Start by marking “I Can Read You Like a Book” as Want to Read:
I Can Read You Like a Book

I Can Read You Like a Book

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  359 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Body language makes up a big part of interpersonal communication & this book offers readers the chance to learn what it is all about.
Published March 15th 2007 by Red Wheel/Weiser (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about I Can Read You Like a Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Can Read You Like a Book

Vannessa Anderson
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Authors Hartley and Karinch research of body defining language was impressive.

I Can Read You Like A Book is one of the better books on the market about said subject. I Can Read You Like A Book was an impressive read in that authors Hartley and Karinch actually understands what’s involved when it comes to understanding how to read people.

Extreme Examples That Affect Body Language

1) Sunna circumcision
2) Pederasty
3) Scarification

The authors ask before you read I Can Read You Like A Book to forget e
Rachel
Dec 24, 2009 rated it liked it
In this book, Gregory Hartley applies his knowledge of successful interrogation practices to teach his readers to apply these practices in other settings in order to read people’s body language and better understand the framework in which they are operating. There are innumerable benefits to being able to read the hidden messages of those around you, and Hartley is careful to point out that these skills should be used for good instead of evil—in other words, his readers should apply these “readi ...more
Molly Miltenberger
Dec 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
Super intriguing, but this could have been much more so if he actually attempted any sort of conclusion.

I liked: that he took into account cultural trappings, that he didn't ask for a motive for scratching your nose, that he used examples from current celebrities. I was a little turned off by being consistently referred to as a shaved ape, but I got over that - he did a good job of stripping off the layers of civilization what have you and stopped repeating himself once he got into the actual bo
Oz Barton
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
DNF.

I picked this up from the library, partly out of curiosity, but mostly as supplemental research for a story I'm working on.

Basically, text is not a very helpful way to learn how to read people. The writing was clear enough (despite very much wanting a heavy proofread) but although I would nod with understanding while actually reading, once I pulled my eyes from the page and started watching real people, I suddenly realized that I had no idea what the authors were talking about.

I got a few us
Heidi The Hippie Reader
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I thought that the most interesting part of this was his analysis of the body language of politicians and actors. Greg Hartley is clearly very skilled at deciphering non-verbal communication, but his book doesn't really impart this knowledge in a simple manner. Some of his suggestions for reading and influencing body language in the workplace seemed downright dangerous to the reader's career. I do think that there's some useful information in 'I Can Read You Like A Book' but I would be hesitant ...more
Mimi
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, psychology

I loved every imformation that this book gave me.The way it taught about people's behaviour and meaning.What to rely on and what will come next.
The author comprised the body language in every situation that i could think of.I felt like i learned so much about body language in just a couple days reading this book.It had a lot of interesting imformation.
I will definitely read his other books.
Diane
Apr 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
Written by a former(?) interrogator for the US Army this book will give you the basics of reading the body language of others. It also includes and uncomfortable amount of information on how to manipulate people into feeling certain emotions (e.g., relief, trust) and getting them to do what you want. The author does warn that you need to be skilled to succeed at this or suffer the consequences.
P Chulhi
Nov 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
The strength of this book is the author's focus on principles of reading body language based on context, especially culture. Unfortunately, the author has far too few examples for the reader to get a clear picture of what he means. Still, the book did set me on a useful path toward how to approach reading body language.
Tiago
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Gregory and Maryann have three books on body language and all of them are FANTASTIC. I reviewed them here and this one I most definetly recommend.
Stephanie
Feb 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
People say a lot with their bodies. Most don't realize how much they say and how their body language can contradict or emphasize the things they say. This book does not list all the little gestures and stances that people do and tell you what they mean. It does tell you how to read people, how to observe, and how to analyze what you see. Very useful for those who want to learn more about how people communicate.
Marci
Sep 16, 2008 rated it liked it
The author was obviously an expert in his field, however, not such a great author. While I found some of his examples to be interesting, I dont think he could really teach this subject in writing. He may be able to do an excellent training in person, but it was hard to really learn the subject matter through the book. I only read 2/3 of the book and gave up.
Jane
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
As someone in law enforcement I found this book very useful. If your looking for a book that says "if they are touching their lip they are lying, if they roll their eyes they are avoiding" this isn't the book for you. It gave me alot to think about when trying to read body language, especially understanding my own biases which might inhibit me from accurately reading people
Wellington
Dec 16, 2008 rated it liked it

