Start by marking “Invisible (Invisible #1)” as Want to Read:
Invisible (Invisible #1)

Invisible

(Invisible #1)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  25,888 ratings  ·  2,538 reviews
Everyone thinks Emmy Dockery is crazy. Obsessed with finding the link between hundreds of unsolved cases, Emmy has taken leave from her job as an FBI researcher. Now all she has are the newspaper clippings that wallpaper her bedroom, and her recurring nightmares of an all-consuming fire.

Not even Emmy's ex-boyfriend, field agent Harrison "Books" Bookman, will believe her th
Published June 23rd 2014 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Invisible, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tristin
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Candace I love the Woman's Murder Club series. Can't wait for the next book to come out! Sail, Along Came a Spider and Private were really good Patterson…moreI love the Woman's Murder Club series. Can't wait for the next book to come out! Sail, Along Came a Spider and Private were really good Patterson books also. Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas is the only non mystery book of his that I have read. It is also worth the read.(less)

·  25,888 ratings  ·  2,538 reviews

Phrynne
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
This was a great read, one of those books it is impossible to put down until the very last, totally satisfying, page. Admittedly the main character was a total idiot and I honestly could not understand what Bookman saw in her, but it all made for a really good story with a very dramatic finale.
I can always rely on Patterson for a good, escapist mystery. This one was co written with David Ellis and it was very well done. Recommended if you enjoy lots of action, many dead bodies and edge of your
Brenda
Emmy Dockery had lost her sister Marta to a house fire eight months previously, a fire the authorities had called accidental. But Emmy was convinced Marta’s death wasn’t an accident; she was an FBI analyst and because she was consumed by grief had been put on indefinite leave. Emmy in the meantime had been researching house fires right across the US, doing the leg work on her own as no-one within the FBI would believe her claims.

As more and more deaths continued to occur, always a house fire, a
Vicki Elia
Audiobook Review
3 1/2 Stars

Dear James Patterson et al:
Let's get this over right away - STOP the stupid music in your audiobooks. You and your production editor may think that this adds 'mystique' or 'character' or a 'third voice' to the production. No. IT DRIVES AUDIO LISTENERS INSANE! Here's the scoop -- in case none of you have ever listened to an audiobook -- the reader is creating their own scenes, character portraits and drama as they listen to the book. They do not need the remedial aid of
Lilli
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to love a book when you hate the protagonist.
Wendy
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It kept me guessing the whole time. As I said once before though about James Patterson's co-authored books I definitely give all the credit to David Ellis. I'm getting ready to buy Mr. Ellis's first book he published on his own.
ItsAboutTheBook
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2shay
Review can be read at It's About The Book

I am going to just jump right in and say that this book scared the hell out of me!

Patterson and Ellis have written the most terrifying villain since Hannibal Lector first gave me nightmares years ago. It was chilling! It. Was. Delicious!

This book made me remember late nights with the covers pulled up to my chin, knowing the next scene on the screen was going to make me scream! Lovely, scary story.

Emmy is going right to the top of my favorite heroines
Sanda
I remember reading Patterson in the early days of Alex Cross novels. I loved the pacing and twists and turns the stories would take. Though maybe not literary masterpieces they were the kind of books I had a hard time putting down. Over the years something has changed - part of me feels that it is Patterson's writing in combination with the fact that there are so many excellent suspense/thriller books out there. In any case I knew exactly what I was getting myself into. I needed something fairly ...more
Alexander Will
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this one. It was nice to read another stand alone Patterson novel and know that there won't be a sequel so anything, literally anything, can happen.

And it did.

I thought the character of Emmy was awesome, however I wasn't entirely a fan of Books the whole time. At one point, well, let's just say I had my doubts.

The twist at the end really got me! I loved it and I hope he returns to write more stand alone novels like this instead of rewriting the same basic story over and over again in his
Tina
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Niki
Aug 25, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
I absolutely hated Emmy. Her interactions with everyone in this book made me dislike her more and more until the last quarter of the book when I contemplated casting it aside. The way Emmy and the other investigators came to their conclusions was not convincing. I will not read another book that features her. This is my first James Patterson novel. I have heard such good things about him that I was excited to start this book. I am so disappointed. I listened to the audible. Maybe the reader is t ...more
Tânia Tanocas
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
4.5*
Todo o livro é inteiramente compulsivo, com a parte final a alcançar o êxtase total, só não leva as 5*, porque a determinado momento achei a protagonista (Emmy) uma autêntica “tia de Cascais”, com tiques de quero, posso e mando. Mas não deixem de ler, a pesquisa elaborada para nos apresentar os factos sobre mortes “invisíveis” são de colocar qualquer um de boca aberta e com os cabelos em pé.

