then I found my library has every one of these graphic novels and I got excited. Finally a new experience of the Dark Tower that is fresh and new to me.

This graphic novel is basically the fourth book in
Mark
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
We had our national comic days in Breda Netherlands and a colleague of mine did get some copies of this book for free so he could pass them at his work so hence my adding this to my reading-list and reading this today.

The Dark tower a series I steered clear from, which is odd as I like Stephen King novels, I did not see the movie which is odd as my wife kinda fancies Idris Alba and Matthew McConaughey. Not sure why we did not go.

I recently downloaded the whole Dark tower series on my e-reader as
Katherine Furman
Aug 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of The Dark Tower, and I was a mixture of excited and apprehensive when I heard about its comic book adaptation. I thought that they were going to be prequels or something like that, but they turned out to be Wizard and Glass retold (which happens to be my favorite of the series.)

After this first issue, my fears were allayed I was sold. They are phenomenal. The illustrations are addictive and entrancing. They're all shadow and dark, and the use of black negative space is incredibl
Marc-Antoine
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Funny thing, I actually enjoyed this more than Wizard and Glass.
Lasairfiona Smith
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Comic books fans who love _amazing_ artwork
Just to clear things up, this is NOT the first book in the dark tower series. This is a comic of Roland's early years. The story is told in book four of The Dark Tower series, Wizard and Glass. The comic follows Roland from training and his gaining his majority and guns through his first lesson in love and loss. To those that have read the series, this story is just a compact retelling of most of Wizard and Glass. I collected the individual issues as they came out.

There are maybe six pages of ne
Maria
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
And I'm back in Mid World. Back with Roland and his ka-tet. Back for the Dark Tower. Oh happy days. After reading this first volume, I know that I'll love this series. Seeing the characters brought to life with such vivid, amazing art is fantastic. The writing, while not done by Stephen King, has his feel. It fits in the world he created.

My advice: don't read the comics if you haven't read the books by SK first. There are some major spoilers in this first volume alone, which aren't revealed in
Baba
The Dark Tower IV: WIZARD AND GLASS in Marvel graphic novel format, with so many extras… can the graphic novel bring anything more to this superb series? The answer is very much so from the well thought out (in regards to Mid-World attire and scenery) and almost exquisite Jae Lee art through to the Peter David penned dialogue. But the brains behind the greatness of this series lies fully with Robin Furth for her extensive deep research of the original material that she has used to help create an ...more

• The Road to the Dark Tower: Exploring Stephen King's Magnum Opus
  • Treachery
  • The Stand: Captain Trips
  • The Gunslinger
  • The Stand: American Nightmares
  • The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)
  • The Regulators
  • Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, #5)
  • The Stand: Hardcases
  • The Little Sisters of Eluria (The Dark Tower, #0.5)
  • The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2)
  • Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)
  • The Green Mile: The Screenplay
  • Stephen King's N.
  • The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, #3)
  • Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)
  • The Stand: No Man's Land
  • The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)

The Dark Tower: Graphic Novels (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home