Start by marking “The Song of Troy” as Want to Read:
The Song of Troy

The Song of Troy

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  2,124 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
The tragic and terrible drama of the war between Greeks and Trojans, the long siege of Troy, and the impact of one woman's beauty on the fate of two nations, is played out again in this dazzling novel based on Homer's Iliad.

Here is the enchanting Helen, who we first meet as a spoiled teenager and whose passion for the handsome, reckless Paris leads to the betrayal of her h
Published August 3rd 1998 by Orion (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Song of Troy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Song of Troy

Becky
This is the kind of historical fiction that I love to read. I've always had a passing interest in mythology, but sometimes it can be so dry! "So & So, son of Such & Such, did A, B, C, & D, had son Whatchamacallit with Whatshername who was the daughter of Whosthatguyagain?..." That's one of the reasons I've put off reading the Bible. Too many begats.

But McCullough manages to work all of the necessary begats in, while at the same time still moving the story along, and further making y
Ana
Feb 06, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology
I love Greek mythology. I love ancient things. I love everything that has to do with Troy. I even love the movie, despite its inaccuracies.

troy_1

troy_2

gr_ka_mitologija_troy_city

Scheming deities, doomed lovers and epic battles. That's my jam.

90cd0ff61bc8a0b7767e9f9168ce9d17

Achilles_Briseis

Looking forward to seeing Achilles, Agamemnon, Menelaos, Diomedes, Aias, Odysseus, Nestor, Helen, Patroklos, Aeneas, Hektor, Andromache, Hekuba, Cassandra, Paris, Briseis, Zeus, Hera, Athena, Aphrodite, Apollo, Artemis, Ares, Hades, Hermes, Poseidon, Thetis and the rest of the gang.
Mariana
Feb 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is interested in the story of the Trojan War - a must read!
Song of Troy is, probably, the best recollection of the Trojan War I've read so far. Colleen McCullough, with her stupend writing and style, presents us with this book on a well-known subject which, nevertheless, manages to keep the reader's interest from first page to last.

Colleen masterfully lays down the story of the most famous war of the ancient world, all the while bringing a new scope to the narrative, as each chapter is written through the eyes of a different character: the beautiful, bu
Célia
A Canção de Tróia é um livro que me chegou muito bem recomendado, não só por colegas bloggers em cuja opinião confio bastante, mas também porque o meu pai leu-o e gostou muito. Apesar de o ter fisicamente, li a versão em inglês: primeiro, porque não o tenho comigo e depois porque a ideia de pegar num livro que o meu pai folheou me enche de uma tristeza infinita. Não me perguntem porquê, o luto tem destas coisas.

Sabia algumas coisas sobre a famosa Guerra de Tróia: uns pedaços de sabedoria popular
Mel Bossa
Honestly, this is a travesty.

Of course, I understand that The Iliad and its chorus of fascinating characters have inspired hundreds of authors and poets across the centuries and that they have all interpreted in their own way, but this wasn't an interpretation or an hommage. This was, for me, a desecration of Homer's epic poem and I can't believe it got published.

What's more disturbing to me is that this wasn't written by an amateur who didn't know anything about the work or its time period. No
Artemas
This was my first read from historical fiction heavyweight Colleen McCullough. The story of the Trojan War isn't anything new by a longshot, but McCullough presents the tale through multiple POV's from both sides of the conflict, creating an interesting experience. I really enjoyed this book even though, like the siege of Troy itself, it started to wear me down by the end.

3.5 stars rounded up to a 4

Get your copy here: https://amzn.to/2JZ2c6h
Vilja / Kirjaneito
Todella kiinnostava kirja! Antiikki-huumassani päädyin lukemaan tämän heti Akhilleen laulun jälkeen, mikä ei ehkä ollut Troijan laululle edullisin vaihtoehto. Päädyin jatkuvasti vertailemaan kirjoja keskenään ja vaikka teokset ovat keskenään todella erilaisia, eikä niitä varsinaisesti voi asettaa paremmuusjärjestykseen, Akhilleen laulu iski enemmän tunteisiin. Siinä missä edellä mainittu on katsaus Akhilleen ja Patrokleen rakkaustarinaan, Troijan laulu käsittelee kokonaisvaltaisemmin koko Troija ...more
Neale
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With Song of Troy, McCullough attempts to bring more realism to Homer's epic poem, without losing any of it's majestic splendour. King Priam has closed off the hellespont. The trade embargo he has imposed on the Greeks is slowly starving them of tin. This is the Bronze Age, without tin the Greeks cannot make bronze, the alloy needed for armour and their weapons of war. This is the real reason that King Agamemnon rallies all of the Greek Kings to wage war on Troy.
Each of the chapters is told from
Alicja
rating: 4/5

