Start by marking “Suee and the Shadow” as Want to Read:
Suee and the Shadow

Suee and the Shadow

Meet Suee: Twelve years old, wears her hair to the left in a point, favors a black dress, has no friends—and she likes it that way! When Suee transfers to the dull and ordinary Outskirts Elementary, she doesn’t expect to hear a strange voice speaking to her from the darkness of the school’s exhibit room, and she certainly doesn’t expect to see her shadow come to life. Then ...more
Published September 19th 2017 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Suee and the Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suee and the Shadow

Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

Well the start was good, but sadly at page 80 I was just dreadfully bored and I didn't know if I would finish it. But in the end I finished it! Yay!

I will be doing a good/bad review.

Good:
-Haeun. I just adored that girl from the start. She was sweet, adorable, and even though she isn't the smartest she was the nicest of our trio. I felt sorry for her for being bullied. :( I wanted to just reach in the book and smack those mean gi
Skye Kilaen
Our spookiness-loving household ate up this graphic novel. Suee, our heroine, is a spiky character who masks her loneliness with arrogance and suspicion. When she moves to a new town and school, an encounter with a strange voice in an empty room ends up with Suee's shadow coming to life. That's only the beginning of the weirdness. When her classmates start turning into zombie-like ambulatory husks, Suee has to start learning how to work with other kids to stop the evil. And working with other pe ...more
Kayla (onthefritz)
A dark, middle grade story on friendship and being kind to others.

The artwork and coloring is beautiful. A dark, muted tone that plays well with the darker story and a story about shadows. It felt like the plot was just getting started when the story ended. It ends openly, so if this story does continue, I feel like it would get better plot wise.

Suee is a grade school version of Daria, so that was fun to read. Very sarcastic with a sharp inner dialogue.
Shenwei
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
😱😱😱suspenseful and spooky also apparently the first in a series so I'm upset I don't have the sequel in my hands😭😭😭
Lena
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-e-copy, arcs
Suee and the Shadow is a beautifully drawn graphic novel with a unique concept.
I absolutely love the art style. It's dark and mysterious and gorgeous. The story is refreshing. I like to pick up a graphic novel/comic every now and then when I need something light to cleanse my reading palette. Suee and the Shadow went by so fast I didn't even realise and it was already over. It was captivating and I wanted, needed, to know what was happening and why.
Suee herself wasn't the most likable of charac
Kat Ice
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Could only give this a 4 out of 5 stars because it was really slow when it started. It seemed like I was reading and not getting any further. But I will say as soon as more exciting things happened it really picked up. It was a good story. I do feel like it could have gotten a little deeper than it was but for a graphic novel in the middle grade section it was good!
Nazarene Static
Suee and the Shadow is a tale of magical realism. it follows a girl named Suee who is trying to handle moving to a new town, an absentee parent, and a school full of people "beneath her".
Suee made my heart ache for her because she is clearly a little girl who is frustrated at her home situation as well as moving to a new town where she knows no one. However, she masks this pain with arrogance and indifference. After an encounter with a mystic shadow that brings her shadow to life. Suee finds her
Destiny Henderson
"Don't look down on me just because I'm stuck to your feet!"

A fun mystery with some dark elements thrown in. Nothing too scary but some shadows get devoured.

I enjoyed cynical, serious "can't laugh at cat videos and gotta wear black clothes every day because she's so beyond these plebians" Suee, their detective trio, and the limited color palette of black, red, cream, white, and murky violet. Haeun and Hyunwoo are characters I want to see more of. The queen bee bully is stereotypical and flat,
Raina
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: j, creepyish, graphicnovel
Yep, creepy.
Give this to fans of Coraline and other J horror. In good company with Nightlights, The Lost Boy by Greg Ruth.

I picked it up to consider for my elementary school visit sweep, but decided that between the darkness and the cultural differences (the education system in Korea is markedly different from the US in ways that might take a reader out of the story), it wasn't quite right for my mass-promo. Will definitely handsell to the GN fans though.