Opinião aqui:
jv poore
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
I did not plan to read this book in a day, it just happened that way.
Sofia Calsy
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally James Patterson is back! This was written just like his books that he wrote in the beginning of his career. I loved
it, it was deep and dark and had such a twisting storyline. It shocked me in every way and I had to physically make myself
put the book down so i didn't finish it in a day. I am going to consider looking into David Ellis and his books because this
also could be a good book based on his contribution as well. Wished they elaborated a little bit more in the ending..but overall
Kay
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I thought this book was fantastic. It had all the ingredients of a first class mystery and was quick to read. Or at least I couldn't put it down! I will be looking for the Co author's books from now on. Patterson did good by putting his name on this one. Usually you don't know what you are getting with one of his 'shared' books. They can be anywhere from bad to great and I do think this was one of the best.
Stacy
I wanted to give this 4 stars, due to the action and suspense, but I have to deduct a star for the annoying main character.

At first, Emmy is a dedicated FBI analyst with dreadful people skills. She's rude, selfish, unappreciative, jealous, and naive. Okay, I can deal with some of that, as she is the relative of a crime victim. But when she *twice* runs into a crime scene against orders (remember, she's a civilian, not an agent!) and risked the lives of others, I really wanted her to suffer the c
Tim
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The ending almost saved this story and does to some extent. There is too much cutesy play in character relationships that undermine this novel. I would not have rated it this high except for the ending. 5 of 10 stars
Maria
Dentro dos livros policiais, os que mais gosto são os que envolvem serial killers. Gosto de perceber o que se passa pela cabeça de um assassino em série e saber o que o motiva a matar desenfreadamente.

Em Invisível a dupla James Patterson e David Ellis, a mesma do livro A Amante, publicado recentemente pela Topseller, fez-me criar empatia com o livro logo no início, o que para mim não é muito normal. Reconheço que até me envolver na narrativa o início dos livros muitas vezes se torna entediante.

N
Marleen
Feb 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: james-patterson
This felt more like a bad episode of Criminal Minds than a great read. I expected more smart writing, more excitement, more gravitas, and I was sorely disappointed. There wasn't much content to this so-called thriller/detective story, except the many pages that were narrated by the serial killer, which added little or no quality to it. Personally, I'm sick and tired of this format where half of a book is from the bad guy's perspective. There's no plus side. It borders the unhealthy, IMO.
As for t
Xana
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tinha uma "alapata" com o Patterson, confesso. Não gostei muito do Alex Cross, então pensava que era autor a pôr de parte. Depois de ler o casa da morte, fiquei com muita curiosidade de ler algo mais!!
Este foi uma surpresa mesmo boa, um livro com um ritmo super acelerado, com pouquíssima palha, bem engendrado e, só desconfiei daquele final, quase quase no fim!!
Gostei mesmo muito e estou com vontade de ler mais estórias do Patterson :)
Jeanie
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-fave, thriller
”Our subject has committed unspeakable acts of torture and managed to remain completely invisible”.

I have to start out by saying this thriller has raised the bar of all thrillers I have read. Finding the invisible is what makes this such a page turner.

Former FBI Analyst Agent Emmy Dockery is consumed by the death of her sister. A death that appeared accidental by fire in her bed. Being the Analyst that Emmy is, it does not add up and she is determined to find the truth of her sister’s death. She
Marianne
Invisible is a stand-alone novel by prolific American author, James Patterson. It is (co-) written by David Ellis. When Emily Dockery’s twin sister Marta died in a fire, she refused to believe it was an accident. As an FBI research analyst, she began to research similar fires and became convinced that there was a serial killer on the loose. Unfortunately, no one else agreed: not her boss with his wandering hands; not her ex-fiancé, Harrison (Books) Bookman; not the local police; and not her grie ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dtb-book
It has been forever since I read a really good thriller and even longer since I have picked up a Patterson book. When you combine the two however, you know you are in for a treat.

What can I say about this that won't give anything away?

