Start by marking “The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)

The Land: Founding

(Chaos Seeds #1)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  15,499 ratings  ·  1,152 reviews
Welcome my friends!
Welcome... to "The Land!"

Tricked into a world of banished gods, demons, goblins, sprites and magic, Richter must learn to meet the perils of The Land and begin to forge his own kingdom. Actions have consequences across The Land, with powerful creatures and factions now hell-bent on Richter's destruction.

Can Richter forge allegiances to survive this harsh
Published November 15th 2015 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Land, please sign up.
Harry Frank I am floored with the positive reviews of this book. The writing is so bad. It feels like it wasn't even edited, with awkward wording and even…moreI am floored with the positive reviews of this book. The writing is so bad. It feels like it wasn't even edited, with awkward wording and even occasional typos (e.g. "there" instead of "they")

The humor is like when someone that isn't funny tries really hard to be funny using outdated memes.

I really, really don't get what people see in this book.(less)

·  15,499 ratings  ·  1,152 reviews

Start your review of The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
Bradley
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In the age-old spirit of reading some of the easiest and most enjoyable popcorn fiction ever designed for old RPG gamers like myself, I've fallen off the wagon of anything normally regarded as "proper" fiction and now I'm wallowing like a pig in the mud.

I'm in heaven.

Okay, I've been reading LitRPG novels for some time now and I've loved them ever since I first turned on the TV back in the 80's. Do you remember that old Dungeons and Dragons cartoon? Yeah. That one. Let's get transported away into
Daemondice
Warning: this is a review of the whole series published so far (books 1–6), not just the first book.

I guess the story was supposed to be about an inexperienced and careless character who gradually grows into a wise ruler, but damn. The protagonist not only has a rather annoying personality and impulsive behaviour, he also makes one stupid mistake after another and very often doesn’t learn anything from his mistakes, repeating the same ones over and over again. Worse than that, the universe often
Zippington
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would. As an rpg player, I loved getting all the info & stats on all the loot & seeing character level progression. Oddly satisfying. I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more where this came from. Definitely recommended for any fans of the mmo/rpg/adventure genres.
Allan
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun

This is a pleasant romp for anyone that's played Everquest or D&D. The leveling,spells and npc's are well thought out. I was unsure about the village part,but it did add to the story.
Kirkus
Nov 09, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"Feeling like a moron, Richter just gave a short nod"

Indeed, meet the moron Richter who most likely failed primary school and is now at the age 24 in another world. Recommended for readers between age 10-15.

Why the writer didn't place the MC in the age bracket of 14-16 I will never know. It would have been the perfect excuse for the characters ignorance.
Diamond Stafford
Amazing

Sucks you into this dream like world were the worst might be occurring in the background but nothing but limitless potential stirs on the surface
David McBride
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This entire series is definitely worth a read. I had a lot of fun with it, and am eagerly anticipating the 7th. This isn't the first LitRPG I've read, but it's definitely one of the best. Kong captures the spirit and magic of RPGs, and this book should appeal to most red-blooded gamers out there.
Enzo
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First I must mention, that I use to play a lot of D&D and this is almost as fun. Having said that I feel I enjoy LitRPG titles because they remind me of good times plus work those corners of my mind that keep tallies on scores, attributes, races, etc.
The book is simply a lot of fun, had I started reading in a weekend I might have marathon through it. As it is I think I went to fast wish I could go straight to book 2 in the series but my promise to not do that because I like switching genres
Jeff Rogers
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good fantasy read

A slightly off-beat fantasy book that is one of the best things I have read in quite a while. Congratulations to Mr Kong, someone's finally written a storyline that I feel compelled to follow.
Geli
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litrpg
Truthfully, I bought the book when I had just finished Awaken Online: Catharsis and I wanted, needed more! Nice of the Awaken Online author to recomment this book, and so I went and bought it.

So I might have started reading with too high expectations, yes. But then, I might also have not as this is far from my first Litrpg ride and there are lots of okay to very enjoyable books out there.
Sadly, this wasn't one of them to me.

The reason is simple: While the setting with the gods and the game is
Bryan Fortner
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book in the LitRPG Genre and I couldn't be more happy.

I was lucky enough to happen upon this through a free promotion (I don't remember which one as I signed up for many) but I was pleasantly surprised.

