Start by marking “EngiNerds” as Want to Read:

(EngiNerds #1)

The battle between boys and bots is on in this funny, fast-paced novel.

Ken is an EngiNerd: one of a super-smart group of friends—all nerds—who have been close since kindergarten.

They may be brainiacs, but they’re just like everyone else: they fight with one another, watch too much TV, eat Chinese food, and hate walking their dogs. Well, maybe not just like everyone because
Published September 12th 2017 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about EngiNerds, please sign up.
Ben Langhinrichs No, it's not. It has a few interior illustrations, but they are quite limited and just at the beginnings of chapters.

Jarrett Lerner
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Obviously, I'm slightly biased here. But proud nerds?! Farting robots?! Adventure and mayhem and did I say farting robots?!

This is a book I would've loved to read as a kid. Which is exactly why I wrote it.
Mortisha Cassavetes
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
I won this book in a giveaway and I am so glad I did. What a wonderful story. Very Nerdy Indeed! It follows a boy named Ken and his friends going on an adventure of their lives. This book features an ingenious story line of robots, lots of snacks, science, explosions and even 90 mph farts. I don't want to say much more as to not spoil it but I must say... there are some that hate baths (water) more than little boys LOL! I would recommend this to everyone. I just loved it and hope there is a seco ...more
Stefanie
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A hilarious, fast-paced adventure about a group of boys trying to stop food-loving robots from taking over!
Ms. Yingling
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

Ken and Dan like hanging out with their other geeky friends, and often construct things out of rubber bands and chopsticks. When Ken finds a box on his porch, he figures it is something fun to construct that his grandfather must have left. He calls Dan, and the two follow the directions until they have a rough idea that the project is a robot. Unfortunately, the two have to go out and hunt down Ken's dog... and when they get back, the robot has finished put
Shaye Miller
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was such a treat! Told from the perspective of middle-grader Ken, we learn that the EngiNerds is a group of kids who are super-smart, techy-science kids who’ve known each other since Kindergarten. One day, completely out of the blue, a large box appears at Ken’s house. It’s a ROBOT! And Ken’s robot is hungry. I mean really REALLY hungry!! Outside of eating and farting out giant brown squares, no one is sure of the purpose of Ken’s robot. After a couple days, boxes begin showing up at e ...more
Lindsay Currie
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'll admit that Jarrett Lerner had me at "farting robots", but the book definitely delivered beyond that! Funny, fast-paced and entertaining, I devoured EngiNerds! Perfect book for hard-core readers and reluctant ones alike :)
Dana Middleton
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book proves that nerds will inherit the earth -- or at least save the earth from ravenous farting robots! Jarrett Lerner has written a fun and ingenious book that is sure to be a big hit with middle grade readers. His writing pops off the page with clever wordplay and snappy chapters. I had a blast with Ken and his friend and can't wait for the next installment!
Snazzy Reads
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5
Shari
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fun adventure for some cute, nerdy boys who have a little mystery to solve about their cube-farting robot.
Rob Vlock
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun book! After all, what's not to love about farting robots? But beyond that, Jarrett's book has a ton of humor, action, nerdiness and brilliantly written dialogue. With its short, snappy chapters and fast pacing, this would be a terrific choice for reluctant readers -- yet, it's fun and engaging enough that anyone would enjoy this read! So settle down with some yummy com-EST-ib-ulls and dive right in to EngiNerds!
Kathie
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a great one for science and robot-loving techie kids. It’s a fun and entertaining read that will have great appeal with its farting, out-of-control robots that need to be stopped BEFORE they stop the humans chasing them. The reading level makes this book accessible to even reluctant readers, while the story has enough to it to hook a proficient reader as well.
Brenda
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at Log Cabin Library

