Start by marking “Healthyish: A Cookbook with Seriously Satisfying, Truly Simple, Good-For-You (but not too Good-For-You) Recipes for Real Life” as Want to Read:

Healthyish is recipe developer Lindsay Maitland Hunt’s totally doable, delicious, and dead-simple cookbook, helping us to eat how we all want to eat—healthy, but with an occasional bit of decadence.

Lindsay Maitland Hunt is an expert recipe developer who has created recipes for everyone from college students to busy families to seasoned home cooks. Now, she brings her trad
Published January 9th 2018 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Healthyish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healthyish

Healthyish is a cookbook designed for actual cooking by home cooks and the author: Lindsay Maitland Hunt expects this book to get stained, bookmarked, and written in. When selecting these recipes, she chose the ones that taste good without guilt, had ingredients you can get at any grocery store, could cook in a reasonable amount of time, and not leave a kitchen full of time-consuming cleanup.

Healthyish consists of recipes for breakfast, snacks, lunch, soups, vegetarian dinners, chicken/turkey,
Haley
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ng
I received a copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review!

Not only does this cookbook offer easy, delicious recipes but a good message too, balanced eating. Often times I find myself looking at cookbooks that are either filled with unhealthy recipes or recipes that cut out a bunch of things like carbs or fats. Healthyish was really refreshing and overall enjoyable to read and look at. There was a picture for almost every recipe and the ingredients were things you've actually heard of. The
Kristie
Oct 23, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: food, 2018, netgalley
I received a copy of this through NetGalley, however there is an issue with my download and I can only see several random pages. I hope to get the issue resolved before the pdf expires so that I can give an honest review. It looks like the perfect cookbook for me!
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

This is a really balanced, beautifully designed book which has plenty of recipes you'd actually want to cook

I love the vast array of (very lovely) photos accompanying most of the recipes - it's great to have visual aids and see how something should look! - and the instructions are clear and easy to follow. I really liked that the recipes are so balanced and seem to be really healthy without being boring or plain.

The ingredients aren't ridiculous and won't c
Rejena
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So I'm in love with this cookbook. As someone with a challenging job and a lovely but (understandably) demanding two-year-old daughter who's trying to do the 80/20 thing with eating right and cooking more, I struggle with recipes that require more than five ingredients or (let's face it) more than 10 minutes of attention at a time. The dishes are simple, easy (for a semi-experienced cook) and taste really, really good. They also make you proud to pull them out for the inevitable desk lunch most ...more
Koren
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I really enjoyed this cookbook. I am probably somewhat of a cookbook junkie. In the days of Pinterest where it is so easy to have a recipe at the tips of your fingers, I still like to have a hard copy of my favorites on my shelf. This is going to be one of them. Every section and every page had clear direction. The author wasn't overly wordy, just right to the point of how my mind thinks...how can I do something quick and still have it be healthy? I felt the grace in her mantra of being "healthy ...more
Shipshapeeatworthy
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Healthyish by Lindsay Maitland Hunt arrived in my mailbox I couldn’t wait to get started and her healthyish cookbook made it so easy for me by offering recipes that took honest, regular pantry staples (nothing expensive or anything that required a special trip to purchase) that could be quickly turned into a tasty meal.

The entire time I’ve been cooking from Healthyish I kept thinking of that Julia Child quote –“You don’t have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces — just good food from f
Hana Curry
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Beautiful to look at! This cookbook would be good for someone newer to cooking or is just starting their recipe collection. I did take away a few recipes for sauces and dressings though.
Brittany Busboom-Miller
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this cookbook! Beautiful photos to accompany most recipes and they are the exact portion size the recipes call for. The recipes are unique, easy to follow and healthyish. I am hoping to buy this cookbook and test out many of the saved recipes from all sections in this cookbook.
Kelly Barton
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anyone and everyone needs this cookbook! I’m picky and meticulous about the cookbooks I choose to invest in, and I couldn’t be happier with Healthyish!! I have a feeling that I’ll be obsessed with this one for awhile!
Kristin
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Of the five cookbooks I own, this one is my favorite. So far I've tried four of the recipes; I plan on making all of them again and two of them were delicious. The recipes are easy and use healthy ingredients. I'm looking forward to trying more of them.
Bridget
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delicious!

This was a very interesting cookbook with a lot of fresh ideas and recipes that are realistic to make with readily available ingredients. I really enjoyed it!
Ariste Egan
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful recipes !!! -- perfect combinations of healthy and decadent. Filled with useful tips for the home cook.
Melissa
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great starter cookbook for people starting their healthy eating journey.
Fullfaun
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking-food
So many great ideas for swaps and inventing new snacks
Stephanie Mater
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this cookbook! I got it from the library, but am going to purchase my own copy because I want to make so many recipes. The recipes are all very approachable and look delicious.
Joanne
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simple, healthy recipes. Great pictures. Inspired me to cook and try to improve my eating habits.
Luca
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a digital review copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. My review is susceptible to changes in the final copy of this work.
The cover of this book is all that I expect from a ‘healthy cookbook’. It has vibrant colors and it makes me want to go shopping for fresh fruits and veggies immediately. The description “A cookbook with seriously satisfying, truly simple, good-for-you (but not too good-for-you) recipes for real life” fits perfectly with the cookbook I
Sharon
Abrams and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Healthyish. I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Healthyish includes recipes for the busy families who are looking for meals that are tasty, nutritious, and not too time consuming. Above all, the recipes within the pages of the cookbook provide a balance of vegetables and whole grains, but with less nutritious and flavorful accents to bring excitement to the food.