I love fantasy and world-building and the added concept of leveling up and the game mechanics made it more enjoyable. When I was young I would play these games all the time and get lost in them for days. Although I may come back to them time again when I'm older, I find reading a
H2h1z
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE IT!!!!!
Jake
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised

When I heard "father of LitRPG" and some of the other things I've heard about the author I was a bit skeptical. I read the free sample. Still skeptical. When I saw a promo in the back of another fantastic (but too short) series, Divine Dungeon, and that this book happened to be free that day (July 1st, 2017), I figured "what the hell? What have I got to lose?"

I need to stop being such a cynic sometimes...

This book was AMAZING. Great flow, great humor, lots of fun references
Metatr0n
Oct 23, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-the-trash-bin
I burned through this book in hours, while it had its flaws i needed my fix after Awaken Online, so i continued to read and finished all 5 books. My interest waned more and more after each book only skimmed the 5th one since it was more of the same.

So the biggest flaws:
Protagonist is immortal and limitless (not spoilers since you find that out in the first couple chapters), so author makes it clear that his protagonist will be Mary-Sue, there's no tension that something bad will happen to him
Beko
Mar 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
It will reduce your I.Q.
Valerie Prevosnak
Jul 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
LitRPG is by far my favorite genre, so I tried hard to like this book . . . very hard. In the end, the best praise I can give it is that the premise is moderately interesting and the grammar is reasonably good.

My biggest turnoff was that the main character simply wasn't likeable (or hate-able for that matter). He was juvenile and flat, a noob-hating, immature 11-year-old, passed off as a 20-something gamer with no real back story, connections, motivations, or drive.

The humor was constant and
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
SOMETIMES TRYING SOMETHING NEW IS NOT A GOOD IDEA

Popsugar Reading Challenge 2019
A LitRPG book

As a part of this year's Popsugar Challenge I had to read a LitRPG book and this was the one I chose. However, I think I just have just foregone that challenge, because this did not speak to me at all and I almost feel bad for reviewing it...

WHAT I DISLIKED

Genre: Sorry guys, but this genre just doesn't do it for me. It wasn't quite fantasy, it wasn't a game. It was somewhere in between and that
Emily Gaub
Jan 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure I did not read beyond the first few chapters. I love the idea and the direction of the plot but I couldn't stand the writing style. Mostly ruined by an overuse of exclamation points.
Thomas Cook
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litrpg
Really enjoyed this opening book to the series. Not very experienced with LitRPG but this one gave a very realistic vibe to the game world whereas other LitRPG stories I've read might present in more of a 'virtual' world feel. Planning on continuing with the series.
Lazybee
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First half 3 stars and second half five stars.

Excellent world building. And good characters. Decent story.

A must read for litrpg lovers.
Angus
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is written enthusiastically, I'll give it that, though the writing is also full of typos and punctuation errors. But the plot, such as it is, is pretty poor stuff. A gaming enthusiast is transported to a world that's a near-exact replica of his favourite game. He's greeted by an imp who tells him, very forcibly, that he is no longer playing a game...but from there on, it stops making sense, because the remainder of the book shows very clearly that he is definitely still playing a game. ...more
Michael
Jan 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book - this entire series, in fact - but it's just impossible, and it's completely because of the author. Aleron is the reason I joined Goodreads and am writing a review right now. Reading this insufferable writing is really that unpleasant.

Obviously, if you don't have a history with gaming, this book probably won't really resonate with you. The gaming part is the appeal, and it's what I'm here for. I love the LitRPG genre. The stats and optimizing are nice, the
Wolfgarr
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every now and then you come across one of those books you just can't put down until you have read it from cover page to the end. This is one of those for me. I do not know why the LitRpg genre has caught my attention as hard as it has..But i will say this..This series has me chomping at the bit wanting more. The series just has that 'Stuff' that makes it a good read, don't ask me to articulate what exactly that 'stuff' is because i don't have the words.

Looking forward to more in this series,
Tim
Apr 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: trash
Bookshelf pollution.

I’ll give anyone who bothers to read this review two words to describe this series: self published. Ok, I’m feeling generous so how about two more? Self edited. Couple those two facts and mix with a grade five writing level and a matching level of humour then stir in a healthy dose unchecked self-promotion and you’ve pretty much got the gist of why this series appeared on any top-10 list (other than the top-10 ways to waste your book budget perhaps).

