Start by marking “Anglesey Blue (DI Tudor Manx, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anglesey Blue (DI Tudor Manx, #1)

Anglesey Blue

(DI Tudor Manx #1)

MURDER. BETRAYAL. REVENGE.

It’s not the homecoming Detective Inspector Tudor Manx was expecting, but solving the case is just the start of his problems.

Recently transferred from the London Met to the North Wales Constabulary, Detective Inspector Tudor Manx has come to Island of Anglesey hoping for a quiet life.

But his hopes are dashed whe
Published March 1st 2017 by Bloodhound Books (first published September 30th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Anglesey Blue, please sign up.

Start your review of Anglesey Blue (DI Tudor Manx, #1)
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is the first in a brand new crime series.

The setting is one that makes this crime series for me stand out on it’s own. Personally I have not read many, if any, set in Wales. The Island of Anglesey I have to say certainly added a touch or darkness as well as coldness to the whole story. The parts to do with the sea certainly sent a chill through me and made me want to snuggle up under a blanket where I was safe and warm.

There is certainly an abundance of characters in
Susan Hampson
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After working in London for a number of years, DI Tudor Manx returns to his home turf of Anglesey and a new team of detectives. It really is a matter of get to know the team as you go because what Manx thought was going to be a more even paced and steady career on the Isle isn’t quite going to plan. A phone call on a stormy night has him heading towards the harbour and the first of a calling card with a message. A man’s body has been crucified on the front of a boat with something lodged in his ...more
Mistress  #darklings
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Well, lets start at the beginning of this book. The cover. It's certainly a scroll-stopper. I'm a sucker for lighthouses and anything coast based. A brilliant image that does its' job in selling it.

This story introduces us to Tudor Manx. Manx is the usual mix of a middle aged police officer with a murky past. Recently transferred back to a police station in his old stomping ground on the island of Anglesey. Not even given time to get his feet under the table and there is an horrific murde
Terry  (TBC)
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Manx is on the case!
Gritty & good characters, getting to know the new people and looking forward to watching this series grow. It's going to get better & better & be hard to put down.
Rachel
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it is more of a very high 3.5 rounded up to a 4.

I felt the end was a bit long but when I got there I realised why it was.
roger white
Formulaic pot boiler

It is an OK read but has all the hall marks of a tv writer with one eye on a tv series on BBC Wales - it is all a bit of a Hinterland clone. Some terrible copy editing and proof reading distract from the story. A good editor could have tightened the whole thing up and made a much stronger story out of it as there is a basis of a good book here - it has been left open as planned for more books in the series so hopefully the publishers will do a better job for their author.
Karen
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: welsh-authors
Dramatic cliffs that drop down to small bays. Sandy beaches unspoiled by over-development. A few ancient monuments and megalithic tombs left behind by early settlers and Druids. The island of Anglesey in North Wales sounds like an idyllic spot doesn't it? One rather famous couple certainly thought so, making one of the island's farmhouses their first home when they could have chosen to live in a castle (the family has a few of them going spare). Prince William and his bride Kate lived there for ...more
Monica Mac
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book, the first in a series starring DI Tudor Manx.

This was a solid police procedural and I liked that Tudor Manx was a flawed human being like the rest of us. In fact, I think there is a lot more about his past history that needs to be revealed and I will enjoy reading all about it in future books. I also liked that this book was set in Wales and that local accents and the like were included in the book as well, it added to the colour of the story and gave it more
M.A. Comley
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the main character Manx Tudor, he's tenacious and has a devilish wit. I was drawn to this book because it's set in Anglesey and what's not to love about beautiful Wales, even if this is a dark, intricate tale.

Some scenes had me hiding behind my fingers at times, great characterisation and very well written throughout. A steady pace throughout and I look forward to reading more in this wonderful series.
B.A. Steadman
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
Enjoyed this debut police procedural very much. Tudor Manx, besides having a great name, is an interesting character and will develop well over the next books from Jones. To Manx, the story of the sale of 'Anglesey Blue' pills on the island will crash home in a painful and ultimately sad way. With complex characters and a believable plot, it is a recommended book.
Nicki Southwell
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Detective Tudor Manx-Williams returns to Anglesey after many years away, mainly working in London. The author paints a vivid picture of the beauty of the area.

Soon after Manx arrives, he receives a telephone call reporting a boat adrift in the harbour. There is a storm raging, so he knows that this will not be straightforward.

