Start by marking “Mr Salary” as Want to Read:
Mr Salary

Mr Salary

Years ago, Sukie moved in with Nathan because her mother was dead and her father was difficult, and she had nowhere else to go. Now they are on the brink of the inevitable.

Sally Rooney is one of the most acclaimed young talents of recent years. With her minut

Paperback, Faber Stories, 33 pages
Published February 3rd 2019 by Faber & Faber (first published April 26th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Mr Salary, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Eszter Maybe it means what you said, that she is not doing the seemingly "normal" thing (going back to Boston, not having a relationship with an an older man…moreMaybe it means what you said, that she is not doing the seemingly "normal" thing (going back to Boston, not having a relationship with an an older man) as she (these cells) just looks normal, but she is not? I hope for that... :)
Interesting story, I would love to have learned more about them!(less)
Ivan Monckton Thar is the name her mother gave to the bloke....it’s in the story.

Start your review of Mr Salary
emma
buddy reread with my Sally Rooney fan club co-president because we both forgot how to read

--------

Sally Rooney i love you

that's it. that's the review

--------

i will officially read absolutely anything Sally Rooney writes. luckily she wrote short stories so i don't have to try to scrounge up her grocery lists yet
Lee
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Now I'm completely out of Rooney. Maybe if I offered to help her out, do her chores and stuff, to free up more time, the next one might be ready next year? And instead of payment I could get a sneek peak of chapters as they're written? Is this coming over a bit Annie Wilkes?
BlackOxford
Apr 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: irish
Electra’s Hidden Talent

I suppose I’m the wrong generation, with the wrong aesthetic, and an inadequate ability to adapt to what is now hip (note my archaic expression). Whatever others see in Ms Rooney’s Style and intent eludes me entirely. Is this sordid tale of an intense Electra Complex typical of her oeuvre? If so, I intend to avoid any more of her work in the interests of self-preservation. It actually put me off reading for several days. And that hasn’t happened for decades.
Soraya B
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SALLY MAKE THIS A FULL NOVEL BRUH
Sam Quixote
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Preceding both of her novels (to date), Mr Salary reads like a dummy run to Sally Rooney’s debut novel, Conversations with Friends, being quite similar in premise/characters/themes: a twentysomething student falls for a thirtysomething professional - complex relationshiperies ensue. Except, this being a short story, Mr Salary doesn’t explore the complexities of such a relationship and ends before that can happen.

That said, I still really enjoyed it. The dialogue is great, it’s immediately belie
Julie Ehlers
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary-fiction
What is it about her writing that makes it so absorbing? My only complaint is that this was much too short.
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I just love her writing and her flawed characters.

This one was no different.

This is the story of a young woman and a guy in his 30s who are related but somehow ended up taking care of each other.

Flawed relationship. One falling for the other too hard. The other a bit aloof but neither rejecting the attention.

The endings are abrupt in her stories.

However, I like them.

Reading her stories is like I am watching real life people and I feel like I know their secrets and by that I know them and I ac
Hannah
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rooney is just too good.
Gumble's Yard
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Sally Rooney’s literary career started with her essay on competitive debating

But then received a considerable boost from her shortlisting for the 2017 Sunday Times/EFG Short Story Award – the “richest prize for a single short story in the English language, worth £30,000 to the winner”.

2017 was the year in which she was made Sunday Times Young Writer of the Year, was appointed editor of the Stinging Fly magazine, and published her debut novel “Conversation
Hanne
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I fucking loved this - this is my professional opinion as a bookseller.
Sara
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a short story this was pretty good - I didn't want it to end and i found the writing and the plot pretty easy to get in to!
Olivera
I am going to read everything this woman writes.
Tatevik Najaryan
The thing about Miss Sally Rooney here... I love her. Few authors can brag about it, and she can just have a huge tabloid with red letters or maybe I should do that...
Hans
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable short story. What's more or less clear to the reader from the start only becomes clear to Sukie and Nathan at the end of this tale. The tension builds up nicely to this revelation.
David J
2.5

Everyone’s been raving about Sally Rooney, so I decided to take a look at one of her short stories, “Mr Salary.” I’m not sure if that was the best approach, though, as I don’t really have anything to compare this to. I probably should’ve sought out one of her novels first, but here we are. This story centers on Sukie, her dying father with dementia, and her much older roommate Nathan (the titular Mr Salary) with whom she is in love.

