Start by marking “Mr Salary” as Want to Read:
Mr Salary

Mr Salary

My love for him felt so total and so annihilating that it was often impossible for me to see him clearly at all. Years ago, Sukie moved in with Nathan because her mother was dead and her father was difficult, and she had nowhere else to go. Now they are on the brink of the inevitable.

Sally Rooney is one of the most acclaimed young talents of recent years. With her minute a
Published February 3rd 2019 by Faber & Faber (first published April 26th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Mr Salary, please sign up.
Kesia a little more digging and I could answer this myself, for anyone else: http://lithub.com/a-prodigal-daughter...

Sam Quixote
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Preceding both of her novels (to date), Mr Salary reads like a dummy run to Sally Rooney’s debut novel, Conversations with Friends, being quite similar in premise/characters/themes: a twentysomething student falls for a thirtysomething professional - complex relationshiperies ensue. Except, this being a short story, Mr Salary doesn’t explore the complexities of such a relationship and ends before that can happen.

That said, I still really enjoyed it. The dialogue is great, it’s immediately belie
Lee
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Now I'm completely out of Rooney. Maybe if I offered to help her out, do her chores and stuff, to free up more time, the next one might be ready next year? And instead of payment I could get a sneek peak of chapters as they're written? Is this coming over a bit Annie Wilkes?
Soraya B
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SALLY MAKE THIS A FULL NOVEL BRUH
Julie Ehlers
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary-fiction
What is it about her writing that makes it so absorbing? My only complaint is that this was much too short.
Gumble's Yard
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Sally Rooney’s literary career started with her essay on competitive debating

But then received a considerable boost from her shortlisting for the 2017 Sunday Times/EFG Short Story Award – the “richest prize for a single short story in the English language, worth £30,000 to the winner”.

2017 was the year in which she was made Sunday Times Young Writer of the Year, was appointed editor of the Stinging Fly magazine, and published her debut novel “Conversation
Hanne
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I fucking loved this - this is my professional opinion as a bookseller.
Paul Fulcher
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Sally Rooney is arguably the literary star of the moment, but I can only assume I'm the wrong generation as on the strength of this and an extract from her Costa Prize winning Normal People, I've no idea why.

The story was published originally some time ago and is available in various places:

The 24 year old narrator returns from the US to Ireland where she is met at the airport by Nathan, 15 years older, with whom she
Sofia
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Εθιστικό ως προς την ροή αλλά στο τέλος κάτι μου έλειψε. Δεν μπορώ να εντοπίσω τι ακριβώς ήταν αυτό αλλά έμεινα λίγο μετέωρη. Απο περιέργεια πάντως θα ψάξω και το άλλο της βιβλίο.
Doug
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although a fairly slight early short story, it contains all the hallmarks that have made Rooney the roaring success she now is with her two novels.
Emma
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From what I can understand I think that this short story resembles Sally Rooney’s debut novel, Conversations with Friends, a book that I still have to read. Hopefully I'll get to it soon.
Even though the story was short and so it could not have been well developed in terms of plot and characters I found myself very interested in what was going on. The writing style of the author is great and I enjoyed it very much.
Vivek Tejuja
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
March 2019 has been a slow reading month. This is only the 4th read and I know I will also catch up. It’s okay to take it easy sometimes. It is just fine to read at the pace you wish to. So I then decided to read the Faber Stories (there are 20 of them, I own about 13), one by one, and this is the first that I read today.

And just like that perspective shifts. And just like that Sally Rooney writes a short story that has the capacity to pierce and make you wonder about circumstances of falling i
Sarah Davies
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't stop thinking about this.
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Available to read here: https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/bo...

This short story by Rooney is a quick but worthwhile read, and I noticed similarities in style with both of her novels. Although it has made me even more impatient for her next novel!
Fatma
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
"In chronic leukemia, the cells can mature partly but not completely, the website said. These cells may look normal, but they are not."

It's a very short story, but one that's nevertheless filled with nuance, with individual particularities, and with characters who perfectly toe the line between being knowable and being enigmatic. I've only ever read one other work by Sally Rooney, but I can already tell you that this short story is just Classic Sally Rooney.
Callum McLaughlin
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I was starting to feel like the only person in the bookish community yet to try author-of-the-moment, Sally Rooney. Seeing that she had a short story published as part of the recent Faber Stories series (small and inexpensive volumes released to mark their 90th anniversary), I jumped at the chance to sample her narrative voice. Having now done so, I fully understand the hype.