When he arrives on the scene, he sees that there is a body tethered to the boat. With no ID on the body, Manx realises this may well take time. Afte
Marina Sofia
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the start of this, although there were a few too many wrapping-up scenarios at the end. Humorous, lively, atmospheric description of Anglesey, with a very contemporary slant, rather than the more historical or mythical Celtic slant which I was expecting. Manx and Gwen are great characters, and overall there was a great interaction within the police team.
Joan
A pretty hefty story - very gruesome in places and with a raft of characters but I read through to the end with a lot of enjoyment.

One problem though - the formatting is a little skewed - the indents are not consistent which I found unusual. Some chapters (eg 20) have tiny, almost negligible indents, others have wide ones, and there are some whose indents vary through the chapter (eg 21). It was a little off-putting at times.

However, I look forward to the next book in the series.
Mark Tilbury
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, mystery, suspense
This is the first book by this author that I've read and I was impressed at how well his descriptions of locations blended with the plot, without sacrificing pace. The story is gritty and set somewhere the author seems to know well, as you feel transported to where the investigation is taking place.

Manx is an interesting character. I enjoyed learning about him as the book progressed. I also liked the fact that this book/series is set in Wales. It makes a nice change to have novels se
Misfits farm
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tudor Manx is back on the island after quarter of a century. He remembers his mother tongue in part but things have changed otherwise. Drugs are now a part of island life for some and when a body is found nailed to a boat things start to move in a direction no-one could have foreseen. Anglesey Blues are causing havoc. I love books where the characters come to life, either through their actions of how the book is written so we get to know them perhaps through their background or personal life, as ...more
Bethan
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
For me a slow start which quickly gathered pace. A good read but as a person whose first language is Welsh - I just wish that someone had proof read the book first - too many mistakes in the Welsh!!
Tony Parsons
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Isle of Anglesey, North Wales, England. DI Tudor Manx-Williams (Sr. Crime Scene officer, Anglesey PD) was enjoying his pint.
Anglesey Air Ambulance. 2 men had been pulled out of the water & taken to the hospital.
DI Manx-Williams was making his inquiry’s.
Frank Bingham (coxswain) was his 1st. stop.

1 male washed ashore at Town Beach, Rhosenegir. He is still alive.
Very valuable input from Frank.
PC Kevin Priddle (North Wales Constabulary) shouted but Dick Roberts (husband, fisherma
Gordon Mcghie
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Picking up a book by an author I have never read before is always a bit of a thrill for me. You can read the book blurb or you can have a story recommended by a friend, but it is not until you start to read a book for yourself that you can know if you are going to enjoy the next few hundred pages. I knew from pretty early on in Anglesey Blue that I was going to enjoy it.

First there is DI Tudor Manx, adjusting to life in Anglesey after a transfer from London (and under a bit of a clou
Denise Zendel
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recently transferred from the London Met to the North Wales Constabulary, Detective Inspector Tudor Manx has come to the Isle of Anglesey, where he grew up and still has family, hoping for a quiet life. A brutally-mutilated body is found lashed to the bow of a fishing boat, sending shockwaves through the community, and putting Manx under pressure to solve the case pronto with an inexperienced team. Max is also plagued by the cold-case disappearance of his younger sister many years ago. He feels ...more
Jessica Bronder
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tudor Manx has returned to Anglesey Island to be the local detective inspector. All he is looking for is a quiet life even though he has a past in Anglesey. But that though is shot when a man is found tied to a boat during a storm. Everyone wants him to quickly solve the murder but Manx has a crew of inexperienced officers helping him and he is worried that this might be the beginning to more murders than just a onetime affair. But then another man is discovered and a third. All three are linked ...more
Alexandra
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have had this for a while before I decided to actually read it and I am very pleased I did. The characters are very interesting, especially Manx, who has more baggage than a cargo ship. However unlike other authors Jones does not immediately go full flow into the back story but slowly gives little insights that do not detract from the main story. There is a fair amount of "heavy thinking" in the narrative from Manx, but where this normally drives me mad, I actually read it all and found it rat ...more
Suze
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/4.5*
Winter has arrived in Anglesey for DI Tudor Manx.
I really enjoyed this book and will definitely will be getting the rest of the series - book 2 Spring has already been published.
I got this book because the characters name, Manx, is my nationality so was interested in why the name and also I have distant cousins in Beaumaris.
So, a police investigation story - with lots of gruesome murders, nasty underworld characters, a plethora of sad souls at the bottom of the drug
Melanie Lewis
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
You've got to love a character called Tudor Manx; what a name! Took me a while to really get in to the book, but once I was in, I was gripped. It's well written and fast moving with appropriately convoluted characters with their own secrets and agendas. But, but, but, whilst I enjoyed all the Welsh names, maybe some help with pronunciation would be useful for those of us who don't have a clue, (Moelfre? Amlwch?). There were a lot of names, and after a while I was aggravated that I didn't belong ...more
Abbi Beattie
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A 4 star bcause it kept me glued to my seat when reading the second half which was gripping and easy to visualise which meant I was almost caught by the bullets!

