Start by marking “Heart of Diamonds: A Novel of Scandal, Love and Death in the Congo” as Want to Read:
Heart of Diamonds: A Novel of Scandal, Love and Death in the Congo

Heart of Diamonds: A Novel of Scandal, Love and Death in the Congo

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  23 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The Congo is a very dangerous place for television journalist Valerie Grey in this tragic, fast-paced tale of avarice and betrayal. Amid the bloody violence of the country's endless civil war, Grey uncovers a deadly diamond-smuggling scheme that reaches the White House by way of a famous American televangelist. Grey is pursued by the soldiers of the country's dictator, the ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Kunati Inc. (first published June 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Diamonds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart of Diamonds

Dave
Jun 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Corruption at the highest levels of government, greed in the church and brutality among warring factions make the Congo a very dangerous place for television journalist Valerie Grey. Amid the bloody violence of that country’s endless civil war, Grey uncovers a deadly diamond-smuggling scheme that reaches from the heart of the Congo to the White House, by way of a famous American televangelist. Aided by an altruistic doctor, Grey is pursued by the soldiers of the country’s dictator, the mercenari ...more
Michael
Apr 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An Exhilarating, Eye Opening Read!

As Heart of Diamonds begins, the description of a brutal rebel attack on a Congolese village as told by a young Congolese boy will tear fiercely at your heartstrings. The brutality this child endured sets the stage for the balance of the story, yet it had me wondering if I could handle more. Donelson’s descriptions of life in the Congo are revolting yet riveting. As I continued turning the pages my view quickly changed from trepidation to anticipation.

While the
Mark
Nov 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: indi-e-book
This well written novel reads with authenticity and the pace rarely slows. Scenes are evocative, overwhelming the reader with the heat, stench and tragedy that is Africa. Action scenes are frequent and vivid, moving the plot forward.

While a satisfying read, stock character antagonists are frustratingly banal. Poorly structured elements of romantic suspense further undermine the drama and weaken sympathy for the protagonists.

Even with those defects, enough sharply drawn action and a few ‘save the
Tabitha
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was fascinating to me. I am always aware that others live different lives than myself, but to be in it firsthand(which is why I love reading these types of books) is always very humbling to me.
Cherie Catron
Oct 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Great research & descriptions of landscapes & accurate portrayal of problems in Congo. Reads like an action movie. However characters are flat and stereotypical.
Melissa
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was immediately thrown into the story on the first page. The accounts of daily life in the Congo are so vivid, the images created are haunting. Well-written story and a great read overall.
Amy Talluto
Nov 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is Jeremy's dad's debut first novel and features the Congo.
Wendy Schneider
Apr 25, 2012
Sandra
Aug 05, 2014
Dave
Jan 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Jenni
Jul 23, 2014
Katelyn
Mar 05, 2012
Dave
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Jenna
Jan 10, 2012
Bruce
rated it it was ok
Oct 19, 2010
Dave
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Goran
Chelsea
Oct 07, 2010
Jeannie Walker
Mar 21, 2011
I'm a freelance writer and photographer who regularly works for about three dozen magazines and newspapers covering a diverse range of topics including social issues, business, travel, golf, and lifestyles. I'm the author of eight books (so far), including Weird Golf: 18 Tales of Fantastic, Horrific, Scientifically Impossible, and Morally Reprehensible Golf.

Among my other works is my novel about
More about Dave Donelson...