Start by marking “Get It Together, Delilah!” as Want to Read:
Get It Together, Delilah!

Get It Together, Delilah!

Seventeen-year-old Delilah Green wouldn't have chosen to do her last year of school this way, but she figures it's working fine. While her dad goes on a trip to fix his broken heart after her mom left him for another man, Del manages the family cafe. Easy, she thinks. But what about homework? Or the nasty posse of mean girls making her life hell? Or her best friend who won ...more
Published April 4th 2017 by Chronicle Books LLC (first published February 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Get It Together, Delilah!, please sign up.
Katelyn It was originally published in Australia as "The Flywheel," and got a new title when it was published in the USA. I read it as "Get it Together…moreIt was originally published in Australia as "The Flywheel," and got a new title when it was published in the USA. I read it as "Get it Together Delilah."(less)

Emily May
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana
It pains me how hard it is to get hold of the Aussie YA contemporaries, because every time I do, they are just so damn charming.

This book reminds me of Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, in a way. It's a feel-good story filled with friendship, an extremely likable and complex narrator and an LGBT romance. And it's full of cuteness, humour and entertainment.

I basically said this in my review of Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, but I'm glad that there are happy, uplifting books about gay teens t
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
DNF @ 40%

I really tried to finish this but it's not happening. I can't get myself to be invested in Delilah as a character at all, and I actively dislike her best friend, Charlie. The whole situation feels a bit convoluted and forced and the characters fell flat enough that they weren't motivating me to push myself through to the end. I'm super sad after how much I've been anticipating this book, but after trying for a week to get myself to pick it back up it just isn't going to happen.
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

With it's witty humour and cuteness in general, I can definitely see why Erin Gough's YA debut, The Flywheel, won The Ampersand Project. Just as some general knowledge, Melissa Keil's Life in Outer Space was the the winner from a previous year that Hardie Grant Egmont Australia picked up, so if you trust their tastes, then you should most certainly check this one out as well! I mean, seriously, who can go wrong with Aussie YA?

4 Reasons Why You Should Read The
Tatiana
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tatiana by: Melina Marchetta
Shelves: aus-nz, 2015, ya
Someone needs to publish this in the USA.

This may be my favorite YA novel with a lesbian MC. I really like her voice - self-assured and assertive. Somehow I don't come across voices like this often.

For fans of Lili Wilkinson's "Pink" and A.S. King's "Ask the Passengers."
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Thank you so much to Hardie Grant Egmont for sending this book my way! The Flywheel follows Delilah as she struggles with a lot of things while her father is away on holiday - she is struggling with her sexuality, managing the family cafe, balancing school, bullying and a whole range of other things. I'm so glad more and more books are being released that revolve around LGBTQ characters. It's so important because this is what society is like today and I believe that new literature should definit ...more
Lex Kent
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-f, ya-or-na
2 1/2 Stars. I've had this book since last year, but wanted to wait until closer to it's release date before reviewing it. This was originally the book The Flywheel, when it was published only in Australia. It is now getting a new release under the name of Get It Together Delilah! I don't understand the name change, as the Flywheel makes much better sense, and is a place most of the story takes place in.

Unfortunately, I didn't really care for this story. It's not bad for any means, and I may hav
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Delilah finds herself in a precarious position, running her father's small business while he's on an extended journey of self discovery and walking away from her education to ensure the coffee house survives against the push of big business. I absolutely adored Delilah. She's a resilient young woman who although self aware, still feels adolescent fragility as she navigates friendships, relationships and responsibility. She continues to endure homophobia, targeted accusations by her peers. Delila ...more
Emily Mead
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Well this was excellent. Diversity and great supporting characters and a flawed but lovable main character. This is definitely one you want to read, by a new Aussie author I will be reading EVERYTHING from!

Hardie Grant Egmont is certainly good at picking their Ampersand Project winners!

_________________________________

This book is absolutely epic.

