Start by marking “There Goes the Hood: Views of Gentrification from the Ground Up” as Want to Read:
There Goes the Hood: Views of Gentrification from the Ground Up

There Goes the Hood: Views of Gentrification from the Ground Up

There Goes the 'Hood analyzes the experience of gentrification for residents of two predominantly black New York City neighbourhoods. It thereby adds an important yet often overlooked perspective to debates on gentrification -- the residents of formerly disinvested neighbourhoods themselves. Their perspectives suggest that gentrification is neither entirely threatening nor ...more
Published June 16th 2006 by Temple University Press

To ask other readers questions about There Goes the Hood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Goes the Hood

Sidik Fofana
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
SIX WORD REVIEW: A balanced depiction of urban renewal.
Elise
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an assigned text for a class I took on urban education, and takes a close look at gentrification in two NYC neighborhoods, Harlem and Clinton Hill. I currently live in the latter, and it certainly was unsettling to see my apartment (and the coffee shop across the street) not only mentioned as an example of neighborhood change, but pictured! But, one of Freeman's central arguments is that gentrification is not either all negative or all positive--some changes can be good for all resident ...more
victoria
This book looked at what gentrification means to residents in two NYC neighborhoods. I found it very interesting to see unexpected perspectives as well as very relevant for anyone because the processes discussed in this book are happening everywhere -- this book focuses on interviews so gives some richness to the issues which are usually only described in academic research or newspapers.
Doug
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Since I've been contemplating urban planning as a profession, I decided I should research gentrification. After all, gentrification could be a harm urban planners cause, however indirectly, in their work. Author Lance Freeman is a professor of urban planning at Columbia University and moreover is black and lives in Clinton Hill. Freeman lays out the goal of more fully considering the perspectives of the poor residents of gentrifying ghettoes since they are frequently regarded as victims soon to ...more
Cassie Steiner
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Throughout the book, the "complex" view of gentrification as having both good and bad elements is touted as some revelation - however, I think that it comes off as lazy. It is obvious that most contentious issues have complicated nuances; it would have been more compelling for the author to take a stance or to have a clear conclusion. That being said, there was a lot of great research done, which really makes the book worth reading.
Mk
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book is written from a sociology/ urban planning/ anthropological framework, none of which are disciplines I have a ton of interest or background in. The book is a mix of social theory, urban planning theory and interviews. Freeman talks to people living in two gentrifying neighborhoods in NYC and quotes them extensively. However, I often found his discussions of the people he interviewed somewhat suspect.

The book is not what you want to read if you're looking for a scathing critique of ge
Alissa
Mar 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Gentrification always comes across as a pejorative term, so it's such a welcome change (particularly as someone who is sometimes accused of gentrifying her own neighborhood) to read something even-handed and balanced.

Some other reviewers suggest that we need a further discussion of redlining/urban renewal programs of the 1950s onwards, but honestly I've read so much along those lines and I'm sure you could get a more nuanced portrait elsewhere (particularly from William Julius Wilson or Jane Jac
Adelaide
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
One aspect of this book that I enjoyed more than expected was learning more about the history of Harlem beyond the Renaissance. At one point, the expected lifespan for a man in Harlem was lower than that of a man in Bangladesh. That's shocking and not something I learned in school. Besides that, it was fascinating to hear perspectives on gentrification from long-time residents. It's something I'd like to hear in East Palo Alto, too, where there are many similar forces at work. These interviews w ...more
nina
Dec 24, 2007 rated it liked it
This book looks at qualitative interviews with long residents of two gentrifying areas in New York City - Harlem and Clinton Hill. Author Lance Freeman provides a historic context of each neighborhood and how that history plays into neighborhood perspectives and opinions. Freeman definitely turns some of the prior notions of gentrification on its head in this book. The topic is of great interest, so it's a shame that it was not written in a more engaging fashion... I definitely had to force myse ...more
River
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gentrification
The case studies from New York City are interesting, as are the transcripts of conversations with the residents. Overall though this book basically can be summarized as the author making the argument that gentrification benefits some people and hurts other people. They never really delve into what exactly this means and they seem more interested in using their research to "complicate" existing literature on gentrification than actually digging into the complex ways the process functions.
Asta
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
There Goes The Hood is an interesting qualitative look at the impact and perceptions of gendrification on the residents of Harlem & Clinton Hill in New York City and Brooklyn respectively. The writing is academic and a little disjointed as the author will refer back to earlier interviews and have to qualify the interviewee all over again. If you are interested in understanding the perceptions of gendrifications from the community level this is a must read.
Joolie
May 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
really engaging book on gentrification in two neighborhoods in NYC (Clinton Hill, and Harlem) but from the view of the residents both long-time and new arrivals. Interviews done by sociologist and black resident of NYC, lance freeman asks the questions: what does gentrification BRING to a neighborhood? what does it eliminate? for whom? in real life terms. a bit dense as far as sociological jargon but excellent to read on a plane!
Zovig
Jan 06, 2011 added it
Ethnographic study of gentrification in two historically black NYC neighborhoods. Sociological in methodology. Basically outlines some of the major theories of gentrification's effects and shows how his interviews support or contradict. In the end, mainly says that gentrification is a complicated process that has good and bad points, especially for African Americans. Last chapter was policy suggestions.
Danielle
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Really interesting, sociological read on gentrification - considers a lot of the complexities, breaks down the attitudes, social implications of the trend.. Lance Freeman has a background in urban housing policy - and looks at the issue from a different angle.
Lin Kudla
Jun 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
I read this for a paper in one of my classes last semester. Good material; however, kind of nothing new. It was meant to be a spin on gentrification, but it seems almost as if it were case stories proving what should be common knowledge. Not bad overall.
Lance Freeman
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote so of course I am biased.
Lisa
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
There is quite a bit here worth thinking about. One quibble: the man could use some proofreading back up!
Heather
May 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent resource about opinions about gentrification. Really well done.
Katie
Feb 11, 2009 marked it as to-read
YESSSSSSSSS! I have been waiting to cross paths with a book like this. Such relevant and necessary subject matter. Can't wait to read it.
Lenny
Jan 19, 2016 added it
the personal stories are extremely important - takes a personal-based approach to the discourse on gentrification.
Ian Valentine
Jun 29, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The New Urban Frontier: Gentrification and the Revanchist City
  • Black on the Block: The Politics of Race and Class in the City
  • Stuck in Place: Urban Neighborhoods and the End of Progress toward Racial Equality
  • Great American City: Chicago and the Enduring Neighborhood Effect
  • Total Chaos: The Art and Aesthetics of Hip-Hop
  • American Babylon: Race and the Struggle for Postwar Oakland
  • Yo' Mama's Disfunktional!: Fighting the Culture Wars in Urban America
  • Thinking Class: Sketches from a Cultural Worker
  • The Long Shadow: Family Background, Disadvantaged Urban Youth, and the Transition to Adulthood
  • The Invention of Brownstone Brooklyn: Gentrification and the Search for Authenticity in Postwar New York
  • In Our Hands: A Plan to Replace the Welfare State