Start by marking “The New Bohemians Handbook: Come Home to Good Vibes” as Want to Read:
The New Bohemians Handbook: Come Home to Good Vibes

The New Bohemians Handbook: Come Home to Good Vibes

The New Bohemian Handbook guides readers in beautifully simple techniques for adding good vibes and style to living spaces. Packed with hundreds of ideas for bringing positive energy to your home, the book features exercises and activities for thinking about rooms in new ways.

With Justina’s expert guidance, learn how to rearrange, paint, prop, and plant your way to a ho
Published October 10th 2017 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The New Bohemians Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Bohemians Handbook

Rebecca
Flipped through -- gorgeous, light-filled eye candy from the creator of Jungalow.com and The New Bohemians, one of my favorite decorating books of late. I liked her ideas very much, though I was disappointed to see "What is your spirit animal?" as a style quiz. I understand the common use of this term as a shortcut for describing what you really identify with, but a google of "spirit animal appropriation" can begin to show the problems with this term when used this way.
Flavia
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book. This book! Alright. So I found out about this book through an entirely different channel than I usually do. I signed up to receive emails from domino.com some months ago because they share some really inspiring photos of homes and home decor. Well, in early October, one of the emails from them contained a photo that was absolutely gorgeous and colourful, and I clicked the link below it. It took me to this article on domino.com, which features some photos of Justina’s work (which I fin ...more
Annie ⚜️
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, gorgeous book! I wanted to crawl into the pages. Simple, straightforward decorating advice. Nothing crazy or fancy. Things I could get up and do with (mostly) things I already had. Inspired me to rearrange my furniture, bring out some old favorites, rekindle my love of plants and sources of good energy. Not everything was my cup of tea but so much inspiration and fun.
Maggie
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVE. MUST OWN. REDOING ENTIRE HOME ON ZERO DOLLARS. PLANTS, PATTERNS & CRYSTALS EVERYWHERE.
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book helped me decide that I am NOT bohemian.
Brenda Smoak
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book with wonderful ideas, some of which I’ve already implemented. I’m giving 4 stars instead of 5 because the book looks and feels like a school textbook. With such heady information this should have been a soft cover with ragged edge pages - that would have sealed the deal for me. But aesthetics aside, read this book, you’ll be happy you did!
Elissa
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I actually learned things from this book as regards concepts and rules of decorating and making a space work and feel balanced. I don’t usually get a lot from specific lifestyle books like this.

I found it offensive though that one of Blakeney’s quick ideas was to display holy objects and deity statues because they make her feel “happy and relaxed.” And they bring “joy and calm.” I think this is a gross oversimplification of how objects affect a space and the people and more respect should be pa
Brianne
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: home-decor, lifestyle
This is a truly beautiful book - Blakeney's aesthetic is on point in so many ways and the book itself is just gorgeous to behold - BUT. BUT BUT BUT. I am o-v-e-r over interior designers (largely white ladies might I add) using "spirit animal" and using religious objects from marginalized people as home decor. It's garbage. It's also garbage that she took it one further and went into "spirit environment" and "spirit plant" (really?). You're not native. You don't have a fucking spirit animal. Peri ...more
Dale Cousins
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book made me laugh aloud! Don’t get me wrong; I mean no offense; the book is beautifully done. I often joke about having a red neck latent hippie decorating style and this book is the California version of that!! Lots of rafia, rattan, flea market, futon, pillow etc touches with many many plants. It was fun to browse through.
Artemisia Hunt
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-a-copy
As decorating books go, anything that features a Bohemian approach really grabs hold of my heart. I don’t know where this began for me, but probably in my paternal grandparents’ early 20th century LA area bungalow, where vivid colors, kitschy antiques and lots of textiles seemed to create a cozy kind of clutter that felt natural, uncontrived and quite homey. And a home that perfectly expressed the personalities and passions of my free-spirited grandparents themselves. This is the same decorating ...more
Jackie
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Whether or not you will like this book comes down to whether or not it's your aesthetic. It happens to be mine, so I enjoyed the pictures. The text was infinitely skippable; like most magazine articles, this book offers generic advice you've heard a thousand times from a thousand other places. It's not breaking any new ground. But the pictures are great! I will give her kudos for including a guide to some boho textiles that I otherwise would not have been able to give a name to. However, and thi ...more
Penny
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I felt viscerally drawn to this book. I have a thing for Bohemian style, although I tend to have a more traditional home, but this book gave me so many ideas for ways I could enrich my space, add more color and texture, and adapt what I currently have to a more free spirited style. It's beautifully produced, with so many pictures from which to draw inspiration. And that tended to be a slight drawback ... some of the pictures were so small that it wasn't always easy to pick out the distinctive de ...more
Jackie
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I am decorating a house from scratch, and this was a great aspirational guide. I felt at times torn: On the one hand, I find the people who think (and decorate) this way to be insufferable, but at the same time, I love the colors and designs... so I decided to read this cover to cover and take what is useful.