A 4 star because the second half had me glued to my seat for several hours! it was gripping and very visual, so much so i was in danger of catching a bullet..I liked the police characters and imagine there is a lot of scope for their development. I found the first half harder to concentrate on but possibly because I read on kindle and p
Debbie
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So looking forward to seeing what Dylan H Jones has in store for DI Tudor Manx. I love my thriller and mystery books and was a bit dubious (as I always am) when reading a book by a new author or reading a book by an author I have not read before.

This book had me at the cover, I loved the lighthouse on the front with the mysterious storm clouds etc in the background. I also liked the setting as I don't think many books in mysteries and thrillers are set in Wales.

The characters within
David Beckler
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Let down by poor editing
Tudor Manx is a native of Anglesey who returns to the island after a stint in ‘The Met’. He has the usual run ins with superiors and his past surfaces as he investigates a brutal murder.
Potentially a gripping and fast paced story in an uncommon setting but too much unnecessary digression slowed it down. Cutting 100 or more pages would improve the book no end.
A lack of attention to detail and lack of knowledge pulled me out of the story on several occasions. For ex
Ms Kathryn Pizar
What an absolutely gripping read.

Right from the first few pages, I knew this was going to be a really great book which I was going to find very hard to put down.
Who would have thought Anglesey could be such a dangerous place to live, with drugs, guns, a wool shop, and a corrupt NSA agent. The plot was brilliant and intense, packed full of action with colourful and shady characters from the start, and in a lot of places humorous too.
I took to Manx immediately. A somewhat sad figure, with a
Nerys Roberts
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Detective Tudor Manx, Anglesey born and bred, has returned to the island after 35 years away. A body is found tied to boat during a violent storm, a local antique dealer with a sideline in dealing methadone - but who would have wanted him dead. Then the local GP is killed - placed on a bonfire in place of a guy. What is the connection between the two? The investigation leads Manx and his team to the distribution of a new form of methadone tablet and the son of a notorious gangster from Mancheste ...more
Ken Smith
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On second reading?

I enjoy reading stories based on areas I can recognise from previous visits so this story was a return to Anglesey for me, what Dylan forgot to mention was that the trees all grow in one direction beaten into submission by the prevailing winds. This is the second time I have read Anglesey Blue and I've enjoyed just as much as the first reading, it's nice to have a central character who can't race up three flights of stairs without pausing for breath makes it all more realistic
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Anglesey Murders: Unholy Island
  • Robbing the Dead (Inspector Jim Carruthers, #1)
  • Dark Corners (DCI Kenny Murrain Book 2)
  • Open Grave (DCI Jack Lambert, #1)
  • Care To Die (Inspector Jim Carruthers, #2)
  • Dark Enough to See (DCI Dani Bevans, #11)
  • Faceless (DI Rosalind Kray, #1)
  • If Fear Wins (DI Bliss, #3)
  • To Honour the Dead (Detective Chief Inspector Jack Harris, #3)
  • Dead Hill (Detective Chief Inspector Jack Harris, #1)
  • Candles and Roses (DI Alec McKay, #1)
  • Death In The Woods (Detective Hellier #1)
  • Murder on the Old Bog Road
  • Perdition (DI Munro & DS West #7)
  • Game Point (The Harrogate Crime Series Book 4)
  • Unworthy: A Chilling DS Jason Smith Thriller
  • Death Parts Us (DI Alec McKay, #2)
  • Penshaw (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #13)

DI Tudor Manx (2 books)
  • Doll Face (DI Tudor Manx, #2)