It’s rather difficult to
Rob
Executive Summary: Not great, but still entertaining. 3.5 stars.

Audiobook: I haven't listened to much by Nick Podehl, but I've always considered him a great narrator. This book is no different. He speaks clearly with good volume and inflection and does a variety of voices that make for an excellent audiobook.

I do however have some reservations. One of the drawbacks to Unabridged can be that some text is meant to be scanned/skimmed in a book, but must be read its entirety for the audio version.
Jin
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is something refreshing

Nostalgia does not begin to explain my feelings. There I was reading a novel and then bang I am experiencing an adventure. Thank-you for the amazing work that brought back to life the very books / games and just overall childhood memories. I will be gifting this work to my close friends as I am sure they will enjoy it, love it, build fond memories with it.
Fares
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5

I'll be honest, I don't really understand the point of an RPG book. Not that it's bad bc I have nothing to compare it to but saying it's good isn't going to happen.
I have been fooled by the high rating this book has and more than that I've seen this recommended to me on audible next to some big fantasy books. Unlike those tho, this isn't smooth and doesn't flow naturally bc after everything the MC does you'll get his stats as if you're in a game and that threw me off so hard.
That makes me
Jeremy
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
I read to be entertained and not usually to be enlightened and this series is a perfect example of this. The Land: Founding is the first book in the Chaos Seeds series and I am hooked. I would not call it a "good" book, but I would say it is an extremely fun book (ie my 5 stars). This is my first LitRPG book and first time I have heard this term (Unless Ready Player One counts). The book does a great job at making you feel like you are playing an RPG. You can get frustrated at times because you ...more
James Tomasino
Dec 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I understand litRPG holds a lot of appeal to some readers but this was just too much for me. This wasn't just a real world character entering into a fantasy world, it was a gamer entering the video game he was already playing. People have stats and talk about them numerically. Prompts appear and dings signal leveling up. If it weren't for the half-ass introduction I'd say this book is equivalent to watching someone play a game on YouTube.

There's some wish fulfillment in this genre, but this book
Tammie

Can Richter forge allegiances to survive this harsh and unforgiving world or will he fall to the dark denizens of this ancient and unforgiving realm?

I'm giving up on this one. I'm almost halfway through and it isn't so
LitRPG Forum: The Land: LitRPG Saga 11 78 Aug 03, 2018 07:17PM

• Life Reset (New Era Online #1)
  • Regicide (The Completionist Chronicles, #2)
  • Ritualist (The Completionist Chronicles, #1)
  • Catharsis (Awaken Online #1)
  • Dungeon Born (The Divine Dungeon, #1)
  • Survival Quest (The Way of the Shaman, #1)
  • Dungeon Madness (The Divine Dungeon, #2)
  • Ascend Online (Ascend Online, #1)
  • Life Reset: EvP (Environment vs. Player) (New Era Online #2)
  • Cataclysm (Viridian Gate Online #1)
  • The Reborn (Eden's Gate #1)
  • Dungeon Calamity (The Divine Dungeon, #3)
  • Precipice (Awaken Online, #2)
  • The Kartoss Gambit (The Way of the Shaman #2)
  • The Sparrow (Eden's Gate #2)
  • Evolution (Awaken Online, #3)
  • Crimson Alliance (Viridian Gate Online #2)
  • Dungeon Desolation (The Divine Dungeon, #4)
Welcome to the Mist Village!
You can start your adventure HERE:
EBOOK: https://tinyurl.com/AleronReview
AUDIO: www.audible.com/AleronKong

I love hearing from my fans so feel free to reach out!
Please Share this post if you feel so inclined :)
If you've read or listened to any of my work, PLEASE leave a review lol

This is all of my contact info:
FB The Land Forum: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Alero...

Chaos Seeds (8 books)
  • The Land: Forging (Chaos Seeds, #2)
  • The Land: Alliances (Chaos Seeds, #3)
  • The Land: Catacombs (Chaos Seeds, #4)
  • The Land: Swarm (Chaos Seeds, #5)
  • The Land: Raiders (Chaos Seeds, #6)
  • The Land: Predators (Chaos Seeds, #7)
  • The Land: Monsters (Chaos Seeds, #8)
“Universe, you’re a dick.” 4 likes
“You have picked up an unknown plant. Due to a lack of Herb Lore you have destroyed the plant. Maybe you can use what is left to apologize to your mom.” 1 likes