Start by marking “I Am a Cat” as Want to Read:
I Am a Cat

I Am a Cat

A simple housecat named Simon encounters some bigger cats: Lion, Puma, Panther, Tiger, and Cheetah. Each of the big cats has something to say about Simon not being “cat” enough. According to them, he just doesn’t measure up. He doesn’t have Lion’s mane or Cheetah’s spots. He doesn’t sleep in trees like Panther or climb mountains like Puma. He’s small and fuzzy, not big and ...more
Published February 6th 2018 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about I Am a Cat, please sign up.
Galia Bernstein Hi, Jane
I Am a Cat came out in the US on Feb 6, 2018.
Hi, Jane
I Am a Cat came out in the US on Feb 6, 2018.
The reason for the 2017 copyright, is that it sold translation rights to 10 languages before it was published and 3 more after (don’t ask me how that happened, I’m still in shock). As a resault, 3 countries - Australia, Japan and Korea - published it in 2017, but as far as the US is concerned, it’s a 2018 book.
(less)

Hilary
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who love beautiful illustrations and cat lovers.
Recommended to Hilary by: Abigail
A young cat called Simon meets some other members of the cat family, a lion, a cheetah, a tiger, a panther and a puma. They do not think that Simon is a cat at first, but after comparing their whiskers, claws, eyes, and tails they realise Simon is a cat, only smaller.

This is a really nice story. The illustrations are wonderful, really beautiful colours and lines, perfect design on each page, the close ups, the symmetry, gorgeous to look at! Highly recommended for those who love beautiful illust
Garrett
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
I wanna snuggle all these cats. Even if one ends up mauling me to death and then eating my carcass. How adorable!
Odette Knappers
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Oh, wat een heerlijk prentenboek. Práchtige illustraties, hartverwarmend, en een enorm leuk verhaal. Echte aanrader!
La Coccinelle
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is a cute book about the things that make us different... but also the things that make us the same.

Simon is just a housecat. When he tells the bigger cats (Lion, Cheetah, Puma, Panther, and Tiger) that he's a cat just like them, they laugh and proceed to point out all the differences. When Simon calls them out on the fact that they're not all the same themselves, the bigger cats then list all the ways in which they're similar. But those things go for Simon, too, and eventually the bigger c
Virginia
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, library
funny, charming, lovely story and message, and the illustrations are purr-fect (i tried, but I could not resist)
Ümit Mutlu
Şimdiye kadar gördüğüm en süper çizimlere sahip resimli çocuk kitabı olabilir.

Bunun dışında, farklılıkların ortak noktasını birleştirme ve elbette bunu çocuklara aktarma konusunda müthiş başarılı.
Molly Walker
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I read this book to my cat and he was not impressed, but I really enjoyed it.
Abigail
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Cat-Lovers / Readers Looking for Humorous Picture-Books
When Simon encounters a group of big cats, he declares that he is one of them, only to be greeted with denial and derision. Where is his mane, the lion wants to know, and where his speed, the cheetah inquires. Cats live in the mountains, the puma tells him, while the panther insists that cats should be black. The tiger, in the meantime, believes they should be orange (and very large!). When Simon presses the issue, he discovers that there are some things shared by all cats, and he gets his wilde ...more
Sandy
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What is a cat? Is it the little kitty that you have in your house? Is it the tiger or the lion that you see at the zoo? Could a cat be a puma, a panther or a cheetah that you see in a picture book? Could it be all of them?

Meet Simon, who claims to be cat. When Simon introduces himself to a bunch of wide-eyed fury animals who claim to be cats, they all laugh at him, they all think he is basically crazy. They try to point out to Simon all the ways that he is not like them. Simon doesn’t have a ma
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Simon considers himself a cat, but Lion, Cheetah, Puma, Panther, and Tiger argue that he is not. A fun little story that teaches quite a bit about the cat family, with expressive illustrations.
DJL
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have a confession to make. I... am such a cat-lover. They are the most darling critters both as domesticated pets and larger wild cats. So this book makes me so happy, especially given the adorable illustrations.

For all cat-lovers whether big or small, this is a great book I recommend to all.
Stuart Rodriguez
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is so good. I’m being 100% serious.

The artwork is both gorgeous and incredibly cute, and the story is laid out with a fantastic sense of comedic timing that’ll entertain both kids and adults. Simon is an adorable protagonist, and the story’s message—don’t judge someone on appearances—is a great one.
Juli Anna
I can foresee this becoming a beloved classic. The story is simple, universal, and expressive, with just the right amount of humor and a subtle anti-prejudice undercurrent. I loved the classic quality of the illustrations, reminiscent of 1960's Disney films like 101 Dalmations. And Simon the cat is a supremely sensible, lovable character. A little gem.
Lynda
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
“They were a bit mean at first but I learned about cat things and then they played together.” - V, age 4
Cheryl
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, children-s
Simon is a domesticated kitten who encounters other members of the cat family. He introduces himself to a lion, panther, tiger, cheetah, and puma. How can they all be called cats? All of the other cats are incredulous that Simon would call himself a cat!

