Start by marking “Predator's Gold (Mortal Engines #2)” as Want to Read:
Predator's Gold (Mortal Engines #2)

Predator's Gold

(Mortal Engines Quartet #2)

Mortal Engines is now a major motion picture produced by Peter Jackson!
* "Reeve's [Mortal Engines] remains a landmark of visionary imagination." -- School Library Journal, starred review

"A breathtaking work of imagination, Hester Shaw is a heroine for the ages. The moment we finished reading [Mortal Engines] we knew we wanted to make it into a movie." -- Producer Peter Jac
Published May 30th 2017 by Scholastic Press (first published September 19th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Predator's Gold, please sign up.
Adam Bolander From what I've heard, it's because the another book called Hyperion has a cyborg man named Shrike as well.

Cécile C.
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
Let's start with the good, because there's still a lot of good in there. Namely, the world-building. The idea of transforming cities into animals, preying on each other in a broken ecosystem that slowly moves on towards its doom is great, and quite elaborate. Predators, prey, scavengers and parasites compete together in a world that is marching towards its end, as Municipal Darwinism encourages a large-scale destruction of all available resources and brings back slavery and inhuman treatments of ...more
Brooke Shirts
Mar 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't love dystopic visions of the future? Not I. Especially not one that involves giant cities on wheels -- that EAT each other. The concept of Municipal Darwinism never gets old, baby.

It's taken me forever to get around to the Hungry City Chronicles, of which this is the second. Tom and Hester, our heroes from the first book (read: the only characters left alive after the first book -- sheesh, Mortal Enginges has a bigger body count than Hamlet) are in trouble again. This time they've l
Sara Saif

Hello? Excuse me! Last book of the year coming through!

I really, really liked this one! The world is exciting and fun and crazy in a way I've never read before. All YA dystopian books feel like copy cats in varying degrees and levels these days but this is original stuff and it becomes wholly evident in this book especially. It's madness! Chases and betrayals, cheating and close-calls, things are happening all over the place. And the most satisfying thing is seeing it all coming together like cl

Nikki
The second Hungry Cities book is the same sort of fun as the first, albeit with those dark moments of violence and horror (like horrible deaths, or people being unpleasant). It still follows Hester and Tom, but they’ve grown up a bit, and they have a place in the world as aviators. That is, until Pennyroyal comes aboard and spoils everything.

Realistic, and sad, is the portrayal of Hester being so afraid to lose Tom. She doesn’t believe anyone else will see past her scarred face to who she really
Neil R. Coulter
Nov 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, steampunk

Book 1, Mortal Engines, was disappointing; Book 2 is worse. I sense that there is an interesting story happening in Reeve's steampunk world, but it's always just beyond the edges of the story he's actually telling. Somewhere in this world multiple factions plot against each other and a world war is beginning. But Predator's Gold isn't that story. It's the story of three underage minors--the bland hero, Tom; Hester, the ultra-violent girl with half a face; and Freya, the self-centered, fat ice pr

Lesincele Viaja gracias a los libros
El primero me gustó mucho pero este me ha gustado mucho más. Su punto fuerte son los giros argumentales, que los hay a patadas pero increíblemente, ninguno metido con calzador . Y el final deja con muchísimas ganas de más. Y qué decir del mundo....¡me vuelve loca!
Andrew
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And so on to the second of the Mortal Engines series. Now as usual I will try and capture my thoughts here without giving away any spoilers - lets see how successful I am at that.

Anyway this book is although clearly from the work of the Mortal Engines - it has a slightly different feel to it, I guess not having to introduce to characters and the rather unique way the world runs makes things a little easier and yes the pace of the story a lot faster.

That said you can see how the relationship of
Lesia Melnyk
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, in-english
Друга частина Хронік Голодного Міста мені більше сподобалася. Нарешті двійко головних героїв розкрились для мене. Том часто уявляється в образі Роберта Шіена, який зіграв його у очікуваній екранізації. Хестер трохи подоброшіла через кохання і, відповідно, стала ну дуже ревнивою через свою закомплексованість споствореною зовнішністю. Так-так, у цій частині багато любовних моментиків. Все ж таки це янг-едалт.

