Start by marking “The Gift (The Butterfly Effect #1)” as Want to Read:

The Gift

(The Butterfly Effect #1)

I have something people want. I have something they cannot take or steal. I have something they'd kill for.
The something I have, isn't a possession, it's more.
Much, much more.
It's a gift.
It's part of me.

Watch the trailer: https://youtu.be/mMWAP6cYWUQ

To ask other readers questions about The Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gift

Start your review of The Gift (The Butterfly Effect #1)
Kate

No good deed goes unpunished.

Alexa learns that the hard way. After an emergency operation, the heroine suddenly starts having visions which she can’t explain. Helping that person gets her kidnapped and used. She either stays there or helps Jude or she gets to leave and everyone she loves will be killed.

I panicked at the beginning when I thought it was YA. But rest assured it goes more to the NA direction. I had to keep reminding myself at times when the heroine was being juvenile that she is o
Zo
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
this book is disgusting on a basic level.

i actually like Alexa (Lexi) for the most part but the whole "he's cute" bullshit is completely out of character for her at the time.

oh. and making a 25 yr old kidnapper have a possibly romantic / sexual relationship with a 17 yr old? disgusting.

jude isn't sexy or a bad boy or whatever, he's just nasty
Lady Delacour
Sep 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
Interesting premises but fell short.
Crude content, over usage of foul language.

Charlie  ✰ WLTB Blog ✰

5 big stars
Let me first say I just say I love this cover it is so catching just beautiful.
Wow
Margaret has done it again is there anything she can not write this is so different from what I have ever read before. I honestly did not know what to expect going into this. I knew it was going to be very different from the authors other books. Once I started I couldn’t put it down.
Alexa has a gift that people want her for and they will kill for it .. but they cannot steal or take it from her it
Laura Lee
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
By: Margaret McHeyzer
5 Stars

One thing I’ve come to expect when reading a Margaret McHeyzer book is that you will be pulled in from the beginning and won’t be able to stop till the very last page!! The Gift is no exception.

Lexi is 16 almost 17 when doubled over in pain. After being rushed to the hospital and undergoing surgery for appendicitis, things have changed with her. Change in a big-time way! It starts in the hospital…yet Lexi is afraid to tell anyone.

Ju
Noriko
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
This book is an epitome of 'love and hate relationship' for me. To be perfectly honest, there are a lot of things that didn't sit well with me and made me feel frustrated, but I admit there's something that kept me going. Mind you, I was real close to DNFing the book, but my curiosity and hope that there must be some closures in the end, made me get through, I was literally hanging by a sliver of hope.

My first impression toward this book is "repetitive." This book has got 176 pages in a kindl
Sandra Shipman ~ Two Book Pushers
The Gift is the first book in the Butterfly Effect series. Actually, I don't know if it's going to be a series or a duet. Either way it's the first one, right? I am going to make this short since I can't really say much about the storyline.

At the age of sixteen, Alexa's life changes. She wakes up confused and has no idea what has happened to her but she feels different. Then, it happens. Her gift is presented to her. She doesn't know what to do with it. But soon she finds out that people would
N.N. Light
Imagine if your body begins to go through changes, changes no one wouldn't believe. Suddenly, you're captured as your changes manifest into your "gift" and your captor wants your gift. Would you submit or would you fight for your very life. This is my first time reading McHeyzer (I know, I know, where have I been) and I'm pretty invested in this series. Superb suspense with intriguing characters along with an original plot. Highly recommend!

My Rating: 4.5 stars
Lucinda
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Another book that ended abruptly - it is a trend that is very annoying to me! Otherwise, it wasn't too bad, though it seems as if Stockholm Syndrome is taking hold! Don't fall for a guy that kidnaps you and denies your freedom by threatening to kill your family if you leave - that is not romantic, its abuse. ...more
CLiK Books
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly intriguing reading

I’m enthralled with this story. Margaret McHeyzer has created an interesting premise and her characters are well developed and intriguing.

Alexis and Jude certainly have an interesting relationship, or you might even say a non relationship.

What strikes me the most is Lexis dedication to her family and her best friend, Dallas. For a seventeen year old girl, she’s definitely one old soul but her sassiness is refreshing, if not annoying to Jude.

Loved this story, even
Gloria Herrera for As You Wish Reviews
Imagine waking up all of a sudden at the hospital and feeling strange. The nurse touches you to check your vitals and you are transported into a vision of what her future will be. FREAK OUT!