Primarily black/grey/white, with touc
Sara Thompson
Normally I don't announce that I have a review copy - it just doesn't seem that important to me to share. However, I need to make it clear with this one, I had a review copy because most of the book was in black and white with a few random color pages thrown in. I believe this is because I had an unfinished copy. I'm not 100% sure if the book will be completely in color.
I will say that the black and white suited the book nicely. It didn't feel unfinished and the artwork was still crisp and detai
Colona Public Library
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Suee moves to a new place with her dad. She has to start a new school and doesn't feel like making any friends. When she visits the exhibit room, things change. Suddenly her shadow comes alive, while other students lose their shadows. Suee then joins two other students in trying to figure out what is causing this phenomenon.
The illustrations were gorgeous. The color scheme is mainly black, red, and gray. It really made it easy and enjoyable to read.

~April
Katie B.
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun story and great illustrations. Reminds me of the Emily the Strange comics I read in middle school. Highly recommend this goth-y middle grade reader graphic novel. Full of cynicism, snark, darkness, and a precocious main character.
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suee gave me hardcore Emily the Strange vibes, which I was hugely obsessed with in high school.
I really liked her as a character even with all her flaws. I really liked this book it was super cute and fun. 4/5 stars!
Rebecca Petruck
Suee is exactly the creepy adventure I hoped it would be. But, it also touched a nerve. As a kid, I wanted to be tough and not care what anyone else thought, even if I was "mean." I also wanted to believe I'd do the right thing if I witnessed injustice, despite the evidence from times I didn't. It was like Suee pressed all the bruises on my psyche that I thought had faded. This may seem like an uncomfortable feeling, but it was freeing to read her story. Ly acknowledges the borderlands children ...more
Akoss
This was more a heart warming story to me than a spooky one. BUT don't get me wrong it absolutely has the creepy factor present and VERY MUCH involved.
The reason why I described it so is because of the main character's emotional journey while she tries to solve the mystery of the illness plaguing the children at the new school she just transferred to.
The mystery aspect makes it an excellent page turner and a read-in-one-sitting kind of book.
I really enjoyed it and can't help but hope that perhap
Donald Scott
Suee is a twelve-year-old goth girl-in-training; she dresses in black, has no friends, and seeks to keep it that way even after starting at a new school. A trip to an off-limits room in the school, however, leaves Suee hearing voices - and, eventually, seeing her shadow, which has not only come to life but seems to have truly sinister plans for both Suee and her classmates; perhaps even the entire school! This graphic novel for middle-graders is surprisingly dark and sinister, with a Tim Burton- ...more
Anne
Suee and her dad move from the big city to the outskirts. Her new school has a super creepy exhibition room. In addition, some students are becoming hollow shells, referred to as zeros. Suee notices that her own shadow seems to have a personality and is talking and acting on it's own even though it is still attached to her. She meets Haeun and Hyunwoo and the 3 of them decide to form a club to do something about the creepiness that is taking over the school.
Fans of the dark, creepy, and mysterio
Brandie
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
**Received via a Goodreads Giveaway**

Suee and the Shadow is a cute and somewhat dark story of a 12-year-old transferring to a new school who distances herself from the other students. She makes excuses for not becoming anyone's friend and so attracts something dark and sinister to herself.

All-in-all a good story despite some loose ends/unanswered questions. Why can Haeun see the shadow? (view spoiler)
We should all have compassion. We should all stand up to bullying. We should not bully. Yeah, we've heard this all before, and we know our kids probably know this too, but what do you do when you have no other way to survive then to avoid the bullies and their bullying. Pretend not to notice. Keep to yourself.

In Suee's new school, the kids that get bullied too much get turned into Zeros, or Zombie-like kids. The adults don't notice, but the other kids do. No one know what is making them turn int
Zaquira
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hello, please don’t take anything as definitely good or bad story . I have my opinions and you have your own that each go with other tastes.

Trigger warnings: maybe bullying? It’s s children’s book after all.

First , I honestly have to see why did they have to end it off with a cliff hanger! I mean it , for a horror fantasy children’s graphic novel it was amazing from start to finish!

Second , I love the way that character mostly the mc reminds me of Saiki k from the disastrous life of Sakiki k .
American Mensa
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I've heard of losers, geeks, nerds, and everything else, but 'zero' is a new one." I felt the same as Suee when I opened this extraordinary book. This new idea of "zeros" that Ginger Ly brings into the book adds an exciting new idea on having no personality.