Якщо перша частина нас познайомила лише з Лондоном, то тут у нас з гігантів виступає злісн
Alex Givant
Will continue to read, so far so good.
Montse
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3'5 en realidad
Jeraviz
Si te pones en modo juvenil estos libros son muy divertidos. Tienen de todo: ciudades que se mueven y se comen unas a las otras, escenario futurista y en una Tierra desolada, misterios ancestrales, acción, malentendidos, etc. Si lo hubiera cogido con 12 años sería de mis lecturas favoritas. Si tenéis alguien cercano de esa edad recomendarle esta saga porque la va a disfrutar.
The Book Queen
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This was amazing. Just as great as Mortal Engines.
And then... BAM. WORST ENDING EVER. (view spoiler)
Cat
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Que bom que foi voltar a este mundo de Philip Reeve, em que as cidades se comem umas às outras!

Foi bom voltar a acompanhar Tom em mais uma aventura cheia de peripécias e reviravoltas. Reeve sabe bem criar uma aventura jovem adulta em que nada é previsível.

Creio ir ler o terceiro brevemente.
Alaina
It definitely had it's ups and downs.

I'm not quite sure if Predator's Gold fell into the second book syndrome.. but it did have it's fair share of moments. I love the world building and all that jazz.. but the romance part of this book just threw me for a loop. I don't really understand the drunken kiss.. or why that girl thought she could replace my girl Hester in his mind.. but whatever - the kiss happened.

I love Tom and Hester, nothing will make me unlove them. But something was definitely o
Kirsten
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5
Daphne
Edit 5-9-18: After a few days of thinking about it, lowered the rating to 3 stars after all.
---
I went back and forth on my rating for this, but in the end I'm deciding on four stars simply because there were a lot of worldbuilding elements I really enjoyed in this book, even though I felt like the plot wasn't nearly as strong as the first one.

I really loved Mortal Engines when I read it, and maybe loving the first book so much had set my expectations for the second one a bit too high. While I re
Mathew
5 stars simply for how incredibly well Reeve not only manages his plot to perfection but also the clanger of an ending. I had only read Mortal Engines and bought the rest of the series donkey's years ago when they first came out. I am finding them hugely enjoyable and like the fact that Reeve is testing themes and character by pushing some into zones that some readers might question, morally. To me these books are a little like ''what if Dickens had written post-apocalyptic novels'.
Catherine
Hannah Jayne
Книжни Криле
Том Натсуърти и Хестър Шоу някак си съумяха да оцелеят сблъсъка с всички „Смъртоносни машини”, които немилостивият Филип Рийв им бе приготвил. Но да си отдъхнат няма време, защото постапокалиптичният стиймпънк екшън продължава „с пълна пара” в „Хищническо злато” (изд. „Егмонт България”). Прочетете ревюто на "Книжни Криле": https://knijnikrile.wordpress.com/201...
Gary M.
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La continuación de Máquinas mortales, libro que será llevada al cine por Peter Jackson (El señor de los anillos, El Hobbit) y se estrenará en enero 2019.

En este libro veremos a Tom y Hester en nuevas aventuras, en esta vez se encuentran con una ciudad “trineo” que deambula en el hielo y se envuelven en una serie de problemas.
Conoceremos nuevos personajes como Freya, Caul, El Tío y volverán varios personajes del primer libro, literalmente volverán jejeje
Divertido, entretenido y sigue la línea
Nicis
No he estado en mi casa y tengo Goodreads 300% desactualizado :C

*La etiqueta "I-want-them-to-die" está dedicada con todo mi corazón a Tom y Hester la verdad. Que Caul se alce como nuevo protagonista, thanks.

Reseña: http://miotrarealidadetinta.blogspot....
Klinta
Dec 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty fucking horrible. It was a cheesy cliche with an incredibly slow start and way too much romance that came out of nowhere. The character's I previously liked, I didn't like anymore and most of the new ones were too minor to like or major, but plainly unlikable. I felt like this book was written by a 14-year-old girl (no offence 14-year-old girls, please), compared to the previous one.

I pushed forward with this book against my will because, I think, if I wouldn't have I would neve
Pamela
I was quite impressed with Reeve's first entry in the Hungry City Chronicles, and was really disappointed in this follow-up. It seems that pretty much most of the action is motivated by angsty teenage love. Again, the only really likeable character is Hester. Tom has, if it's even possible, become even more unsure of himself and more selfish. The two, aboard the now-deceased Anna Fang's airship, land (well, crash is more like it) on the city Anchorage after a mysterious encounter with powerful f ...more
SAB
Just a short review for this one!

What I liked:

- I love the world Philip Reeve has created. It's so imaginative and unlike anything I've read before!
- There is so much action, as well as twists and turns, especially in the last third of the book, that it's super hard to put down. It was definitely a "I'll go to sleep after one more chapter..." kinda thing.
- It's also pretty exciting watching how everything comes together towards the end.