Alexa is a normal seventeen-year-old and these visions are making her very stressed. She avoids touching anyone, except her parents to avoid launching these visions. By accident, she touches a stranger at the mall and sees that he is about to be assassinated that evening. She is driven to warn him. It is a lo
Casey Carlisle
Dec 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: paranormal
Actual rating 1.5 stars.

I picked this up because of a few rave reviews from fellow bloggers, and the synopsis had a great hook. Plus, when I went to add it to my wish list on Amazon.com I discovered it was free. Bargain! I’ve read many books in this genre and had a lot of fun… but ‘The Gift’ was anything but for me. I think I’d rather have my teeth drilled, strapped down in a dentist chair.

The writing style felt juvenile. As well as the main character, Alexa, fell through a sequence of events an
KFForever
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
kfforever

Reviewed by Emma-Louise on behalf of KFF

“They say the eyes are a gateway to the soul.  In this case, they certainly are.”

Alexa Murphy was a normal 17 year old girl until her appendix burst and she nearly died. When she comes too in hospital she discovers she has been left with an extra ability, the ability to touch people and see their futures. Lexi is a kind-hearted young woman and she makes a decision that ends up putting her face to face with Jude Caley. Jude knows what she
Jess~ A Darlin' Doll and Her Books.
by Margaret McHeyzer

Went into this story expecting one thing but pleasantly surprised with so much more. She's able to take two aspects of a story I love that are nothing a like and bind them in nonstop page turning piece.
The story starts off with the heroine Alexa a.k.a Lexi in the hospital. After surgery she wakes to find she has gained a supernatural ability. Confused and scared of what people will think if she keeps it herself. After failing to help out so
Sara
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW! Margaret McHeyzer delivers yet another truly amazing book!

At the beginning, I wasn’t too sure if I was going to get into it as the heroine is only sixteen and still in high school. But let me tell you, it didn’t matter!

Lexi is rushed into surgery for appendicitis and when she wakes up, she’s not the same girl that she was.

She now has a gift, or is it a curse?

Lexi takes a trip to the mall with her bestie Dallas, and while there she “bumps” into a man. This man is Jude and he is not your e
Konny
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Gift by Margaret McHeyzer is the first book in The Butterfly Effect Series.
Meet Alexa. She´sa nearly 17 year old highschool girl. She discovers that she has a special ability, a ability " normal " human beings will lie, steal or kill for.
This book blew me away. I read it in one sitting, I couldn´t put it down.
The gift is the captivating story of loss, love and emerging from a dark place.
The Gift is a brilliant read, I love the writing and I love the words.
I really can´t wait ´til the story c
Danielle
Feb 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was awful.

Jude is a horrible, violent, disgusting person who kidnaps a 17 year old girl and threatens to kill her family if she tries to leave and yet apparently he's attractive? Just because he's rich and powerful and good looking and doesn't physically hurt Lexi does not make the relationship at all healthy or acceptable. How about we don't sell these ideas to teenage girls? Or anyone for that matter.

Also, how many times can the characters have the same conversation in a book that is
Steph's Romance Book Talk
I am left a bit speechless on this one. More like 4.25 stars because of the slow start. However, once it got going I could not, did not want to put this down. Then I was left begging Margaret McHeyzer for more immediately!! Can't wait to get my hands on The Curse!!

Provided as an ARC for a honest and voluntary review.

This specific video review: https://youtu.be/Ulms3p5GhyY

For other video book reviews checkout my YouTube Channel: Steph's Rom Book Talk
Mike Briley
Jan 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book is UNFINISHED. This is not a book but an episode. There is no ending. While the story line moves along quite reasonably in spite of a rather juvenile style, the fact that it simply stops and says - to be continued - like any soap opera, is not acceptable.
A book, Ms Mcheyzer, has a beginning, a middle and ... an end. This end can contain loose ends teasing the reader to seek out a sequel but to simply leave the end hanging is unacceptable.
I therefore consider that this book is UNFINISHE
Angie
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG!! So intense

This story had me hooked from the beginning! It's full of twists and turns and I don't know whether to hate Jude or develop a major crush on him!
The second book cannot come fast enough!
C
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved-it, drama, 2017, suspense
What a page turner. Started out a little slow but then I sailed through it. Some laugh out loud really funny parts. Lexi is a pistol. I like her fire. I too, can't wait to read The Curse. So I preordered today.
I recommend this book.
Enjoy
Coco.V
Jul 02, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
💝FREE on Amazon & on iBooks today (7/2/2018)!💝
Patricia Hankins
Great

So far so good. This was waiting from beginning to end. Lexi had get cut out for her. I am puzzled why there is nothing from her mom and dad since her kidnapping
Kathy Rouchelle
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW! Well written book with an intriguing storyline that will grab you from the first page right to the cliffhanger end! Yep, it's a cliffie! But that's ok because that just means that there more to read, more intrigue, more mystery and excitement and more of Mr. Hotness that is one Jude Caley.