The most interesting aspect of this is Rooney’s juxtaposition
Paul Fulcher
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Sally Rooney is arguably the literary star of the moment, but I can only assume I'm the wrong generation as on the strength of this and an extract from her Costa Prize winning Normal People, I've no idea why.

The story was published originally some time ago and is available in various places:

The 24 year old narrator returns from the US to Ireland where she is met at the airport by Nathan, 15 years older, with whom she
Anna Luce
★★★✰✰ 3 stars

Colour me surprised, this short story is not bad at all.
I will be the first to admit that yes, I was one of the few people who didn't fall head-over-heels in love with
Normal People
(a book which is a deliberately apathetic self-indulgent grunge-fest with as much depth as a half-empty glass of water). Perhaps I sort-of-liked Mr Salary because it is a short story...so some of Rooney's stylistic choices (such as no quotations mark and a certain narrative distance) which can become fru
Vladislava Dukhovnaya
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simple language. But difficult feelings. Beautiful story about paintful attraction. It was hard to stop reading and leave at least a part of story for later. Can’t wait to start reading the next book of the author.
Doug
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although a fairly slight early short story, it contains all the hallmarks that have made Rooney the roaring success she now is with her two novels.
Aug 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This short story feels like an exercise that led to Normal People, and is really only worth reading if you’re a Rooney fan and/or interested in the writing process.
Kobi ✿
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't usually get a lot out of short stories, but I always try my luck with them because you never know if you'll find a hidden gem and it takes not even 10 minutes to get through 35 pages, so why not give it a go? But this one... Sally Rooney knows what she's doing. There was a perfect amount of tension and character development within these pages that I really didn't want it to end, but when it did, I was satisfied. If I wasn't already interested in picking up Rooney's full length novels, I ...more
Emma
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From what I can understand I think that this short story resembles Sally Rooney’s debut novel, Conversations with Friends, a book that I still have to read. Hopefully I'll get to it soon.
Even though the story was short and so it could not have been well developed in terms of plot and characters I found myself very interested in what was going on. The writing style of the author is great and I enjoyed it very much.
Fatma
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
"In chronic leukemia, the cells can mature partly but not completely, the website said. These cells may look normal, but they are not."

It's a very short story, but one that's nevertheless filled with nuance, with individual particularities, and with characters who perfectly toe the line between being knowable and being enigmatic. I've only ever read one other work by Sally Rooney, but I can already tell you that this short story is just Classic Sally Rooney.
Konstantin
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Short and sweet enough. Still not convinced I want to read her novels, though.
Katie Long
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saved this for as long as I could because I knew it would only make me more desperate for a new novel. And yep, I was right.
♡ gillian
I've come to a point in my life where I would read anything Sally Rooney writes.
Lily ☁️
I love Sally Rooney’s writing so much, there really are no words in existence that could do that love justice.

// buddy re-read with my Sally-Rooney-adoring-soulmate <3

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | TumblrBloglovin’
Mridula Gupta
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
"My love for him felt so total and so annihilating that it was often impossible for me to see him clearly at all."

Sukie moves in with Nathan in order to continue her education. With a dead mother and a difficult father, she only has Nathan to call her own. She believes Nathan is the only person who will mourn for her if she is suddenly found dead. Years later, her father is diagnosed with Leukemia and Sukie is visiting him in the hospital. This leads to another encounter with Nathan and represse
Sarah Davies
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't stop thinking about this.
Lucy Dacus
Apr 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Too brief to care about any of the characters, but her other two were slow burns for me, so I'm sure this one would've been too if went on longer.

• Paradise
  • Exciting Times
  • Terrific Mother
  • Come Rain or Come Shine
  • Cosmopolitan
  • Vad vi pratar om när vi pratar om kärlek
  • Mary Ventura and the Ninth Kingdom
  • The Shielding of Mrs Forbes
  • Det skulle vara förbjudet att finna sig
  • The Victim
  • Mrs Fox
  • Expectation
  • The Lydia Steptoe Stories
  • The Forester's Daughter
  • The Cheater's Guide to Love
  • Daughters of Passion
  • Three Types of Solitude
Sally Rooney was born in 1991 and lives in Dublin, where she graduated from Trinity College. Her work has appeared in Granta, The Dublin Review, The White Review, The Stinging Fly, and the Winter Pages anthology.