Start by marking “Buffy the Vampire Slayer 20 Years of Slaying: The Watcher's Guide Authorized” as Want to Read:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer 20 Years of Slaying: The Watcher's Guide Authorized

Buffy the Vampire Slayer 20 Years of Slaying: The Watcher's Guide Authorized

A special hardcover collector’s edition of the authorized Buffy the Vampire Slayer Watcher’s Guides, now with updated content from the cast and crew!

As long as there have been vampires, there has been the Slayer. One girl in all the world to find them where they gather and to stop the spread of their evil and the swell of their numbers.

From the first vampire staking to
Published October 3rd 2017 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Buffy the Vampire Slayer 20 Years of Slaying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffy the Vampire Slayer 20 Years of Slaying

Start your review of Buffy the Vampire Slayer 20 Years of Slaying: The Watcher's Guide Authorized
Completely Melanie
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have watched this series multiple times, and reading this book brought back so many memories and makes me want to rewatch the entire series again. Also, I knew there were Buffy comics, but I thought it was just a repeat of what was on the show. I had no idea that the story actually continued through them. Now I must get them all!
rachel selene
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
there are few television shows that have touched me as deeply as buffy the vampire slayer. (the only other is avatar: the last airbender.) i didn't grow up with the series - i watched it for the first time only last year - but it is one that i will return to again and again. this was a fun and informative read, and it certainly heightened my appreciation for an already fantastic show.
TJ
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic overview of the series, with trivia even this huge fan didn’t already know! There’s also summaries of what has happened in the comics thus far, which is cool! The highlights definitely include the samples from various episode scripts and the interviews conducted within the last year with actors, writers, and crew members from the show. 5/5 Stars!
Jaz
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As an inveterate Buffy nerd of many years standing, it goes without saying that I own and have read the original Watcher's Guides many times. Despite saying I wouldn't buy this new book - essentially an abridged, rehash of the former volumes with some new material in the form of cast interviews - I couldn't help myself when I happened across a heavily-discounted copy.

In reality, the new material adds very little of any great import, but being reminded of the greatness that is BTVS is never a
Debbie
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
First of all - I didn't read this ebook edition I read the hardback version but it wasn't in the Goodreads system and I am too lazy to add it. Second I had no idea what to classify this so I just did fiction. And third - I wanted to start the new year with a fast easy fun book and as my friends know I am a huge Buffy fan so I saw this at a bookstore ( a building that sells actual books to people who are in the building looking at books to buy) and couldn't resist.

Stefka
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cherry
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing content. Lovely cover but the pages are so boring, all black and white. I expected a little more pizzazz.
Kristin
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm not exactly sure who this book is written for. Because, based on the fact that most of it is plot summaries of only a few of the memorable episodes, you'd guess it was for people who liked the show, but who don't plan on revisiting it any time soon. But...I haven't met those people in the Buffyverse. People who love Buffy are still watching it. *cough*Me*cough*

There was virtually zero information that you didn't already know from the show. The best parts were the tiny tidbits of dialogue
Brittany Petersen (thecontinuingchronicles)
Overall I really enjoyed this Watcher's Guide as it was amazing to dive back into the Buffyverse. It was especially fun to see the brand new interviews that were done with many of the cast specifically for this book.

However, if you are looking for a comprehensive Buffy Guide, this is not for you.

Back when the show was still in production, there were three seperate Watcher's Guides that were published that encompassed all seven seasons. These guides were fare more comprehensive and detailed every
Brian
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
BUFFY!! This show was one of my favorite shows in the 90's and I was very stoked to see this book come out on the 20th anniversary. The book is divided into sections by seasons. There are breakdowns of several episodes including assorted trivia, random production facts and some deleted scenes in the scripts. Peppered throughout the book are interviews with some of the stars and staff. The book is nearly the perfect book for a Buffy fan. My one criticism, and this was one that made this down to a ...more
Julie
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
What a lovely trip down memory lane! This book has a very cool cover (hardcover), looks like etched leather. It covers what are considered the best, memorable and pivotal episodes of the series, interspersed with old and new interviews. I especially enjoyed the interviews with cast and crew that covered what they're up to these days. I haven't followed any of them purposely, but always get that little thrill of recognition and excitement when I see the actors appear in other shows or movies, or ...more
Rosie
Jul 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a big disappointment. The cover is very nice, the rest of the book is a cheap looking, mostly cut and paste of previous Watcher's Guides, on what feels like low quality paper. There are no colour picture sections, which all the previous volumes contained.

As a long time Buffy fan, this is an expensive rip off for fans to cash in on the 20th Anniversary.

I would recommend finding the cheap copies available of the first three and don't bother with this, unless you find a cheap copy if you
Erin
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buffy, owned
This was an extremely well organized and enjoyable collection of information about Buffy the Vampire Slayer! I thought the episodes chosen for discussion were some of the most important and enjoyable throughout the series, and the included interviews were full of information I hadn't previously known about the series and the staff involved. I also appreciated the inclusion of the full script for episode 4.22, "Restless"; as the episode includes a ton of imagery, metaphor, and foreshadowing, ...more
Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken
I love this show just as deeply now as I did 20 years ago. It is insane to me that it's really been 20 years. I've never been addicted to a universe and characters like I was/am to BtVS. Joss has simultaneously made me want to hug and strangle him. This Watcher's Guide is as near-perfect as possible, and I read it in one sitting. A must for Buffy fans.
Paul
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won
I received a free copy of this book as a Goodreads giveaway

This is one for the true affici0nado out there -(aka saddo!)

Everything you always wanted to know and a fair few things you didn't need to know.

It's a very specific subject for a very specific market. Won't make much sense if you're not yet a fan.

Well written and easy to dip in and out of.
Kristen
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I mean, it's Buffy - what's not to like? I enjoyed this compendium of episode guides, behind-the-scenes info about the show and interviews with key members of the cast and crew. There were a few episodes I had hoped would be in here that weren't, but otherwise, it was a great compilation of fun info about the entire series, and well worth a read for any Buffy fans.
Wendy Mills
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another must-have book for Buffy The Vampire Slayer fans. Lots of fun interviews with cast, crew, writers etc. Poignant memories on the selected episodes discussed for each season of the 7 year run of the show.
Kate
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty fun for Buffy fans. The author and I disagree strongly on which are the best episodes however and he only recaps his faves for each season. Interesting cast and crew interviews are interspersed
Eden
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
While I enjoyed a lot of the interviews and the full shooting script, I was not a fan of the style of episode reviews nor of the episodes chosen, as many of my favorites were not included, while several of my "throwaway" or one-off episodes were.
The Dwarf Did It...
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had a Buffy theme 30th birthday and this was the perfect companion for the Buffy marathon! Grew up with this show. Loved this book!
Mar
kc
Jan 26, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Combining editions 3 194 Jan 10, 2018 04:36AM

• Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Official Grimoire: A Magickal History of Sunnydale
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: One Girl in All the World (Season 11, Volume 2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Reckoning (Season 12, Volume 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Spread of Their Evil (Season 11, Volume 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 Omnibus, Volume 1
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Encyclopedia: The Ultimate Guide to the Buffyverse
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, Volume 3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Predators and Prey (Season 8, Volume 5)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer:  Time of Your Life (Season 8, Volume 4)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 11: Giles - Girl Blue
  • Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 Omnibus, Volume 2
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You (Season 8, Volume 2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Slayer (Slayer, #1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Last Gleaming (Season 8, Volume 8)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Retreat (Season 8, Volume 6)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, Volume 1)
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more