Start by marking “Small Walt” as Want to Read:

My name is Walt,
I plow and I salt.
They say I’m small,
but I’ll show them all.

Small Walt and his driver, Gus, take on a blizzard! All the bigger snowplows doubt that Walt has what it takes to plow the roads in the storm, but Walt is determined to prove them wrong.
Published October 31st 2017 by Simon Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Small Walt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Walt

Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Upon first glance I thought this was a Virginia Lee Burton book with which I was unfamiliar. Although Small Walt has a striking resemblance, it was written by another author.
The tale itself is familiar, a sort of David meets Goliath in snowplow form. But the illustrations are pleasing, harkening well of winter and, above all, since my beloved father's name is Walt, I'm predestined towards partiality for this little picture book.
The Library Lady
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
As many have noted, the art style and color palette used here are very derivative of Virginia Lee Burton and her book Katy and the Big Snow. But vehicle books are always popular, and this will please the "Thomas" crowd.
Amy
Super cute, clearly alludes to the stories and illustration of Virginia Lee Burton. Cute as it is, I'd still go with Katy and the Big Snow, if I had to choose.
Margaret Boling
10/15/2017 ** Small Walt is a familiar tale - a small machine has to prove himself against the larger machines. It begins with Walt hoping he's not the last chosen to go out on the night of a big storm, a feeling that will resonate with many children. Rosenthal's illustrations add to the feeling of a classic book, evoking Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel (Burton).

New additions to a familiar feel: onomatopoeic words to illustrate tasks and brief rhymes after some of Walt's more challenging tas
Mrs.Melaugh Melaugh
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
In rhyming text, a cute little snowplow shows the bigger snowplows that his small size won’t keep him from doing a good job. When a blizzard starts, Walt is once again the last bulldozer chosen to head out into the storm with his driver, Gus. He gamely plows and salts mile after mile of slush and muck all night. Displaying grit, Walt and Gus even tackle a high, high hill, “We’re Gus and Walt. / We plow and we salt. / We’ll fight the snow. / Get ready – now GO!” The other plows are impressed, and ...more
Tasha
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Walt is the smallest snowplow in the city’s fleet, so when the big storm arrives, no one wants to drive him. Soon the parking lot is empty with only Walt left behind. Then Gus arrives and merrily prepares to drive Walt into the storm. Walt works hard into the night to clear bridges and roads, trying to prove that he’s up to the big job. Then he reaches a big hill. They could leave it for a larger truck to handle, but Walt wants to try. He slips and slides all the way up, but getting down could b ...more
Whatmykidsandiread Juli
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Small Walt” is a sweet story where you find yourself rooting for the little guy, who in this particular case, is the smallest snow plow in the lot. With the help of his driver, Gus, Walt pushes through (😉) to show everyone that he can tackle even the iciest bridge and the steepest hill, just as well as the biggest plow.

Elizabeth Verdick has written a readaloud delight packed full of fun, noisy truck sounds and crisp language that will hook kids right away (we read it three times the night we go
Desiree
Small Walt is the smallest snow plow in the fleet but he has the biggest heart! All of the other drivers pass Walt by on their way to bigger snow plows, but not Gus. Gus sees Small Walt's heart and believes
that together, they can conquer the snow. This classic story is told in the tradition of Virginia Lee Burton's "Katy and the Big Snow"and Watty Piper's "The Little engine that could". This book would make a great addition to a unit on tenacity or self actualization for school aged children. T
Judy Cummings
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you’re a fan of Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel (and who isn’t), then you’re going to love Small Walt. Marc Rosenthal’s illustrations gave me the same cozy feeling I had as a kid reading Mike Mulligan, and author Elizabeth Verdick created a story with similar urgency. The little snow plow Walt has a big job to do in a short amount of time. Reading this book to small children is fun because they can join in with Small Walt’s sounds—shrugga rugga, vroom—and chants. The theme is universal. De ...more
Kirsti
This book owes a lot to Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel and The Little Engine That Could and "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer." So it's not the most original work of art, but it is delightful. It's also fun to read aloud because it's got a little of everything: rhythm, rhyme, onomatopoeia, assonance, alliteration. And the illustrations are--well, the word "friendly" comes to mind. This book would be perfect to read on a snowy day with a mug of hot chocolate.
Jillian
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book turned up on my desk and I was 100% sure I'd read it before, just with a different title.

