Start by marking “Sweet Remembrance: The Little Match Girl Retelling” as Want to Read:
Sweet Remembrance: The Little Match Girl Retelling

Sweet Remembrance: The Little Match Girl Retelling

In the despair of the Warsaw Ghetto, a young Jewish woman fights the Nazis with the only thing she has left—her memories.
Published February 16th 2017 by The White Rose Press

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Remembrance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Remembrance

Start your review of Sweet Remembrance: The Little Match Girl Retelling
Serethiel ☽ ✨
Note: I originally read Sweet Remembrance in the Once anthology, which I received a free copy of in exchange for my honest review. Read my original review of Once at: http://oliviakfisher.blogspot.com/201....

Oh my stars... Where to begin?

Emily's retelling of The Little Match Girl takes place on the streets of Poland during World War II, where a twenty-one-year-old woman struggles to survive.

I'm not even sure how to write this review; there hardly seem adjectives great enough to describe it.

Faith
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Utterly heartbreaking and beautiful. <3
(One instance of profanity and one word I didn't need.)
Deborah O'Carroll
Note: I read this in the collection Once: Six Historically Inspired Fairytales, which I received in return for an honest review, and originally reviewed it here: https://deborahocarroll.wordpress.com...

This is one of those “it’s not you, it’s me” things. I knew from the start that this would be a story that would not be a favorite.

World War II, The Little Match Girl, first-person-present-tense, tragic love story, with a lot of darkness and grimness, and favorite character dying, and no happy
Rachel
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Set in a Jewish ghetto during WWII, the story of two young people who found and then gradually lost each other, their world, and then their whole lives made me cry more than once. It was achingly beautiful, and the fact that people like these really did live through horrors like that made it even more poignant. I love learning about WWII, both from non-fiction and from fiction -- that time period fascinates me endlessly, and this story was obviously well researched, which I appreciated.
Jesseca Wheaton
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Would you like to read a heartbreaking, beautiful tragedy that hurts you just as you realize how precious it is?
Then read this.
It was so beautiful, and so, so sad. The flashbacks added so much to the story, and I found myself instantly connected to Romek and Kasia. And the music that flowed between the lines added so much to the story.
This is the kind of story that breaks you heart in two, yet at the same time, it holds a beautiful, precious hope. I'm really not sure how else to describe it.
Tarissa
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Certainly, this story is precious. With a twist on the original Little Match Girl tale, it transports you to the time of World War II.

The story is complete with aches, sorrows, alongside beauty and joy.

Cons? The only thing I didn't like was an unexpected swear word.
Emily Chapman
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
(I'd like to specify that I rate this 4 1/2 stars, but Goodreads won't let you go halves. Which is unfortunate.)

The beauty of Sweet Remembrance is hard to put into words. Why? The beauty is so mingled with grief, one can only smile around the ache in the heart.

Kasia and Romek are innocently sweet and overflowing with life and love. But darkness comes. Slipping this romantic couple into the midst of a horrifying Jewish ghetto, their sweetness becomes but a wavering beacon in the undiluted
Ursula
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing

SO hauntingly beautiful! It tears at the heart with truth and longing. A young Jewish girl, barely living, is pulled to a destination by her memories of first and lost love, through Nazi war torn Poland. Very moving and deep. A great read!
Meredith Burton
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sweet Remembrance is a heartwrenching but beautiful tale of young love in the midst of horror. Set during World War II in a Warsaw ghetto, the story portrays heroism exhibited by courageous people trying to survive. Emily Ann Putzke has skillfully woven history into a fairy tale retelling. Heartachingly sad, the story, like Hans Christian Andersen's original tale, nevertheless contains glorious hope. The imagery is vivid, and I love how music was used.

When I first read this story, I gave it four
Karen
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I bawled. Beautifully written.
Justin O'Grady
Willow Staley
Jul 09, 2017
Hayden
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautifully poignant, tragic yet hopeful, this is a skillful re-imagining of "The Little Match Girl." It's true in tone to the original tale, but the new setting makes this story perhaps even more heartrending.
Kristin Ael
Jun 24, 2017
Paul
Aug 01, 2017

• Death Be Not Proud
  • With Blossoms Gold (Fairytale Novellas, #1)
  • The Mountain of the Wolf (Historical Fairytales #3)
  • Once: Six Historically Inspired Fairytales
  • The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2)
  • Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3)
  • The Emerald City of Oz (Oz #6)
  • Rumpled
  • She But Sleepeth
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)
  • The Patchwork Girl of Oz (Oz, #7)
  • The Road to Oz (Oz, #5)
  • The Scarecrow of Oz (Oz, #9)
  • Tik-Tok of Oz (Oz, #8)