Fascinating subject. Think that teaching how to read body language would be easier to demonstrate in real life than in a book. I bet this guy is one fascinating trainer. His knowledge just does not translate into book format as much I would like.
Evin
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: admissions professionals, parents, teachers, therapists, spies, and lawyers
Still haven't read the whole book, but what I have read and what I learned from the authors' lecture at the Spy Museum (in Washington, D.C.) was helpful, interesting, and entertaining. In my former life in MBA admissions this book provided helpful insights into behavior and truth.
James
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I wish there was more concrete examples. Instead, the book basically told you stuff you already knew. There were some interesting examples in there that made you think, but there needed to be more of them.
Angie
Feb 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
short but useful book about body language, and how one style does not fit all--its important to determina the baseline behavior for each person before starting the body language interpretation process, and to take into account the culture of the person under scrutiny.
Crbianfool
Dec 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, and extremely clear about both the strengths and weaknesses of the theory of evaluating body language. Very enjoyable read and a book that illustrates very simple strategies for decoding behavior.
Tanya
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Intriguing subject, the author could have done a bit better job if he would emphasize less on his experience and get more to the essence of the subject. It was a still nice read, light and informative.
Hj Epol Hj Kasim
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
very good and easy to understand...good for legal practitioners to make cross examination and spot the liars
Mina Sherif Georgi
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
A completely pointless book, I don't think I should give it more than 2 stars, the author's style is totally disorganized, even the diagrams aren't sufficient ..
Shi Huang
Mar 31, 2013 rated it liked it
kind of short. but have some good ideas are not mentioned in other books of the same genre. author's tone is cocky by the way.
Jasmine
Feb 05, 2011 is currently reading it
At first chapter... looks promising
Meghan Ewald
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very informative book. I may re-read it in hard copy so I can take notes and take my time with some of the experiments the author provides.
Eric
Nov 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Extremely qualified author. Interesting subject. Too much soft "maybe" or "sometimes" language. I get the point, it's not an exact science - don't keep repeating it!
Brian
Mar 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: business, brian
This was a real waste of time. I was hoping to get a lot more out of this book. I really didn't learn a whole lot. I found the book I was looking for with The Definitive Book of Body Language.
Angel
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. Anytime I can learn more about communication styles and ways to understand people better, its a good book for me.
Novianti
Oct 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
cool book!!!
Lisa
Mar 08, 2013 marked it as to-read
vv
Amer asSayyed Omar
البداية كانت رائعة .. ثم اصبح اسلوبه ممل لحد كبير .. لا تقرأ !
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Don't Murder Your Mystery: 24 Fiction-Writing Techniques to Save Your Manuscript from Turning Up D.O.A.
  • Everyday Survival: Why Smart People Do Stupid Things
  • Body Language For Dummies
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • Things I Wish My Mother Had Told Me: Lessons In Grace And Elegance
  • Crossing the Finish Line: Completing College at America's Pu
  • Billion-Dollar Lessons: What You Can Learn from the Most Inexcusable Business Failures of the Last 25 Years
  • Minding the Body, Mending the Mind
  • The Psychology of Body Language
  • Gestures: The Do's and Taboos of Body Language Around the World
  • Pitch Like a Girl: Get Respect, Get Noticed, Get What You Want
  • Emotional Resilience: Simple Truths for Dealing with the Unfinished Business of Your Past
  • My Orange Duffel Bag: A Journey to Radical Change
Gregory Hartley's expertise as an interrogator first earned him honors with the United States Army. More recently, it has drawn organizations such as the Defense Intelligence Agency, Navy SEALS, Federal law enforcement agencies, and national TV to seek his insights about "how to" as well as "why." He resides near Atlanta, Georgia.
More about Gregory Hartley
“To force a female to do things in male fashion is not equal opportunity, it is distorted idealism.” 140 likes