My favorite character is Suee, the main character, because in the beginning of the book she is the new girl. On her first day at her new school she is drawn into the old exhibit room. Then, from the shadows of the exhibit room, Suee hears a
Vicki
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suee Lee and her father recently moved from Bustle Street to Outskirtsville, and Suee is not pleased. While she is weary of her new 5th grade classmates, Suee is used to being alone since her inattentive father began working long hours after her parents divorce. In fact, she prefers it that way - her black dresses, excellent vocabulary, and sarcasm aren’t always appreciated by other twelve year olds. One afternoon after an odd visit to the school’s exhibit room, Suee notices her shadow is talkin ...more
Cai
I didn't read the blurb so I don't know what to expect, and I'm happy that I didn't. It came as a surprise! And I loved the cover. The sinister looking shadow is what made me decide to get a copy of the book.

Suee was introduced as your not-so typical kid, she doesn't want any friends. She liked to be left alone rather than be friends with someone who she believed is below her. I find her a bit rough early on but got to understand her personality better as I continue to read. The plot is excellen
Hilda
This would have been a two if it wasn't for the very apealing sidekicks to the Zero Detective Club. Seriously, Haeun and Hyunwoo were the best! Can we please talk about Haeun's adorable Zero Detective Club dolls and how she made them because and I quote, "I was really happy to be part of the club." I loved this little girl so much and that's such a good thing because Suee was a very jaded little girl. How was she 12? I didn't like her, but she kind of grew on me...like fungus. LOL. Anyways, this ...more
J.D. DeHart
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The artwork and styling of Suee and the Shadow is somewhat reminiscent of Marjane Satrapi and the graphic novel rendition of Coraline. The illustrations and coloring decisions convey the emotions and atmosphere of the story.

This was a fascinating and original concept that had elements of suspense and mystery, and there is some interesting symbolism at work here too. Suffice it to say, beyond the title, that the central character has to deal with a striking supernatural event. As a reader, I enj
Patrycja
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is spooky graphic novel intended for kids ages 9 to 12. I think older kids may enjoy it too. It is a mix of ghost like stories, with elements of detective like actions and adventures. It may be on the creepy side and sometimes I would get lost what actually happened in the story, but overall it is entertaining read.
The arc I read is black and white, but I am assuming the final version will be in color.
The illustrations are super cute. I really enjoyed it.

Synopsis:
Suee, 12 years old girl, m
Annie
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This graphic novel is an odd mix of the life of a middle school misfit, ghost story, and episode of Scooby Doo (I'd have gotten away with it if not for you meddling kids!).

Most of the artwork is black and white interspersed with occasional color panels. I received an early ARC, so I'm not sure whether the final book will have more color or not, but I really think the monotone artwork was perfect for the narrative.

I enjoyed reading this book quite a lot, but was surprised how dark and surreal it
Joanne Myers
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joanne by: Netgalley
Meet Suee. And her shadow. Suee's shadow is not like other shadows. Suee's shadow is alive. Follow Suee's journey as she watches all her "friends" (she prefers not to have any friends) turn into zeroes.

What a cute graphic novel. Originally released in separate issues, this version is the complete issues. I felt like the shadow was the main character when the book was actually about Suee. I loved the way it was written, I can easily see different people viewing it differently.
The illustrations a
Chelsie
Suee is twelve when she transfers to Outskirts Elementary. She’s a loner and has no friends, but doesn’t seem to care to make any. With her black dress and hair swiped to her left, she hears a strange voice coming from the school’s exhibit room. That’s when things get weird. Her shadow comes to life, appearing when she’s angry. Then her classmates turn into zombies-like Zeroes, while her shadow gains powers. Suee investigates to uncover the secret hiding under her two feet.

Ghost story meets Scoo
Sarah Hay
Suee is not happy about being at a new school. She decides that she does not care for the kids at her new school, none of them seem like good friend material so she plans to keep to herself. When Suee's shadow starts talking to herself she finds a good reason to keep to herself, they would all think she was crazy if they heard her talking to a shadow. But, when kids at the school start acting like zombies Suee finds that if she wants to figure out what is going on she might need to let someone h ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Cici's Journal: The Adventures of a Writer-In-Training
  • The Dragon Slayer: Folktales from Latin America
  • Cosmic Commandos
  • Finding Langston
  • The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)
  • The Great Art Caper
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • Star Scouts
  • Lowriders to the Center of the Earth (Lowriders in Space, #2)
  • Attack of the Not-So-Virtual Monsters (Gamer Squad #1)
  • My Year in the Middle