Some things that will stick with me:
-If you're not sure how to liven a place up, add a lot of plants
-Environments, not just colors, can be good guides to building a room vibe
-Start designing
Melody
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I wish it had been 50% more photos and 70% less words.

Aside from multiple instances of the cringey use of "spirit animal/twin/plant", this is a beautiful design book. Nothing but full color photographs for this book and they were lovely to look at. Kudos for whoever got this group of immaculately decorated homes together. I was inspired and I plan on coming back to this book when it's time to decorate my new home
Liv
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! But, if you are not into plants, crystals, aromatherapy and a bit of feng shui.. this book may not be of interest to you. However, for this closet ' hippy' , I devoured not only the easy to read and inspiring suggestions, but all of the glorious photography too. I loved the idea of creating a sanctuary that is customized to you and I know that this is a book that I will refer back to regularly when seeking lifestyle and interior inspiration.
Alex Hukill
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book for the most part, but it definitely jumped around a lot. The subjects were very loosely related (but they were things that personally interest me, so I can’t really complain).

I think I wanted less abstract and more concrete ideas. All in all, the pictures were great and I read it over the course of an hour or so because I wanted to keep going.
Patricia
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fic, design
Rich, evocative, colorful, inspiring- this design book is great. Even if the bohemian style is not your cup of tea, you can still find useful tips on clarity, picking the right paint, creating storage, etc. Justina Blakeney is unpretentious, genuine, and fun. She has a thoughtful process of designing and seems to want to share good vibes through proper design.
Melissa
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mostly for the pictures—I wanted some ideas of what's out there. Justina's site Jungalow is great inspiration, but it was nice to see some of the variations on staging that she uses. I'm not quite into the tassels and Southwestern flair that she has in a lot of photos, but her use of plants is really pertinent to me.
MoJo
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a fun book to page through, with unexpected tid bits as you peruse it, but nothing unusual enough to make me absolutely thrilled that I bought the book. The photos are nice yet oddly, not particularly compelling. I like it, just don't love it. Someone else just commencing their Bohemian excursion might find it much more exciting than I did.
Stephanie
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, style
I loved looking at the pictures in this book, although I do think the particular asthetics the house-owners in this book create is beyond what most people could, or would want to, create. I enjoyed some of the sections for their information, and some in an ironic fashion, but either way, I enjoyed it!
Karen
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
A lovely physical reading experience with think glossy paper and gorgeous photos. The information was useful in some ways, like considering flow in a room, or ways to move furniture. I didn’t realize there would be such an emphasis on bright colors and crystals, both of which are Not My Vibe for decorating. A mixed bag of useful and not.
Terri
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated blast right out of my 1970s- 80s teenage past - this book was a window directly into bohemian decorating of that time - yet updated to today. A lot more layering of patterns but the same world market style.
Julia
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is filled with lots of looks and ideas. I can imagine a small for me on each page. The colors are vivid and amazing. I LOVE THIS BOOK. I checked it out from my library but I think I will be ordering myself a copy!
Abby Jones
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
While obviously there is a lot of spirituality in this book that I don't agree with, it still has interesting and useful information about how to decorate a home and why to pick the things you pick. Plus, I mean the pictures are beautiful. Wonderful inspiration!
Judi
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference, 2019
Lots of great ideas, beautiful pictures of beautiful spaces and items (such as carpets).
My only negative comment is the pages are not as big as I wish they could be so the details would be more visible to these aging eyes!
Samantha   Vickery
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
lots of great photos and examples. nice additions of crystals and essential oil mixtures to compliment the space. now I want to go search for all of these fun ideas and update the decor in my house.
Rachel Vincent
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bright, colorful, eclectic and whimsy. This book is my personality to a T. 🤩
Tara
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous from start to finish! Justina Blakeney is amazingly talented.
Lindsay Finnell
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
pros: beautiful book, beautiful homes, fun and bright ideas

cons: cultural appropriation abounds, hard yikes
Wendy
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Topics felt pretty scattered, but still - happy eye candy all the same.

• Bazaar Style: Decorating with Market and Vintage Finds
  • Design*Sponge at Home
  • Remodelista: A Manual for the Considered Home
  • Apartment Therapy Presents Real Homes, Real People, Hundreds of Real Design Solutions
  • The Things That Matter
  • The Perfectly Imperfect Home: How to Decorate & Live Well
  • Design Mom: A Room-by-Room Guide to Living Well with Kids
  • Undecorate: The No-Rules Approach to Interior Design
  • Modern Mix: Curating Personal Style with Chic & Accessible Finds
  • Nomad: A Global Approach to Interior Style
  • Fit and Fabulous in 15 Minutes
  • Crafting a Colorful Home: A Room-by-Room Guide to Personalizing Your Space with Color
  • Make Yourself at Home: Discover Your Style and Transform Your Space for Inspired Living
  • The Witch's Book of Self-Care: Magical Ways to Pamper, Soothe, and Care for Your Body and Spirit
  • Flea Market Fabulous: Designing Gorgeous Rooms with Vintage Treasures