A beautiful retelling of the Illiad. McCullough chooses to tell the tale through a variety of POVs (like Agamemnon, Hektor, Odysseus, Helen, Achilles, Paris, etc.) but it doesn't get confusing, whether it is my previous knowledge of the Illid or McCullough's writing style and strong characters filled with unique personalities (or a combination of both), I had no problem keeping track of the narrators. This style also enables us to see the conflict from all sides, to view all the chara
Deborah Pickstone

I was slow to get into this but once convinced it was my favourite version so far. I think most HF aficionados have favourite periods; I am willing to believe that, like me, they have the opposite about some periods. This is one of mine; I've read some of the classics around the story but the novels just don't attract me. It seemed a crazy event to me. However, CMcC managed to make it have logic as an event - it wasn't Helen after all but economic necessity, human nature and, to a degre
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Troijan laulu oli todella mielenkiintoista luettavaa, sillä vaikka olen tietenkin kuullut Troijan sodasta, minulla ei ollut kovin vahvaa käsitystä siitä, mitä oikeasti tapahtui. Tämä myös avasi sodan taustoja kiinnostavasti. Kirja antoi tutuille nimille, kuten Akhilleukselle, Odysseukselle ja Helenalle, kasvot.
Kandice
Jul 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was moved to tears by this book, and felt ridiculous shedding them. I knew who would live and die, and exactly how it all turned out. That's McCullough's genius, though. She gives us all the little details, history books leave out, that make us feel for, and in some instances love, or hate a character. Everyone knows Odysseus was brilliant, but we don't think about how much that brilliance would have cost him. Achilles was brave, but he could have been sweet, kind and fair alongside his ruthle ...more
Genia Lukin
Feb 02, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This is the story of the Iliad, retold by Colleen McCulough, one of the big and most meticulous historical fiction writers around.

However, this book fails to live up the the usual McCulough expectations. Her research is meticulous, as usual; she's clearly read the Iliad, dug into the history of ancient Greece, etc', but somehow, unlike in her vast and significantly superior Masters of Rome series, she fails to engage.

Her problems in this book are threefold:

She strikes a poor balance between revi
Dawn
To write a story where the end is already known and the characters are those of legend would seem to leave little for a writer to work with but McCullough has no problem making this story come alive.
Told by multiple points of view, the story could at times feel as if it was a little choppy but the different voices were distinct and interesting. Having parts of the story told by the Trojans and parts by the Greeks, gave a wonderful overview of the war from both sides.
Every writer has their own
Hyggelig
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deben darme tiempo para una reseña digna.
Nina
Tämä on neljäs kerta kun luen tämän kirjan ja edelleen, yhä edelleen tämä pysyy yhtenä ehdottomista suosikeistani. Troijan laulu on täysin minun kirjani.

Vaikka tarinaltaan tämä kirja ei olekaan ihmeellinen, sen taikuus on täysin rakenteessa. Colleen McCullough on sitonut yhteen ällistyttävän määrän materiaalia, kertojia, tapahtumia ja tapahtumapaikkoja ja onnistunut tekemään niistä häkellyttävän yhtenäisen kuvaelman yhdestä antiikin ajan merkittävimmistä sodista.

Tämä kirja kertoo monen vuosikymm
Emily
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In general, I did like this take on the Trojan tale, but I have a couple of criticisms.

The narration device of having a different viewpoint in each chapter is one of my favourites, but in this case it was often difficult to tell one from the other. I think having fewer voices, more clearly defined, would have made the story immeasurely better.

My other criticism is that the author clearly has her favourites. Achilles and Odysseus have been firmly manipulated, with portions of the story greatly c
Margarida
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extraordinário livro narrado na primeira pessoa por diversas personagens, iniciando-se muitos anos antes da famosa Guerra de Tróia. A excelência dos detalhes, da geografia, as peculiares características dos gregos e dos troianos, tudo contribui para esta ser uma obra imperdível. CM tem aqui o seu melhor romance.
James Burns
I would like to start out by saying, when I write a review on historical fiction, I don't like to reveal much about the story line. I want the reader to enjoy and discover the story line for themselves, if study history, legends based on history I want you to form your own opinions. That's the fun and challenge in reading historical fiction, discovering what is fiction and what is based on historical events.