Being so brief, I won’t go into any specifics regarding plot. But I will say that I was greatly impressed by Rooney’s dece
Hubert
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
This short story has most probably be part of the development of the novel “Conversations with friends”. Sally Rooney certainly has writing abilities and is very much focusing on young adults coming out of their teenage years. Sexuality and emotional turmoil take centre stage here. Very quick to read and even faster to forget. I really don’t grasp all the media frenzy around this author...
Harry McDonald
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think without the space of a novel and the room it gives characters to be ridiculous, I was forced to take Rooney's characters here SERIOUSLY and I didn't like that. I enjoy her writing as comedy - this ain't it.
Marko
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Halapljivo sam progutao ove 33 stranice i sada se bacam na njezin roman prvijenac, "Conversations with Friends".
Mariana Ferreira
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Simply brilliant. Even if it's so short, it warms and breaks your heart with its gut-wrenching sincerity. I see now why people love Rooney so much; I'll have to pick up her novels.
Sasha Haasnoot
MAKE THIS A FULL STORY GURL
Marcus Hobson
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sally Rooney is the writer of the moment, with her second novel ‘Normal People’ being longlisted for the Man Booker prize and winning the Costa Book Award and being named ‘Irish Book of the Year’. This short story was published in Granta in 2016 and then shortlisted in the Sunday Times Short Story Competition.

I like the way this story works. It is a snapshot of a number of lives intersecting at a moment in time. Imagine a panorama photo which takes in several different people and scenes at once,
Natalia Albin
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ugh, Sally Rooney. Yes, that is how I'm starting this review because she is very quickly becoming my favourite contemporary author. Everything she writes is captivating through it's rough realness - through the idea that really, what we read is like a conversation with a friend (fitting name for her debut, to be honest).

I think this is a brilliant short story, it's rounded and stylish and just enough to make you want to stay in their world for at least 50 more pages. The relationship between th
Odette Knappers
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Dankzij Goodreadsreviews kwam ik er achter dat dit korte verhaal online gratis beschikbaar is: https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/bo...

De schrijfstijl is precies wat ik ook zo fijn vond aan Gesprekken met vrienden. Het onderwerp is nog steeds niet denderend, maar voor een kort verhaal goed uitgewerkt, en met personages met karakter. Knap gedaan.

Het einde voelt alleen voor mij een beetje abrupt. Niet eens afgeraffeld, het houdt gewoon ergens op, zonder me een goed afsluitend gevoel te geven. Dat
Ylenia
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 ⭐

I liked this one more than her longer fiction. It still left me with nothing, though. I generally enjoy her prose & style, but her fiction always leaves me with nothing more than beautiful paragraphs.
Keriann Davey
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
ILookBook 2 for the Popsugar Reading Challenge: Read a book with a two word title.

I mean I enjoyed this but it was a short story so there wasn't much to it, however I did feel for Suki and had a little crush on Nathan myself.
Jaclyn Crupi
A short story about a pretty messed up relationship while we wait for book three.
Gladys Elskens
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'My love for him felt so total and so annihilating that it was often impossible for me to see him clearly at all.'

This story touched my soul. Some bits were so relatable that they made me slightly uncomfortable. I loved it!
Andy Malcolm
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read over a half pint, that's how short it is. Hilarious and heart breaking in equal measure. Masterpiece of a short story.
Victoria Maria
Well written and is a great pace for a short story. Somehow though, I didn’t really like it.

The main character, as a 19 year old, moves in with a successful man in his 30’s who is meant to act as a Temporary caregiver. Their relationship is awkward because it carries an unfair power dynamic and is surrounded by sexual undertones.

I’m definitely the odd one out here but this felt uncomfortable. If that was the point all along, then Sally Rooney did a fantastic job!
  • Mary Ventura and the Ninth Kingdom
  • Mrs Fox
  • The Skeleton's Holiday
  • The Missing Girl
  • Queenie
  • Come Rain or Come Shine: Faber Stories
  • Το αμάρτημα της μητρός μου
  • Varieties of Exile
  • The Duke in His Domain
  • The Problem that Has No Name
  • Changeling (The Oddmire #1)
  • The Three Electroknights
  • A Coyote Columbus Story
  • The Vigilante
  • Fame
  • I Love You; I Just Can't Tell You
  • Beauty Sleep
  • A Feast of Sorrows
Sally Rooney was born in 1991 and lives in Dublin, where she graduated from Trinity College. Her work has appeared in Granta, The Dublin Review, The White Review, The Stinging Fly, and the Winter Pages anthology.