The cookbook starts off with a wel
Shar
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: female-authors
RATE REASON: I like how Hunt describes the best recipes as similar to being the best people: "patient, forgiving, playful." Also, just general good life advice in terms of how oscillating between two extremes (unhealthy but fun versus healthy but boring) isn't the best way to maintain balance. Another piece of advice that could apply for life is being nice to yourself. Try new things but also give yourself permission to take it easy - and that cooking gets easier over time.

She acknowledges her c
Janet
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
From the publisher - (edited for length)
Healthyish is recipe developer Lindsay Maitland Hunt’s totally doable, delicious, and dead-simple cookbook, helping us to eat how we all want to eat—healthy, but with an occasional bit of decadence in her debut cookbook, Healthyish.
For anyone on the move, working long hours, and trying to eat a bit more healthfully, Healthyish offers 131 satisfying recipes with
Mary
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Hunt, recipe tester for Real Simple and other websites, tackles the project of creating an accessible healthy cookbook for everyday meals that taste great. Flavor is not sacrificed for health and the emphasis is on balance but also on perception: to Hunt it’s important that the plate looks full. Hunt wants the recipes to be ready for immediate cooking as well as planning, so the ingredients are mainly those that can be found in your pantry or fridge. There are some noted exceptions that Hunt ind ...more
Sharon
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Great collection of beautiful looking recipes with just the right amount of healthy, just easy and simple enough, but just "fancy" enough ideas. Some of the recipes are going to go into my regular rotation.
What I made so far:
Turmeric Horchata Smoothie (delicious, way more filling than expected)
Truly Delicious Energy Bites (so good! and different than the usual bites)
Tangy Chicken Salad Tartine (easy and tasty lunch; love how there are breakfast and lunch recipes for 1-2 people)
Sausage, Potato, W
Phyllis
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I sat down and read this in one afternoon - cover to cover, actually exclaiming out loud over many of the recipes. I couldn't put it down and can't wait to try many of these recipes. Beautiful photos, creative recipes, honest and personable prose. I really liked Hunt's perspective of good-for-you (but not too good for you) food. No ingredients are considered "bad" when used in moderation. From the appetizers, to the breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, and desserts - yummy food you'll feel good ...more
Jessica
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks-2018
Lindsay Maitland Hunt's premise for this cookbook is to make it easier to make healthyish meals at home - whether you're new to cooking or just looking for some quick recipes to make when you get home from work at the end of the day. In her introduction she talks about getting home cooks to test her recipes to make sure they are clear and easy enough for ANYONE to make. The recipes are organized like many cookbooks by meal/type - breakfast, snacks, lunch, soup, vegetarian, etc. But I really like ...more
Emilia P
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this by way of a really great Instagrammer from my hometown who I found by way of ...her liking something I made from Smitten Kitchen a year ago? And she made a bean and egg skillet from this that was really good? A lot of this was avocado toasty and mushy oatmeals but also a lot of it was VEGETABLES. AND MEATS. In reasonable combinations. And altogether it made all of it look more appetizing. I only made a few things from it, but there was a really good Caesar Salad with lots of extra s ...more
Joan
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-z-2017, cookbooks
I don't know about the title matching the recipes, all the recipes were very healthy, nothing ish about them.
Most had less then 7-8 ingredients and would make up quickly. You will have to have a very very well stocked pantry with lots of fresh veggies.
Unique smoothies and treats recipes, I liked the open faced sandwiches too.
I am anxious to try the one peanut butter chocolate cookie recipe, yup, you make just one cookie and no baking!
Nice pictures and easy to follow directions and fun to rea
Sarah Lee
Great book with realistic recipes. Recipes were easy to understand for both new cooks and experienced cooks. No off the wall hard to find ingredients, some might be new to people who are learning to cook from scratch and eat healthier. This would be a great book for a new cook or someone transitioning from poor cooking/eating habits to something a bit more healthy but not ready to go full on yet.
Bibi
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved and highly recommend this book! I’m a big cookbook gal and love trying new recipes, but one thing that always bothers me are the 9 million ingredients and 750 steps that take 8 hours to make. Not this bad boy!! It had simple, delicious, and healthyish , like the name suggests, recipes. The photography was amazing as well! I will definitely be purchasing a couple for friends and family.

** I received an ARC via Netgalley from Abrams in exchange for an honest review. **
Yvonne
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Healthyish features recipes of the variety that I like to prepare: delicious, inventive and made with real, easy-to-find ingredients. The added bonus is the author uses everyday language and has created some great meal ideas that can be done in half an hour or less. A great handbook for anyone who would like to make healthy family meals but doesn't want to spend several house doing it.

• Adventures in Slow Cooking: 120 Slow-Cooker Recipes for People Who Love Food
  • The Southern Vegetarian Cookbook: 100 Down-Home Recipes for the Modern Table
  • Tacolicious: Festive Recipes for Tacos, Snacks, Cocktails, and More
  • Herbivoracious: A Flavor Revolution with 150 Vibrant and Original Vegetarian Recipes
  • Now & Again: Go-To Recipes, Inspired Menus  + Endless Ideas for Reinventing Leftovers
  • One Pan & Done: Hassle-Free Meals from the Oven to Your Table
  • Frugal Vegan: Affordable, Easy & Delicious Vegan Cooking
  • Salad for President: A Cookbook Inspired by Artists
  • Dinner: Changing the Game: A Cookbook
  • King Solomon's Table: A Culinary Exploration of Jewish Cooking from Around the World
  • Food Swings: 125+ Recipes to Enjoy Your Life of Virtue and Vice
  • Kachka: A Return to Russian Cooking
  • Cherry Bombe: The Cookbook
  • Nopalito
  • Love Real Food: More Than 100 Feel-Good Vegetarian Favorites to Delight the Senses and Nourish the Body
  • One to Five: One Shortcut Recipe Transformed Into Five Easy Dishes