What I didn't like:
- Some of the decisions the main charac
Sesana
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Direct sequel to Mortal Engines. Two years after the destruction of London, Tom and Hester are still together, still flying Anna Fang's airship. In need of cash, they take on the drippingly unscrupulous Pennyroyal. One thing leads to another, and they end up stranded on the moving city of Anchorage, bound for a green America that only Pennyroyal has seen.

Much of the plot is driven by Hester's (as it turns out, reasonable) jealousies and suspicion that she'll lose Tom sooner or later. Freya, the
Ashley
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
That's a V E R Y generous three star there. Had it not been for the last 80 (77 to be exact) pages, this book would've been a very shakey two.
The beginning is slow as fuck, like a road trip that doesn't have a map, nor even a destination. Due to this the faults in characters was easier to see because they had to uphold the story for so long without motivation.
It's two and a half years after the events of the first book and Hester and Tom are going strong, madly in love it seems. Of course this
Wayne
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

Again i enjoyed this although not as much as the first.

The world building is fantastic and even though it seems quite technical and you would think it hard to picture moving and flying cities it works. The places really come alive and the setting really adds to the story. The locations also mirror the people who live there which is also great and not an easy thing to portray.

The characterizations let me down a bit in this one. Tom and Hester just seemed to move away from where they seemed
Vitek Novy
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Název knihy je podle odměny, kterou predátorská města vyplácí vzdušným plavidlům za poskytnutí polohy jiných měst. Bývalému londýnskému historikovi Tomovi se tohle nelíbí, odporuje to teorii municipálního darwinismu, protože tímto se mění tradiční rovnováha a smazává se tím rozdíl mezi silnými, slabými, rychlými a pomalými městy na pásech. Tohle se odehrává dva a půl roku po zničení Londýna kdy Tom a Hester provozují plavidlo co "zdědili" po Anně Fang. Protiměstský odboj si stále myslí že Tom a ...more
Sandra Mariscal
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En esta ocasión no le puedo dar la nota máxima a este libro a causa de Hester. No deja de ser una protagonista que me gusta mucho, pero en este libro la he visto llena de inseguridades por su físico y su relación con Tom ¿Donde se quedó esa muchacha valiente y decidida a todo por sus creencias? No es hasta prácticamente el final que la volvemos a ver. Muchos podrán pensar que sus acciones son imperdonables, que traiciona a los que quiere, pero yo veo una chica con un gran potencial y que puede q ...more
Analyzing Conflict in Predator's gold. Man VS Man 1 5 Feb 26, 2019 03:55PM
  • Skybreaker (Matt Cruse, #2)
  • The Dark Deeps (The Hunchback Assignments, #2)
  • Escapement (Clockwork Earth #2)
  • The Steel Tsar (Oswald Bastable, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Flaming London
  • The Black Lung Captain (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #2)
  • Factotum (Monster Blood Tattoo, #3)
  • Heart of Veridon (The Burn Cycle, #1)
  • Burndive (Warchild #2)
  • The Kingdom Beyond the Waves (Jackelian, #2)
  • A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!
  • Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
  • Iron Angel (Deepgate Codex, #2)
  • Leviathan Rising (Pax Britannia, #2)
  • The Great Game (The Bookman Histories, #3)
Philip Reeve was born and raised in Brighton, where he worked in a bookshop for a number of years while also co-writing, producing and directing a number of no-budget theatre projects.

Philip then began illustrating and has since provided cartoons for around forty children's books, including the best-selling Horrible Histories, Murderous Maths and Dead Famous series.

Railhead, published by Oxford Un

Mortal Engines Quartet (5 books)
  • Night Flights (Mortal Engines Quartet)
  • Mortal Engines (The Hungry City Chronicles, #1)
  • Infernal Devices (The Hungry City Chronicles, #3)
  • A Darkling Plain (The Hungry City Chronicles, #4)
“It would be best to stride in with a cheer "hello!", but she wasn't the cheery sort; she was the "lurking in dark corners" sort. She found a dark corner, behind the Stalker-cases, and lurked.” 2 likes
“What Caul liked most about Tom was his kindness. Kindness was not valued back in Grimsby, where the older boys were encouraged to torment the younger ones, who would grow up to torment another batch of youngsters in their turn. “Good practice for life,” Uncle said. “Hard knocks, that’s all the world’s about!” But maybe Uncle had never met anyone like Tom, who was kind to other people and seemed to expect nothing more than kindness in return.” 2 likes