Ken and his friends have a mutual interest in science and technology, meeting every day over lunch in the science classroom. Some members of the group have been referring to themselves as the EngiNerds, a name you'll never catch Ken using. One day, Ken finds a box on his front porch, inside are a bunch of parts and a list of directions for putting the project together. Ken suspects that his Grandpa K, an engineer who's notorious for giving him gifts to const
Amber Webb
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book where nerds unite and battle it out and attempt to outsmart a team of robots taking over the city, is sure to be entertaining. In his debut novel, Jarrett Lerner hooks readers in the preface. He keeps the chapters short and quick encouraging you to continue reading. It makes it tough to put the book down! The EngiNerds have a challenge on their hands in the way of troublesome robots. The team has to figure out how to outsmart this team of learning robots even if they don't all necessarily ...more
Lorie Barber
4.5 stars for this hilarious, rollercoaster ride of a read that I know my students will love! A rarity for me as I read: I found myself yearning for some illustrations to support the author’s quick pace and bring his vivid descriptions to life! I also hoped for a bit more with Kennedy’s grandpa, with whom Kennedy has such a special connection (maybe in a future installment?) But I am not the target audience. The target audience will love the humor, whip-smart kids, the reality of friendships, an ...more
Stel Pavlou
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious in a way I hadn’t expected. Go with me on this, because it’s going to be an odd comparison, but if you’ve ever seen Shaun of the Dead, this book has that kind of feel about it. A bunch of friends face apocalyptic out of control robots instead of zombies. They’re all smart, and they all annoy each other leading to some hilarious interactions. The dialogue is witty and punchy. And the climax is in a suitably Shaun of the Dead location. I read this over three nights to my 8 year old and s ...more
Wendy MacKnight
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
What a fun, smart book! What would you do if a box filled with metal parts mysteriously appeared on your front porch. And those parts made a robot whose sole interest is eating. EVERYTHING. But then it turns out there are more robots and only Ken and his friends The Enginerds can save the day.

This is a delightful book! A great story of friendship, ingenuity, and hysterically funny characters, including the robots! Jarrett Lerner made me laugh out loud!

I adored Ken and his friends and I can’t wa
Jonathan Rosen
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The adult in me loved this book, and the kid in me, loved it even more. A fast-paced, hilarious read. Every night, I found myself saying, Okay, just one more chapter. Okay, I meant starting from now. No, I really meant now! Ken is an endearing main character, and everyone will love the robot, Greeeg! Because really, who doesn't love farting robots? I highly recommend this book and can't wait for the sequel!
Jackie L
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has everything kids need and want! Suspense, humor, friendship, action and science-- all packaged in a fast-paced delightful story which you won't be able to put down!

There are mysteries and problems to solve, friendships to negotiate, and a dog named Kitty! Older kids will read on their own and younger kids will want this read to them. Looking forward to more adventures from Ken and his clever and curious friends!

Janice
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jarrett Lerner is an incredible wordsmith. Even though this book is written for kids, his descriptions paint a beautiful picture for adults that children will understand as well. Enginerds is extremely imaginative, such a fun take on boys and bots. Great as a read aloud book for any age! Well done!
Laney Nielson
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super funny, well-paced and smart---this a pitch perfect middle grade story! Can't wait to see what Ken and the Enginerds are up to next.
Erin Downing
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super fun! Short chapters and lots of action make this a real page-turner.
Andrew Root
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Action! Science! Friendship!
A truly enjoyable book. My third grader couldn't put it down! I had a wonderful time reading it as well. Lerner does an incredible job of writing in an accessible and entertaining fashion that transcends age and is a genuine joy to read.

Can't wait for a sequel!
Patrick
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pure fun. Kids will love it. Especially boys. Nerds! Robots. Farts. The book has it all!!! Can’t wait to share with my students.
Lynn Plourde
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun & funny! Nerds and robots rule the world. Perfect for Gr. 3-5, especially reluctant readers.
Supriya Kelkar
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is so funny, so smart, and as if that wasn't enough, there are also farting robots and a dog named Kitty. I loved ENGINERDS!
Danni Ventre
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for kids, but will definitely be enjoyed by all! Very funny and the action keeps the attention of our distracted readers as well. Can't wait for the second one to find out where this adventure goes next!
Blair
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Super fun and entertaining. My kids and I couldn't put it down! Definitely recommend and cannot wait for the next book to come out!
Ms Threlkeld
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fast-paced and funny story about an engineering project that gets out of control. Great way to promote STEM with middle grade readers.
Diane Magras
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
This is a delightful, engaging, and very smart tale of a group of STEM friends who have to deal with 16 dangerous robots that seem like wonderful inventions at first but, due to the brilliance of their creator, advance almost too quickly. A great book for any kid interested in inventions, and a fun, fast-paced read. Highly recommended.
Terry Johnson
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
Hilarious! The voice is SPOT ON and I loved every bit of it. Super fun MG read. Looking forward to book 2 to see what else this wacky group gets into.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »