Start by marking “Finding Your Bipolar Muse: How to Master Depressive Droughts and Manic Floods and Access Your Creative Power” as Want to Read:

Do creativity and mental illness truly go hand in hand, as many people believe? Or are all creative artists a bit "crazy"? Do psychotropic medications cause creative droughts? Are suffering and deprivation necessary for creative work? Or is there a better approach? Lana Castle draws from research, interviews, surveys, and her own experience to examine what bipolar disorder ...more
Published October 2nd 2006 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Your Bipolar Muse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Your Bipolar Muse

Start your review of Finding Your Bipolar Muse: How to Master Depressive Droughts and Manic Floods and Access Your Creative Power
Debbie Hoskins
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
The cover is really cool. There's a lot of great advice in here. Like if you are in 12 step groups and need to be on medication. You need to be on medication. There is a reason why I am paying my doctor, but of course when I'm in a mood my doctor doesn't know what they're doing. There are a lot of charts, which might be great, but it got me very depressed when all I was doing was sitting on the couch reading bi-polar books.
Kathleen Garber
I bought this book on my own because I have Bipolar and I loved the idea of a positive book about the condition and using it to my advantage.

I was very impressed with the book and the amount of real life advice and study that went into this book. Although it is written for those with Bipolar, it could easily be used as a guide to tapping in to your creative side, no matter what.

The author includes TONS of information on all steps of being a creative from dealing with ideas, focusing, setting goa
Veronica
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: creatives struggling with mental illnesses
While the sections referencing technology are quite outdated now (reviewed 14 years after the book was published), it's still very helpful in the ways it specifically addresses depression and bipolar disorder and how they affect creativity and running a creative business. There are small sections that cover hiring employees, media outreach, PR, and publishing. There's a Creative Life Toolkit in the back of the book designed to help you hone in on your skills and desires. There's no one book that ...more
Michelle Stang
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
The more medical parts of the book were better than the business parts, simply because a lot of the information was outdated and didn't/couldn't explore more online resources freelance options.
Structure
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Closer to a 3.5. Covers basics like addressing gaps in resumes [been there], interpersonal relations [working on it. Found it in other tomes.]. Did help to put how much time I'm spending on stuff and the gentle reminder of how many hours a day I'm at my day job, sleeping and how little time I've carved out for creative persuits.
Sandra Lewis
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-books
it wa very informative for my bipolr. learned lot. know wht to ask dr on next visit
Rachel
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be very informative and I would recommend it to anyone with a mood disorder.
Ginny Wrightsman
Abigail Tien
Feb 27, 2013
Cherecwich
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this book I found it a excellent read because it talks about finding that creative spark to help you better manage your path..
Kristi
Tim
Sep 06, 2007
« previous 1 3 next »

• Nothing to See Here
  • Ship of Magic (Liveship Traders, #1)
  • The Bone People
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Stories of Your Life and Others
  • The Moment of Tenderness
  • If Women Rose Rooted: The Power of the Celtic Woman
  • The Topeka School
  • Enter the Aardvark
  • The Sterile Cuckoo
  • The Less People Know About Us: A Mystery of Betrayal, Family Secrets, and Stolen Identity
  • Dead Astronauts (Borne, #2)
  • Existential Kink: Unmask Your Shadow and Embrace Your Power (A method for getting what you want by getting off on what you don't)
  • The Hope Circuit: A Psychologist's Journey from Helplessness to Optimism
  • Mouthful of Birds
  • The Science of Positivity: Stop Negative Thought Patterns by Changing Your Brain Chemistry
  • Ducks, Newburyport