Start by marking “Bumpety, Dunkety, Thumpety-Thump!” as Want to Read:
Bumpety, Dunkety, Thumpety-Thump!

Bumpety, Dunkety, Thumpety-Thump!

Two toddlers go on a bumpety berry hunt in this darling picture book that’s perfect for preschoolers.

Wagon on gravel goes bumpety-bump.
Pebbles in the pond fall plunkey-plunk.
Toes in the grass dance thumpety-thump.
Bumpety-plunkety-thumpety-thump!

Join two sweet siblings as they explore their backyard, get deliciously creative in the kitchen, and then spend a cozy evening
Published September 26th 2017 by Beach Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Bumpety, Dunkety, Thumpety-Thump!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bumpety, Dunkety, Thumpety-Thump!

Christine
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Loved the illustrations, I found the little rhymes to be wanting
Annese
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
After reading it a few times, its growing on me. I might try singing this for storytime.
Karen
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
A book about blueberry pie!
The rhythm of it reminded me of Dancing Feet!.
The Library Lady
The author says in the back she wanted this to be "fun on the tongue." Well, it isn't that much fun, because though the 4 words that end each sequence (they change per sequence) always have a lovely rhythmic roll, it is like having a chorus that works while the verses stumble along unevenly. This would trip your tongue as a read aloud. Pity, because the concept is good and the art is delightful. The rhymes just needed a little tweaking by a good editor, and apparently the book world is short on ...more
Jessica Furtado
A fun read for storytime. Children will appreciate the rhythm and repetitive sounds. The rhythm lends itself well for this book to be used as a lap-bounce, where parents can bounce their kiddos on their laps to the "bumpety-bump" beat. The book does drag on a bit toward the end, so librarians and teachers may want to paperclip a few pages together to abridge this for storytimes.
Angela
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
To be read-aloud. A great pick for storytime, bedtime and read-together time.
Richie Partington
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Richie’s Picks: BUMPETY, DUNKETY, THUMPETY-THUMP! by K.L. Going and Simone Shin, illustrator, Beach Lane/Simon & Schuster, September 2017, 48p., ISBN: 978-1-4424-3414-1

“And even if time ain’t really on my side
It’s one of those days for takin’ a walk outside”
-- John Sebastian, “Daydream” (1966)

“Berries on tongues taste bumpety-bump.
Plop them in the bucket, they go plunkety-plunk
Bucket in the wagon rattles clunkety-clunk.
Bumpety, plunkety, clunkety-clunk.”

Presented in six onomatopoetic verses,
Laurie Brumbaugh
3.5 Stars - I can see this being a very fun read-aloud. The author info in the back tells you that Going was inspired by words that are "fun on the tongue," and this book definitely fits that description. I really think preschool children would enjoy the way those words sound and the natural rhythm they create. I think I would encourage them to sit on their knees and bounce to the rhythm as we read. I could also see this working well in a baby storytime where caregivers could bounce the babies o ...more
Tasha
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Two young siblings, a brother and sister, head outside with their wagon. They play with pebbles near the pond, pick blueberries and then head home. Each thing makes it’s own noise: the wagon bumpety-bumps, the pebbles dunkety-dunk, and the plunkety-plunk. Back home, they bake the berries in a pie, eat, wash dishes, and then take a bath. These activities too are supported by a rollicking and noise-filled rhyme that carries the story forward with a jaunty vibe. The book ends with bedtime and every ...more
Barbara
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is one of those verbally satisfying books to read during family reading time or story time at school or the library. Lots of rhymes on the theme of the title keep the reader wondering what will the author come up with next? Soft illustrations against a white background are pleasing and a great support for the text. For ages 2 - 5.
Kelly
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! The story is a repetitive rhyming story based on the sounds of the words in the title. A brother and sister are picking berries and helping to bake a pie with them. That's one of the reasons I loved the book...it was fun, there was rhyming and repetition, and there was a cohesive story. And the illustrations were great!
Cat
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ha! This was such a fun read! Loved the sounds and know the littles will, too! The illustrations were wonderful. This is going on my story time read list for blueberry season next year. Maybe I'll even provide a blueberry pie!
Viviane Elbee
This book reads like a song, and I found myself singing it to the kids. It follows a young girl and her little brother on a day of berry picking and pie baking, up to bedtime. There isn't much conflict but the musicality and images make it perfect for young toddlers.
Donna Dobihal Smith
A delightful play with words, this story takes you through the activities of two siblings as they go through their day. Kids will have fun repeating the rhymes as they hear this lively story; a good choice for both groups or lap sits!
Christine
A sweet book following a simple, fun day for two siblings brimming with everyday adventures. I loved the sounds and the repetition which are perfect toddler reading. This is a true picture book that heavily relies on the illustrations to tell the story.
Bethany
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
With a series of onomatopoeia, two siblings explore the world, have fun in the house, wash up, and snuggle into bed. The rhythmic text pulses forward for an infectiously joyous read-aloud.
Miss Sarah
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
a family spends the day blueberry pickinga dn then baking those blueberries. cute, simple and easy to follow. love the sense of family. preschool and up
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
A sweet day-in-the-life story for toddler storytime.
Linda Atkinson
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
My favorite kind of book for toddlers- rhythmic and repetitive
Angie
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Here's another cute story. The pictures are so cute.
Nicole
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: wsra-2018-2019
I really enjoyed the illustrations, but the rhyme just didn't seem to flow.
Maggie Ignasiak
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
It has a catchy onomatopoeia tune. It's cute!
Lingsze Wong
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Fun to read out loud to kids
Ruth Ann
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Berry picking for toddlers and their wagon makes a lot of fun sounds!

Jubilant illustrations.
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
Great for reading before blueberry picking.
Gwen Ayler
May 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
I could see kids liking the changing sounds that are still similar to previous pages but it got tiring to read and figure out what the new made up words were for each page.
Emma (Miss Print)
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am amazed at K. L. Going's range. This story is fun with slight rhyme and light text. Bold and sweet illustrations. A storytime winner for sure.
Lauren
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm very excited to use this book for baby or toddler story time. I love the sound effects! I think they would be really fun for an interactive story reading experience.
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Will be awesome as a read-aloud. Illustrations are fun too.
Andrea Brooks
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Too young for Blueberries for Sal? Lovely lively words mixed w/made-up words to describe a berry-picking day.
K.L. Going is the award winning author of numerous books for children and teens. Her first novel, Fat Kid Rules the World was named a Michael Printz Honor Book by the American Library Association, and was included on YALSA’s Best Books for Young Adults list and their list of Best Books for the Past Decade. Her books have been Booksense picks, Scholastic Book Club choices, Junior Library Guild sele ...more