Young children will be drawn in to Simon's delightful story as Bernstein skillfully points out the differences and similarites between members of the cat family. Her illustrations are wonderful!
This is a great book for parents to read to their yo
Nancy
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I love Gailia Bernstein's insight into the diversity of felines. This is a wonderful book to share with young readers who can compare and contrast domestic cats, lions, tigers, etc. The illustrations are fun and bring to life the qualities of wild and domestic cat species. A must add to any biodiversity bookshelf. (Anyone else have one of those, besides me?)
Jennifer Kelley
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!
Simon is a cat, but the big cats disagree.
Jaena Rae
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm biased. I love cats.
Ariel
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
The expressions on all the cats were very well drawn indeed.
Jason
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, cats
Entertaining and educational on the surface, but then it's also about not letting others get you down because they don't fit *your* definition of what this-or-that is. Usually, they're wrong, anyway.
Sassy
Adorable! The spreads with all the cats together are the best!
Marathon County Public Library

What happens when Simon, a normal house cat, tells a group of big cats from around the world that he is just like them? They are stunned, and then laugh hysterically! Lion, Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, and Tiger each go on to tell Simon how they differ and how Simon is not "cat" enough. The lion has a mane and roars, Simon doesn't have a mane, nor can he roar. The cheetah can run faster than anyone in the world; can Simon outrun her? Doubtful. Simon goes on to show the big cats that although he is sma

pati
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Meow! cats are the best.
Tegan
Super cute! A fun way to teach kids about different cats, but also how they're from the same family. Simon reminds me of my cat, Indy. Illustrations are really cute, too.
Lindsey
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats, kids
I know at least five cat lovers off the top of my head who would find this picture book adorable. the illustrations are fantastic and expressive. Bless chubby, tenacious Simon!
Peacegal
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolute delight! The illustrations and storyline remind one of the classic animated shorts from The Wonderful World of Disney. Share this one with cat lovers young and old!
l.
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Why are none of the cats specifically gendered as female? Lol. What an omission when talking about difference.
Baby Bookworm
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is the silly and simple I Am A Cat by Galia Bernstein, a delightful tale of what makes us different and what makes us the same.

A smallish, tubby gray housecat meets with a group of big cats (consisting of a lion, a cheetah, a puma, a panther, and a tiger), and introduces himself as one of their own. The five beasts stare a moment, then break into uproarious laught
Mehsi
Ik ben een kat! Echt waar!

Een heerlijk kat-tastisch boek over een kleine kat en een stel grotere katten. Alleen de kleine kat wordt, door de grotere, niet gezien als kat. Maar ja, die katten hebben ansich al een vreemd beeld wat een kat nou is.

Ik moest heerlijk lachen om onze katten en wat zij nou als eerste vonden dat je als kat moest hebben. Van manen tot een zwarte vacht. Gelukkig is onze kleine kat niet op zijn bekje gevallen en spreekt hun dingen meteen tegen! Wat daarna gebeurd, tja, dat z
mary dewley
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
How can you not love Simon the gray tabby cat! Even on the cover of Bernstein's book, Simon sits in front of a puma, leopard and puma like he's the boss. He's got cat-itude. He's not going to let these predators keep him from joining in, even when they try to dissuade him that he is not a cat like them. They laugh at him at first and then each one explains what makes them a cat.

But Simon is very clever. He understands how the cats share the same traits, but he also sees the difference that make
  • Cat Knit
  • Niblet & Ralph
  • Plume
  • Blue Ethel
  • Alfie: (The Turtle That Disappeared)
  • Hello Hello (Books for Preschool and Kindergarten, Poetry Books for Kids)
  • I Hate My Cats (A Love Story)
  • It's All About Me-Ow
  • Kitten and the Night Watchman
  • Stack the Cats
  • Star Wars: Are You Scared, Darth Vader?
  • Archie Snufflekins Oliver Valentine Cupcake Tiberius Cat
  • The Wolf, the Duck, and the Mouse
  • Mummy Cat
  • My Pillow Keeps Moving
  • A Perfect Day
  • Cat Nap
  • If You Were a Dog
Galia Bernstein was born and raised in Israel. She started her career as a designer and illustrator for the Israeli Army’s magazine. She later studied illustration at Parsons School of Design at the New School and now works as a full-time freelance illustrator. She lives in New York City.