Well, I was wrong, but can you blame me? It's such a familiar story - even the snowplow angle isn't new. About the only real "twist" is that the big machines didn't get stuck and need to be rescued. Which, on the whole, seems to be a more realistic telling - "the little guy did better than I thought" is hardly something to sneeze at!
Pam
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Walt is the smallest snow plow in the fleet. No one wants to drive him because they don't think he can do the job. Gus takes him and they manage to plow one of the largest, steepest hills in town. The other trucks and drivers see him for who he is not who they thought he was.
Great to talk about appreciating others and their abilities.
Vicki
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
While this isn't a new concept for a book, this is an enjoyable version which will make a great read aloud. It has a repetitive phrase and a don't give up attitude.

The illustrations have an old timey look and remind me of Virginia Lee Burton look. Take off the jacket cover to reveal a slightly different look than the jacket.
Sheri
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
So like the Little Engine that Could but Walt is a snowplow with small engine and small size compared to all the others. Walt is able to do the job that others cannot and is important and helpful in the winter snows. Illustrations are similar to the ones in Katy and the Big Snow by Virginia Lee Burton and The Little House.
Alyssa Gudenburr
I really liked this book because it reminded me of the engine that could. A little snow plow Walt is teased because he is so small. He proves all the other snow trucks wrong when he does just as well plowing snow as the big plows. A great feel good story about being a underdog.
Barbra
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute familiar Illustrations tell one of our favourite morals. Big things come in tiny packages, I think I can, I think I can! This never give up story of a small snowplow reminds children to keep plowing through life, be brave and perservere.
Emily
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
As others have noted, this has echoes of Virginia Lee Burton. Unlike Burton, however, who regularly features female trucks, houses, etc. all the characters here seem to be male, which I find annoying in this day and age.
Mary
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Like the Little Engine that Could, Small Walt has to work hard for his place among the bigger snowplows in town. Even when he gets scared, he pushes through to do the job that needs to get done. Great for fans of trucks.
Kris DeLabio
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Similar to the Little Engine That Could but with snow plows. Wonderful illustrations.
Robyn Schultz
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love the art by Marc Rosenthal and the story is charming. Reminds me of 'Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel', 'The Little Engine that Could', and 'I Stink'. Young readers will love it!
Clare Bird
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
For a second I thought this was a children’s version of breaking bad, Walt and Hank? Jk. This was a cute “I can do anything” book!

Karen
A simple story with old-fashioned drawings reminiscent of books like the Little Engine That Could and the steam-shovel
Tricia
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute book for a winter story time or a story time about never giving up!
Kelly Carey
Wonderful winter illustrations in this Little Engine That Could inspired snow plow story.
Allison Marks
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
A retread on a familiar story
Patricia McLaughlin
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little truck with a can-do attitude plows the way to better self-esteem; retro illustrations are reminiscent of Virginia Lee Burton’s “Mike Mulligan.”
Kristin
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute illustrations help tell the story full of rhyme and onomatopoeia.
Mary
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a cute story with some retro-inspired illustrations. My boys thought the book was spectacular and asked for it multiple times by name.
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
A fun read-aloud for the preschool set.
Brenda Lower
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very reminiscent of "Katy and the Big Snow" with the rhythmic repetition of "The Little Engine that Could" Cute pictures, good book!
Elizabeth Verdick has been writing books since 1997, the year her daughter was born. Her two children, now ages 13 and 8, are the inspiration for nearly everything she writes. Before becoming an author, Elizabeth edited books for children and parents.

These days she writes books for toddlers to teens, and everything in between. She especially loves creating new board book series for toddlers—the l