Start by marking “Salam Alaikum: A Message of Peace” as Want to Read:
Salam Alaikum: A Message of Peace

Salam Alaikum: A Message of Peace

From “the Muslim Justin Bieber” (NPR) Harris J comes a picture book that celebrates spreading peace, love, and happiness throughout the world, using the lyrics of his international YouTube hit of the same name.

Salam Alaikum means “Peace be upon you.” It is the greeting that Muslims around the world use to say “hello” and “good-bye.” International music sensation Harris J h
Published September 5th 2017 by Salaam Reads / Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

Angie
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG this book almost had me in tears. The message is simple spread love and peace. Help out those in need and pass it along to make a better world. The pictures are so beautiful. Please do yourself a favor and read this really deep and meaningful picture book.
MaryBeth Nolt
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kiddos
Great picture book promoting a message of peace and love. My kids also enjoyed seeing Harris J’s video for the song.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebook
A great message with diverse and dynamic illustrations.

I'm not a huge fan of picturebooks with song lyrics, but it is very sweet and universal.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This book makes more sense when you watch the music video from Harris J
Jillian Heise
I was underwhelmed by this one. Once I watched the music video for the song that this book is based on, it made more sense, but I was confused as I was reading it as it didn't feel like a cohesive story.
Tonja Drecker
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Warmth and good feelings pour from every page, allowing positive attitudes to shine through.

This picture book was published in connection with and uses the lyrics of Harris J's popular song, Salam Alaikum.

The message is crystal clear on every page--if we're nice to each other, the world will be a great place. Everyone will be happy. Smiles and caring radiate from every illustrations as the text encourages kindness and assistance. The text itself is short--only a line or two on each two-page spr
Ben Truong
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Salam Alaikum: A Message of Peace is a children's picture book written by Harris J and illustrated by Ward Jenkins, which is a book about peace and spreading it to one another.

Harris J's text is rather simple, straightforward, and lyrical. It is a timeless message of spreading peace to one another and eventually it would spread all over the world. The text sounded lyrical, because it's actually a song by Harris J – didn't realize it until I read the blurb on Goodreads and saw the music video. I
Erika L.
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I did this book at Toddler Storytime today! Before starting, I read a few sentences from the front cover page of the book because it explained that Assalamu Alaikum means "Peace be upon you," and told the kids that Muslims around the world use that as a greeting to say "hello" and "good-bye." This book works great with toddlers because you can talk about all the ways you show kindness to your family and friends in your community! Each page shows at least one person doing something or giving some ...more
Sharon
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
We were searching for diverse children's titles and among the titles was Salam Alaikum A Message of Peace by Harris J. After I realized it was based on a song, I have been enjoying his music on YouTube ever since. :)

This is a great message of peace, friendship and community. An entreaty that no matter what darkness comes, we should let our lights shine in the world. I love the splashy, happy illustrations by Ward Jenkins. I found the text a bit awkward in some places, which is understandable wh
Jillian
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
1. At first, I misread the title as "Salami Alaikum" and was confused because of the pork thing, but then I had my own idea for a children's book. :-p

2. I didn't know this was based on a song until Goodreads told me so.

So maybe not knowing the song is why the text didn't do tons for me? The illustrations were fantastic - so much kindness and paying-it-forward and it just makes you feel good to see so much good happening in the world. And if there were music playing, I'd probably be even happier.
Brett
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A sparse, gentle read-aloud with a lovely message. I especially liked the illustrations, which show the author/singer doing something nice for another person, who then does something else for another person, & so on, showing how good deeds passed along make those who perform them AND those on the receiving end feel good. Great way to talk about being a good citizen, & a very powerful message indeed in these times, no matter what your religion.
Jen Wills
This is a sweet book about spreading joy and peace. It's an illustrated song lyric, essentially, so the story is more of a poem, but the illustrations show a neighborhood with progressive "pay it forward" actions happening on each page. Notes on both endpapers teach the pronunciation of Salam Alaikum.
Anne
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't know the song this is based upon, so that may affect my review. The illustrations are wonderful, you can feel the glow of love from the page, and see how kindness and generosity is contagious. The words themselves weren't up to the feelings inspired by the illustrations, but as I said that may be because I don't know the song.
Cara Byrne
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
"I love it when we love one another. Give thanks every day for this life, living with a smile on my face. Assalamu Alaikum." Written by Harris J, a British Muslim singing artist, this book is a light celebration of community with that introduces (to me) "a greeting that Muslims around the world use to say 'hello' and 'good-bye'."
Tori
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had not heard the song this was based on when I read it, so it struck as a rhythmic prose that loosely rhymed in places. I enjoyed the colorful pictures and the sweet message. I can't see it working for storytime, as it doesn't really tell a story, but I would recommend it to parents for one on one reading.
Earl
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I didn't realize this was another one of those picture books based on a song. And it's a pretty recent song by a young artist. I ended up YouTubing the video and listening to parts of the song. I liked the message and I enjoyed the story the illustrations tell.
LtLEGOReads
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents of young children
Initially, text don't make sense to me. It is only after I found out through Goodreads that it was the song lyrics to Harris J's song, then it did.

Nevertheless, the book has gorgeous illustration and a strong, clear message about spreading peace - something the World truly needs now.

Allison
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Any book that promotes little acts of kindness throughout the day is a great book in my book! This book shows how being kind brings light to people's lives centered on the phrase "peace be upon you."
Caitlin Ostberg
Sweet message, but I wasn't a hug fan of the illustrations.
Inge
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet, fills a gap in the literature. Did find some of the skin tones to be slightly green.
Aliza Werner
Lyrics to Harris J's song of the same name. Pair with the song, popular on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_-Mc...
Robin
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I loved the story told through the illustrations and the message, but the song lyrics didn't make the best book text. Recommended for ages 3-6.
Amanda Johnson
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simple but powerful message.

Pictures are beautiful.
Bill
Sep 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: concept
It may be a hit song, but it is not a hit picturebook.
Miss Sarah
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this simple toddler and up picture book about peace and sharing it with others. great lesson and very simple.
Jessie
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty simple, repetitive text. The illustrations show lots of examples of people helping each other and being kind to each other.
Kelly
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A beautiful message of peace be to you, and peace in the world.
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I would've liked more of a nonfiction explanation at the end / beginning of what the phrase Salam Alaikum means.
Kelly
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure I'm ready to try singing pop songs to my baby storytime, but I just adore the bold colors and expressive illustrations; could make a good addition to my "Give Thanks" storytime.
Maria Freeman
May 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nibling
Sweet but not very complex. Idea is that one act of kindness can inspire another and so on.