We have our main character Delilah, aka Del, who is really really excellent. What I FIRST liked about her was that dropping out of school wasn’t presen
Dahlia
This was cute! I liked the writing and the main character's arc, and I think the conversation about having a partner who isn't ready to come out when you already are is a really good one to see in LGBTQ YA. I do wish the whole premise of the Flywheel didn't require such a tremendous suspension of disbelief, because it honestly felt distractingly lazy, and I would've liked to get more of Rosa as a person - I had a hard time feeling their connection - but, ya know, it's sweet f/f YA and if you're ...more
Xueting

Yup, I got Erin Gough's awesome autograph in my copy of the book during the Sydney Writer's Festival! Also went to the "Realistic Teen Fiction" talk in which she was one of the panel authors.

This was a great debut novel that I read in two days. I love all the main characters: the protagonist, Delilah, struggles with managing the family cafe on her own, school, the problems of her friends, the sudden independence thrown on her by her parents, and her own crush on the side. She's really feisty and
Rebecca
Hit me with some #LoveOzYA set near to where I live, some contemporary goodness, and a gay female protagonist, and I’m sold!

I absolutely loved Delilah. First of all, there was no struggle with her sexuality. She liked girls and that was that. She was strong and sure of herself, yet she still had a lot of learning and growing up to do. And she did it. She did the things and learnt the lessons and grew, but always stayed herself.

The side characters were real and equally amazing. For example, I tho
Elise (TheBookishActress)
3.5 stars. There are two types of romance books in YA. There are the angsty, deep ones; think The Fault In Our Stars or Eleanor and Park. And there are the ones that read like a low-budget yet lovable romcom. Get It Together, Delilah! is a romcom packed with subtle life lessons.

Contemporary books don't need much to be enjoyable; likable characters, good storyline with life lessons, and a cute romance is just about it for me. This book hit every point well, just not in any original way.

—> De
Stacee
DNF at 38%

I was ridiculously excited about this. I loved the synopsis and couldn't wait to get to it. Sadly, it fell flat for me.

Delilah's inner monologue is okay, I guess. I found her a bit bland for the most part. She's got a group of mean girls that bully her and when a teacher catches it happening and gets involved, Delilah gets angry and ditches school. That really irked me.

The main plot line of her running the family business to let her dad go on an extended vacation was so so so odd. Se
Figgy
This book has a serious case of the ‘just-one-more-chapter’s. The chapters are definitely on the short side, with some only a few pages long, but that doesn’t mean you’ll be able to put this book down and get back to the things you were supposed to be doing.

The conversational tone, the likeable-yet-stubborn main character, and the variety of characters and friendships, all contribute to a story that feels like it could really be happening in the next suburb over.

The rest of this review can be fo
Inge
Trisha
While I cringed and got panicky about all the awful things happening to Del throughout the whole book (so unfair! Those girls are mean! Really Hamish?), I also smiled and snorted a lot. There were a couple of classic lines I wanted to quote in my updates (but they are long, and I would have had to move from the couch, all the way to my computer), but didn't, so let me tell you, it's snarky.

Del is a mixture of resilience and vulnerability. I knew exactly how she felt when Ella and Co. bailed her
Kristy
Delilah is seventeen and in her last year of high school in Australia. She's also stuck working endless hours in her father's cafe, the Flywheel, as he goes on a whirlwind world trip: hopefully to mend his broken heart. You see, Delilah's mother, June, left him for another man and moved away, leaving Delilah and her father (and the cafe) all alone. But suddenly Delilah finds herself seventeen and running the Flywheel solo. She has no time for school, homework, or even her friends. She barely eve ...more
Allison ☾
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A rush of blood to the head overwhelms you. You kiss her again, your mouth upon hers, and slowly, steadily, you begin to feel delighted. Because you realize she has come through the door with you.
She is kissing you back.
And then imagine that, because of that kiss and what follows, your whole life turns to complete and utter shit.

My goodness, this book is a hot mess in the best way possible. This is the first LGBT novel I’ve ever read. It’s filled with dry humor and Aussie slang (there is a gl
Weezie
Apr 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, dnf
DNFed at 30%. Review here: https://weezieswhimsicalwritings.word...
day
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, faves
WOW okay big part of the 5 stars is that my girlfriend sent me a copy of this book for my birthday, which she annotated with jokes and comments, AND got the author to sign it so i'm kind of reeling from just how much love i'm feeling right now?? i'm also thrilled that the main character was an angry lesbian, who actually is outspoken and not always right. anyway i really am gonna die now i love you sabrina!!!
Jordi
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was not just what I wanted to read, but what I needed to read.

