Start by marking “Yayoi Kusama: From Here to Infinity” as Want to Read:
Yayoi Kusama: From Here to Infinity

Yayoi Kusama: From Here to Infinity

Growing up in the mountains of Japan, Yayoi Kusama (b. 1929) dreamed of becoming an artist. One day, she had a vision in which the world and everything in it—the plants, the people, the sky—were covered in polka dots. She began to cover her paintings, drawings, sculptures, and even her body with dots. As she grew up, she traveled all around the world, from Tokyo to Seattle ...more
Published October 10th 2017 by Museum of Modern Art

To ask other readers questions about Yayoi Kusama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yayoi Kusama

Start your review of Yayoi Kusama: From Here to Infinity
Jon Nakapalau
Fantastic first book on this influential artist and her struggle to be accepted while remaining true to her vision - great for a child who is interested in art.
Cmeiss330
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Yayoi Kusama and this is a nice intro book for children. I do wish that her OCD had been discussed. I know it's a book for kids, but I was diagnosed when I was 7 and it would have been nice to see that representation. That being said, it's a really good book and a nice introduction to Kusama and her unique work. ...more
Marjorie Ingall
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-4-8
Fabulous art, dull text...and as another Goodreads reviewer pointed out, what a missed opportunity to talk about Kusama's OCD. Kids struggle with mental health too; it's a bummer that this teachable moment was lost.

EVERYONE THINKS THEY CAN WRITE A CHILDREN'S BOOK. GUESS WHAT. IT'S HARD.

So: A visually snazzy book for the adult Kusama fan in your life.
reading is my hustle
lovely intro into the life of yayoi kusama.

Rebecca
Nov 13, 2017 marked it as to-read
Thanks to a Goodreads reviewer, I found out that her traveling exhibit is making its US debut in Cleveland in 2018!!!!! *faints* http://www.clevelandart.org/events/ex... ...more
Chance Lee
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice bio of the artist Yayoi Kusama, whom I didn't know about until today. The story is plainly told, but the illustrations pop nicely, mostly due to their source material. Looking forward to doing a craft time with this book and letting kids experiment with colored dots. ...more
Joy
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-biography-ish
Children’s picture book about Kusama
Kate
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this simple picture book bio. Child now obsessed with “Obliteration Room.”
Baby Bookworm
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book for today is Yayoi Kusama: From Here To Infinity, written by Sarah Suzuki and illustrated by Ellen Weinstein, a visually striking picture book biography of the Japanese avant-garde artist.

Yayoi was born in Japan in 1929, into a world of natural beauty and color. As a child, she would paint and draw the world around her – her home city of Matsumoto, the plants in her fam
Fromwordstoworlds
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
"She was devoted to her dots – for her they were a way of thinking about the world among the stars, as one dot among millions of others. They were a way of thinking about infinity."

Born in Japan, in 1929, in a very strict family, Yayoi has struggled to follow the rules and accept her mother’s plans for her. She wanted to make art her own way, travel and see the world.

"Yayoi’s mother wanted her to stay at home and learn old-fashioned manners – how to dress elegantly, walk demurely, eat politely –
Panda Incognito
This picture book biography of Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama has lovely illustrations, but the text is subpar, giving a surface-level view of her life without providing any real insight into her thoughts, feelings, or creative process. I finished the book feeling that I had learned about her artistic work, but that I hadn't learned about her. Then I came here and read other people's reviews, learning from them that Kusama suffers from OCD and has leveraged this as an influence for her art. WHAT? ...more
Francine
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: margo-s-books
One of the best biographical kids’ books out there! The perfect introduction to an incredible artist for my 3-year-old - she asks for it over and over and has been inspired to draw her own infinity rooms. The illustrations are beautiful and the photos at the end are the perfect way to tie it all together and make everything feel more real. And the illustration the MoMa gallery has led to even more questions and discussions about other artists.
Becky B
A picture book biography of artist Yayoi Kusama.

If you love polka dots, you'll definitely want to pick up this picture book biography. I'm not huge into modern art, but I can handle polka dots. And some of Yayoi's artwork is quite clever. An interesting little look at a Japanese American artist who defies conventions.

Notes on content: The depiction of Yayoi in the MoMA shows her in front of a modernist art piece that includes naked women.
Barbara
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
The unique Japanese artist, Yayoi Kusama, works as a painter, sculptor, fabric artist and so much more. From Here to Infinity by Sarah Suzuki tells a colorful story of a girl who just wanted to create.
This picture book biography also includes photographs of her original work. Children might find lots of ideas for creativity in this little gem for ages 5 - 10. Kids might enjoy this website from the Tate Museuem about the Artist.
Blanco Meyers
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
So many books recommended for Women's History Month are about the same women we've learned about since my mother was in elementary school (mid to late 1970's).
And while those women are no less important today, I wanted to learn about someone new.