Lexie is just sixteen years old when she after receiving emergency surgery, is given the "gift". When she touches someone, or someone touches her she can see the future, their future and that scares the h
Carla
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Carla's Five Star Review

Okay, let me first say that I really loved this book! It is the start of what I am sure is going to be an amazing series!

I went into this one blind, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Oh, and this is also my first time reading anything written by this author. With that said, I am glad to say that this story was outstanding.

Alexa is a seventeen year old girl who was rushed into surgery with appendicitis. When she awakes post surgery, it doesn't take her long to figure out th
sh(e)reader
This started off interestingly enough ... then totally went downhill. I had to force myself to finish and even with under 200 pages, it felt looong.

The premise: near death experience and now she can catch glimpses of the future by touching people. I liked that.

But once she was kidnapped by a 25-year old gangster who is going to keep her for her ability, oy! Utterly eye-rolling. The "relationship" between Jude and Lexi was so unreal. He has kidnapped her and says he'll kill her parents and best
Mary
Started off pretty good, but I'm having the same trouble I always have when someone suggests a book about a girl falling in love with her captor: How can you be attracted to someone who repeatedly threatens you or your family? Not buying it. Not romantic at all. He scares her and makes her cry after ruining her life. Not swoon-worthy, sorry. I get him falling for her. I don't get her falling for him.

I did enjoy the stuff about her gift, though. I'll read the sequel, but I'm having trouble with
Stephanie
Interesting premise, but goes sideways fast

The narrating style is not my preference, but the concept appealed to me. We spend a lot of time setting up the main character, but you don't know much about her by the end of the book. I only finished this book, because I kept hoping it would turn back. It did not.

*Spoilers*
Once Lexi is held captive, I started skimming. It became too Stockholm Syndrome, until she remembered she should be angry. I feel no connection to the main character. I wish the plo
Amber J
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Teens and up. Lovers of paranormal, young adult, twisted romance.

Rating 3.36 out of 5 stars

Something was wrong.
Or maybe somthing was right.
This is how I recieved my gift.
. . . Or maybe it's my curse. - Margaret McHeyzer, The Gift

After having to an emergency appendectomy 17 year old Alexa discovers that she can get glimpses into someone's future through touch. If this isn't hard enough to get use to. She suddenly finds herself a kidnapped victim of a handsome but dangerous man named Jude. A man she recently saved with her gift. Now he wants to

Terri Turner
This is my first book by this author and I absolutely loved it. I'm not going to lie and say the cover didn't draw me to this book because it did - it is stunning and so effective. The writing flowed effortlessly and the story was brilliant and unusual. I like anything to do with this subject so that was an added bonus for me and I was really excited to read it.

Alexa is rushed to hospital with a burst appendix and while recovering from the surgery she realises much to her horror that things have
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Speechless (Unfortunate Souls Book 1)
  • Spiral (Spiral #1)
  • Awakening (The Equinox Pact #1)
  • Liar Liar (Liar Liar, #1)
  • Mindspeak (Mindspeak, #1)
  • The Amplified (The Amplified #1)
  • Fearless (King, #1)
  • Marked (Soul Guardians #1)
  • Dawn's Promise (Silent Wings #1)
  • Dealing with Demons
  • Bound to Darkness (Shadow Bound, #1)
  • Fear University Series: Books 1-3 + Novella
  • Moonburner (Moonburner Cycle, #1)
  • The Healer (The Healer, #1)
  • Chasing Echoes (Chasing Echoes #1)
  • Rivals (Dragon Reign #1)
  • Fury Frayed (Of Fates and Furies #1)
  • Stranger (Academy of Peculiars #1)

NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLING AUTHOR OF UGLY AND MISTRUST

**Write something worth reading**

I'm Margaret and I'm a self-published author.
Recently I was fortunate in obtaining New York Times best selling status on my YA/NA book - Ugly, and my YA book - Mistrust.

My last three books have been YA and I'm completely in love with the genre. I love being able to communicate with people through my words and

The Butterfly Effect (2 books)
  • The Curse (The Butterfly Effect, #2)