It's not often that I find a book so captivating that I want to read it while it's still in an unbound format. Once I started reading The Flywheel, though, I just couldn't stop. (Yes, it was one of those stay-up-until-I’ve-finished-reading-it books.)

The characters are great – authentic voices, interesting dynamics. The conflict is simple but believable. The prose flows beautifully and has an undertone of wry humour (always a
Peta
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A young adult, coming of age, gay girl love story. I somehow ended up with a pre-release copy, and read the first page... And then I read the whole book and gave it five stars. Well done new author.
prag ♻
well this was a disaster
Cynthia
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE FLYWHEEL is a funny and absolutely wonderful coming-of-age tale with a generous heaping of friendship and a dash of sweet romance.

Delilah is seventeen when her mum runs off to be with another man. Del persuades her heartbroken dad to go on holiday and see the world, leaving Del to help out at his café, the Flywheel, with Dominic the manager in charge. When a twist of circumstances means that Dominic can't work at the café anymore, Del is left on her own. Bullied at school for being a lesbian
Ann Elise Monte
I didn't like this book. At all. This really disappointed me because I kept hearing good things about it. So this review is basically just gonna be me complaining about everything.

First of all, this book was published in 2015. While it's possible the author wasn't aware of anti-ableism discourse, the fact remains that words such as "crazy" and "insane" are used repetitively throughout the book and that is not okay. There's also a scene where the word "anorexic" is used as an insult regarding som
Morgan
Oct 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesbian-interest, ya, crap
I didn't realize that this book was previously published under the title The Flywheel. I can only assume Get it Together is the title for the US market, in which case it's a confusing dropping of the ball. The entire backbone of the story is this cafe The Flywheel; it's responsible for most of the action and the events within the book. At times during reading, I wondering why the book wasn't called Flywheel, so I'm glad at least on some continents it is. However, that case aside, this book just ...more
Diem
I can't believe the first time I read 'The Flywheel' I gave it 4 stars. What was I thinking?

This book is gorgeous and funny. It's also incredibly needed. So much love.

______________
Listen to a Bookish Friends discussion of 'The Flywheel' on Omny, iTunes or on the blog.
Romi (likes books)
(Review copy provided by Hardie Grant Egmont)

I found myself frustrated with The Flywheel. Frustrated because it was nothing like I had hoped it would be. Because I didn’t enjoy it. Because the protagonist was flimsy and irrational with her decisions and the people she supposedly cared about. Frustrated because, in the end, the cover was the thing that I liked more than any part of the story.
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
Full review on my blog ItsJaneLindsey.

Get It Together, Delilah! was my first Aussie YA contemporary, to the best of my memory. I wish these stories were more readily available/commonly published in the US, and I was really excited to pick up this novel after hearing some positive early buzz. As the blurb explains, our main character Del is left in charge of her family’s café while her dad goes off to find himself. This very basic premise requires you to majorly suspend belief – what parent leave
Mila
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt
A very bland romance with an extremely unrealistic plot and annoying characters. The writing was fine and some scenes were actually cute but, overall, just meh.
Čteme anglicky: Letní čtení 2017 - Get It Together, Delilah! 6 15 Aug 25, 2017 04:33AM
  • Clancy of the Undertow
  • Cloudwish (The Six Impossiverse #3)
  • Inbetween Days
  • Becoming Kirrali Lewis
  • Protected
  • The Minnow
  • How to Be Happy: A Memoir of Love, Sex and Teenage Confusion
Erin Gough is a fiction writer whose short stories have been published in a number of journals and anthologies, including Best Australian Stories, The Age, Overland, Southerly and Going Down Swinging. Her work has been broadcast on radio. She has also worked as a freelance writer and columnist. Awards Erin has received for her short fiction include first place in the Banjo Patterson National Short ...more
“I want someone who is proud to be with me, someone who won't turn on me the moment others find out we're together.” 4 likes