I liked this book, but it felt incomplete. I wanted to know more about why Kusama covers her art with dots.
Julia Bennett
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book tells a condensed version of artist Yayoi Kusama's life. It's inspiring to read about her never giving up on the style she loved to create, which would be encouraging for kids to read. Shows photographs of some of her artwork, and a beautiful installation room that inspired the title and cover design. ...more
Sasha
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was just teaching my students about innovative artists (Tomas Saraceno, Yayoi Kusama, Christo, Alexa Meade, etc.) last Friday, so when I saw this book in a thrift store, I had to snatch it up and read it that evening. I was expecting lavish illustrations and a brief synopsis of famous exhibits of Kusama's, which would help my ESOL students better engage with the subject matter, but instead, I would say the book was more biographical, and the pictures were very simplistic and were more backgrou ...more
Aolund
An informative, quick-moving biography of Yayoi Kusama, groundbreaking Japanese modern artist. Doesn't get bogged down in trying to share every detail of Kusama's life, instead focusing on big moments and threading through Kusama's artistic concerns by gently underlining all the times the infinite is present in the every day.

Themes: Artists, Heroines,
Ages: 7-12
Crystal M
This picture book biography missed a crucial aspect of YKs life- her mental health and it’s challenges. This book had a great opportunity to talk about mental illness and reduce stigma about it and demystify it for kids, but it chose to not comment on that at all, which does nothing to reduce stigma and misconceptions. But other than that it was good.
Stephanie
Nice beginner's bio on Yayoi Kusama with a collaboration from MOMA. Kusama is an interesting artist and I am not necessarily a fan of her artwork but I think she's someone to be aware of. Kusama is 91 years old and continues to paint everyday. She is also the top selling female artist in the world.

Ellen Weinstein's illustrations are really great.
Amy
Apr 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Artist Yayoi Kusama has lived a life outside the cultural norms of Japanese society. She decided to become an artist and is now famous for her polka dot art pieces. She sees the dots as stars in the universe. If you are looking for books about female artists, people who live their own path or just want to read about something different, take a look at this!
Leslie
I visited the Yayoi Kusama exhibit yesterday at the Seattle Art Museum. It was spectacular and I bought this book for our public library collection. It's a nice introduction to Kusama and her life story. I hope it will inspire young artists to follow their dreams too. 3.5 stars. ...more
Carly
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this. The illustrations are bright and beautiful. This is a story of a strong and talented little girl who grew up to be a strong and talented woman who perseveres and finds success doing what she loves.
Tracy Holland
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yayoi Kusama was told her artwork was no good. In the pursuit of her artistic talent, Yayoi overcomes criticism and pursues her style, finding success. the pictures of this book are brilliant. Students are introduced to the unique style of this Japanese artist.
Cara Byrne
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet biography of a great artist who defied expectations and found relief in dots. I appreciate how the book includes beautiful color photographs of her work as well - including her infinity room.
Lisa K
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice picture-book biography of Yayoi Kusama, accessible to early grader schoolers. Includes photos of Kusama's works as well as the illustrations that incorporate them.

Because I imagined reading it aloud with a kid, I wished it had provided pronunciation help for the artist's name.
Kirsti
A great and colorful introduction to Kusama's work. This is a children's book, so it's been somewhat sanitized—there's no mention of suicide attempts or mental hospitals and only a brief mention of sexism. ...more
Kaitlyn Riggio
Jul 21, 2020 rated it liked it
I agree with a lot of the other reviews on here. The illustrations were fantastic but the text was a little dull. Either way, it’s a great introduction to Kusama for children or any one looking to start learning.
Michelle
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely book, sent to me by mistake in an ILL. I loved it! Kusama is an important and intriguing artist. This would be a great way to introduce her work and discuss how artists get and stay motivated. Recommended for school and museum libraries!
Karen
An interesting artist with her own vision. Connected her ideas to her childhood.

• Love Is Powerful
  • What Can a Citizen Do?
  • Bloom: A Story of Fashion Designer Elsa Schiaparelli
  • The Empty Pot
  • Hi, Konnichiwa: Yayoi Kusama Art Book
  • A Computer Called Katherine: How Katherine Johnson Helped Put America on the Moon
Sarah Suzuki is a Curator in the Department of Drawings and Prints at The Museum of Modern Art, New York.