How about that there were so many tense moments, so many twists and turns and so much of the unexpected that I couldn't help but be drawn to it. I couldn't help but want to read every single page of it. This is one of the few Patterson mysteries that I have read i
Karen B.
Wow! This is the best Patterson book I have read in years! The last few years I haven't been reading his books because they lacked something but this was a real thriller I found hard to put down.
Emmy is a FBI research analyst who recently lost her sister to a house fire. She begins to suspect that the fire wasn't random and that it was really planned by a serial killer. The fire investigators and medical examiners can't find anything to indicate murder but Emmy is like a dog with a bone who won'
Gary
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a refreshing change from some of the very disappointing reads that have been released recently under the James Patterson brand. I was getting very close to stopping reading his novels completely due to the poor books he has released lately under different guises. This book is like going back to the early books which were a big success with their short punchy chapters and plenty of action. Again this book is co-written so it is difficult to tell what input Patterson had exactly but neverthel ...more
Catherine
Jul 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was terrible! I generally enjoy Patterson, but this book was not at all enjoyable. Despite an exceptionally interesting premiss, the story was flat and the characters unappealing. I flipped through to the end to find out whodunnit and never looked back. Another author asked, "is James Patterson an author or a brand?" and this question is worth asking after such a disappointing read.
Lawrence
This was another thrill-riding book by James Patterson. I highly recommend it to all JP fans. All I can say is..."Enjoy the ride".
Meg Harrison
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crushed this book in 2 mornings of coffee and sun lounging. Really good, an extremely thrilling read and then a delicate twist at the end.
Monnie
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bashing prolific author James Patterson has become almost an art form over the past couple of years, and I freely admit to being among those who haven't had good things to say about most of what I've read of late. It has reached a point, in fact, when I pick "his" books by co-author because experience has taught me that some of those folks are better than others.

That said, I don't recall reading any co-written with David Ellis - somehow I skipped the fairly recent Mistress and Guilty Wives. But
Tempo de Ler
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gostei muito deste livro pela forma gradual com que vai aumentando o ritmo enquanto o enredo se torna cada vez mais interessante, deixando o leitor desesperado pela conclusão.

Embora me tenha apegado instantaneamente à heroína da história (Emma) devido às dificuldades que tem para convencer o FBI a investigar uma série de incêndios de origem aparentemente não criminosa e que têm vindo a deixar um rasto de vítimas mortais, incluindo a irmã de Emma, levei algum tempo a interessar-me pela história p
Mariana
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Foi o primeiro livro que li do autor e amei!
A história mantém-nos presos desde o início e nunca desilude. E quando achamos que as coisas vão acontecer de uma determinada maneira, o autor dá-nos grande nó na cabeça.
Os capítulos são pequenos, o que torna a leitura rápida e fluída.
Adorei mesmo o livro, vou tentar decididamente ler mais livros dele e espero que sejam tão bons como este.
Book club : Invisible. * Spoiler Alert* 6 10 Mar 13, 2019 06:23PM
Around the Year i...: Invisible, by James Patterson 1 5 Oct 01, 2018 04:35PM
Crazy for Young A...: ✔Pair K: Vicki and Nicole (February 2017) 42 30 Feb 07, 2017 09:52PM
Who was the guy on tape at the bar? 4 83 Feb 09, 2016 09:00AM
anyone else read ? 8 38 Jan 19, 2016 02:00PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #14 - Invisible 1 2 Apr 13, 2015 05:51AM
  • Everything to Lose
  • The Wrong Man (Jason Kolarich, #3)
  • Sight Unseen (Kendra Michaels, #2)
  • Killer (Alex Delaware, #29)
  • Resistant (Dr. Lou Welcome, #3)
  • The Lost Girls (Lucy Kincaid, #11)
  • Fear Nothing (Detective D.D. Warren, #7)
  • Slices of Night (Taylor Jackson; Maggie O'Dell, #9.5; Stacy Killian, #4.5; The Malones, #5.5)
  • Skin Deep (Simeon Grist Mystery, #3)
  • Sinister (Wyoming, #1)
  • Burrows
  • Afraid Of The Dark (Jack Swyteck, #9)
  • Sweepers
  • Hunt the Dragon (SEAL Team Six, #6)
  • Please Don't Tell
  • Lethal
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo

Invisible (2 books)
  • Unsolved (Invisible #2)
“Purple is such a twisted, complex color - it conveys the passion of red, the sadness of blue, the depravity of black. Purple is neither happy nor sad. It is pain and despair but longing, too - fiery desire, beaten and bruised but struggling onward, determined to overcome, to move forward rather than retreat.” 11 likes
“You must do today what nobody else will do, so tomorrow you can accomplish what others can’t.” 10 likes