This is a book about the face that launched a thousand ships. And why did the Greek kings
David Sierra
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Colleen McCullough vuelve a mostrar su dominio de la ficción histórica acercándonos esta vez a la guerra que tanto influyó en la literatura occidental. Los personajes se nos muestran cercanos, con sus dudas y flaquezas, narrándonos algunos en primera persona momentos clave de la misma historia. Helena, Aquiles, Ulises, Príamo, Héctor, y tantos, tantos iconos de la Grecia Clásica. La narración hace que la historia nos parezca verosímil, intentando unir la mitología con las realidades descubiertas ...more
Lucas
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the story of the Trojan war told in a manner more akin to today`s readers. so if you don`t have the stomach for The Iliad this could act as a nice substitute.

it is epic in scope (as it should be) beggining with the young years of the many important characters, and then after many stories set them off to the war. the war in itself is also long and with many tribulations but this is not a complaint, since the book delivers what the movie failed to.

also of interest you should see that each chapter
Anna
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really really liked this books but there were some points which prevented me from giving it 5 stars.
1) Not everyone can pull off first person narrative. She had many characters telling the story but it seemed liked it was one person just every chapter he called himself different.
2) lack of development in relationships. It just states: a loves b, b is the father of c and so on.
3) Briseis, Achilles, Patroclos triangle. So clished, of cource on person had to be the jelous one, the other — noble o
Zoe Saadia
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greatly enjoyed this novel!
Being a hardcore fan of McCullough already, I've expected much and, surprisingly, I got more.
As expected she once again succeeded in bringing to life a very ancient, and mainly forgotten, world of a legend, but she did more than this for me with the ever-changing, first-person point of view.
Deserves 5 stars in my opinion :)
Kei
Dec 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
I have two favourite stories set in Troy, and this one seems a nice choice for my First Book. The war comes to life, the characters step out of Homer and breathe - the good, the bad, and the slightly derranged - and Odyseus is my kind of hero, just a guy who wants to get the job done properly and go home.
Bookish
Oct 28, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a good story about troy
Shelves: goodreads
wow! what a great book! this author continues to dazzle me - she has always been one of my favorites! the way this story is told is unique - each "chapter" told by a different character and it all blends in beautifully! i didn't think i'd like this approach but it worked and well!
Nacho
Oct 31, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: histórica
Revisión de la Iliada despojada de factores mágicos, divinos y míticos. Los héroes, por ejemplo, son bastardos, lo que explica que sean hijos de mujer y dios. Ese punto desmitificador está bien, pero la alternancia de puntos de vista en la narración no cuaja. Se deja leer.
Darío
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Mira, yo ya tengo La Canción de Aquiles por bandera y esto me ha parecido bastante mediocre, tanto algunos datos como el estilo. Buenas descripciones pero aún así no me ha salpicado la sangre. Lo que más me ha gustado es la caracterización y que mi OTP es canon.
Para echar el rato.
Michael
May 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Very readable account of the Trojan Wars. Somehow manages to retain a level of historical gravitas and tell a rip-roaring war story at the same time.
Maria
Jun 30, 2007 rated it liked it
Good treatment of the Trojan war, but I was expecting more in terms of scope based on her Caesar series. Not epic...but a good read. Pretty down to earth in terms of the involvement of the gods.
  • The War at Troy
  • The Praise Singer
  • Homer's Daughter
  • Of Merchants & Heroes
  • God of War
  • Achilles
  • Gildenford (Norman Quartet, #1)
  • Memnon
  • The Songs of the Kings
  • The Gates of Troy (Adventures of Odysseus, #2)
  • The Light Bearer (Auriane #1)
  • The Memoirs of Helen of Troy
  • The Beacon at Alexandria
  • The House of Death (Alexander The Great Mysteries #1)
  • The Ten Thousand: A Novel of Ancient Greece
  • The Black Stone (Agent of Rome #4)
  • Alcestis
Colleen Margaretta McCullough was an Australian author known for her novels, her most well-known being The Thorn Birds and Tim.

Raised by her mother in Wellington and then Sydney, McCullough began writing stories at age 5. She flourished at Catholic schools and earned a physiology degree from the University of New South Wales in 1963. Planning become a doctor, she found that she had a violent aller
More about Colleen McCullough

• Big Breasts and Wide Hips
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
  • Mosquitoland
  • Just a Couple of Days
  • An Irish Country Love Story
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Whiz Mob and the Grenadine Kid
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    $12.99 $2.99
“Love isn't truly the body. Love is freedom to roam the heart and mind of the beloved.” 3 likes
“Beware the Greeks when they bear gifts.” 2 likes